ADVERTISEMENT

S&C Coach?

clhawks00

HR MVP
Mar 8, 2012
What are the names that are possible here? Anybody hearing anything regarding the timeframe of the hire?

So - many posters complain about how undersized and weak the Hawks look and then we suggest coaches with no S & C credentials. Huh?
images

Jay knows what the top of the podium looks like and he knows what the inside of the weight room looks like also. That being said, someone like McD would be a great fit. He was always very strong and had a gas tank as big as anyone. I know that he is still competing but I think he would be perfect.

So - many posters complain about how undersized and weak the Hawks look and then we suggest coaches with no S & C credentials. Huh?

Ohio State and Mizzou have former wrestlers as S&C coaches. I'm sure there are more.

If Iowa continues to go the ex wrestler route I hope they find someone that is able to work with and learn from the S&C staff at Iowa.

Varner is a monster. I don't like him, and like most others, he doesn't like us. I wouldn't want him in Iowa City, ever.

I suspect many Iowa fans felt this way about Tim Hartung before he joined the staff. The same could apply Jared Frayer and Ben Berhow, although Hawk fans probably didn't have anywhere near the disdain for those guys that they might have for Varner. Hartung and Frayer did respectable jobs for Iowa and were welcomed into the family. Berhow has blended in just fine and also seems to be doing a solid job.

I don't see Varner ever joining the Iowa staff, but if he were interested and our staff felt it was a good fit, I'd say "welcome aboard" in a second. I think we'd be foolish not to bring him on if the timing and circumstances were right on both sides.

Reactions: el dub
We need frayer back in the S&C spot. We had some good times when he was there.

Jay Borschel gets my vote. Ok, maybe McDonough or Jake Herbert.
Borschel seems to be pumped about getting his new Wrestling Academy off the ground. Maybe he could do both, but doubtful. These jobs rarely go to someone who isn't a former wrestler however do they? I would assume most who hold these positions aren't the ideal "Strength and Conditioning" guys, in the true sense of the position. Perhaps I just don't follow it closely enough.

Reactions: el dub
The Hawks' lifting form is cringe inducing. It's not a surprise that we have injuries linger far too long and aren't as strong. There was a video about a year ago that was following a workout and it was eye-opening, then I saw it again in-person and it hurt my back just watching.

Reactions: Gobblin
The Hawks' lifting form is cringe inducing. It's not a surprise that we have injuries linger far too long and aren't as strong. There was a video about a year ago that was following a workout and it was eye-opening, then I saw it again in-person and it hurt my back just watching.
Agreed. We aren't living in 1980 anymore - lifting technique and how to build real strength isn't a secret.

Borschel seems to be pumped about getting his new Wrestling Academy off the ground. Maybe he could do both, but doubtful. These jobs rarely go to someone who isn't a former wrestler however do they? I would assume most who hold these positions aren't the ideal "Strength and Conditioning" guys, in the true sense of the position. Perhaps I just don't follow it closely enough.

I looked at a few programs last night and this doesn't appear to be universal.

Regardless, the U of I doesn't have a strength and conditioning staff that can at the very least used as an advisor and resource. I do have to wonder about the coaching staffs commitment to strength training or new ideas on the subject. Something to keep an eye on.

Reactions: 86_90
Take this with a grain of salt, as its from a sources, source very very close to the NDSU program. My source has told me that according to DSJ, Iowa doesn't lift legs very much if at all when weight training. That they mainly trained legs by running stadiums, and staying in stance for long periods of time to get them in wrestling endurance shape as opposed to strength & explosiveness as well. I think if true, this might be a reason Iowa has had quite a few knee injures / leg injuries as of late. Just a few over the past few years that i can name off the top of my head who have had lower body injuries sometime during the season. DSJ, Mike Evans, Thomas Gilman, Bobby Telford, Mark Ballweg, Sammy Brooks, Josh Dziewa, Ethen Lofthouse, Nathan Burak, even Morningstar. After thinking about it, I thought that it could be probable, if true, but ya never know. Just something to think about since we're on the topic of Strength & Conditioning. Also have noticed many make the comment that our legs look small compared to many other teams wrestlers.

If anyone has any contacts on the team, I've been a fan of Iowa wrestling for some time and would be happy to volunteer my services on an informal basis or as an advisor. I don't have the qualifications to serve as a proper S&C coach because I would not be an ideal fit for the conditioning side of things, but I would still be able to assist in capacity. I do know strength training and would be willing to provide my input if it meant helping our wrestlers. I was a graduate student at the university up until 2014 and now live in Des Moines; I've been coaching strength athletes for a few years and have spent a long time as one myself, and my credentials include a world record in the sport of powerlifting at 148 lbs. (512 squat, 347 bench press, 622 deadlift, 1482 total, and here's the video for proof: ). If anyone knows someone associated with the program and wants to forward my contact info, my email's KyleKeough148@gmail.com

Reactions: 86_90 and FanOHawk
Varner would be great, but what about nick helfin? He has degree in the field and has wrestling credentials.

Varner is way too accomplished to be a S&C coach. It's almost silly to even mention his name
Agreed. Nick Heflin sounds like a decent option to me. Don't know what he's up to, but the guy looked the part for sure late in his career.

If anyone has any contacts on the team, I've been a fan of Iowa wrestling for some time and would be happy to volunteer my services on an informal basis or as an advisor. I don't have the qualifications to serve as a proper S&C coach because I would not be an ideal fit for the conditioning side of things, but I would still be able to assist in capacity. I do know strength training and would be willing to provide my input if it meant helping our wrestlers. I was a graduate student at the university up until 2014 and now live in Des Moines; I've been coaching strength athletes for a few years and have spent a long time as one myself, and my credentials include a world record in the sport of powerlifting at 148 lbs. (512 squat, 347 bench press, 622 deadlift, 1482 total, and here's the video for proof: ). If anyone knows someone associated with the program and wants to forward my contact info, my email's KyleKeough148@gmail.com

Very impressive, Kyle! Sounds like you could be a valuable resource even if as a volunteer adviser.

Reactions: FanOHawk
Varner is way too accomplished to be a S&C coach. It's almost silly to even mention his name
Not sure I can agree. He has no coaching experience and being on the staff at Iowa would be an excellent start to his coaching career if that's what he wants to do. It is a bit of a pipe dream but if he's interested, so am I.

Looking like Hulk and being qualified to be an S&C coach are not the same thing. You need a guy who knows what he is doing. Also the S&C guy does not get to wrestle with the guys so niether past wrestling credentials nor aptitude as a workout partner mean much either unless you are just using the job to keep a guy around until you can move him to a regular coaching spot.

Take this with a grain of salt, as its from a sources, source very very close to the NDSU program. My source has told me that according to DSJ, Iowa doesn't lift legs very much if at all when weight training. That they mainly trained legs by running stadiums, and staying in stance for long periods of time to get them in wrestling endurance shape as opposed to strength & explosiveness as well. I think if true, this might be a reason Iowa has had quite a few knee injures / leg injuries as of late. Just a few over the past few years that i can name off the top of my head who have had lower body injuries sometime during the season. DSJ, Mike Evans, Thomas Gilman, Bobby Telford, Mark Ballweg, Sammy Brooks, Josh Dziewa, Ethen Lofthouse, Nathan Burak, even Morningstar. After thinking about it, I thought that it could be probable, if true, but ya never know. Just something to think about since we're on the topic of Strength & Conditioning. Also have noticed many make the comment that our legs look small compared to many other teams wrestlers.
And I believe the NDSU won the 2014 S&C program of the year (for FCS). ALL of their athletes do olympic lifts, deadlifts, squats, presses... the foundation of strength. Too many people try to get cute, to make their program sport-specific too early in the strength process. Conditioning is the easy part and doesn't take nearly as long to peak as strength so we should be focusing on that with this hire, not some former wrestler who happens to be strong because he's gifted genetically.

Frayer is out of the question. Last I heard he is out of the sport.
Varner is not going to be an option from his side. He has some other things cooking from what I hear though not sure what that is. I know I am going to get hit for saying this but he is not a very easy cat to be around. Good with kids and stuff but does not play well with others outside his circle.
I agree that we need a new approach to the S&C side. Football guy is a great idea. An Olympic weight coach would help.

Looking like Hulk and being qualified to be an S&C coach are not the same thing. You need a guy who knows what he is doing. Also the S&C guy does not get to wrestle with the guys so niether past wrestling credentials nor aptitude as a workout partner mean much either unless you are just using the job to keep a guy around until you can move him to a regular coaching spot.

The s&c coach can roll with the guys under certain circumstances. Not every day at practice but can before and after practice, weekends, off season it just can't be mandatory practice time for the wrestler.

I just want to see our wrestlers put in a position to do their best!

I like the way you think! It wouldn't hurt to call the wrestling office. They're quite accessible. I have little doubt you could speak with one of the coaches directly without any problems. It can't hurt to volunteer your services. If nothing else, I'm sure they'd appreciate the gesture.

I like the way you think! It wouldn't hurt to call the wrestling office. They're quite accessible. I have little doubt you could speak with one of the coaches directly without any problems. It can't hurt to volunteer your services. If nothing else, I'm sure they'd appreciate the gesture.

Thank you--that's good to know and I'll get in touch with them!

Reactions: FanOHawk
Progressive overload is the way to increase strength for an exercise. However...what proof is there that gaining strength in the "olympic lifts" applies more broadly to other movements than development of strength in any other movement? People are critiquing lifting form and advocating for learning proper clean & snatch form. Cleans and snatches are techniques (techniques that take a lot of practice). Cheater curls or simply requesting that weight be moved from one point to another are also techniques (techniques that take little practice). Wrestlers need to have strength from very odd positions and angles. Is there anything that proves that an athlete who has developed strength in the clean and jerk movement will be stronger than an athlete who has developed strength in a cheater curl movement as it applies to pulling in a leg when an opponent sprawls? I don't get the people who cite research saying that the principles of developing strength are well documented. Yes, they're well documented as it applies to increasing strength in the same movement you're training. However, even in World's Strongest Man...the athletes shift focus to very specific training that closely mimics the actual movement that occurs in competition. I call bogus on the idea that its worth the time for wrestlers to learn proper snatch technique. Snatching is not wrestling. Snatching technique takes a lot of practice...is there anything that would suggest snatching applies more to wrestling than chin ups? If not, I think I'll have my guys get stronger at the simple technique of doing chin ups while the SC guy is teaching snatch form for 2 months.

I can't deal with the stupidity of what I just read. Proper lifting techniques are vital to actually getting any benefit at all from the lifting and to reduce injury. I think Kyle Keough probably just had his mind explode reading that.

Not that I get a vote or an opinion in the matter; but I'd be happier with a non-wrestler who has actual strength and conditioning training/experience than a former wrestler who has little or none of that training.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT