ADVERTISEMENT

So... any guesses to good news on the way

On another note, I'm going to side with PBS here and say - as a rival fan, too - relax, Iowa recruiting is fine whether they miss on Lee OR Hall OR Suriano OR Yates. And so is PSU's.

There has been a lot of discussion on this board about "high end" recruiting, etc - but I think it has gone waaaaaaaay overboard. Mark Hall is great, but people on here have already crowned him 4x, bonusing throughout. I'm not sure that he is even the best HS kid at his weight (2015 kids included) let alone some kind of Ruth/Taylor point machine. Nobody is. Likewise, with the rest - Spencer Lee was the best wrestler in the country no matter what age at his weight - until about a month or so ago.

Marinelli is already in the fold. Two studs already committed for 2017. There are loads of talented kids left for 2016 that aren't named Mark Hall - Suriano, Happel, Yates, White, Pletcher, Red, Breske, Saavedra, etc. Loads left in 2017 also. All these guys fill the bill for what you need to compete for NCs. Odds are that at least one or two of them will end up with better college careers than Hall and Lee also.
I was with you until "I'm not sure that he is even the best HS kid at his weight."
He is the best HS kid at his weight even if you you include the 2015 kids. I'm sure of it.

I was with you until "I'm not sure that he is even the best HS kid at his weight."
He is the best HS kid at his weight even if you you include the 2015 kids. I'm sure of it.

Are you sure he is better than Valencia? I'm not, but you might be in a better position to call that than me.

Are you sure he is better than Valencia? I'm not, but you might be in a better position to call that than me.
I'm positive that he's better at this time. Valencia's athleticism can be overwhelming but he can be slowed down by those that game plan for it. He's also reckless at times and puts himself in bad positions. Throw in folkstyle mat wrestling and Hall is just better right now.

Pretty sure Hall teched Valencia at Flo's "Who's Number One" event last year.

Well, he didn't tech him - he did major him. I've watched that match - which was over 9 months ago. Also watched a match before that that Valencia won. Hall certainly had a lot to prove (for himself I would think) and a lot of motivation for that match.

Since then I've watched a lot of wrestling that they have both been doing - I've watched Hall beat everybody in front of him, none of which have accomplished anything beyond HS yet, Valencia pile up some more impressive wins, but also get beaten a few times, watched a couple minute go between them at the OTC that was on FLO - not that this means much. Bottom line, I find it hard that anyone who really follows wrestling closely can say with CERTAINTY which way a match will go between them. I've seen way too much wrestling to put too much stock in any one match.

I'm positive that he's better at this time. Valencia's athleticism can be overwhelming but he can be slowed down by those that game plan for it. He's also reckless at times and puts himself in bad positions. Throw in folkstyle mat wrestling and Hall is just better right now.

I've got no problem with this opinion. I will point out though that I said "I'm not sure" - didn't try to put it out there that Valencia is better, just pointing out that it is subject to debate. You are also pointing out that Hall is better right now - who's to say with Valencia's athleticism and some tightening up under Zeke that he might not turn out to be the better guy in two years? Again, not saying this is going to happen - just pointing this out for everyone on here who has already conceded the 2017-2020 174lb NCAA Championships to Mark Hall - by bonus.

Well, he didn't tech him - he did major him. I've watched that match - which was over 9 months ago. Also watched a match before that that Valencia won. Since then I've watched a lot of wrestling that they have both been doing - I've watched Hall beat everybody in front of him, none of which have accomplished anything beyond HS yet, Valencia pile up some more impressive wins, but also get beaten a few times, watched a couple minute go between them at the OTC that was on FLO - not that this means much. Bottom line, I find it hard that anyone who really follows wrestling closely can say with CERTAINTY which way a match will go between them. I've seen way too much wrestling to put too much stock in any one match.
My thoughts are not just based on 1 match and they are not just based on how I think they match up with each other but the rest of the field.

You are also pointing out that Hall is better right now - who's to say with Valencia's athleticism and some tightening up under Zeke that he might not turn out to be the better guy in two years?
I wouldn't be totally shocked if that happened. I've always believed that the most explosive athletes had the highest ceilings. Most of them never reach it though because they relied too much on athleticism and not the attention to detail on technique that lesser athletes that excel have to. Valencia reminds me of IMar before college and we see what he became with refined technique added to his athleticism. All that being said I don't think Hall is a lesser athlete than Valencia but he's a better tactician and knows more technique. So although we don't see Hall blast doubling/lat dropping his way through competition he could if he had or wanted to. Hall already has more tools in his box and is a student of the sport so even though I wouldn't be shocked if Valencia passes him, I would't bet on it.

Again, not saying this is going to happen - just pointing this out for everyone on here who has already conceded the 2017-2020 174lb NCAA Championships to Mark Hall - by bonus.

Glad we have you on here Diceman...to tell us the error of our ways. Expectations are a funny thing...I remember the same thing when it came to Chance over on BWI. That is, until he changed his commit to OSU.

Mark Hall is a joy to watch and one of the few guys that should live up to the hype, no matter where he goes. Anthony Valencia is a stud, no doubt. So is Zahid. Those boys are going to tear it up. However, I do think Hall is one of the few that will live up to the hype. He has it all, in every position...folkstyle and FS, and is probably one of the more focused kids I've seen in a long time.

Glad we have you on here Diceman...to tell us the error of our ways. Expectations are a funny thing...I remember the same thing when it came to Chance over on BWI. That is, until he changed his commit to OSU.

Mark Hall is a joy to watch and one of the few guys that should live up to the hype, no matter where he goes. Anthony Valencia is a stud, no doubt. So is Zahid. Those boys are going to tear it up. However, I do think Hall is one of the few that will live up to the hype. He has it all, in every position...folkstyle and FS, and is probably one of the more focused kids I've seen in a long time.

You are absolutely correct with Chance. Although I think you are wrong about things changing when he committed, most all people in PA still love Chance no matter what singlet he's wearing. I still talk to people all the time that are absolutely amazed that he did not go undefeated and win the NC last year. They think something must be the matter with him.

I think Hall is going to be great also. Just pointing out that it seems like every year there is another "once in a decade" talent. Every year. Iowa and PSU will survive fine if he takes his talents elsewhere. And will if Spencer Lee does also.

image.gif

You are absolutely correct with Chance. Although I think you are wrong about things changing when he committed, most all people in PA still love Chance no matter what singlet he's wearing. I still talk to people all the time that are absolutely amazed that he did not go undefeated and win the NC last year. They think something must be the matter with him.

I think Hall is going to be great also. Just pointing out that it seems like every year there is another "once in a decade" talent. Every year. Iowa and PSU will survive fine if he takes his talents elsewhere. And will if Spencer Lee does also.

Just saying what I read on BWI, which was not a consensus BTW. But since boards are declared dumpster fires based on a few, what the hell. As for Hall, folks on here have compared him to Metcalf...who was our last "once in a decade" recruit. There is a good chance Hall will not come to Iowa. You're right, we will move on. Still won't change my opinion about his talent or potential.

Just saying what I read on BWI, which was not a consensus BTW. But since boards are declared dumpster fires based on a few, what the hell. As for Hall, folks on here have compared him to Metcalf...who was our last "once in a decade" recruit. There is a good chance Hall will not come to Iowa. You're right, we will move on. Still won't change my opinion about his talent or potential.

Yes, I figured that was the case in terms of what you were referring to (BWI) - a good jab in light of what has been transpiring lately with HR, lol. Just thought I would point out the general consensus regarding Chance in PA, because most people don't realize that if they would just frequent the message boards. Chance is right up there with Cary Kolat here in PA - doesn't matter what color his college singlet is. Spencer is on his way also. We do love our HS wrestling here.

Also, to my point in terms of "once a decade" - last year's #1 recruit was Kyle Snyder. 5 years ago it was Logan Stieber, etc, etc, etc. Not to take anything away from Hall - but he's not once in a decade, YET.

Last edited:
Reactions: Azchief32
Well I'd argue that the "Once in a decade" title all comes down to weight class and who gets him. For Iowa, Hall or Lee would be that guy. DT was your game changer, Metcalf was ours, Streibler was tOSU's. Cox at Mizzou.

Now if its P4P, Streibler is the one who lived up to the hype in this decade, IMO.

Half price ice cream at all home wrestling events during the 2015-16 season?

I'll even walk up the stairs to get it for him. (This is in no way associated with Wrestling for Life - you ought to see the rules)

Well I'd argue that the "Once in a decade" title all comes down to weight class and who gets him. For Iowa, Hall or Lee would be that guy. DT was your game changer, Metcalf was ours, Streibler was tOSU's. Cox at Mizzou.

Now if its P4P, Streibler is the one who lived up to the hype in this decade, IMO.
Not trying to argue that Streibler isn't or wasn't great. He is. However, along with his greatness, he definitely had some luck along the way. I will go to my grave believing Jordan Oliver beat him in the NCAA Finals, and I assure you when I think a Oklahoma State wrestler got screwed, something is most definitely out of whack in the Universe! :D

Metcalf, Mcllravy & McDonough could have all used a little help in the "luck" department. Hmmmm, 3 M's in that group, I have a better feeling about Marinelli all of sudden! ;)

I've got no problem with this opinion. I will point out though that I said "I'm not sure" - didn't try to put it out there that Valencia is better, just pointing out that it is subject to debate. You are also pointing out that Hall is better right now - who's to say with Valencia's athleticism and some tightening up under Zeke that he might not turn out to be the better guy in two years? Again, not saying this is going to happen - just pointing this out for everyone on here who has already conceded the 2017-2020 174lb NCAA Championships to Mark Hall - by bonus.

dicemen99,
Your assuming that Mr. Valencia is going to let Zeke do his job. How Ruben response to Zeke's coaching is going to play a major role on how his boys perform in college. Ruben has coached his boys their whole life and it's going to be extremely difficult for him to turn them over to any coach.

Lee and Happel will be Hawkeye. I don't think Hall is leaving gopherland but if he does I too fear Nebraska.

I'm not living on the edge for suriano. Like the kid but I'll be honest. Im very happy with Lee and Mejia and renteria and rathbun could push them. I don't know anything on rathbun but feels like he will be in the room one way or another.

IMO given what I've heard I'd like our next commit to be Moore to add depth to Wilcke and Holloway. Besides Bowman.

I'd be thrilled with suri. Just more I worry about the staff with upperweight guys because they can clean house with lightweights.

Also wouldn't mind Gremmel. A bit overlooked but a very athletic and lighterweigt heavy would be good for the room and who knows from there

last i heard Happel wont decide till after hes taken all his official visits so still got some time on him.

He's obviously getting a full ride wherever he goes(Hall), but I just think if he was staying in Minnesota, he'd have announced already. I'm ruling out the Goofs and think it will be tOsu/Nebby. But what the hell do I know?

He's obviously getting a full ride wherever he goes(Hall), but I just think if he was staying in Minnesota, he'd have announced already. I'm ruling out the Goofs and think it will be tOsu/Nebby. But what the hell do I know?

He's playing it smart. Making it fun for the fans. That's why I don't think Minne is out of it. Plus he's close to a lot of guys going there. As for Nebby, I don't know. Jordan Burroughs is 28 and his goal is to cement himself as the GOAT...this means staying in it until 2020. If you're Mark Hall, that's your competition for 2020. One has to wonder if tO$U has the money with all they have gotten in the past few years?

Iowa would make sense for him...not just on a homer level. We have some decent freestylers in Meyer and Brooks. Plus the freestyle Coach of the Year. Having Hall would make the HWC more well rounded. Tough guys at the lower, mids, and uppers. I know some of you don't give a rip about freestyle but its important to him. Plus we have the $$$ (right now).

I love how you think, but I don't think "decent" will be enough draw.

Who else in our category has folks that can hang with him and push him? Penn State? Certainly. But then you'll have two elephants in the room at the same weight plus need...PSU needs studs at lower weights. Same with Ringer at OSU. tO$U? They certainly have the talent folkstyle wise with the Jordans in the room but they are not freestylers. Brooks is a former world team member. Meyer was up there in freestyle (usually losing to Brooks).

IAWRESTLE.... we hearing anything this week? Happel, Suriano, Lee, Moore, Rathburn, Yates........

I'm not forgetting Hall; that's not til October.

Listened to FRL this morning. Sounds like there is a big name guy transferring to VT at 141. Must be Brody Grothus? o_O

Reactions: mcsorley
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT