ADVERTISEMENT

Sincere Thanks from Us Michigan Fans

BANGBRO

All-Conference
Jan 13, 2015
With him signing with Michigan now that he's been granted his waiver all but a formality, I wanted to sincerely thank the Iowa program and ask you fans for your opinion on his play. It appears that our one glaring weakness from all practice reports has been quarterback. I've heard that he's little more than a game manager, but at this point that's all we need. I'm interested to see what Harbaugh can do with him

Originally posted by BANGBRO:
With him signing with Michigan now that he's been granted his waiver all but a formality, I wanted to sincerely thank the Iowa program and ask you fans for your opinion on his play. It appears that our one glaring weakness from all practice reports has been quarterback. I've heard that he's little more than a game manager, but at this point that's all we need. I'm interested to see what Harbaugh can do with him
Most Iowa fans wish Jake good luck next season. Good rep of college fb and Iowa. Smart QB who is accurate. With good talent around him and creative scheme he will help Blue win games. Better than average. Good luck Jake... hope Hawks meet Blue in Indy!

I know one thing. Our coaches should be scared *hitless if Jake does some amazing things in Ann Arbor. I can't wait for the drama to unfold this fall.
tongue.r191677.gif

He is an above average QB. Most Iowa fans didn't want him, but Jim Harbaugh does. That says it all.

Congrats and good luck. See you in the Big Ten title game.

Originally posted by ichawks:

I know one thing. Our coaches should be scared *hitless if Jake does some amazing things in Ann Arbor. I can't wait for the drama to unfold this fall.
tongue.r191677.gif
Serious question ICHawks. How does this play out where Iowa Staff is not blamed in some way? I just replied with this in another post....

If he doesn't win the job the "He sucked crowd will chirp." If he wins the job and thrives the "KF and staff can't coach QB crowd will chirp."

Only win for KF is if he gets the job and sucks.........otherwise some crowd will blame him and staff for something.

Arm strength not that impressive, but in all reality did a very solid job for us the past two seasons. I have suspicions that the offensive scheme held him back, as well as the lack of playmakers at WR.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him flourish with great WRs and more freedom to make mistakes and not play so tentatively.

His downfield passing is probably the shakiest part of his skill set, but he was a great teammate and respected by most.

go watch some Ball State and UNI umm...... highlights. Not sure you should thank us just yet.

if you have to play Jake, Michigan is in trouble... he will be in the student library more than the film room. just a warning.

I wonder what Harbaugh's policy is on players scheduling classes during practices?
This post was edited on 4/1 1:00 PM by Phenomenally Frantastic

Originally posted by ichawk24:
He is an above average QB. Most Iowa fans didn't want him, but Jim Harbaugh does. That says it all.

Above average? Please... No offense to the polite Michigan fans, but the Michigan's QB's on the roster have been well below average. Rudock is a slightly below average to average QB. But I'll give Jake the benefit of the doubt, average.

Even if Jake is average, the choice is simple for Harbaugh. Stick with your well below average QB's or get an average QB with good experience. It doesn't take Albert Einstein to figure that one out.

Good kid, slow release, should thrive with a better system. I predict he will do well at UM, good for him and good for you.

Jake's biggest problem is that he is not an instinctive football player. The game does not come naturally to him. When he drops back, it is apparent that he is mechanically over-thinking the situation instead of naturally reacting to it. Hence, his disproportionate number of check-downs, regardless of open receivers down the field. Frankly, Jake is too smart for his own good as a quarterback.

He is good decision maker and limits the chances he takes, especially down the field. His arm is average and he is accurate on short-mid range throws. He does not put a lot of arch on his deep balls and struggles with accuracy down the field at times. He is mobile enough to tuck it and pick up decent yardage. He is outstanding at times such as the 2nd half of the Wisconsin game he was in a zone and played great. If your D plays well and you have a good running game, you will win a lot of games next year with him at QB. He might be the perfect transitional QB to turn things around and let Harbaugh recruit a QB. I wish him and UM luck. It is better for the league to have Michigan good.

Originally posted by ichawk24:

If by this you mean most fans didn't want him starting, then you would be correct. You would also have to throw Kirk in that camp as well, unless you somehow missed our end of season depth chart press release thing.

Most fans I know would love to have him as a backup for CJ instead of an untested RSFR.

You surely left one of those important pieces out on accident.
rolleyes.r191677.gif

Re: Sincere Thanks from Us Michigan Fans

My guess is that you will see the same development in Rudock as Alex Smith saw. Similar styles of quarterbacks.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Rudock is a robot with no arm strength. If that's what UM needs, then you got it. As another poster mentioned, to see for yourself, check the tape of last year's Iowa games vs. Ball State, Iowa State, Maryland, and Minnesota for starters. And yes, you're most welcome for taking the young man off our hands and forcing our demented head coach to actually play a kid at QB who has some skills.

This post was edited on 4/1 1:16 PM by CoachoftheFuture1

Originally posted by Bleedi...k-Gold:
Jake's biggest problem is that he is not an instinctive football player.  The game does not come naturally to him.  When he drops back, it is apparent that he is mechanically over-thinking the situation instead of naturally reacting to it.  Hence, his disproportionate number of check-downs, regardless of open receivers down the field.  Frankly, Jake is too smart for his own good as a quarterback.
Maybe the best description of him I've seen.

Originally posted by FullTilt:

tongue.r191677.gif
Serious question ICHawks. How does this play out where Iowa Staff is not blamed in some way? I just replied with this in another post....

If he doesn't win the job the "He sucked crowd will chirp." If he wins the job and thrives the "KF and staff can't coach QB crowd will chirp."

Only win for KF is if he gets the job and sucks.........otherwise some crowd will blame him and staff for something.
Fair enough. I don't think there's many including myself that thought Jake sucked. I think the consensus is that he's better than average.
With that being said, I 100% believe he'll be a better player at Michigan than at Iowa.
KF and Co. are in a no-win position because of themselves, not the fans.
I hope Jake gets his chance and I hope he makes the best of it.
Let's leave it at that.

tongue.r191677.gif

KF record with recruiting/developing/promoting QB's is not very good. can you really blame the Iowa fan base for being critical? honestly.

Good game manager...won't turn the ball over much, but also won't make many "big" plays. Does not throw a very accurate deep ball. Tends to lock onto one receiver. If the primary receiver isn't open right away, is too quick to check down or even take off running.

That being said....should do well at Michigan because talent level will be higher. Will have better receivers and a running game to fall back on. Should improve as a QB under Harbaugh.

With his experience and not turning the ball over, Jake should do a more than adequate job for Michigan while their young QB's get a chance to mature.

i will ask you a question back..

Do Wolvy fans really think JR can be your starter in the fall. I know there are 2 other QBs coming in for the fall, including a transfer from Rice. Will UM really carry 6 or 7 QBs on scholarship? JR is a good QB but has serious limitations throwing the ball downfield. While that may have had something to do with the Iowa system, JR will be coming into a new system altogether. It would seem that it will take a few games at minimum for JR to get a feel for the new digs and his new teammates.

maybe Harbaugh feels everyone will be learning a new system so why not let Jake step in even if he only gets to work with him for one year.

Bottom line - u guys must really suck at QB to be going thru this particular set of hoops to get JR after spring ball has already happened and a ton of other QB options.

Originally posted by Phenomenally Frantastic:

tongue.r191677.gif

KF record with recruiting/developing/promoting QB's is not very good. can you really blame the Iowa fan base for being critical? honestly.
Can you blame the Iowa fan base for being critical regardless of the outcome or before anything has even happened? Yes.

Just remember, you may be his next University, but we'll always be his first University......
tired.r191677.gif

Classy post by the way. Good luck to you guys, hopefully you can knock OSU down a peg or two.

go watch some Ball State and UNI umm...... highlights. Not sure you should thank us just yet.

if you have to play Jake, Michigan is in trouble... he will be in the student library more than the film room. just a warning.

I wonder what Harbaugh's policy is on players scheduling classes during practices?

Althought I'm in the camp that CJ was/is our better option here. I am in fact worried about how the coaching can help him mold into an elite QB.

GDGD came in and ruined Vandenberg who was pretty good his first season as a starter. His playbook and how the routes materialize within that playbook call for more horizontal than vertical passing by a large margin.

\When Jake was running the offense(during the Wiscy game, and other games where went more aggressive), which had clearly been made to go downfield on a much more consistent basis, he did very well.

This move will tell us a lot of Jake and the offensive staff as well. Or at the very least verifiy that GD's system sucks unless you are loaded with 4-5 star talent.
This post was edited on 4/1 2:27 PM by Aegon_Targaryen

Originally posted by icwesthawk:
Good kid, slow release, should thrive with a better system. I predict he will do well at UM, good for him and good for you.
He'll recieve far supierior QB coaching and offensive game planning under Harbaugh.

Originally posted by Aegon_Targaryen:

Just remember, you may be his next University, but we'll always be his first University......
tired.r191677.gif

Classy post by the way. Good luck to you guys, hopefully you can knock OSU down a peg or two.
Agreed... JR is the key to defeating the defending national champions...

He seems to be very smart I could see him thriving. One thing to keep an eye on is him playing well after getting popped. There were a couple times he got smacked and seemed to get nervous.

This post was edited on 4/1 2:39 PM by HAWK-N-402 (4)

Originally posted by icparkerhawk:

Jake's biggest problem is that he is not an instinctive football player. The game does not come naturally to him. When he drops back, it is apparent that he is mechanically over-thinking the situation instead of naturally reacting to it. Hence, his disproportionate number of check-downs, regardless of open receivers down the field. Frankly, Jake is too smart for his own good as a quarterback.

Thank you. People get hung up on "measurable" because that's what video games and ESPN have taught them to get hung up on. But these kids aren't robots. They have personalities and cognitive abilities that have just as much impact on the game as their physical attributes. Ruddock has roughly the same physical abilities as Stanzi and Tate to play the position. But Stanzi and Tate had a much greater natural "feel" for the game and that was evident in how they played.

I expect Jake to do very well. He will have better talent surrounding him and that can make a huge difference. He is smart as heck and Harbaugh will know what to do with him. For Michigan, ideal situation ... You get a veteran Big 10 quarterback ... who is accurate ... who manages the game ... who knows the conference ... and will have good receivers around him ...

At Iowa ... I don't know WHAT TYPE of offense we were trying to run. Are we a running team? Are we a passing team? Jake may have been conservative back there but tkae into consideration his coaches (Davis and Captain Kirk) ... and factor in we have very average receivers ...

Give Jake a solid line ... a good running game ... speedy receivers ... and a coach who knows how to actually COACH quarterbacks and Jake could have an outstanding season ...

Re: Sincere Thanks from Us Michigan Fans

It makes for an interesting storyline for the season and I will watch him play his games at UM. The question is if JR is the checkdown game manager robot that some believe or was that the way he believed KF and GDGD wanted him to operate in the system.

If he is a game manager I still think he can do well filling the QB hole at UM for one year. He isn't Russell Wilson but he could serve as a bridge while the future QB is recruited or develops.

On some Iowa teams (such as the year Nathan Chandler was QB) he would have been much more fortuitous with more talent around him and would have been fine as the starting QB. But for Iowa right now, with as weak of a roster as I can recall in many years, they need a QB who will elevate the team. Rudock is not that guy. He's a game manager which is why Ferentz liked him. Beathard is the guy who can elevate the players around him.

Incredible guy who is extremely focused on his education as well. Which I heard at times was an inconvenience to the rest of the team with the practice schedule being changed to accommodate him. So just remember, academics for Rudock are priority #1 as he has big aspirations for after college.

His stats are similar to Tom Brady in college, however the strength of opponents was pretty weak the last two years for Rudock.

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see him do well, however I do wished he had stayed on as the backup. I should also say that I was firmly in the "Rudock camp" until the after the Purdue game. If Beathard hadn't started that game and finished the Pittsburgh game, those are both losses.

This post was edited on 4/1 3:53 PM by HerkyHopeful

Originally posted by icparkerhawk:
Jake's biggest problem is that he is not an instinctive football player. The game does not come naturally to him. When he drops back, it is apparent that he is mechanically over-thinking the situation instead of naturally reacting to it. Hence, his disproportionate number of check-downs, regardless of open receivers down the field. Frankly, Jake is too smart for his own good as a quarterback.
Agreed, very well said IMO. I often thought he was too mechanical and appeared to be over thinking things v. "playing".

Perhaps it was coaching related, I can't say that it wasn't...but JR was well known by our opponents as someone that would quickly check down to the safe, as in "net of 1 yard" route if there was any pressure on him. He did not throw down field often, or particularly well IMO. That again could be coaching related too, but it will certainly be interesting to see how he does if he plays significant minutes for Michigan.

He is a high quality young man though, regardless of his football skills. I wish him well, but I feel like Iowa has a far better chance with CJB slinging the pigskin.

LOL. You mean the Ball State game where he engineered two TD drives in the final five minutes and came up some huge throws and couple of big runs on 3rd down. Or the UNI game where he was 31-41 with 250 yards and two TDs. I hate to break this to you, but QB wasn't really the issue last year. I realize you're probably not smart enough to figure that out, so I thought I would put it in black and white.

And the idea that a high-achieving college student should be in the student library more than the film room (which BTW isn't true)...oh the horror. I know it wasn't like that in community college for you, was it?

Looking at current Michigan QB roster, he automatically is their best option. He will start from day one.

So save your clever riposte. I'm actually glad CJ is going to be our starter for the next two years. I just didn't think I needed to bash Jake to come to that conclusion.

Originally posted by DrVenkman:
i will ask you a question back..

Do Wolvy fans really think JR can be your starter in the fall. I know there are 2 other QBs coming in for the fall, including a transfer from Rice. Will UM really carry 6 or 7 QBs on scholarship? JR is a good QB but has serious limitations throwing the ball downfield. While that may have had something to do with the Iowa system, JR will be coming into a new system altogether. It would seem that it will take a few games at minimum for JR to get a feel for the new digs and his new teammates.

maybe Harbaugh feels everyone will be learning a new system so why not let Jake step in even if he only gets to work with him for one year.

Bottom line - u guys must really suck at QB to be going thru this particular set of hoops to get JR after spring ball has already happened and a ton of other QB options.
Yes, Michigan fans really believe JR will most likely be our starter in the fall if he comes. Reports out of Spring practice have not been overly positive concerning our existing QBs. The other two QBs coming in the fall are David O'Korn (transfer from Houston) and Zac Gentry. O'Korn must sit out a year and Gentry will be a true freshman. There has been speculation that both Morris and Speight MAY think about transferring if JR starts this year and it looks like either O'Korn or Gentry have the inside track for the year after. I stress MAY, as this is all just fan speculation.

Yes, we really suck at QB right now. Our other options are either not ready (Malzone & Gentry both Freshman), have to sit out a year (O'Korn), or are just not developing as hoped (Morris & Speight).

The prevailing thought is that JR will get us through next season and bridge the transition to the new starter (O'Korn or Gentry). Morris & Speight look to be on the outside looking in right now.

Also, go Hawks! Although I did my undergrad at UM and is my first love, I am currently working on my MBA through the University of Iowa, so I also root for the Hawkeyes (when they aren't playing Michigan).

You are getting a one year, mediocre QB who cares more about med school than football for a mediocre team. Harbaugh must figure he has no QB's on the current roster that he can develop. IMO, this was a dumb move since the fan base usually gives the new coach a "free year."

Rudock is a good, but not great, quarterback. He is, depending on how you want to look at it, a bridge or an insurance policy for Harbaugh. He is an insurance policy in case Morris and the young QBs on Michigan's roster are not ready to play. Some of those younger QBs may have higher potential (in my opinion Morris does not), but Rudock gives them someone with proven experience.

He is a bridge to get past this year to O'Korn or whichever QB ends up being Harbaugh's pick for the future. The fact that Harbaugh wants him as a potential 1 year starter is an indictment of Michigan's recruiting at QB.

If he starts at Michigan, he will be the same quarterback he was here. If his line protects him well, he will generally make good decisions and accurate throws. I do not buy the notion that Harbaugh will transform him into Alex Smith. He simply is not as athletic as Smith (I think people forget how dynamic Smith was in college, in the spread offense that he was running). He will show flashes of brilliance--Rudock was phenomenal in the second half against Wisconsin. If he is not protected well, he can get rattled for significant stretches of games--the second half of ISU and Nebraska.

"You are getting a one year, mediocre QB who cares more about med school than football for a mediocre team. Harbaugh must figure he has no QB's on the current roster that he can develop. IMO, this was a dumb move since the fan base usually gives the new coach a "free year."

You are right about a couple of things. Harbaugh only needs a one year QB. He has an All-American type that transferred from Houston and won't be eligible till next year waiting in the wings. And he doesn't have any current QB on the roster that can get the job done.
But as far as a mediocre QB... if you look at the numbers Rudock is locked in with the statistics of another Michigan QB that did pretty well.
Rudock; Com. 213 Yds. 2436, TD's 16, Int. 5, att. 345, % 61.7
Brady Com. 214 Yds. 2636 TD's 15, Int.12, att 350 % 61.1 (Jr. year)

Also if you look at youtube clips of Brady he looks exactly like Rudock, footwork, throwing position, lack of lateral movement. decision on throws.

I think Harbaugh knows exactly what he is getting and is pretty pleased about it.

Most wish him well.

It'll be interesting to see how well he performs without Greg Davis calling the plays. I'm curious to find out if it was him or the scheme that was calling for 1 yard passes on 3rd and long. He got the nickname Checkdown Jake due to him rarely throwing it downfield early on or when we had lead. When we were aging from behind he seemed to move the ball relatively well. We shall see.

ADVERTISEMENT