ADVERTISEMENT

Some feedback please

andegre

HR Heisman
May 18, 2004
Urbandale, IA
So I'm finally working stuff that everyone can "see" (been doing alot of architectural changes/code style changes, etc that never are displayed on the site).

I've re-worked the wrestlers profile page. It now displays general stats for every season that's in the database. As well as all match results that is stored. What are everyones thoughts? Example here: http://testwrestlestat.apphb.com/wrestler/profile/13513/lavallee-joey

(BTW, for some reason some Hawk pages are not coming up, I'll work on those when I get home)

I've also started re-working the roster page. I really didn't like how you had to "edit" all of the stuff about a wrestler directly from the roster page. So now the roster page is going to just be a view-only page. Any edits to a wrestler (starter, weight, class, etc) will be done on a new wrestler edit page (yet to be developed). Anyway, I wanted the roster page to be easier to view/navigate when on mobile phones, but I don't really like the way it looks so far on desktop.

Can you guys (and gals) provide some feedback on how to make the roster page look better? Here's an example page: http://testwrestlestat.apphb.com/team/roster/34/iowa

Hey man! I've been guessing you'd be having some new stuff for us here soon. Here are my (solicited ;) thoughts:

Wrestler Profile Page
- this looks dope overall
- love the season summaries at the top, with the full match list from both seasons down below
- I'm assuming the Delete match button won't be available in production?
- from the Wish List files...any column header = sortable ;)
- page grouping header suggestion: call the first one 'Season Summaries'
- page grouping header suggestion: drop the 'Year by Year Match Results' words & label them simply 'Tourney Season: ____' or 'Season' like you have above. We all know that wrestling season runs across two calendar years, so I've personally adopted a season-reference naming convention of 'Tourney Season 2015', but if you're married to the idea of listing both calendar years covered by a single season, try to find some way to improve the visibility--maybe use slashes instead of hyphens? Like 'Season: 2014/2015' or '2014/2015 Season Match Results.' Still, I think it looks clean enough like you've got them listed in the Season Summaries section--with a single calendar year listed.
- something else that may help the top of the page indicate to the eye that both seasons listed in the Season Summaries have corresponding match results below would be a hyperlink where clicking the season year in the summaries section, navigates you to that season's match results start.

Roster Page
- this one's a little tougher to read
- big suggestion: abandon the double-line record display (far too tough on the eye)
- suggestion: insert (sortable ;) column headers
- find some way to indicate which season the eligibility value matches to, probably by specifying it in the column header

Hope that helps! As always, thanks for your continued work on the site and for soliciting fan feedback. And mostly for keeping it free AND public. Keep up the good work, sir!

Reactions: andegre
Hey jtothemfp, thanks for the feedback.

Profile page:
Delete button - yes, this is only supposed to be available to me/admins, not sure why it stopped working

Sortable columns - I tried adding this last offseason, but the tool that I needed to use for was causing me headaches, and I had alot of other stuff to work on so I dropped it. I'll try and re-visit this change.

I can easily change the grouping names.

Match results link from season summaries section - good idea! I can do an in-page link to the corresponding match results section.

Roster page:
2 lines: I can definitely switch back to the single line format. (That will also allow for column sorting if/when I get that put in).

Not sure what you mean by "find some way to indicate which season the eligibility value matches to, probably by specifying it in the column header" - is this just because it was the double-line view, and you didn't know which wrestler the eligibility was for? If so, that will be fixed with the single line format.

Also, what I haven't added in yet, I'm going to have some icon indicators for Starter (probably just some sort of an "S", redshirt (hopefully just a red t-shirt icon, if I can find one), and a little hospital logo/icon to indicate that the wrestler is currently injured.

Again, thanks for the feedback!

Oh, by the way, for everyone visiting my site today, and for the past month or so. The recruits that are for 2016 are still showing up as 2015 recruits. I'll try to remember to get those updated tonight so everything looks correct. I'll also try to increment the "season" so everything should be viewed as if it's the 2015-2016 season (hopefully there's not too much extra work that I don't realize for this...)

Hey jtothemfp, thanks for the feedback.

Not sure what you mean by "find some way to indicate which season the eligibility value matches to, probably by specifying it in the column header" - is this just because it was the double-line view, and you didn't know which wrestler the eligibility was for? If so, that will be fixed with the single line format.

I think you just posted a follow-up on this...I only meant that since you've now got multiple seasons at play on the site, whenever you list a wrestler's eligibility it needs to be clear which season that eligibility matches with. Like, LaVallee's listed in your summary section as a SO for both 2015 season & 2014 season. In the Roster section, if I see Gilman listed as a SO, I need to be sure I know that that SO eligibility was a SO in the 2015 Season and if I'm in the 2016 Season, it should be clear that his eligibility is now a JR.

Also, what I haven't added in yet, I'm going to have some icon indicators for Starter (probably just some sort of an "S", redshirt (hopefully just a red t-shirt icon, if I can find one), and a little hospital logo/icon to indicate that the wrestler is currently injured.

This sounds awesome. If you can, I would find some way to distinguish between:
- a redshirt has already been used (probably best to prepend RS to the eligibility year)
- a redshirt which is being used
- a redshirt which is still available
I can't think of a good way to do those last two right now, tho lol.

Again, thanks for the feedback!

Ah yes, (eligibility), I was going to fix that eventually. Along with the rankings for that particular season. One of my big re-writes I'm finishing up with is to be able to show the ENTIRE HISTORY of a wrestler's, and team's rankings. Once that is done, It will show their ranking at the end of previous seasons. Also on the wrestlers profile page, there will be a "ranking history" link, where you can see what the rankings were for a wrestler for as far back as I have data for.

That's the beauty of computer-generated rankings, I'll be able to plug in "calculate rankings based on december 14th, 2013.....

The has redshirted is easy, just prepend the "RS" like you said to their eligibilty. The "is" redshirting will be easy as well, just show a red t-shirt icon next to their name. I think the "can redshirt" should then be implied by checking for the first two indicators that I just mentioned.

I just checked in a change to move the roster page back to single line format. I hope I didn't crash the roster page because I kind of did it blindly here while at work :)

Great stuff - love the site as always. Took a quick look and only one thing caught my eye. Both Lavallee's seasons are listed as SO. Would be awesome if you can designate which seasons are RS (can't until after the season I realize, and man that is a lot of work). Do you have help with data input - this is an incredible amount of work you do.

Great stuff - love the site as always. Took a quick look and only one thing caught my eye. Both Lavallee's seasons are listed as SO. Would be awesome if you can designate which seasons are RS (can't until after the season I realize, and man that is a lot of work). Do you have help with data input - this is an incredible amount of work you do.
Yes, I have help on the data input. Our friend Obrats (Rutgers guy), he deserves some recognition here!

The eligibility year will be fixed soon. That will be fixed along with showing the rankings for the specific season, instead of what the current rankings/eligibilty is for the wrestler.

One other suggestion - I think I've made this before, not sure if it may be too labor intensive or if there is a coding issue:

Show the actual weights where the match was contested. Many times this may not seem important, but in the context that I use your site for stats wise and projections - a lot of times this comes into play. Shows when somebody dropped, multiple matches against a common opponent might have different types of results at different weights. This is very useful.

One other suggestion - I think I've made this before, not sure if it may be too labor intensive or if there is a coding issue:

Show the actual weights where the match was contested. Many times this may not seem important, but in the context that I use your site for stats wise and projections - a lot of times this comes into play. Shows when somebody dropped, multiple matches against a common opponent might have different types of results at different weights. This is very useful.
Ah yes, I actually already have that data saved, I just don't display it. I'll make sure to get it added.

I've implemented some of the recommendations (except column sorting).

I've also done the re-styling for both Depth chart pages, as well as both Eligibility breakdown pages.

Reactions: obrats
Hi Greg,

I'm late to the thread but would like if we can see conference ranking for each weigh class. So example would be I would like to see 141 pound ranking with only Big 10 wrestlers (and possibly only starters). As you know I have no idea what it would take to do this so if it is not possible I understand.

Dan

Hi Greg,

I'm late to the thread but would like if we can see conference ranking for each weigh class. So example would be I would like to see 141 pound ranking with only Big 10 wrestlers (and possibly only starters). As you know I have no idea what it would take to do this so if it is not possible I understand.

Dan
Hey Dan, actually, that's already there (kind of). When viewing the rankings by weight, the conference next to each wrestler is underlined, which means it's a hyperlink. If you click that, it will filter for that conference.

example: http://testwrestlestat.apphb.com/rankings/weight/141/big-ten

Hi Greg,

Dan
Also, I guess the way I have it implemented right now is not very intuitive. I'll update that shortly so it always shows the filter option at the top of the table, so it's obvious to users.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT