ADVERTISEMENT

Sunday a sad day for wrestlers

3boysmom

HR Legend
Dec 21, 2001
Omaha, NE
www.chooseyouradventuretravels.com
in the state of Nebraska. My heart just breaks for Doyle Trout and his family. 4 time state champ headed to Wyoming to wrestle involved in a serious car accident and apparently losing his left leg and seriously injuring the right.

Wrestler Jake Olson of Gretna also involved in a terrible accident near Valley, NE in which 4 people lost their lives. Jake was the driver of a truck which ran a stop sign hitting another vehicle and pushing that vehicle into oncoming traffic. All occupants of the other 2 vehicles passed. Jake and his passenger were seriously injured but were treated for their injuries and released.

As a parent these are my greatest fears. My children making mistakes that forever alter the course of their lives. Mistakes that cannot be fixed, that devastate other families.

Any prayers you could spare for all involved in these accidents I am sure would be greatly appreciated.

Doyle Trout

Originally posted by 3boysmom:
in the state of Nebraska. My heart just breaks for Doyle Trout and his family. 4 time state champ headed to Wyoming to wrestle involved in a serious car accident and apparently losing his left leg and seriously injuring the right.

Wrestler Jake Olson of Gretna also involved in a terrible accident near Valley, NE in which 4 people lost their lives. Jake was the driver of a truck which ran a stop sign hitting another vehicle and pushing that vehicle into oncoming traffic. All occupants of the other 2 vehicles passed. Jake and his passenger were seriously injured but were treated for their injuries and released.

As a parent these are my greatest fears. My children making mistakes that forever alter the course of their lives. Mistakes that cannot be fixed, that devastate other families.

Any prayers you could spare for all involved in these accidents I am sure would be greatly appreciated.
That is just awful. My condolences to all involved.

My goodness... Very sorry to hear this. Both accidents are so sad. Certainly makes me think about being careful out on the roads at all times.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Awful. Just awful.

I just read that nobody involved in the Valley accident was wearing a seatbelt.

I have a 16 year old that is beginning his driving alone and we talk about this type of stuff. I will send him the link. Praying for everyone involved.

Very sad news. Life is precious and can end at anytime, nobody on earth knows when our time is up.,...

Originally posted by 3boysmom:

It's too soon for inspirational examples to direct to the young man who lost his leg, but there are a number of them, including a DIII Iowa college wrestler who won a national title. Prayers to all involved.

3boysmom,

Just an idea -- if you have any contact with the young man who lost his leg, I could get him in touch with Nick Ackerman, the former DIII NCAA champ and Hodge Trophy winner from Simpson College who wrestled basically without legs. If nothing else, Nick could be a great source of support and inspiration for him, whether or not he ever tries to wrestle again. Of course, Nick's situation and this young man's situation are quite different, but there are obvious similarities, and Nick is by all accounts a terrific guy. I'm sure he'd do what he could to lift this young man's spirits, and I suspect he'd do quite well at that.

If you're interested in pursuing this, let me know and I can get the ball rolling.

I don't know him personally but I know someone who knows someone if that makes sense. My son has a mutual friend. I will have him reach out and see when it might be appropriate. I'm sure at this point he is still just trying to heal and wrap his mind around this new reality. But I can post here when we get some feedback.

Sounds good. Of course, it's early now, but at some point down the road, I suspect he could use a lift from a guy like Nick. Just let me know if he's interested.

That is sad news and prayers go out to the Trout family and the families of the victims. Another piece of sad news happened a week ago when Paul Cheney died. http://theguillotine.com/wp/2015/04/paul-l-cheney-1995-2015/

Paul was a Minnesota state champion from Apple Valley and a teammate of Seth Gross and Mark Hall. Please also pray for the Cheney family.

Unfortunate and tragic event and my thoughts and prayers go out to all of those impacted by this tragedy. Although this will be a lengthy recovery, both physically and mentally, this young man could very well have a very positive impact on people in the future. Showing strength and the ability to overcome a tragic event and living a fulfilled life. I truly believe this IMHO. I hope to see a great and inspiring story on this young man in the future.

This post was edited on 4/8 5:52 AM by shobart

Here's an interview with Doyle. He certainly seems to be handling the situation far better than I could.

(Caution: auto-load video will auto-load.)

For some reason, the link isn't staying attached, so here you go:

www.ketv.com/news/high-school-wrestler-speaks-out-after-losing-leg-in-crash/32365880
This post was edited on 4/14 7:42 PM by Wendy79

Ryan Kocer of Wagner, SD was a D- 1 recruit who lost his leg right before his senior year in high school. He ended up wrestling that year and still ended up 4th. There is hope after tragedies, but I sure wouldn't wish them on anyone.

http://archive.argusleader.com/article/20140302/COLUMNISTS0104/303020022/Whitney-Former-wrestler-s-resolve-shines-through-after-loss-leg

God Bless.

This post was edited on 4/16 5:04 PM by sweatybetty

It would be great to see Doyle return to the mat. Hopefully, Anthony Robles can help him adjust. I think he faces a much bigger challenge than Robles did as Robles had a lifetime to adapt. Good luck and godspeed Doyle.

ADVERTISEMENT