ADVERTISEMENT

Season Ticket Holder Survey

Another embarrassing act of desperation. I guess all we can hope for is that the players rise above it all and win, and that the new president cleans house in the athletic department on day one, starting with Barta and Ferentz and then the so-called marketing folks. A new broom sweeps clean.

Another embarrassing act of desperation. I guess all we can hope for is that the players rise above it all and win, and that the new president cleans house in the athletic department on day one, starting with Barta and Ferentz and then the so-called marketing folks. A new broom sweeps clean.
So you think if the players rise above and win, then they are going to clean house? It usually doesn't work that way. That being said, that survey was a total joke. I get that they are trying, but trying and failing doesn't help anybody.

Reactions: clickhere 01
"So you think if the players rise above and win, then they are going to clean house? It usually doesn't work that way." I hear ya, trippnschmidt. But actually, it often does work that way. And not only in college football. When the new boss comes in, that boss often cleans house regardless of how successful or unsuccessful the organization was before. I've seen it first hand in the news business and in education, and I've read of it in almost every other field there is.

Nebraska fired Bo Pellini despite a 66-27 record over seven seasons.

Like I said, a new broom sweeps clean, and no place needs a cleaner sweep than Fort Kinnick.

Last edited:
Doesn't doing it the right way include winning and graduating players? I've always thought it should. Maybe the University has a different definition.

IMO, Season ticket holders, or any Hawkeye fans for that matter, watches the games to see the team win. A fan of any team does this. It's not that hard to understand. For a season ticket holder the most important thing for the Hawkeyes to do is win, or else why go to the games at all?

I don't know what the athletic department was trying to do here. It's all important, but winning should definitely be at the top for a fan.

I ignored it when I received it, and it certainly sounds dumb reading it here.

To respond to Gary: No, I don't go to "see them win," I go for enjoyment, which happens to differing degrees in Ws and Ls. Some wins aren't that fun, but at least you won, some losses are still incredibly exciting and fun.

You seem to be saying that no one should go to a game you "won't" win, which I find sad and almost absurd.

I think, often, less people go to games where we should win, and do so easily. They/I am not there to win.

I ignored it when I received it, and it certainly sounds dumb reading it here.

To respond to Gary: No, I don't go to "see them win," I go for enjoyment, which happens to differing degrees in Ws and Ls. Some wins aren't that fun, but at least you won, some losses are still incredibly exciting and fun.

You seem to be saying that no one should go to a game you "won't" win, which I find sad and almost absurd.

I think, often, less people go to games where we should win, and do so easily. They/I am not there to win.

The only problem with this is that people don't know who's going to win, even if your team is a heavy underdog. Most people that go to games expecting their team to win, no matter how bad they are.

You also seem to be saying that you go to games for reasons of stature rather than to watch the Hawkeyes win. If you don't go to watch the Hawkeyes win, then that's the only other reason to go to the games. You're so full of s***, you could pass for a toilet.

Wow. My first take is this: The questions were poorly written. I had to take a breath and pause when I read a couple of them. I work in the world of corporate communications and PR and I can flat say Iowa fails miserably when it comes to its marketing efforts - specifically around the football program.

The survey is pointless. When it's all said and done, fans want a winning program. They don't come into work and brag to their co-workers that "well, you beat us on the field but we have a 78% graduation rate ...so eat me."

Iowa's marketing/PR"efforts" (I use that term loosely) around the football program have failed miserably. You have the guy leading the charge (GareBear) who waited about 3 years too long to address the fan apathy ... and just when fans had had enough after a disappointing 2014 season GareBear TOLD you Kirk is the right man for the job and basically, he does not care (that's the reality because he HAS to defend Kirk) what you think on that front (after all, GareBear gave Kirk the ironclad contract). So "deal with it" Iowa fans ...

And then GareBear tells (okay, asks) Kirk to hold a JANUARY press conference to tell us CJ will be his starter 7 MONTHS before the start of the next season. You know, this coming from the same coach who is as vanilla as vanilla gets; many times leaving fans in the dark about who is even starting on game day.

Of course Gary sprinkles in his "we have high expectations on the field" talk ... quickly followed by "Kirk does it the right way and has coached us to 3 Top 10 finishes ... blah, blah" (while NOT pointing out that we are 34-30 as of late and we haven't been ranked in the top 25 for 3+ years. And that we regularly now lose to ISU and we were blown out by Minnesota and Tennessee last season.

But then GareBear rallies the marketing folks and they come up with a plan to win you back with the lure of two night games ... and tantalize you with an extra hour or so of tailgating ... (oh, I almost forgot "Kinnick dollars") and let's not forget the discounted ticket packages ... And now in July let's send a pointless "survey" to our season tickets holders to ask them how important it is to them that we "do it the right way." So if fans all voted a "1" does that mean Iowa would abandon its conservative recruiting and hit the inner-city juco colleges?

It's interesting. I had season tickets for about 10 years and gave them up at the end of 2012 ... And the most bizarre thing to me is that not once I have been contacted by the university. Nobody called and asked me why. Nobody surveyed me. Nobody sent me a letter. Nothing. Why? Because GareBear counted on there being 100 other fans waiting in line to take my season tickets. When I said GareBear waited about 3 years too long to address the fan apathy, he is seeing it now ... because fans aren't lined up 100 deep waiting to take the tickets vacated by others (sure, some fans are taking advantage of it). But when it is all said and done, Kinnick may not see a sellout all season.

Yes, discounted tickets help. But at the core of it all is the guy leading the charge has already told you he is sticking behind the guy (Ferentz) who is leading the program. So ... unless we improve on going 34-30 ... surveys, discounted tickets ... none of it will matter. As long as GareBare and Kirk are running the show ... well ... it is what it is ... and it just becomes a matter of how patient of a fan are you and do you want to keep investing your hard-earned money for an average product. Everything else is smoke and mirrors.

Last edited:
Nebraska was regularly put in bad PR situations by Bo Pelini. Which would not have mattered one bit if he had championships (even a conference championship). He would have been retained. But his (and any coach) expectation is to win National Champs. Or at least be in the hunt, top 15 annually, top 10 mostly, and top 5 regularly. Had he done that, the Pelini-Cam that perpetually tracked him for the spitting, cussing, and hat-waving would have meant nothing.

Iowa is is a very different and even more difficult situation. Your coach has attained very high peaks at Iowa, given past history, and the lows have not been terribly low, also considering that same history. On top of it, Kirk is viewed as a VERY nice guy and has a contract problem. It's easy to fire a coach (Pelini) that half the fan base hates but can only win 9-10 games a year. If Pelini's behavior was unimpeachable, like Kirk's, Bo would probably still be at Nebraska.

"And your program is/will very soon be in the exact same situation with Riley.
Nicest guy in the world, and a thoroughly mediocre coach.
Good luck with that."
Dick Loudon

Just win baby. Doing it right is nice and all, but if ya have to bend the rules and sign talent with questionable character to field a good team, I'm OK with that. If you're not first, you're last!!

Wow. My first take is this: The questions were poorly written. I had to take a breath and pause when I read a couple of them. I work in the world of corporate communications and PR and I can flat say Iowa fails miserably when it comes to its marketing efforts - specifically around the football program.

The survey is pointless. When it's all said and done, fans want a winning program. They don't come into work and brag to their co-workers that "well, you beat us on the field but we have a 78% graduation rate ...so eat me."

Iowa's marketing/PR"efforts" (I use that term loosely) around the football program have failed miserably. You have the guy leading the charge (GareBear) who waited about 3 years too long to address the fan apathy ... and just when fans had had enough after a disappointing 2014 season GareBear TOLD you Kirk is the right man for the job and basically, he does not care (that's the reality because he HAS to defend Kirk) what you think on that front (after all, GareBear gave Kirk the ironclad contract). So "deal with it" Iowa fans ...

And then GareBear tells (okay, asks) Kirk to hold a JANUARY press conference to tell us CJ will be his starter 7 MONTHS before the start of the next season. You know, this coming from the same coach who is as vanilla as vanilla gets; many times leaving fans in the dark about who is even starting on game day.

Of course Gary sprinkles in his "we have high expectations on the field" talk ... quickly followed by "Kirk does it the right way and has coached us to 3 Top 10 finishes ... blah, blah" (while NOT pointing out that we are 34-30 as of late and we haven't been ranked in the top 25 for 3+ years. And that we regularly now lose to ISU and we were blown out by Minnesota and Tennessee last season.

But then GareBear rallies the marketing folks and they come up with a plan to win you back with the lure of two night games ... and tantalize you with an extra hour or so of tailgating ... (oh, I almost forgot "Kinnick dollars") and let's not forget the discounted ticket packages ... And now in July let's send a pointless "survey" to our season tickets holders to ask them how important it is to them that we "do it the right way." So if fans all voted a "1" does that mean Iowa would abandon its conservative recruiting and hit the inner-city juco colleges?

It's interesting. I had season tickets for about 10 years and gave them up at the end of 2012 ... And the most bizarre thing to me is that not once I have been contacted by the university. Nobody called and asked me why. Nobody surveyed me. Nobody sent me a letter. Nothing. Why? Because GareBear counted on there being 100 other fans waiting in line to take my season tickets. When I said GareBear waited about 3 years too long to address the fan apathy, he is seeing it now ... because fans aren't lined up 100 deep waiting to take the tickets vacated by others (sure, some fans are taking advantage of it). But when it is all said and done, Kinnick may not see a sellout all season.

Yes, discounted tickets help. But at the core of it all is the guy leading the charge has already told you he is sticking behind the guy (Ferentz) who is leading the program. So ... unless we improve on going 34-30 ... surveys, discounted tickets ... none of it will matter. As long as GareBare and Kirk are running the show ... well ... it is what it is ... and it just becomes a matter of how patient of a fan are you and do you want to keep investing your hard-earned money for an average product. Everything else is smoke and mirrors.

Agree
Was really bad. Keep in mind Barta's boss is a lame duck and no replacement mentioned.
He could fart on Sallys face and not get into trouble.

This survey was stupid, and is quite rightly being ridiculed.
Of course fans want to have a winning program. And while I hope that players obtain their degrees and avoid criminal activity I don't watch the games with that in mind.
The new university president should show Barta the door. Then KF should retire with dignity intact.

Reactions: sloehawk
Maybe they are testing the waters to see if fans would tolerate a "win at all costs" kind of coach with a checkered past.

Reactions: B1G
Maybe they are testing the waters to see if fans would tolerate a "win at all costs" kind of coach with a checkered past.

Interesting thought, but in the handful of "wish list" coaches, who would that even be? I'm talking about the fans' pool of wish list coaches. Furthermore, I actually don't think Hawkeye fans want to tolerate that kind of coach, but dammit I do want to win!

Interesting thought, but in the handful of "wish list" coaches, who would that even be? I'm talking about the fans' pool of wish list coaches. Furthermore, I actually don't think Hawkeye fans want to tolerate that kind of coach, but dammit I do want to win!
Bielema is believed to be blackballed by U of I administration due to his past behavior.

Need to survey the people who recently dropped and find out why. No one seems to understand that.

Reactions: PAULA_C
The only problem with this is that people don't know who's going to win, even if your team is a heavy underdog. Most people that go to games expecting their team to win, no matter how bad they are.

You also seem to be saying that you go to games for reasons of stature rather than to watch the Hawkeyes win. If you don't go to watch the Hawkeyes win, then that's the only other reason to go to the games. You're so full of s***, you could pass for a toilet.

Stature? I'm not sure you are using the word you mean to use. I made it very clear, I go for my own enjoyment...how that could equate to stature is beyond me.

In fact, more likely the opposite is true: people want to be "winners", so they want to support winners, now that would be for stature.

Stature? I'm not sure you are using the word you mean to use. I made it very clear, I go for my own enjoyment...how that could equate to stature is beyond me.

In fact, more likely the opposite is true: people want to be "winners", so they want to support winners, now that would be for stature.
I don't go to games "expecting" to see Iowa win every one of them (not a season ticket holder either, since I've never lived closer than 5 hours to Iowa City, but been to many games over the years). What I do expect is for them to be very competitive, especially in Kinnick Stadium, regardless of opponent, and put up one hell of an effort, win or lose. That has clearly not been the case for quite some time.

And for those who go and keep going for the "good ol' U" or just for the "fun", I very much agree with "to each his own", but there is nothing fun about following a bad or even mediocre team. Losing isn't the end of the world, but it does suck a whole lot more than winning, especially when it happens quite a bit, and in many cases, unexpectedly. Losing a lot takes a hell of a lot of fun out of it for me, so I guess I'm just a "bad" fan. Kirk has most definitely made me re-think Iowa's Football situation and how much time, money and effort I want to put into watching that product live. It's not even "must see" Live TV for me anymore, and I never thought I'd see the day when that would happen. I guess the word is apathy.

What behavior would that be? Running around with coeds when he was 20-something assistant coach? Clearly that makes him one of the worst human beings to ever live.
Hey I'm not out to get the guy. He can be the next coach as far as I'm concerned. But like it or not there is an "Iowa Way" of doing things/behavior/conducting business. They have a culture and BB is thought to be at odds with it.

Like I said, you're full of it.

Lot of media including our local media getting a good laugh out of this pointless survey sent out this week to season ticket holders. To sum it up it ask to rank scale 1-10 the importance of Winning, Doing it the Right Way and to graduating players. Last paragraph in the link below sums it up perfectly.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/120801/does-iowa-really-have-to-choose-priorities

"Iowa should not have to sacrifice any of the bedrock principles that all Big Ten teams say they hold dear.
Conducting a survey about principles isn't the same as sacrificing principles. And I quote the author "Customer feedback is almost always a valuable tool in business."

Fans shouldn't be asked to prioritize them, either.
The survey is asking fans what they think not what Iowa should do.

Except in this case, where the answers should already be painfully obvious.
I spent 35 + years in various sales/marketing positions. NOTHING is obvious until you know the answer.

Look, I get it. The AD has effed up on a couple of times (Red Pom-Poms, Let's get mad again.) And I have some concerns about the design of the survey. But has any media outlet asked the AD about the survey and what the point was? It's sadly ironic that there have been no questions about the questions.

And I'm out. I won't be coming back to this thread. Fire away at me...

Utterly dejected is a little dramatic. Not happy and pissed? Absolutely. It's called being a fan. You should try it some time.

I feel sorry for you. I really do. Have a good friend who responded like you to losses. Poor guy couldn't get out of his own way. Hell, maybe you are him.

I'll do my best to be a better fan. I'll be at every home game, section 124, come on over and maybe you'll enjoy yourself a bit better.

I feel sorry for you. I really do. Have a good friend who responded like you to losses. Poor guy couldn't get out of his own way. Hell, maybe you are him.

I'll do my best to be a better fan. I'll be at every home game, section 124, come on over and maybe you'll enjoy yourself a bit better.

I appreciate that. Thank you.

I don't go to games "expecting" to see Iowa win every one of them (not a season ticket holder either, since I've never lived closer than 5 hours to Iowa City, but been to many games over the years). What I do expect is for them to be very competitive, especially in Kinnick Stadium, regardless of opponent, and put up one hell of an effort, win or lose. That has clearly not been the case for quite some time.

And for those who go and keep going for the "good ol' U" or just for the "fun", I very much agree with "to each his own", but there is nothing fun about following a bad or even mediocre team. Losing isn't the end of the world, but it does suck a whole lot more than winning, especially when it happens quite a bit, and in many cases, unexpectedly. Losing a lot takes a hell of a lot of fun out of it for me, so I guess I'm just a "bad" fan. Kirk has most definitely made me re-think Iowa's Football situation and how much time, money and effort I want to put into watching that product live. It's not even "must see" Live TV for me anymore, and I never thought I'd see the day when that would happen. I guess the word is apathy.
To me, a lot of this boils down to investment and expectations. I have ridden highs and lows w/the football team. When IA was winning 1 and 3 games a year in 1999 and 2000, respectively, I still had a good time going to games with friends and watching live football. At the time, I was a student paying $10, a walk and a case of beer/game. IA was paying KF a good amount, but nothing huge. Now, it would cost me significantly more to attend a game (travel, lodging, ticket costs, etc.), and IA is paying KF a ton of money.
I would be totally willing to get those 1999-2000 results if the investment and expectations were the same, but they simply are not. THAT, along with the game day experience and TV availability landscape changing, is the reason most fans are staying home.

To me, a lot of this boils down to investment and expectations. I have ridden highs and lows w/the football team. When IA was winning 1 and 3 games a year in 1999 and 2000, respectively, I still had a good time going to games with friends and watching live football. At the time, I was a student paying $10, a walk and a case of beer/game. IA was paying KF a good amount, but nothing huge. Now, it would cost me significantly more to attend a game (travel, lodging, ticket costs, etc.), and IA is paying KF a ton of money.
I would be totally willing to get those 1999-2000 results if the investment and expectations were the same, but they simply are not. THAT, along with the game day experience and TV availability landscape changing, is the reason most fans are staying home.

I sincerely doubt this to be true. Cut KF salary to $1 and everybody still wants success, everybody would want to fire a 2/3 win coach even for a dollar, in fact, they would cite the need to spend more money as a reason for losing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT