ADVERTISEMENT

Summer Brands interview!

I understand the "rebuilding" talk with 5 starters gone but I really like the make up of this team. I believe the team will definitely have an aggressive attitude. Not going to sit on leads or win by one or two. 25, 33, 49, 74 & 84 can realistically place in the top 4 at each weight and they'll do it by shoting first and more often. The leadership at 25 & 33 will be awesome to watch. I'm excited for next year and just as excited about the way Morningstar recruits. What an asset on the staff!

To win the core six of 125/133/149/174/184/197 will all need top 5 with 3 finalist and 2 champs. Maybe1 but psu/ tosu will have 2 champs. Basically half the core six need to be wrestling sat night. Gilman/Clark/Sorny

I think the combo of Gilman/Clark/Sorensen/Meyer/Brooks/Burak could be enough to contend for a title just by themselves. My very early prediction is that Gilman/Clark/Sorensen score somewhere in the ballpark of 60 pts between the 3 of them. All finalists, and about 1 champ for arguments sake. Then from Meyer/Brooks/Burak i think it is very realistic to score an average of about 15 pts each between them all, for another 45 pts. Might be best case scenario but Gilman scored 15.5 points with a 4th place finish, those 3 will all be top 5 and potential for the higher end of top 5.

This is not even factoring in what points we might get from Grothus if he is at 141 or 157, Paddock at 165, Stoll at Hwt, and whoever is manning 157/141 opposite Grothus (I assume that Grothus will NOT want to be on the bench his SR year so he will make a choice at some point. I am pro Sorensen at 149.)

The Hawks will be in the thick of things this year and for the foreseeable future, I think the young leadership on this team will be very beneficial to the scoring mindset. I think we can all agree the group of SR's last year was no the most offensive group, and maybe that wasn't the leadership this team needed. Young exciting wrestlers like Gilman/Clark/Sorensen/Meyer/Brooks all have at least 2 years left, 3 for Sorensen, and will provide the Stud leadership this team needs, as well as Burak and Grothus the 2 SR's. Similar to how most Championship teams have had stud leaders or pairs on their team during title runs.. Metcalf&Crew, Taylor/Ruth&Crew, Stiber&Crew.

we do have the 5 srs to replace but realistically only 2 of them scored any kind of points in the tourney. by the end of the season the new guys should be progressed enough to equal the lost points, then the returning guys improve on last year.everything has to go our way.we are due? ihawkd who are psts 2 champs, not saying they wont just wondering who you think they will be.

Then who would be the 2 from tOSU?
I know you didn't ask me Papa, but I don't see Tomasello repeating. He's a stud for sure, but Gillman had his number all year till B10's, I think Gillman's the better wrestler and makes the adjustment. I think Nashon Garrett from Cornell is better as well. Snyder has been pretty vocal about his desire to make the Olympic team and has said he is leaning towards an Olympic redshirt next season. Mega and MoMac have had Gillman and Burak's number unfortunately. Hope our guys can turn the corner.

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't Snyder taking the year off to go to the OTC and train? Pretty good source confirmed this last night for me but I still could be wrong. Its going to come down to psu, the Hawks and maybe Oky State. Garrett will more than likely be at 133 next year also....

I know you didn't ask me Papa, but I don't see Tomasello repeating. He's a stud for sure, but Gillman had his number all year till B10's, I think Gillman's the better wrestler and makes the adjustment. I think Nashon Garrett from Cornell is better as well. Snyder has been pretty vocal about his desire to make the Olympic team and has said he is leaning towards an Olympic redshirt next season. Mega and MoMac have had Gillman and Burak's number unfortunately. Hope our guys can turn the corner.
I am in the camp as well that Gilman is every bit as good as Tomasello and will beat him more often than not, IMO. Unfortunately, Gilman brain-farted in the Semi's and didn't get an opportunity to prove it in the NCAA Finals.

Score first and guys that want to make 1 takedown hold up for an entire match can't stall out on you (the Ref's will not take care of you, you know that going in). Then for giggles, go ahead and keep scoring.

Either will be hard pressed to take out Megaludis however, but both are certainly capable.

Good read. I did not realize how good of a record Brands has in his time at Iowa.

Also, I like the expectations Brands places on himself.

I don't know the specifics of coaching contracts in wrestling but I was sort of surprised to read Brands's contract expires at end of 2017 and no talk of extension... Is this Barta taking a wait and see approach? Or is there nothing to it?

Good read. I did not realize how good of a record Brands has in his time at Iowa.

Also, I like the expectations Brands places on himself.

I don't know the specifics of coaching contracts in wrestling but I was sort of surprised to read Brands's contract expires at end of 2017 and no talk of extension... Is this Barta taking a wait and see approach? Or is there nothing to it?
Nothing to see here. He has 2 more years on his contract.

Reactions: Knight563
Tosu. 2 between Snyder, tomasello,bojo if he moves from dierengers weight. And a healthy hunter down at 141. I think bojo could win 174

Psu. Nico. Zain at 149,

That's the problem with the argument that Brands should be on the hot seat. Who out there with the exception of Sanderson (with his considerable advantages in recruiting) has had more success? And who out there could be bring in that would be an upgrade? You could maybe make the argument for a guy like Jordan Burroughs, but there's no indication that he wants to coach and he has no coaching experience. You could bring up guys like jake Herbert, David Taylor, Kyle dake, but ditto on the experience and whether they have any interest in coaching. Also, they don't have the pedigree (yet). I support brands because I still think he's the man for the job, but I suppose that could be argued given that he hasn't won nationals since 2010. The thing that no one ever seems to provide is a coach who would be an upgrade.

Tosu. 2 between Snyder, tomasello,bojo if he moves from dierengers weight. And a healthy hunter down at 141. I think bojo could win 174

Psu. Nico. Zain at 149,

From 1994 to 2006, eight seniors won the NCAAs at 118/125. Since 2006 one senior (Robles) has won the 125 championship. I wouldn't bet on Nico - for whatever reason, 125 is now a young man's weight class.

Reactions: Azchief32
No need for a long term contract. Brands and Iowa are a great match.

No school out there that Brands would rather coach at.

No coach out there that Iowa would rather have.

Contract only through 2 more years - nothing to see here. Move along.

Reactions: Knight563
I agree that there is no viable replacement for Brands, and it's hard to see how anyone would argue otherwise. As he admits, we're here to win titles, and as he admits, we haven't in 5 years. We've either made some recruiting mistakes or some coaching mistakes over the past several years. (Plus some bad luck with injuries, but that's true of tOSU and PSU and Minny too). As long as we (and by we I mean Tom!) can look in the mirror and honestly assess those things we're doing wrong and have a viable plan to change those things, we'll win titles. I'm a Brands fan, both as a coach and person, and I think he'll get it done.

No need for a long term contract. Brands and Iowa are a great match.

No school out there that Brands would rather coach at.

No coach out there that Iowa would rather have.

Contract only through 2 more years - nothing to see here. Move along.
Agreed.

I think it's a little different dynamic too. It's Iowa Wrestling. You know whomever is at the helm of the program is going to be a legitimate top tier name. They pay well and can attract virtually anyone that has ever worn a singlet. The following and support is #1 with a bullet. So even if by chance Brands were to be replaced and/or the inevitable eventual retirement, insert former stud wrestler here ................ to take over and onward we go.

Plus Wrestling Coaches don't seem to "cry" like the Football and Basketball Coaches and their agents seeking at least 5 years on a contract every single year so a recruit "knows" you're going to be around (What a Country heh!). I suppose being a "non-revenue" sport is also in mix. I'm sure we all wished we had 5 years of guaranteed money on the table even if we sucked at our jobs! :D

Reactions: Jaybird319
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT