ADVERTISEMENT

Stump that town - name a town in Iowa noone on this board has been

Re: PoDunk Towns

Ledyard I went to school there through my Junior year. We had the largest class in the school with 17 students. Consolidated with another town my Sr. year. I have been to many of the PoDunk towns on this thread. I like small town bars.

Re: .....Colwell

Played against Colwell Park in Bancroft and got beat. Played then again in Scarville and beat them. Also have played in Carpenter, Kensett, and Northwood.

Re: Pisgah??

My aunt lives IN the town of Colwell. Colwell is NE of Charles City and NW of New Hampton. It's also West of Alta Vista. ;-)

Part of the old tri-rivers conference. School district for East Buc??? Robert Gallery area.

Originally posted by hawkinwi:
Part of the old tri-rivers conference. School district for East Buc??? Robert Gallery area.
you better believe Quasky is a part of the East Buc district. Heres a few more from that general area how about Coggon, Walker, Rowley, Brandon, Monti, Troy Mills, Prairieburg?

MinnHawk.....Wexford?

I'm impressed with Wexford. If you know where that is you must know where Elon (also unincorporated) is. I've been through and in every one you mentioned and played ball in a lot of them. (Waterville Elementary, Waukon grad, slow pitch and semi-fast softball) Haven't seen anybody mention Churchtown. Extra credit to anybody that can find their way to and from the Sattre Store! Usually, you "end up" there when you're out on tour. Has anybody mentioned Bassett?

Here's a good one.............

Dinsdale, Ia, population 49 back in the day. Haven't been there in years, bet it's half that now.

Used to be a broom factory there, a general store, a large farm and that was pretty much it.

Mike

Re: MinnHawk.....Wexford?

Bassett is located about halfway between New Hampton and Charles City on Highway 18. Just to the east of Bassett is the turn for Raleigh Hill Country Club. It's a course literally cut out of cornfields and brush. It has narrow fairways and a number of trees. It's an interesting course and the clubhouse is a popular place for wedding receptions. (That's where we had ours)

Can't believe I read through all those towns and still found 7 I knew of not mentioned. Coalville, Vincent, Badger, Otho, Holly Springs, Woolstock, Grant. Of all the towns/settlements mentioned I'd be surprised if I heard of 1/4 of them before.

Originally posted by IaPhoneMan4Hawks:
Can't believe I read through all those towns and still found 7 I knew of not mentioned. Coalville, Vincent, Badger, Otho, Holly Springs, Woolstock, Grant. Of all the towns/settlements mentioned I'd be surprised if I heard of 1/4 of them before.
I went through Holly Springs on the way to Rodney last weekend for a graduation. Anyone ever heard of Juniata? It is south of Storm Lake. An abandoned town that is now home to one man and his junkyard. The old dance hall is now his auto repair shop. Hanover is also in that area, southwest of Storm Lake.

How about McIntire or Maple Leaf? Well Maple Leaf really isn't a town anymore, but there used to be two abandoned stores there when I was a kid.

Originally posted by Hawksince73:
Originally posted by IaPhoneMan4Hawks:
I went through Holly Springs on the way to Rodney last weekend for a graduation. Anyone ever heard of Juniata? It is south of Storm Lake. An abandoned town that is now home to one man and his junkyard. The old dance hall is now his auto repair shop. Hanover is also in that area, southwest of Storm Lake.

Yeah, I worked in the Storm Lake area for awhile so I've seen it on the plat maps, Hanover too. Alot of the most obsure ones are "used to be" towns and settlements with just a building or two or simply a marker like Grant Center near Castana over here...

Dinsdale?? Hell yes.... I used to live about 3 miles from there. And yeah, it has about 7 people living there, 18 if you include pets. A bunch of my friends and I sneak into the old schoolhouse there... it's scarier than linin' up across from Gallery, but it is a great time.

Dinsdale?? Hell yes.... I used to live about 3 miles from there. And yeah, it has about 7 people living there, 18 if you include pets. A bunch of my friends and I sneak into the old schoolhouse there... it's scarier than linin' up across from Gallery, but it is a great time.

Burr Oak
Costy....home of the Rollie Pollie world championship.

I have a friend from Burr Oak and nobodys been there

Re: maybe these have been mentioned...but I didnt want to read the whole..

I've been to all of those king3 and I live in Hampton. Nice try.

How about Volney and Waukon Junction?

Originally posted by herkyinclowntown:
Waterville
Gunder
Blufton
Churchtown (unincorportated)

On the way to New Albin from Waukon is another that escapes me, but its a conglomeration of about 10 houses and an abandoned gas station... Those of you who scratch you're head at the mention of New Albin...shame shame
New Albin is the home of the great Shookie Fink.

Re: A Few More

BLOCKQUOTE>
Paullina had a great basketball player about 30 years ago, I think. Denny Pauling , was a Hawk.

Re: multiple-sorry

Originally posted by chmersch:
I have relatives in:

Luana

Anyone been to Luana
Oh ya, went to junior high there and been to the Heidelberg many times.

mfl66

Have been to Volney and Waukon Juntion before. My in-laws have a trailer on the river just north of the Junction. Are you from Monona, Farmersburg or Luana? I have some cousins in Monona.

Re: mfl66

Who are mfl66? I just graduated from MFL MM in May and yeah, I know the "village" ur talking about between Waukon and Lansing, but I can't remember what its called. And who are your cousins ca4cy?

Ah yes, Carbon may not have running water, but they just had Local H headline a 10 band concert that pulled in almost 600 people. Not to mention going through 15 kegs. Not band for a town of 10.

Re: Pitcher

Originally posted by Hawkfin:
Could have been. When I was a kid I went to a couple of their tournaments in Iowa (which AL dominated). He was a major stud. Do you know where Pittsburgh is, in that general area. I didn't want to give you a lay-up like Eldon or Douds.

I'm from Eldon. It's a great place to be from...as far from as possible! I think that I like to do quite a little bit of road tripping so I have hit MANY of these little towns. I was going to throw Bladensburg out there but I don't know if it is incorporated or not.
This post was edited on 7/11 5:27 PM

Re: multiple-sorry

what about Wayland with "The Bar" or Noble, Trenton, Coppock, Swedesburg, Crawfordsville, New Boston.

NW Iowa

Middleburg or Carmel ?

Wish I still had the list of towns we went thru when road tripping from Sioux Center to Allison. other than crossing them or buying more beer never left the gravel.

Re: warrior

Trenton is NW of Mt. Pleasant. I also had the pleasure of visiting Denmark, Iowa a few weeks ago.

ADVERTISEMENT