ADVERTISEMENT

Some PTL Stats (after 2 games)

2432Hawk

HR Legend
Gold Member
Jun 22, 2002
Pardeeville, WI
Just some quick PTL stat observations on 3 guys I think are key to 2015-16 season after 2 PTL games (yeah in depth stuff huh?)

Dale Jones
15/38 FG's 39.5%
9/23 3ptrs 39.1%
3/5 FTs 60.0%
21.5 ppg / 9.0 rpg / 3.0 apg

Peter Jok
13/21 FG's 61.9%
9/15 3ptrs 60.0%
3/4 FTs 75.0 %
19.0 ppg / 7.0 rpg / 2.5 apg

Adam Woodbury
19/36 FG's 52.8 %
0/0 3ptrs NA
4/6 FTs 66.7%
21.0 ppg / 18.5 rpg / 4.5 apg

Woody should get a lot of rebounds because of his size, but when you are getting 18+ it means you have figured some things out.

Yeah, even if you're 7-1, the smaller more athletic guys will outrebound you if your effort and technique aren't there. Not saying that his numbers mean much, but I like to see he's doing well.

Yeah, even if you're 7-1, the smaller more athletic guys will outrebound you if your effort and technique aren't there. Not saying that his numbers mean much, but I like to see he's doing well.

With White and Gabe gone, Woody should average 8 or 9 boards a game, if he averages 30 min/game. I am more interested in how the Jones plays on the defensive end than on the offensive end. Guys at the four need to help defend the basket finish defensive possessions by rebounding...

How's Wagner looking?
I'm really hoping he can be an athletic presence inside and potentially get some minutes at the 4.

How's Wagner looking?
I'm really hoping he can be an athletic presence inside and potentially get some minutes at the 4.

Man, we need some big guys bad. The Purdues and Mich States of the B1G are going to maul us to death. Just take it to the hoop, get the foul or basket, if you miss, get the rebound.

I am more interested in how the Jones plays on the defensive end than on the offensive end. Guys at the four need to help defend the basket finish defensive possessions by rebounding...

IIRC jones was second in the league in defensive rebounding with 144 in conf play and sixth overall with 159. so only 15 on the offensive side. sounds like he stays on the perimeter on offensive and works in the lane on the defensive end.

With White and Gabe gone, Woody should average 8 or 9 boards a game, if he averages 30 min/game. I am more interested in how the Jones plays on the defensive end than on the offensive end. Guys at the four need to help defend the basket finish defensive possessions by rebounding...

On a per minute basis, Woody and Gabe were the two best rebounders on the team last year. Woody's issue will be being on the court, can he play 30 mpg? I

Reactions: RocknRollface
On a per minute basis, Woody and Gabe were the two best rebounders on the team last year. Woody's issue will be being on the court, can he play 30 mpg? I
Yeah, that is the big question- how long can Woody stay on the court? Based on the numbers, if played 30min/game, he could probably snag 8+ rb/game. In order to do that, his fouls/minute would have to go down drastically as, at the current rate, if he played 30min/game, he'd average 3.9 fouls/game. Fran has tried to play him his entire career so he'd average 2.5-2.7 fouls/game. Now, his fouls did have a nice dip from his soph to jr seasons. With the same drop as a senior, I'd believe he could play 25 minutes/game. For that amount of time on the court, Woody could project to 7+ rbs/game. That might be possible.

Man, we need some big guys bad. The Purdues and Mich States of the B1G are going to maul us to death. Just take it to the hoop, get the foul or basket, if you miss, get the rebound.

Yes Purdue vs Iowa will be a miss match both ways.

I don't think MSU is anywhere near that big. There just a tough physical team but there starting post players went like 6'8 and 6'4 last year.

Maryland is also big but outside of them and Purdue the rest of the league has been going smaller in general.

I said it last season and I'm sticking with it: Woody will lead the B1G in rebounding unless injury or dishonest officiating sidelines him. I think all four seniors will have good years and the three starters will have especially good seasons to come. Uthoff has a chance to be B1G MVP. He may lack the toughness to get there but with the development of some shooting consistency to go with what will probably a substantial increase in attempts and we might have our first 20 PPG scorer since what, Roy Marble?

Thanks for the stats.

I said it last season and I'm sticking with it: Woody will lead the B1G in rebounding unless injury or dishonest officiating sidelines him. I think all four seniors will have good years and the three starters will have especially good seasons to come. Uthoff has a chance to be B1G MVP. He may lack the toughness to get there but with the development of some shooting consistency to go with what will probably a substantial increase in attempts and we might have our first 20 PPG scorer since what, Roy Marble?

Thanks for the stats.

Woolridge

Yes, thanks for the stats. I believe Iowa will already have a good team in a very, very good Big Ten. Which puts them in a dog fight to earn an NCAA invite. I'm confident that the seniors and Jok, barring injuries to anyone, will be a formidable foundation, with Uthoff the keystone keeping the doorway open to even better things.

Uhl, Jones, we'll find not replacements for White and Olasani, but capable new guys to get those minutes.

What stands as the mystery and chance for even better is the seven freshmen, counting the redshirts. If even just a couple of them have the kind of first year like White had? Or Basabe had? It could put us on the outside of the top three or four in the league and knocking to get let in.

I think we'll be deeper. I think three point shooting will be a strength. I think that rebounding might surprise with the athletes we have. Defensively once one forgets about three very thick teams, Purdue, Maryland and Michigan State (thick, not just tall...and talent added in, not just weight) we match up well with the rest of the league. And as someone mentioned, those big teams have to match up with us as well.

My big worry is so much of our scoring came from the free throw line, can our outside shooting make up the difference? We'll see.

Yes, thanks for the stats. I believe Iowa will already have a good team in a very, very good Big Ten. Which puts them in a dog fight to earn an NCAA invite. I'm confident that the seniors and Jok, barring injuries to anyone, will be a formidable foundation, with Uthoff the keystone keeping the doorway open to even better things.

Uhl, Jones, we'll find not replacements for White and Olasani, but capable new guys to get those minutes.

What stands as the mystery and chance for even better is the seven freshmen, counting the redshirts. If even just a couple of them have the kind of first year like White had? Or Basabe had? It could put us on the outside of the top three or four in the league and knocking to get let in.

I think we'll be deeper. I think three point shooting will be a strength. I think that rebounding might surprise with the athletes we have. Defensively once one forgets about three very thick teams, Purdue, Maryland and Michigan State (thick, not just tall...and talent added in, not just weight) we match up well with the rest of the league. And as someone mentioned, those big teams have to match up with us as well.

My big worry is so much of our scoring came from the free throw line, can our outside shooting make up the difference? We'll see.

Having Uthoff, Jok and Jones on the floor together could be interesting. Might look kind of like ISU teams of the past couple years. Giving up allot of points but scoring allot of points.

If you have 3 tall guys who can shoot around %40 from 3 thats hard to beat no matter how bad at defense they are.

Good catch. I wondered about him but didn't think he broke the 20 ppg barrier. That kind of senior year with a lot better talent around him could make for a special year.

Having Uthoff, Jok and Jones on the floor together could be interesting. Might look kind of like ISU teams of the past couple years. Giving up allot of points but scoring allot of points.

If you have 3 tall guys who can shoot around %40 from 3 thats hard to beat no matter how bad at defense they are.
I'll say it now: Uthoff could be on the all-B1G defensive team. He, not Olaseni, led the team in blocks. He's also the leading returner in steals for Iowa. Jok didn't start out as a good defensive player, and he'll never be a stopper, but he's becoming pretty good. The weak defensive link when JU, Jok, and Jones play together is likely to be Jones.

Reactions: johnnashhawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT