ADVERTISEMENT

So... any guesses to good news on the way

Great addition for Dresser. Would've welcomed him with open arms at Iowa and let Brody drink protein shakes.

Reactions: minnhawkeye
Grothus and Sorensen will be in the middle of our lineup. Whether that is 141 and 149 or 149 and 157 remains to be seen. Brody will be on the smaller end either way.

I hadn't thought much about Grothus at 149 and Sorensen at 157. Not my favorite scenario, but not my worst.

You hadn't thought about it because it's a horrible idea.

So Sloe, you know how easy or hard of a cut it was for Brandon last year? What is he walking around at right now? Has he grown physically since last year? How can you say it is a horrible idea if you don't know these answers?
Brody would have been a great 149 last year. Probably not as consistent as Brandon, but great nonetheless.

So Sloe, you know how easy or hard of a cut it was for Brandon last year? What is he walking around at right now? Has he grown physically since last year? How can you say it is a horrible idea if you don't know these answers?
Brody would have been a great 149 last year. Probably not as consistent as Brandon, but great nonetheless.

I think the point is Brandon is a top three guy at 149, but probably not at 157. Why would you want to move a proven commodity for someone you just said is less consistent?

Your definition of great and my definition of great are apparently very different.

I think the point is Brandon is a top three guy at 149, but probably not at 157. Why would you want to move a proven commodity for someone you just said is less consistent?

I never said I wanted to move anyone. This will be up to Brandon and Brody.

What is up for us to question is do we want Carton at 141 or Cooper at 157? I have no problem with Grothus 141 Sorensen 149 Cooper 157.

I don't think we're giving Sorenson enough credit. If the dude wants to move up to 157 and beef up EVEN MORE than I think he can do just as well. Iowa mentality. Now with that said I think he wrestles off with Brody at 49.

I don't think we're giving Sorenson enough credit. If the dude wants to move up to 157 and beef up EVEN MORE than I think he can do just as well. Iowa mentality. Now with that said I think he wrestles off with Brody at 49.

That's fine but they need to be figuring it out NOW. Not November. Now. Being prepared will help ensure maximum effectiveness.

At the start of the season it will be Carton at 41, Cooper at 57, and Grothus battling Sorensen at 49. At the end of the season it will be Sorensen at 49, Cooper at 57, and Grothus battling his body to get to 41 and going 2-2 at NCAAs. Hope I'm wrong.

At the start of the season it will be Carton at 41, Cooper at 57, and Grothus battling Sorensen at 49. At the end of the season it will be Sorensen at 49, Cooper at 57, and Grothus battling his body to get to 41 and going 2-2 at NCAAs. Hope I'm wrong.

I would really like to argue with you on this...but sadly, I can't.

That's fine but they need to be figuring it out NOW. Not November. Now. Being prepared will help ensure maximum effectiveness.
This should have been decided in April and that's on TB. The word I got 1 hour ago is Brody's doing great and he's made no decision yet on what weight he will go at. This is frustrating for a fan.

Reactions: andegre
Brody deserves the right to try and win the job at the one weight where he can be effective. Stop pretending we all know better than Tom Brands where these boys should be.

Yes, Brandon called me and said holding 149 is a walk in the park. Said he weighs 151.5 right now, but just ate a double butter burger at Culvers.

I can say it's a horrible idea because I have eyes and a brain. Other than that I got nothing.

I've got zero issues with Brody Grothus. He just isn't better than Sorensen, and Sorensen can win the whole damn thing at 149, and he fits the weight like a glove. I said it all last year and I'll say it again.............. I don't think Brandon Sorensen realizes how good he is. Tough as nails, great in every position when he wants to be (Tom recently called him and Evans both out on their lack of offense last year, with what he believed to be the ability to score a LOT more than they did). Just let the fur fly and watch the wins pile up.

Reactions: Azchief32
Brody deserves the right to try and win the job at the one weight where he can be effective. Stop pretending we all know better than Tom Brands where these boys should be.
Maybe we should stop pretending we're National Title Contenders with this yearly "thing" with some of our better wrestlers occupying the same weight class as well? When we clearly have holes to fill at other weights. Might be a good idea to spread them out a bit, and do it early enough so they can fit the weight when the time comes. Perhaps we can land a few more on a podium at the end of the year.

Reactions: 86_90
Looks like we're going to have to wait until after Fargo for some verbals. Listened to FloRadio this morning and they pretty much said the same thing. Hopefully we can snag Suriano and Happel right afterwards.

So there is only one weight Brody can be effective? I strongly disagree.

I'm with Spooner on this one. Have a plan in place now. The least optimal scenario is having two studs show up at 149 in November and spend 3 months fighting over the same weight class. Have one guy go up or down, but decide it sooner rather than later.

And here we go down this particular rabbit hole again. We can rehash this issue again, but it won't make any difference one way or the other. We all want the best team out there, but ultimately Brody, Tom, and Terry (Oxford Comma FTW!) will make this decision. I tend to think that Brody won't end up making the cut or won't be particularly effective down there due to the cut, but who knows? We'll just have to wait and see.

Last edited:
I'm really interested to see if Cooper can make his conditioning up to speed and be a "scorer" at 157. Somebody is and/or needs to break out next year and I'm hoping its Grothus at 41 (which is amazing bc he hasn't been that weight since jr year in high school) or Cooper at 57. Paddock will be an interesting one as well. Damn score a couple points at Nationals at 65 and we're doing better than last year. I just can't wait to get this season started. Also sounds like Eustice and Hawks_wrestling in Twitter has some cool things planned for the fans before the season starts.

skeleton-still-waiting-2.jpg

And here we go down this particular rabbit hole again. We can rehash this issue again, but it won't make any difference one way or the other. We all want the best team out there, but ultimately Brody, Tom, and Terry (Oxford Comma FTW!) will make this decision. I tend to think that Brody won't end up making the cut or won't be particularly effective down there due to the cut, but who knows? We'll just have to wait and see.

Herein lies the problem. T&T have not been willing to make the decision and have left it up to the wrestlers. The plan and decision needs to come from the coaches with input from the wrestlers.

Reactions: 86_90 and sloehawk
I agree but we're also assuming TnT haven't done that. It's possible Brody said I'm going 149 and no where else. Right, wrong or indifferent that might be the truth.

I agree but we're also assuming TnT haven't done that. It's possible Brody said I'm going 149 and no where else. Right, wrong or indifferent that might be the truth.

I agree with AFhawk. This staff can flat out coach but it lacks managing. It's like a Jr high football tryout and everyone wants to play QB

But seriously, I've said this a million times but WTF was the point of bringing in Cooper last year?

Either they underestimated how good Sorny would be or they thought Sorny couldn't make 149. Because you had Brody Already 149. Even if Cooper cost zero he is a true 149 at a weight that wasn't needed and he was a legal risk. As for Cooper. Why transfer to a d1 school to be 3rd string. Dude could start at half of the other big ten schools. Just baffeling.

Dziewa and Kelly were the winners of this staff not taking charge of this in April of 2014. Now it appears they want to do it again. Must be nice to be Carton and Rhoads this nov come wrestleoffs. But yet they will just let those 2 never started before guys have the jump on those spots..all while putting sorny, a returning 4th place AA through the meat grinder just to be a starter aagain.
So I pray this staff is managing something other than what I just layed. They have to be insane if they are managing this the same. They just can't be

A competent professional S&C Coach could help mold the team into a more predictable weight range coming into the season. As it stands now, does the staff have an accurate read on what these guys are weighing in the off-season and what EXACTLY they are doing to "hit" a desired range when they step into the room in the Fall? Is it a casual email or talk at season's end or is it a highly structured, highly monitored individualized plan? In other words, is the plan --if one exists-- being monitored closely by the staff? If not, this is exhibit A as to why a professional S&C Coach needs to be a priority. Have a plan: maintain weight while increasing quickness, strength, flexibility; substantially increase strength with potential weight gains or cut weight while retaining strength, and increase quickness. Brands and Company need to dictate these goals for each individual wrestler who is a potential starter and the S&C coach needs to craft a workable plan and be responsible for monitoring and adjusting the program in the off-season as results dictate.

If Brands and Company are not comfortable micro managing the weight scuffling needs, a solid S&C coach would perhaps unlock the highest potential for the overall team. In what weight classes are we vulnerable and where do we need an upgrade? Where is our competition perhaps vulnerable? Which guys on the roster could potentially fill those spots with the right amount of off-season tweaking and still be a viable option? Which wrestlers need reality checks, and who needs a rigid, micro-managed off-season program?

The S&C coach could be a former wrestler (preferable?), but he must make S&C his priority above all other duties. He must be able to stand up and go against the status quo, and also be forceful enough to get the team to buy in and follow the plan. He must also be highly organized. Brands and Company must find the right guy and let him do his job and give him the means and authority to do it-- no second guessing his decisions mid-stream. Have a strategic plan, work it rigorously, monitor results religiously and demand maximum effort to reach the stated goals. I believe the right guy could be worth 15 points at NCAAs. The position, if filled correctly, is that important.

Reactions: andegre
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT