ADVERTISEMENT

Should Lauren Hill get the Ashe Award for Courage over Jenner?

Drmac22

HR All-American
Nov 21, 2001
Swisher
Lots of talk on the net about Bruce/Caitlyn Jenner and how He/she should get the ESPY Ashe award for showing courage to come out and admit he felt he was a woman. Do you think Jenner should get the award over Lauren Hill a Teen who battled Cancer and raised over a million dollars for research to find a cure, and who recently passed away because of it. She to me represents what I would want my kids to be like, to face a demon like cancer and battle it even though she knew she was not going to over come it. I think there are others Like Jim Kelly or Sgt. Noah Galloway they would all be better awardees. Just my opinion and Im curious to see what the rest of you think.

Reactions: dgordo
Lots of talk on the net about Bruce/Caitlyn Jenner and how He/she should get the ESPY Ashe award for showing courage to come out and admit he felt he was a woman. Do you think Jenner should get the award over Lauren Hill a Teen who battled Cancer and raised over a million dollars for research to find a cure, and who recently passed away because of it. She to me represents what I would want my kids to be like, to face a demon like cancer and battle it even though she knew she was not going to over come it. I think there are others Like Jim Kelly or Sgt. Noah Galloway they would all be better awardees. Just my opinion and Im curious to see what the rest of you think.
Yes.

Reactions: LakeviewHawkeye
Any one of those finalist deserved it over Jenner
Yes, the only statement this award giveway is making, is that tabloid journalism is far too powerful in this country. The many know the entire family doings of the friggin Jenners and the Kardashians is a problem in my eyes.

It bothers me with jenner cause his whole life has been put on display with the reality show and now he is just deciding to come out and that makes him some hero. I know the mothership wants the ratings but its sad they stoop like that. I would fall out dead if kenye walked up there during the presentations and said I know your great and all but.... Lauren Hill should get that award! Ok Dreaming I know.

Reactions: Hawk in SEC Country
I'm certain there are hundreds of more deserving recipients in the sporting world than Bruce.

If he had any humility, he'd show up and hand it over to someone like Lauren's family and give a nice speech on real heroism....he's more than capable of it, he is (was?) a pretty good motivational speaker.

I'm certain there are hundreds of more deserving recipients in the sporting world than Bruce.

If he had any humility, he'd show up and hand it over to someone like Lauren's family and give a nice speech on real heroism....he's more than capable of it, he is (was?) a pretty good motivational speaker.
Hopefully he/she is in jail by then because of the deadly traffic accident he/she contributed to a few months back. Hell, I had a hangnail this morning and while I didn't have an interview with Diane Sawyer about it... I certainly think should be awarded with some sort of recognition for enduring the pain.

Let's also mention that Jenner was also recently involved in an auto accident that took the life of another person. And what is he doing? Trying to get the lawsuit filed against him dismissed so he can be absolved from any responsibility. God forbid the plastic surgery fund dried up because he had to pay damages for killing someone.

That's so courageous.

Let's also mention that Jenner was also recently involved in an auto accident that took the life of another person. And what is he doing? Trying to get the lawsuit filed against him dismissed so he can be absolved from any responsibility. God forbid the plastic surgery fund dried up because he had to pay damages for killing someone.

That's so courageous.

ESPN choosing Jenner of course is for ratings. Its the ESPYs and people rarely talk about the show- until now. No one ever discusses the awards or the categories. ESPN now has made their award show front page news. Can anyone really be surprised.
Hill should get the award. Hers is a great story and one that is tragic and inspiring. She also was a current athlete. It would be beyond fitting for ESPN to honor her.

It is sad but unfortunately not surprising.

In what world is it courageous to do something everyone applauded that benefits you personally? Jenner took a risk and thus is courageous. Hill risked nothing, she simply did something laudable.

In what world is it courageous to do something everyone applauded that benefits you personally? Jenner took a risk and thus is courageous. Hill risked nothing, she simply did something laudable.
Oh, you mean like the vet who lost his Damn limbs?

Oh, you mean like the vet who lost his Damn limbs?
Obviously not since you are just introducing that person. The debate was between. Jenner and Hill. As to the vet, I have no real opinion or knowlege of his case. Since you apparently do, why don't you make the case and explain why he should win.

Do you mean like doing your best to fight cancer which clearly is a benefit to you and almost everyone would applaud?

Bruce Jenner used his substantial wealth and media means to make this transition. It is to benefit himself. He wanted to benefit from this his whole life. I appaud him for it as well.

I saw this online somewhere and thought it summed things up pretty well:
CGnRRmiUQAAsAlZ.jpg

You're on the wrong side on this one. Hill did nothing that would benefit her. She knew she was dying and there was nothing the money she was raising could do to fix that. She could have curled up and waited to die and no one would have blamed her but her hope was the money she raised would help the next person. She didn't let cancer define her. That's the definition of courage in this or any other world.

Do you mean like doing your best to fight cancer which clearly is a benefit to you and almost everyone would applaud?

Bruce Jenner used his substantial wealth and media means to make this transition. It is to benefit himself. He wanted to benefit from this his whole life. I appaud him for it as well.
No, I don't find it particularly courageous to raise mony to fight a disease every one is against. That is a nice praiseworthy thing to do, but not courageous and not risky. What Jenner did involved risk, rejection and ridicule which to me puts it much more in the category of a courageous act and something much more worthy of the Authur Ashe mantle.

Obviously not since you are just introducing that person. The debate was between. Jenner and Hill. As to the vet, I have no real opinion or knowlege of his case. Since you apparently do, why don't you make the case and explain why he should win.
I didn't introduce him, he was already talked about in this thread.

No, I don't find it particularly courageous to raise mony to fight a disease every one is against. That is a nice praiseworthy thing to do, but not courageous and not risky. What Jenner did involved risk, rejection and ridicule which to me puts it much more in the category of a courageous act and something much more worthy of the Authur Ashe mantle.
Jenner didn't do Shit, but line his pose with more cash.

You're on the wrong side on this one. Hill did nothing that would benefit her. She knew she was dying and there was nothing the money she was raising could do to fix that. She could have curled up and waited to die and no one would have blamed her but her hope was the money she raised would help the next person. She didn't let cancer define her. That's the definition of courage in this or any other world.
Tarheel is correct. Courage does not necessarily require risk. In this case, courage meant facing certain death with dignity and bravery while doing something to help others when the easy thing to do would have been to feel sorry for herself.

What exactly did Bruce Jenner risk? Being ridiculed on Twitter? Maybe having one of the studio lights fall over and hit him during his Vanity Fair photo shoot? Forty years ago Jenner was one of the best athletes in the world. Now he's a 65 year old attention whore.

Ok, in case that's all Author Ashe did too. What Jenner did and what Ashe did are pretty analogous.

I am trying to see the connection between Ashe and Jenner. Arthur got HIV and got it thru a blood transfusion. He died of AIDS after he did his best to fight it. HIV is a disease that he raised tons of money for and everyone was against and trying to fight. I guess i see it as more analagous to what Hill went thru. She just wasnt as able to use her fame as Ashe was.

Reactions: icu81222
I am trying to see the connection between Ashe and Jenner. Arthur got HIV and got it thru a blood transfusion. He died of AIDS after he did his best to fight it. HIV is a disease that he raised tons of money for and everyone was against and trying to fight. I guess i see it as more analagous to what Hill went thru. She just wasnt as able to use her fame as Ashe was.
The reason what Ashe did was heroic is because he came out publicly with a disease with a stigma and helped to destigmatize it. That's nearlky exactly what Jenner is doing. If Ashe had come out with Canser in 1992 and raised money, no one would have named a courage award after him.

Jenner knew what he was doing, and he's filthy rich, and he's part of the Hollywood culture full of people like him. He made a choice, and he WILL be ridiculed for it by the public, but most in his circle will praise him and raise him above their heads.
The girl you speak of took time, whilst dying by the way, to help raise money that will HELP others, many others. In terms of awards, if what he did was just 'become' himself, then why should he be rewarded for it.
His ex-wife isn't too pleased, as she feels the entire marriage was a sham, and she inadvertently was holding him back, and he basically was lying to her from day one. Nothing courageous about that.
Jenner is one of those types, that if I needed to depend on someone to lead the way in a time of crisis, he wouldn't be a choice. The girl that died, would most definitely be a choice, because of her sense of the greater good.

The reason what Ashe did was heroic is because he came out publicly with a disease with a stigma and helped to destigmatize it. That's nearlky exactly what Jenner is doing. If Ashe had come out with Canser in 1992 and raised money, no one would have named a courage award after him.
Jenner is simply one of the more famous people to do what he did. So he's getting this award based on his fame is what you are saying? Once again, that makes my point that tabloid journalism is way too powerful in this country.

Is Hill the first person to raise money for cancer? Was Ashe for HIV? The differance between the two is Ashe risked stigma by coming out, just as Jenner did. Hill may deserve all sorts of accolades for meritorious conduct, but she wasn't courageous as I see it. And when did you adopt an anti-rich stand? Is that new since your unmasking?

Reactions: anon_snp6dc585nnj4
Not saying Jenner should have won the award but this thread (and the other on Jenner) is proof that Jenner is courageous for sharing his transition like he did. It can't be easy for him to go through this.

However, with the limited knowledge of the people listed in this thread, I would say Galloway would have been most deserving.

Reactions: naturalmwa
Is Hill the first person to raise money for cancer? Was Ashe for HIV? The differance between the two is Ashe risked stigma by coming out, just as Jenner did. Hill may deserve all sorts of accolades for meritorious conduct, but she wasn't courageous as I see it. And when did you adopt an anti-rich stand? Is that new since your unmasking?
Facing death and taking the time to not be selfish is courageous Natural. Wanting to appear more like a woman is a personal choice, whether imbedded in his DNA or not. If it was something he just had to do, then he could have done it long beforehand, before confusing the #$# out of his family for decades now.

Not saying Jenner should have won the award but this thread (and the other on Jenner) is proof that Jenner is courageous for sharing his transition like he did. It can't be easy for him to go through this.

However, with the limited knowledge of the people listed in this thread, I would say Galloway would have been most deserving.
Again, he's surrounded by the hollywood types that just love this kind of thing. He's a former olympian, he's old, and he's got millions. He can afford to be different. Not to mention he has the media in complete adoration of him and he's likely only going to see a small fraction of the negative, compared to the praise he'll get from them. It's a lot easier than being forced to die before you reach adulthood.

I'm not impressed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT