ADVERTISEMENT

Semi OT: Brandon Scherff

jerseyknight27

HR All-American
Jul 16, 2010
Hey guys a Rutgers fan here I come in peace! So me and a couple friends started a website for sports called OverTheGrill and we are doing draft previews so naturally we included your former OL Brandon Scherff! I wanna know what you guys think about it, and what I could add to make it better or what I should take away. I put the link below and any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-Follow us on Twitter: @OverTheGrill

Draft Prospect Profile

Had problems with speed rushers at times, so will probably NOT be a LT in the NFL. Might be able to hold up at RT. It's hard to imagine a much better run blocker. If he plays G, he will be a pro bowler by his 3rd or 4th season.

That is a nice write-up on Scherff and I think most would agree with you. I think it is what most other pundits have been suggesting as well. I guess the question is what do you and your site bring to the table in your analysis? there are lots of mock drafts out there.

welcome to the board btw

He's played through injuries and as a result had games that he looked less than great. During those games he was beat off the line and some national sports people questioned his worth. Don't think a team can go wrong picking him as long as they don't think he's the next great left tackle or franchise savior.

Originally posted by DrVenkman:

That is a nice write-up on Scherff and I think most would agree with you. I think it is what most other pundits have been suggesting as well. I guess the question is what do you and your site bring to the table in your analysis? there are lots of mock drafts out there.

welcome to the board btw
Hey guys I am the founder of the site and also the author of this scouting report. I appreciate the feedback. What our site tries to provide is a different perspective on things but also as accurate of a piece as possible. To write this scouting report, I watched about 2.5 hours of film on Scherff from two seasons as well as researching his combine numbers and other things. I believe that our goal at Over The Grill is to give accurate, well-researched analysis on as many sporting topics as we can. We want to grow and become a one stop shop for sports fans who are not looking for a recap of scores, but rather for unique takes on many different topics. As we grow and learn the game, we will focus on providing more well thought out articles and more unique takes. One thing we are going to expand into very shortly is unique interviews with current draft prospects that I believe will spice up the site so to say. Again, I appreciate the feedback and I would like to invite you to continue to read the site and watch as we grow, providing more feedback as you see fit

1. Maybe mention his Outland Trophy?

2. You said he had several serious leg injuries in college. I was there when his leg got taken out against Penn St. Broken leg and dislocated ankle and he was waving his arms up trying to pump the crowd as he was carted off the field. Other leg injury was surgery on his knee during this season and did not miss a game. It kind of sounds like you make him out as injury prone, which I do not think is the case.

3. Several other Big Boards have him going 6th.

4. Some mentioned him getting beat this year due to the knee injury; I disagree, everyone is going to be beat once in a while, only people remember the few times he got beat because he ended up winning the Outland Trophy.

Good write up, though. Maybe also put into context with the Iowa pipeline of linemen to the NFL, announcers during Ravens game said Marshal Yanda was the best overall lineman in the NFL this year. Alright, enough homerism from me.

Originally posted by mthawkeyes:
Had problems with speed rushers at times, so will probably NOT be a LT in the NFL. Might be able to hold up at RT. It's hard to imagine a much better run blocker. If he plays G, he will be a pro bowler by his 3rd or 4th season.
Nailed it!

Originally posted by LarryMullenJr.:
Nailed it!
Yeah, Brandon is projected as a Guard in the NFL. I think he will be another good one in a long line of great Iowa Offensive Linemen.

You seem to be confident in your assessment of his technique and abilities. Please list your qualifications. How many hours of film did you watch to make your assessment?
What were the 'problems' with the speed rushers? Did they beat him off the edge? Please cite examples.
If they 'beat' him to the inside, do you know if they were in 'man' or 'zone' protection? Makes a huge difference.
Is it your opinion that if he stays healthy, he has the ability to be a pro bowler, or are you a seer or have a crystal ball?
Are you just repeating what you heard a couple of announcers say?
You may be right, just interested in why you feel qualified to give an opinion and how much merit I should give it.

This post was edited on 3/8 8:14 PM by MattFoleyHawk

Originally posted by MattFoleyHawk:
You seem to be confident in your assessment of his technique and abilities. Please list your qualifications. How many hours of film did you watch to make your assessment?
What were the 'problems' with the speed rushers? Did they beat him off the edge? Please cite examples.
If they 'beat' him to the inside, do you know if they were in 'man' or 'zone' protection? Makes a huge difference.
Is it your opinion that if he stays healthy, he has the ability to be a pro bowler, or are you a seer or have a crystal ball?
You may be right, just interested in why you feel qualified to give an opinion and how much merit I should give it.

Now Matty, you sound as if you are trying to pick a fight here. What exactly drives you to do these things Matty? Why must you just up and lash out for no good reason at all? Do you not have a very fulfilling life Matty? Do you try to make up for that on here Matty? Please tell us Matty.

Originally posted by Aegon_Targaryen:

Now Matty, you sound as if you are trying to pick a fight here. What exactly drives you to do these things Matty? Why must you just up and lash out for no good reason at all? Do you not have a very fulfilling life Matty? Do you try to make up for that on here Matty? Please tell us Matty.
Lol, there's my sheepboy. Following the sheperd around again, I see. Baaa, Baaa.
What drives 'unqualified', anonymous, fans to make evaluations like they are some kind of talent scout? It's comical. They certainly wouldn't give their 'evaluations' to a college football coach or scout. They would be immediately exposed and embarassed. Most are just repeating what they heard or read, but don't cite their sources in order to give the perception that they are knowledgable, or attempt to impress the flock. Now get back in the heard, until I call you.....

Lol, there's my sheepboy. Following the sheperd around again, I see. Baaa, Baaa.
What drives 'unqualified', anonymous, fans to make evaluations like they are some kind of talent scout? It's comical. They certainly wouldn't give their 'evaluations' to a college football coach or scout. They would be immediately exposed and embarassed. Most are just repeating what they heard or read, but don't cite their sources in order to give the perception that they are knowledgable, or attempt to impress the flock. Now get back in the heard, until I call you.....
This is an internet message board, why would they have to 'cite their sources'? No one claimed they were qualified. They simply gave their opinion, which I'm pretty sure is legal and common in today's society. So because some Internet try hard bully demands sources, they're supposed to refute their statement because you do or don't agree with it? Also, multiple people agreed with that assessment, so I would say it's somewhat accurate, but because Kirk Ferentz didn't say it himself you won't believe it. But if you watched the Tennessee, Maryland, ISU games (and more) you'll realize that even a beast like Scherff has weaknesses. Quit trying so hard to create chaos. Now back to the asylum before you end up assaulting a female.

Originally posted by MoneyintheBanks:

This is an internet message board, why would they have to 'cite their sources'? No one claimed they were qualified. They simply gave their opinion, which I'm pretty sure is legal and common in today's society. So because some Internet try hard bully demands sources, they're supposed to refute their statement because you do or don't agree with it? Also, multiple people agreed with that assessment, so I would say it's somewhat accurate, but because Kirk Ferentz didn't say it himself you won't believe it. But if you watched the Tennessee, Maryland, ISU games (and more) you'll realize that even a beast like Scherff has weaknesses. Quit trying so hard to create chaos. Now back to the asylum before you end up assaulting a female.
How can you express an opinion without being qualified? Duh, I think I'll go on into a cardiology message board and give my opinion on pulmonary heart disease and my assesment of which doctors are performing best after watching a little surgery, lmao. The only things you can genuinely give an opinion about are things that are subjective. RE:"Blue is the prettiest color"....
Stating that 'multiple people agree' is a total ignorant, weak-minded, 'herd' mentality. A bunch of people 'agreed' that Hitler was Time's 'Man of the year' in 1938, lol. Maybe they should have done a little more research and cited some sources, don't ya think...lol. Too bad there weren't some people like me back then, might have saved a lot of lives........
And how absurd to ask if they are supposed to refute it. No, you don't express it in the first place unless you know what you are talking about. Go back into your 'trance' now little sheep. Follow the herd. Follow the 'message board' brain drain....I've got a female to assault before I get back to the asylum....
You continue to disappoint me. Awaken, son........

How can you express an opinion without being qualified? Duh, I think I'll go on into a cardiology message board and give my opinion on pulmonary heart disease and my assesment of which doctors are performing best after watching a little surgery, lmao. The only things you can genuinely give an opinion about are things that are subjective. RE:"Blue is the prettiest color"....
Stating that 'multiple people agree' is a total ignorant, weak-minded, 'herd' mentality. A bunch of people 'agreed' that Hitler was Time's 'Man of the year' in 1938, lol. Maybe they should have done a little more research and cited some sources, don't ya think...lol. Too bad there weren't some people like me back then, might have saved a lot of lives........
And how absurd to ask if they are supposed to refute it. No, you don't express it in the first place unless you know what you are talking about. Go back into your 'trance' now little sheep. Follow the herd. Follow the 'message board' brain drain....I've got a female to assault before I get back to the asylum....
Matt, how we able to see you? This madness of yours continues to pollute the board. You were supposed to be gone, last I heard? How can I see this insanity you continue to keep posting?

You're a special kind of crazy my friend. Such pain.

Matt, how we able to see you? This madness of yours continues to pollute the board. You were supposed to be gone, last I heard? How can I see this insanity you continue to keep posting?

I believe the scientific term for it is "bunghole".

Hey Mattyboy here are so examples for you. By the way how much film have you watched? Funny to jump on one persons opinion as you always do but yet never share one of your own. From espn insider here you go-

Quick set and can protect the edge in most matchups. Knocks top-heavy defenders' hands down and drives them into ground. Flashes ability to stay in front once locked on. Hand placement is inconsistent though and struggles to mirror when he doesn't get good initial fit. Below average length raises concerns about ability to hold up against NFL speed rushers. Biggest issue is sets high and gets eaten up by speed to power.

Looks like guys at espn whom I'm sure watch more film and experience evaluating draft picks than you agree with this poster. As for the move to RT and G ton of analyst have talked about this and when he was at the combine and compared him to Zach Martin the Cowboys rookie last year. He was complimenting him about being a potential pro bowler yet you still bitch about it. Also here is another link from NFL network. Again you complain about everyone else but for being such an expert on football but have seen little to nothing you've posted here on on football itself instead of random banter. Maybe instead of knocking everyone how about constructive criticism and try and make a valid point and not be a dbag all the time. Please give us the mattyfoley special break down of scherff since you know the most...

This post was edited on 3/9 9:34 AM by iahawkeyes17

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/brandon-scherff?id=2552353

This is an internet message board, why would they have to 'cite their sources'? No one claimed they were qualified. They simply gave their opinion, which I'm pretty sure is legal and common in today's society. So because some Internet try hard bully demands sources, they're supposed to refute their statement because you do or don't agree with it? Also, multiple people agreed with that assessment, so I would say it's somewhat accurate, but because Kirk Ferentz didn't say it himself you won't believe it. But if you watched the Tennessee, Maryland, ISU games (and more) you'll realize that even a beast like Scherff has weaknesses. Quit trying so hard to create chaos.Now back to the asylum before you end up assaulting a female.

I don't know how 'we' able to see me, LMAO. Illiterate? Multiple personalities? Or do you have a bunch of people sitting at your computer with you when you post? LOL

I can make words really big and bold too (see above). I understand you can't read, but when you have your literate friends read to you, have them read the post being responded to also, that way they can explain to you when someone is sarcastically responding to an attack someone took on them. I have no doubt that nothing I say means anything to your kind. I know all this is hard for some of you, so I try to be understanding...
Special kind of crazy? lol. If you and the other pathetically stupid sheep on this board are the 'norm', than I absolutely want to be a special kind of crazy! Pain,lol. I enjoy every minute of beating you cretins into submission. Now go admire your swastika tattoo in the mirror and take some 'selfies' before you sit down for the next exciting episode of the Kardashians, lol......

This is an internet message board, why would they have to 'cite their sources'? No one claimed they were qualified. They simply gave their opinion, which I'm pretty sure is legal and common in today's society. So because some Internet try hard bully demands sources, they're supposed to refute their statement because you do or don't agree with it? Also, multiple people agreed with that assessment, so I would say it's somewhat accurate, but because Kirk Ferentz didn't say it himself you won't believe it. But if you watched the Tennessee, Maryland, ISU games (and more) you'll realize that even a beast like Scherff has weaknesses. Quit trying so hard to create chaos.Now back to the asylum before you end up assaulting a female.

I don't know how 'we' able to see me, LMAO. Illiterate? Multiple personalities? Or do you have a bunch of people sitting at your computer with you when you post? LOL

I can make words really big and bold too (see above). I understand you can't read, but when you have your literate friends read to you, have them read the post being responded to also, that way they can explain to you when someone is sarcastically responding to an attack someone took on them. I have no doubt that nothing I say means anything to your kind. I know all this is hard for some of you, so I try to be understanding...
Special kind of crazy? lol. If you and the other pathetically stupid sheep on this board are the 'norm', than I absolutely want to be a special kind of crazy! Pain,lol. I enjoy every minute of beating you cretins into submission. Now go admire your swastika tattoo in the mirror and take some 'selfies' before you sit down for the next exciting episode of the Kardashians, lol......
But you still have trouble with "they're vs. their".

I hope you heal up Matt and make it back to scrubbing toilets so you don't have to post on here at 1:30-3:30 in the morning, then hop back on to make the 9:00 rounds. Makes you look, I don't know, kind of desperate.

wink.r191677.gif

I type really fast and don't edit or spell check, but thanks for pointing that out again. How many times are you going to tell me to clean the toilets? I bet if you repeat it 5-6 more times, it will get funnier:)
Good to hear from you again, lol

That's funny Matt, I type reasonably fast, yet it doesn't cause me to use the incorrect version of there, their, and they're. I think you just are not very intelligent or did not make it past fourth grade, guessing both. Your (
wink.r191677.gif
) use of lol and excessive punctuation in posts just hammers that fact home.

Originally posted by ThatsFootball:

That's funny Matt, I type reasonably fast, yet it doesn't cause me to use the incorrect version of there, their, and they're. I think you just are not very intelligent or did not make it past fourth grade, guessing both. Your (
wink.r191677.gif
You are close. I had to take it twice, but now I am in the 5th grade and doing perty good. LOL. How much am I allowed to use? I want to be smartt like yu!
One could spend an entire day pointing out erratum on a message board, but probably not a good use of time. Now get that last egg-mcmuffin out before you have to start serving lunch.......
P.S.- Glad you found me again! I appreciate you and you're buddies keeping the legend alive. Oops, did it again, LOL

I hope you heal up Matt and make it back to scrubbing toilets so you don't have to post on here at 1:30-3:30 in the morning, then hop back on to make the 9:00 rounds. Makes you look, I don't know, kind of desperate.

wink.r191677.gif
Oh, by the way,I never express 'they are' as the contraction "they're". I don't even see where I did?

wink.r191677.gif
You are close. I had to take it twice, but now I am in the 5th grade and doing perty good. LOL. How much am I allowed to use? I want to be smartt like yu!
One could spend an entire day pointing out erratum on a message board, but probably not a good use of time. Now get that last egg-mcmuffin out before you have to start serving lunch.......
P.S.- Glad you found me again! I appreciate you and you're buddies keeping the legend alive. Oops, did it again, LOL
True, but neither is posting on here at 3:30 AM but it doesn't stop you.

Special kind of crazy? lol. If you and the other pathetically stupid sheep on this board are the 'norm', than I absolutely want to be a special kind of crazy! Pain,lol. I enjoy every minute of beating you cretins into submission.
Now go admire your swastika tattoo in the mirror and take some 'selfies' before you sit down for the next exciting episode of the Kardashians, lol......
Is there not other people on this board that see your insane drivel day in and day out? You can't comprehend that I'm speaking of the others on here Matty? Matty?,...do you do too much meth or something? Are you a raging alcoholic? What is your boggle?

How are we sheep, if in fact we are expressing our own opinions, whilst you on the other hand continue to 'believe' you are some sort of hero or moderator on this forum? I don't think you put too much thought into what you post Matty.

Beating us cretins into submission? Pathetically stupid sheep? These are the words of a madman, or a really mad teenager. I'm not sure Matty, but you fail to impress. You are doing quite well at doing the opposite though.

wink.r191677.gif

wink.r191677.gif
Oh, by the way,I never express 'they are' as the contraction "they're". I don't even see where I did?
You incorrectly did back around January when I first called you on it. Soon after you went on your first little breakdown and vowed to stop posting. Since this site seems to be some of the only enjoyment you have in life you were understandably back posting in a few days. You have since moved on after your second breakdown/farewell to incorrectly using "your vs you're".

Maybe after the 5th or 6th time you do a farewell thread only to be back in a week we can start working on your (
wink.r191677.gif
) one of the most interesting posters we have had on the board since Da Coach, so keep up the good work Matt.

You incorrectly did back around January when I first called you on it. Soon after you went on your first little breakdown and vowed to stop posting. Since this site seems to be some of the only enjoyment you have in life you were understandably back posting in a few days. You have since moved on after your second breakdown/farewell to incorrectly using "your vs you're".

Maybe after the 5th or 6th time you do a farewell thread only to be back in a week we can start working on your (
wink.r191677.gif
) one of the most interesting posters we have had on the board since Da Coach, so keep up the good work Matt.
Da Coach was just an arsehole. This guy seeks to literally 'submit us cretins' and keep us 'sheeple' in check. He has much higher aims than Coachy ever did.

It's completely outside of reality, but I definitely find it as interesting as you do.

I would ask how you are qualified to label another poster as "sheepboy," but I'm guessing you have a much more intimate knowledge with regard to sheep than most posters.

wink.r191677.gif

wink.r191677.gif

wink.r191677.gif
You didn't 'call' me on it back in January. You're thinking of someone else. And you certainly didn't show how I 'still' have a problem with it. Desperation at it's finest. I purposely put 'you're instead of your' a couple posts ago to aggravate your and it went right over you're tiny, little head. And it was more than a week. Do your ever get anything right? Are my fries up yet,
P.S. - Thatsfootball should have an apostophe in it dumba**, lol

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT