ADVERTISEMENT

Steven Holloway to Iowa

Great "get" for Iowa. After watching him against Bobby Stevenson the kid definitely has promise.

Kick ass, great late addition at a needed weight class. Welcome Mr. Holloway!

Welcome Mr. Holloway.

Recruiting athletes: a trend? I hope so.

Lets stop the Missouri the leak.

don't know much about him. why do you guys think he's a good get?
only pursued by Indiana and UNI
I don't fell like going into a lengthy response, but anytime you get a ranked recruit at a need weight it is a pretty good get. Flo has him around #80 in their top 100, so he isn't a blue chipper but is certainly well thought of.

Being an Iowa resident and I hear a good student, it probably made hima good bargin. He is also coming in a real 197, not starting at 174 or 84 and trying to beef up. He could be the biggest strongest most athletic 197 we've had in years after his redshirt year. If he had been training and had a gas tank, I think he could have beat Stevenson, who is considered one of the best 197 in the country.

KF could use him for some LB depth as well. He's everywhere on the football field. Great all around athlete.

He was pursued by many,many programs. He narrowed his considerations to Iowa/Uni/Indiana

This, and he is a top 100 prospect. In what world would getting a top 100 prospect not be a good thing, or not be an indicator that the wrestler has some talent? It's a good thing.

Steven not only has freakish athletic skills, he is also extremely mentally tough. He will walk into the Iowa wrestling room with the attitude that he is the guy everyone else has to beat. I've been fortunate enough to see him wrestle since his youth days and he's had that attitude from the first time I saw him on the mat. Holloway has a ton of potential and it wouldn't surprise me in the least to see him on the podium in two or three years.

I could also see another Mediapolis Bulldog being a big surprise for the Hawks: Cole Erickson is one of the most polished wrestlers I've seen in a long time. He has all the tools he'll need to be successful at Iowa. In fact, coming out of jr. high, I thought Cole would be the two time state champ, at least. Cole had to deal with a series of unfortunate events that derailed his state championship dreams, but I'm willing to bet those set backs only added fuel to his desire!

Some results:

2015 IHSAA State Championships (02/19 - 02/21/2015)
2A-195 (1st)
Champ. Round 1 - Steven Holloway (Mediapolis) 52-1 won by fall over Ko Kieft (Sioux Center) 29-11 (Fall 1:06)
Quarterfinal - Steven Holloway (Mediapolis) 52-1 won by fall over Tyler Case (Pocahontas Area) 19-5 (Fall 1:54)
Semifinal - Steven Holloway (Mediapolis) 52-1 won by decision over Izaak Shedenhelm (Denver/Tripoli) 40-2 (Dec 6-4)
1st Place Match - Steven Holloway (Mediapolis) 52-1 won by decision over Brad Skubal (Washington) 43-4 (Dec 9-2)

The Clash XIII (01/02 - 01/03/2015)
220 - Steven Holloway (Mediapolis) over Kez Flomo (Totino-Grace) Dec 7-3
195 - Steven Holloway (Mediapolis) over Chance Cary (Pleasant Valley) Fall 1:23
195 - Steven Holloway (Mediapolis) over Deshon Lester (Jefferson Dragons ) Fall 1:37
220 - Steven Holloway (Mediapolis) over Dylan Gyberg (Adrian ) Fall 1:58
195 - Keegan Moore (Jackson County Central) over Steven Holloway (Mediapolis) Dec 4-3 **Moore ranked #3 @ 182 and Holloway's only loss this season.
195 - Steven Holloway (Mediapolis) over Anthony Mostachio (Grant) Fall 0:59

AAU Scholastic Duals District All-Stars (06/28 - 07/02/2014) - Disney Duals **Last summer**
195 - Steven Holloway (Iowa Black) over Travis Field (Team Montana) Fall 1:23
195 - Steven Holloway (Iowa Black) over Jacob Worthington (Ohio Titan) Fall 0:42
195 - Steven Holloway (Iowa Black) over Demazio Samuel (NC Dream Team Optimus Prime) Fall 2:59
195 - Steven Holloway (Iowa Black) over Jacob Aven (Michigan Gold Pittbulls) Dec 7-1
195 - Bailey Faust (Team Ohio Mafia) over Steven Holloway (Iowa Black) Dec 3-0
195 - Steven Holloway (Iowa Black) over Kobe Woods (Penn X Treme Gold) Dec 5-4
195 - Steven Holloway (Iowa Black) over Brett Mcgill (Brawlers Select) Fall 0:43
195 - Steven Holloway (Iowa Black) over Nathanael Rose (NY Kong) Maj 14-5
195 - Steven Holloway (Iowa Black) over Kyle Kremiller (Ohio Grapplers) Dec 3-1
195 - Steven Holloway (Iowa Black) over Travis Schmeling (Young Guns Blue) Fall 1:05
195 - Steven Holloway (Iowa Black) over Tyler Worthing (Young Guns Black) Dec 5-2

This is an excellent pick up for the Hawks. The potential for him is through the roof. I have been able to watch him for many years and have always thought that he was Hawkeye material. Can't wait to watch him in black and gold.

Don't know much about the kid but enough of you are excited that its good enough for me. Delzell, hope you are right about his attitude.

I thought he was waiting to see if he be offered a football scholly somewhere. don't know how that went, I have seen him play and he was everywhere.

I have to admit I hadn't heard a lot about him but I like what you guys are saying. I really like that he is a great overall athlete. Needed weight, great student, great athlete, home state kid...what's not to love about this pick up? Welcome and best of luck Mr. Holloway, can't wait to start cheering for you in the black and gold!

Don't know much about the kid but enough of you are excited that its good enough for me. Delzell, hope you are right about his attitude.
I don't know if he's the 2nd coming of Lee Fullhart, but at least he looks the part, 6'2" and built, in-state kid, 3x Finalist 2x Champ, All-State Linebacker, need weight. What's not to like I guess. Looks like a damn good pickup to me.

Great pickup IMO. Fits with my plan perfectly ;). Athletic guy with upside at a probably low cost. Fills a need. Now go spend your money and go get Lee and Hall!!

Solid pick up this late in the game. He reminds of Ethan Lofthouse a bit though guys. REALLY good on top, pretty good on his feet but not so good on bottom. He is a great athlete with a lot of upside so I'm hoping for the best out of him. He did not cost all that much either. Glad he is a Hawk and looking forward to watching him develop over the years.

We badly needed a true 197-pounder to follow Burak. Great opportunity for Holloway--he could be a 4-year starter if he gets after it and owns it. Better alternative than Downey? Hard to say, but probably less downside risk. And still a big opportunity for Wilcke to own 184 following Brooks, so not pushing anybody out of the lineup.

Solid pick up this late in the game. He reminds of Ethan Lofthouse a bit though guys. REALLY good on top, pretty good on his feet but not so good on bottom. He is a great athlete with a lot of upside so I'm hoping for the best out of him. He did not cost all that much either. Glad he is a Hawk and looking forward to watching him develop over the years.

Nothing wrong being compared to EL, wrestling or athletic wise. EL's issue was pulling the trigger not a shortcoming of his wrestling or athletic ability. Just my opinion though.

Nothing wrong being compared to EL, wrestling or athletic wise. EL's issue was pulling the trigger not a shortcoming of his wrestling or athletic ability. Just my opinion though.
Ethen had some skills to be sure, he just didn't put them on display near often enough.

Sounds like a perfect fit to me. If what everyone's saying about some conditioning issues with lots of ability and desire, then Brands and Co. should bring out the best in him. Did I miss who is replacing Uncle Luke as the strength and conditioning coach? Seems like that decision could really help Holloway reach his potential. This years recruiting class is shaping up pretty well. A couple top tier studs in Kemmerer, Turk and Holloway and some others that worst case scenario create a ton of depth in the room.
2016/2017 way to early lineup:
125- Thomas Gilman Sr
133- Cory Clark Sr
141-Vince Turk RsFr
149- Brandon Sorensen Jr
157-Michael Kemmerer RsFr
165-Joey Gunther RsFr/ Burke Paddock-So
174-Alex Meyer-Sr
184-Sammy Brooks-Sr
197-Steven Holloway-RsFr
Hwt-Aaron Bradley/Sam Stoll So

Looks like a team that could make some noise at the National Tourney.

Sounds like a perfect fit to me. If what everyone's saying about some conditioning issues with lots of ability and desire, then Brands and Co. should bring out the best in him. Did I miss who is replacing Uncle Luke as the strength and conditioning coach? Seems like that decision could really help Holloway reach his potential. This years recruiting class is shaping up pretty well. A couple top tier studs in Kemmerer, Turk and Holloway and some others that worst case scenario create a ton of depth in the room.
2016/2017 way to early lineup:
125- Thomas Gilman Sr
133- Cory Clark Sr
141-Vince Turk RsFr
149- Brandon Sorensen Jr
157-Michael Kemmerer RsFr
165-Joey Gunther RsFr/ Burke Paddock-So
174-Alex Meyer-Sr
184-Sammy Brooks-Sr
197-Steven Holloway-RsFr
Hwt-Aaron Bradley/Sam Stoll So

Looks like a team that could make some noise at the National Tourney.

Guys like Turk and Holloway are good addition and I'm pleased to have them as Hawkeyes but putting them in the same breath with Kemerer as a "top tier" recruits misses the mark considerably.

Guys like Turk and Holloway are good addition and I'm pleased to have them as Hawkeyes but putting them in the same breath with Kemerer as a "top tier" recruits misses the mark considerably.

I'm happy with these recruits. IMO, we've learned a little from Missiori - that is, get as many athletes as possible. If one of these guys come through for us they're gonna come through in a big way. In addition, these strong athletic kids can better withstand the wear and tear of five years of D1 wrestling.

Tom and Terry have their eyes wide open and are continually making corrections and upgrades to the program. Turk, Moody, and Holloway aren't accidents. IMO our coaches have shifted course and I like the future.

Reactions: thom67
While they may not be top tier (top 10-20) its not missing the mark considerably. Holloway wrestled close matches with Stevenson and Keegan Moore, and who knows with being in top shape could of been different. Holloway didnt have a lot of competition in Iowa so i think once he gets in the room people may be surprised how good he may become. Also, obviously I'm biased but watch out for Erickson as well, very talented and hard worker.

I'm happy with these recruits. IMO, we've learned a little from Missiori - that is, get as many athletes as possible. If one of these guys come through for us they're gonna come through in a big way. In addition, these strong athletic kids can better withstand the wear and tear of five years of D1 wrestling.

Tom and Terry have their eyes wide open and are continually making corrections and upgrades to the program. Turk, Moody, and Holloway aren't accidents. IMO our coaches have shifted course and I like the future.

I have been campaigning for this for many years. The hope that these kids fit bill of the type of athlete and wrestler you're talking about. That hope is one of the reasons I'm so pleased about these kids along with a couple others in this class. My issue is not with the kids rather with the adjective used.

As a Mepo alum & Hawkeye fan I am extremely excited about Steven's commitment. Even though I've long since graduated I've been close to the program, and I've watched Holloway very closely the last four years. From a pure athletic standpoint, I am not sure Iowa has ever had a kid of his size that is this athletic. Yes, he's built like a tank and stronger than an ox, but IMO, the attribute that separates him from most kids his size is his explosiveness. He has literally done some things which would blow your hair back! Not many D1 197 pounders possess that kind of explosiveness s. Most of those kids end up playing football in college.

Steven has come along way from a conditioning standpoint from his freshman year. He used to take a lot of lung timeouts. The last two years he has gained more confidence in his conditioning, but he still seemed to coast at times, specifically in the down position. If Steven embraces the daily practice grind & TnT can get him to just wrestle hard for seven minutes & not think about how tired he is then watch out; the sky is the limit for this kid! I'm talking multiple AA & possibly NCAA titles!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT