ADVERTISEMENT

S&C Coach?

It seems like we are out matched in the strength department at about every weight when we go against ohio state and penn state. It would be nice to see a more explosive lineup. We should consider that with our next hire.
I would say Penn State had stronger wrestlers at 2 weights (133 and 174) and Ohio state was stronger at 2 weights (165 and 141). I do think we can get better in the strength department, but the above post is an exaggeration, IMO.

Does any of the other major teams have strictly a S & C coach? Would a former or present Olympic wrestler fit this position? Seems like they would have had a coach for all Olympic teams....

I just saw a video on Ohio St. and their's is a former wrestler, I should rewatch the video and see if his degree is in the field.

Does any of the other major teams have strictly a S & C coach? Would a former or present Olympic wrestler fit this position? Seems like they would have had a coach for all Olympic teams....

Just with a routine google search on Penn State, Ohio State, and Oklahoma State they all have a Strength and Conditioning staff that works on developing those skills in their school's athletes. Strength and Conditioning coach for wrestling might as well be called Assistant Wrestling Coach. Very, very few appear to have strength training credentials and why should they? The universities have an interest and resources in having a dedicated staff to develop their athlete's potential in all sports. The question still remains... Is the Hawkeye wrestling team utilizing these resources? If I go to PSU, tOSU, and Ok State's websites, I can see a staff member who specifically works with their wrestling team. Iowa does not appear to have an actual strength and conditioning staff member who identifies themselves as overseeing the strength and conditioning wrestling team.

Penn State's
Oklahoma State's
Ohio State's
Iowa's

Agreed 100%! A good barbell-based program, progressed linearly in the off-season, modified via training volume for possible hypertrophy needs, will work well. As the season approaches, the focus shifts a bit from general to specific movements, but the core of the program remains in place. As wrestlers progress, the progression model changes from linear to non-linear and specificity is trained through an increased focus on strength endurance via timed training and rest-pauses. I only wrestled in high school and I know squat about what it means to use your body as a very good wrestler, but it seems to me that the special qualities that the sport needs are: 1.) hip extension (DUH), 2.) thoracic extension 3.) grip strength 4.) trunk rotation and core training, particularly across the transverse plane 5.) anterior chain, particularly for strength endurance 6.) and pulling.
Great post. I think. But I know next to nothing about strength training. ;)

However, having been involved a bit in youth wrestling, it's been my impression that the importance of grip strength is undervalued by many coaches and parents. I think it's key. I think all kids should watch video of Dan Hodge (now in his 80's) crushing a whole apple with one hand.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...&mid=DF1292EBD450CEDB9DFDDF1292EBD450CEDB9DFD

i see where luke lofthouse is still listed on the coaching roster on hawkeyesports.com

Clearly not a candidate for 2015-16, but for subsequent years?

http://www.hawkeyesports.com/sports/m-wrestl/mtt/nathan_burak_803613.html
Moug may be on to something. When Nathan was a true freshman at Iowa he was a pretty big kid. He is an absolute monster now. He looked massive at Universities. Also its not like he was down a weight as a freshman. He wrestles the same weight now, but clearly has been putting in significant gym time in. With his major, I wonder if coaching is a goal of his.

Reactions: goiahawkeyes
Lee is going to be a Hawk and Suriano I think will be a Nittany Lion. I think it's the best move for him and that we shouldn't worry. We are getting two great ones with Renteria and Meija who I think will be 33 and 41 and have more upside than Suriano.

Lee is going to be a Hawk and Suriano I think will be a Nittany Lion. I think it's the best move for him and that we shouldn't worry. We are getting two great ones with Renteria and Meija who I think will be 33 and 41 and have more upside than Suriano.

I agree but I certainly didn't want to discourage suri from coming here. I flat out think of all the p4p guys that Mejia is laying under the radar and has the biggest upside. I'd easily go to war in a few years with
125 Lee
133 mejia
141 renteria
149 Happel
157 kemmerer
165 marinelli
174 paddock
184 Wilcke
197 Holloway
HWT stoll or bradley

But man. How different would that lineup be with Hall at 174?

My biggest thing is I would rather have Lee than Suriano and I think Suriano coming here cuts in Lee's money. Now if we could have both, then I'd be pumped but I don't want Lee at Penn State.

I agree but I certainly didn't want to discourage suri from coming here. I flat out think of all the p4p guys that Mejia is laying under the radar and has the biggest upside. I'd easily go to war in a few years with
125 Lee
133 mejia
141 renteria
149 Happel
157 kemmerer
165 marinelli
174 paddock
184 Wilcke
197 Holloway
HWT stoll or bradley

But man. How different would that lineup be with Hall at 174?

Good group

All fantastic prospects, but I'd absolutely love to see Suriano as a Hawk, and I realize you guys are just talking gut feelings. Hoping he makes a great decision and joins the best lower weight program in the land, hands down. His style seems like a great fit. Let's land them all!

I can't imagine Suriano signing with the Hawks could in any way deter Lee from signing here. If he wants to be a Hawk, he will, it he doesn't he won't. I heard some of his interviews from the World Team camp where he said that he typically tries to get on the mat with guys older and bigger than him and doesn't have a problem getting thumped every now and again. Suriano would be a fantastic workout partner for him and he knows it. I think at times we undervalue Suriano as a recruit. He's an absolute stud, who will likely be a 4 X AA, national champ caliber kid. If he ends up a Hawk everyone on this site (PSU and Okie St fans notwithstanding) will love him. He's a beast!

I was saying it from a money standpoint. I don't think it is in the Hawks best interest to have serious money tied up in Lee, Suriano, Renteria, and Meija. If I had to choose between Lee and Suriano (and I hope we could find a way to get all of them), then Lee would be my choice.

I was saying it from a money standpoint. I don't think it is in the Hawks best interest to have serious money tied up in Lee, Suriano, Renteria, and Meija. If I had to choose between Lee and Suriano (and I hope we could find a way to get all of them), then Lee would be my choice.
Meja came across as a kid that didn't care about the money. I love that kid already.

:rolleyes:
There you guys go balancing the books again. BTW, how much are Renteria and Mejia getting?

Reactions: moosemonster
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT