ADVERTISEMENT

Season Ticket Drop from 2014: 17% - Ouch

Comparing end-of-2014 numbers with June 2015 numbers results in a misleading percentage.

Still early, but disheartening. Also, they gave some percentages on students, but no numbers yet. Sounds like freshman purchasers have increased, which is good.

So if they hit ~37k, 4k more faculty, 7k students, puts it at ~48k.

Need to sell some singles.

I thought it would be worse actually as well. Hope springs eternal.

I've personally taken the opportunity the last couple of years to get into the stadium cheap. It sucks to be where the program has been at but we are Hawks to the last, its too damn late to give up now.

did anyone edit that article? half the sentences were missing words and didnt make sense. Im not trying to be a grammar nazi, but it's a newspaper.

Barta is disgusting. As a fan, I don't care to be called "the general public category", and nothing but a commodity percentage in his business plan for Iowa. There are still some people who actually care about the college game and the fans instead of bottom lines. The Barta types should be managers at Radio Shack or K-Mart or somewhere else. He misses the point completely.

17% is more than we would lose by eliminating a home game from the schedule.

I'm confused by your math, not that it really matters. That 17% is about 7,000 tickets. Isn't each home game sellout worth about $5M?

Not to mention all of the other impacts, including the impact on me.

I'm confused by your math, not that it really matters. That 17% is about 7,000 tickets. Isn't each home game sellout worth about $5M?

I was just saying that if attendance dropped 17% overall, it would be more than simply wiping a home game from the schedule. Probably a poor point given the specific numbers being discussed.

He's saying the percent over the course of the season. To use your numbers 7,000 season tickets x 7 home games = ~49k unsold seats over the course of the season. Of course that's really not true since a lot of those will get sold as singles. Interesting point though.

Another unnecessary thread.

Fantastic.

Could you please list topics that
meet your criteria that should be discussed on this message board? I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say sorry to upset you great message board messiah.

Another unnecessary thread.

Fantastic.

Could you please list topics that
meet your criteria that should be discussed on this message board? I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say sorry to upset you great message board messiah.

I didn't say the topic is unnecessary, but threads about season ticket sales have been produced ad nauseum, whether its about so and so not caring any more and the other guy not wanting to spend the money.

All it is, is negativity. We all know the last couple years have been hell as a fan. Stop dwelling on it. You can make changes without repeating the same diatribe over and over.

Idk that I've ever "constantly whined and bitched" about it, coach. You complaining about my complaining about your/debbie downer's complaining is a viscious cycle.

It would be interesting to know how many of these season tickets are regularly sold season tickets or if they are including any discounted tickets sold to companies or groups to boost that number a small amount. And as a note, if they release an official statement about something a thread will probably follow.

Any single game sales will be highly dependent on performance.
Early season losses to isu and/or pitt will drop those numbers even further.

At this point, about the only thing that will get more fans to return is winning. Gimmicky promotions aren't going to do it.

Reactions: Kyle Broflovski
Just weeding out.
I like it. Maybe my grand kids won't hear as much foul language or deal with as many stumbling drunks.
The drinking will get worse if the product on the field stays bad. It becomes more about the party since the team isn't fun to watch. Here is to hoping CJ stays healthy and takes the strain off some livers.

Reactions: Cougar63
The Register article says that general-public season ticket sales are expected to fall 3,000 to 5,000 (roughly 10 percent) short of last year's total. The article is here: http://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sp...ry-barta-stands-behind-kirk-ferentz/29186419/

there's a lot of factors affecting ticket sales:

* MN is the best home game
* Iowa lost 3 home games last season, including to an Iowa State team that went 2-10.
* Iowa is 10-11 in home games since 2012.
* "Ferentz Fatigue" is alive and well among fans.
* Fans could justifiably be viewing 2015 as a wait-and-see season, knowing they'll have the opportunity to buy a ticket for face value (or less, on the secondary market) last-minute, then return for 2016's more attractive slate that includes Iowa State, Wisconsin, Michigan and Nebraska

Iowa's first two games will be telling. Beating ISU twice — Illinois State, then Iowa State in Ames — could entice on- or outside-the-fence fans to pull the trigger for a 7 p.m. game the following Saturday against Pittsburgh and beyond

IOWA FOOTBALL TICKET SALES BY YEAR

Data supplied by the University of Iowa in regards to season ticket sales and attendance since the 2005 season (*—as of June 19; the UI said it expects faculty and student sales to be similar to 2014, and expects a few thousand more general-public season tickets to be sold):

Year — Season ticket sales (General + faculty/staff + students) — Avg. attendance

• 2005 — 54,584 (40,456 + 3,864 + 10,264) — 70,585
  • 2006 — 54,308 (40,092 + 3,684 + 10,532) —70,585
  • 2007 — 54,357 (40,284 + 3,929 + 10,144) — 70,585
  • 2008 — 51,985 (38,397 + 3,937 + 9,651) — 70,169
  • 2009 — 51,497 (37,125 + 4,078 + 10,294) — 70,214
  • 2010 — 54,620 (40,101 + 4,206 + 10,313) — 70,585
  • 2011 — 55,457 (40,506 + 4,438 + 10,513) — 70,585
  • 2012 — 54,490 (39,786 + 4,333 + 10,371) — 70,474
  • 2013 — 50,229 (38,637 + 4,210 + 7,382) — 67,125
  • 2014 — 48,268 (37,823 + 4,005 + 6,440) — 67,512
  • 2015 — 36,514* (30,686 + 3,394 + 2,434) — TBD
Note: Reported ticket data does not include premium seating, which is annually sold out and counts 2,280 people toward each game's final attendance figure (and counts as 1,970 in ticket sales). Premium seating is sold out again in 2015 and the UI's Rick Klatt said there is a waiting list for those club-level and suite tickets.

The numbers are a little misleading as a previous poster alluded to since there has been such a decline over the last 3 years. My take is KF better win a lot of games this year.

I am an alum and dropped my season tickets this year in an effort to add my voice to the unhappy camper group. I will still probably attend all of the home games and some of the away games, so I'm not abandoning the program, I just want Barta/KF to feel the urgency to get this ship going in the right direction.

what stands out to me is the 55,457 season tix sold in 2011 (the #s have just gone down from there) and the fact that we are only at 36,514 now.

Iowa has to sell almost 12,000 more just to equal last year's total.

With the lackluster schedule, Ferentz fatigue, our HD TVs, not sure how much hope there is in equaling last year's numbers.

Do single tickets require an extra donation to purchase like season tickets? If not, they are losing that money too.

Nothing like recruits seeing a bunch of empty seats. Hope the loss of present verbals before signing day is at a minimum.

Barta is disgusting. As a fan, I don't care to be called "the general public category", and nothing but a commodity percentage in his business plan for Iowa. There are still some people who actually care about the college game and the fans instead of bottom lines. The Barta types should be managers at Radio Shack or K-Mart or somewhere else. He misses the point completely.
The decrease in college football ticket sales is not a Barta problem, a KF, or even an Iowa problem. Go out and read, it happening nationwide. Here's an interesting take on the situation; http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/2013/college-football-live-game-attendance/

Last edited:
Nothing like recruits seeing a bunch of empty seats. Hope the loss of present verbals before signing day is at a minimum.

I highly doubt that an early summer announcement of marginally or moderately lower season ticket sales is going to influence any recruit's verbal commitment.

To the extent that it does, the recruit will soon find out that declining ticket sales is widespread across college football in recent years.

Iowa has to sell almost 12,000 more just to equal last year's total.

Unless I read the article wrong, they need to sell 7k more tickets to equal last years total, not that this changes the overall point.

They did say student tickets are up, but failed to report the numbers.

He's saying the percent over the course of the season. To use your numbers 7,000 season tickets x 7 home games = ~49k unsold seats over the course of the season. Of course that's really not true since a lot of those will get sold as singles. Interesting point though.

Yes, but that math isn't difficult. $65 x 7,000 x 7 games = $3.2M. Whereas that 7th game is worth, what, $5M full, $4M at 60,000?

I get the point, and it is interesting, but the math isn't quite there.

If I'm analyzing the trend from the Register numbers correctly, a 4k drop in season tickets from 12-13 led to a 3k drop in overall, and despite a 2k drop in season tickets, a tiny rise in overall the next year, so if this year is, in fact, a 5k drop in season tickets, it stands to reason that there will be 3k less overall on average. That would put numbers roughly around 64k. Disheartening, but not the doom and gloom preached here for months.

Win the winnable games (all of them this year), and singles will boom.

As the article said, the last sub 60k game was in 2002. Winning. Cures. All.

Uh, no there aren't

Reactions: OldTownPepe
Yes, but that math isn't difficult. $65 x 7,000 x 7 games = $3.2M. Whereas that 7th game is worth, what, $5M full, $4M at 60,000?

I get the point, and it is interesting, but the math isn't quite there.
I'm not arguing your point, but to explain what I meant-- if we paced at -17% for the season, all in, and hit that pace for season ticket sales, it would be like having a full stadium for one fewer home game (1/7 = 14.3%). I shouldn't have projected that number in this context. However, at some point if ticket sales continue to falter, the athletic department should consider scheduling fewer, higher quality home games, rather than more, lesser home games.

OR, just as many, but higher quality. That'd be nice. No more Illinois State please. If it has to be FCS, at least use our in-state school.

Reactions: slkoz
ADVERTISEMENT