ADVERTISEMENT

Ryan Kriener vs Aaron White

If you had told me when he showed up on campus that RK would some day be making money playing basketball, at ANY level, I would have called you nuts. Even on a relatively minor stage, I'm still impressed that he's been able to carve out any type of pro career. Good on him.

If you had told me when he showed up on campus that RK would some day be making money playing basketball, at ANY level, I would have called you nuts. Even on a relatively minor stage, I'm still impressed that he's been able to carve out any type of pro career. Good on him.
It’s also kind of amazing that a player like RK has been a bit of a missing link every year since he left. His toughness and fight down low is something Iowa has needed more of, especially in the tournament.

Honestly he was probably the best backup center I can remember. He had a pretty solid all around game. Still as you said, a little surprising.....

I was a Kriener fan. The guy always played with effort, produced, and was pretty damn clutch fir a guy who didn't start. Probably was one of the most underrated Hawks we've had.
Super underrated. He was the guy that got us the 2020 National Championship. How soon the people here forget important facts like that.

Having said that, we could have really used him in 2021. Just like Olaseni, it goes to show that we really should redshirt any freshman big that isn’t an immediate impact player. Luka and Owen were ready to play as freshmen. Several others weren’t and could have used the extra season.

Reactions: AEG82 and nelly02
Super underrated. He was the guy that got us the 2020 National Championship. How soon the people here forget important facts like that.

Having said that, we could have really used him in 2021. Just like Olaseni, it goes to show that we really should redshirt any freshman big that isn’t an immediate impact player. Luka and Owen were ready to play as freshmen. Several others weren’t and could have used the extra season.
Yeah, concurred. Big O is the player I always revert back to when I say I wish we could've had one more year with him outside of the big names like Murray, Garza, or Clark. I feel like he would've been all conference, or at least all defense, and had some big options set up for him afterwards. I always get pissed thinking about how his time was mismanaged here. I wanted him redshirted his last two years because he barely played so often but when he did, it was always impactful. I used to get frustrated with Fran about that one, no doubt. That was probably my first red flag with the coach. I just didn't know how he couldn't see it.

Reactions: BirdistheWord

I was surprised in his last year he only averaged about 8 points. I thought he was more productive on offense. He would slip in some crazy dunks, transition or jump shots but we had some other scorers for sure.

Kreiner improved steadily throughout his career. He really got a raw deal being a senior when covid canceled the tournament.

I think one of Frans biggest blunder being the Iowa coach was not redshirting Gabe Olaseni. He played garbage minutes that year. He would have been a very valuable backup center to Woodbury on an already very good 2015-16 squad.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT