ADVERTISEMENT

Synder taking a Redshirt.

JustWrestle133

All-Conference
Aug 5, 2014
Takes Ohio State out of the favorite position. The Bucks do not have a competent back up 197. Talks of 174 Mark Martin coming up, or perhaps Freshmen Kolin Moore. Neither seems like very good options. This is good news for everyone else in the team race, as well as Burak and the other competitive 197's who all get to move up a spot.

197 just opened up quite a bit:

Gadsen- Graduated.
Synder redshirting
J'Den Cox- Redhirting then moving up to heavyweight
Schiller- Graduated.

That basically leaves McIntosh, Burak, and Hartman returning and Milkus coming up. A lot of points to be had.

What is the benefit to Snyder taking a redshirt? Do they think the team has a better chance at winning the National Championship in the following year?

What is the benefit to Snyder taking a redshirt? Do they think the team has a better chance at winning the National Championship in the following year?
The benefit is more for Snyder to go all out for the Olympics vs OSU's season next year. Martin likely would not make 174 again so this way both he and Courts make the lineup. Seems to invite Jordan to 174 as well.

The Olympic Gold Medal.

Does little to help Ohio State, although in 2019 they will be glad he is still eligible.

The benefit is more for Snyder to go all out for the Olympics vs OSU's season next year. Martin likely would not make 174 again so this way both he and Courts make the lineup. Seems to invite Jordan to 174 as well.

Martin still has a redshirt available, as he started as a true freshmen 3 years ago. I think Bo Jordan goes whatever weight Dieringer is not.

Martin still has a redshirt available, as he started as a true freshmen 3 years ago. I think Bo Jordan goes whatever weight Dieringer is not.
He could redshirt but then you have him and Myles Martin both sitting at 184 with Snyder back at 197 so not much use in it.

I hadn't really picked Burak to be a finalist this upcoming season, more of the 3-5 type, but this most recent development got me thinking that we might be seeing a McIntosh vs Burak final. I think Burak will be top 3 for sure next year, if it's true that Cox is either A) Redshirting or B) Moving straight up to hwt. Not saying Burak couldn't beat him, because we all saw the match at national duals, but i think with cox out of the picture, as well as Snyder being out of the picture next year, we could see a Significant point increase from Buraks end. I'd say it helps us point-wise almost as much as its going to hurt tOSU.

I now think Iowa has a good shot at 4 finalists next season in Gilman, Clark, Sorensen, and Burak. I also want to say Alex Meyer could be a surprise finalist, but I want to see how 174 shakes out early on in the season.. could have good guys moving up from 65 and coming down from 84 due to how much it cleared out at the top.

I hadn't really picked Burak to be a finalist this upcoming season, more of the 3-5 type, but this most recent development got me thinking that we might be seeing a McIntosh vs Burak final. I think Burak will be top 3 for sure next year, if it's true that Cox is either A) Redshirting or B) Moving straight up to hwt. Not saying Burak couldn't beat him, because we all saw the match at national duals, but i think with cox out of the picture, as well as Snyder being out of the picture next year, we could see a Significant point increase from Buraks end. I'd say it helps us point-wise almost as much as its going to hurt tOSU.

I now think Iowa has a good shot at 4 finalists next season in Gilman, Clark, Sorensen, and Burak. I also want to say Alex Meyer could be a surprise finalist, but I want to see how 174 shakes out early on in the season.. could have good guys moving up from 65 and coming down from 84 due to how much it cleared out at the top.

Burak is absolutely in the discussion for finalist. The only problem is this decision helps PSU as well. I had Snyder as a pretty heavy favorite to win a title next year, even with some of the losses he took at a Freshmen. As much as it pains me to say it, McIntosh now moves into the #1 spot for me. The good thing though it McIntosh tends to get upset in the early rounds at NCAA's. Fingers crossed.

Reactions: andegre
Burak is absolutely in the discussion for finalist. The only problem is this decision helps PSU as well. I had Snyder as a pretty heavy favorite to win a title next year, even with some of the losses he took at a Freshmen. As much as it pains me to say it, McIntosh now moves into the #1 spot for me. The good thing though it McIntosh tends to get upset in the early rounds at NCAA's. Fingers crossed.
I like Nathan Burak a lot as a wrestler, and he's improved every year he's been in the program. Seems like a great kid to boot. That said, I guess I don't consider him the Finalist "type". He's always been a bit too "stiff", and that eventually catches up to him. He's a grinder in every sense of the word, IMO. Those guys can and do make the Finals, but you have to have a lot go your way in the process. He'll be a tough out for most, and I guess with the attrition that has occurred, he has to be in the conversation. I would be pleasantly surprised if he ends up in the Finals. Hope that is the case, but color me skeptical (as per normal!).

I think Burak can make the finals but he has gotten beat soundly by McIntosh in the past. He could beat him ( anything is possible), but I still think a 2-5 finish is the spot he lands. Burak is a very quiet solid wrestler that has gotten a lot of wins for the Hawks. I like him a lot.

I had the same thoughts as sloe. You don't become a finalist simply because other people graduate. But, yes, the road has become easier for him, and if he continues his trajectory of improvement he has a shot. But he can't stagnate.

sloe I agree with all you said, but burak is hard to take down,his flexability is a strength.many times ive seen guys have his leg up and not complete the takedown.if he can get to where he can finish his own shots top 2 is not out of the question,but I agree 3-6 is probable.

The Olympic Gold Medal.

Yeah, I'm down with this. I want our best team representing the U.S. at the Olympics, and I think Snyder is or soon will be the man here. We then get the added bonus of it throwing a monkey wrench in Ohio State's lineup.

Best thing for him to do. Ohio State fans have to support it too. If he were to bring home a World or Olympic medal that helps them in recruiting big time. Willie Saylor brought up the idea, and I kind of agree with it, that Snyder might not even wrestle again for OSU. If he were to win a medal he wouldn't be able to accept the money that comes with it, nor would he be able to accept the stipend from USA wrestling. IF he were to medal there would also be endorsement deals waiting for him. I know a lot of things have to go the right way, but the way he's wrestling this isn't too far fetched. He'd be turning down a lot of money to go back to OSU.

With that said he's also mentioned wanting to be a 4x time NCAA champion....the chance at even winning 1 would be gone.

So we agree then. Snyder gets Gold, he's not coming back. Sounds settled
to me.

The good thing though it McIntosh tends to get upset in the early rounds at NCAA's. Fingers crossed.

I believe McIntosh has lost to the same wrestler from Duke (Hartmann?) the last two years. He runs into someone else as the 10 seed last year he could have been in the finals.

well it seems like we should give some credit to Coach Tom Ryan. He basically gave away his chance at another team title to do what is in the best interest of his wrestler. That is the way it should be.

Best thing for him to do. Ohio State fans have to support it too. If he were to bring home a World or Olympic medal that helps them in recruiting big time. Willie Saylor brought up the idea, and I kind of agree with it, that Snyder might not even wrestle again for OSU. If he were to win a medal he wouldn't be able to accept the money that comes with it, nor would he be able to accept the stipend from USA wrestling. IF he were to medal there would also be endorsement deals waiting for him. I know a lot of things have to go the right way, but the way he's wrestling this isn't too far fetched. He'd be turning down a lot of money to go back to OSU.

With that said he's also mentioned wanting to be a 4x time NCAA champion....the chance at even winning 1 would be gone.
Today Coach Ryan was on FRL and said that Snyder will be able to get stipend and collect any earning he deserves without losing eligibility. The plan is to redshirt and then go back to school and finish his eligibility.

Today Coach Ryan was on FRL and said that Snyder will be able to get stipend and collect any earning he deserves without losing eligibility. The plan is to redshirt and then go back to school and finish his eligibility.

Thanks. I hadn't heard that yet. I'll give it a listen

Snyder has Bergman and Dlagnev (and to a lesser degree Haines) as his workout partners and Columbus is a city with lots of resources for athletes. He isn't going anywhere.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT