ADVERTISEMENT

Take a few to read recruiting naysayers

Well I read the article. What a homer article. Did Barta write this bullshit. As far as Tom Lemming, he has lost all credibility with his dumb ass comments. He is supposed to be an analyst and he says stars don't matter. He should be fired on the grounds of being a total dumb ass. Stars don't matter ? What's Iowas record against OSU ? Something like 13 and 43. Please don't bring up dumb ass statements that stars don't matter.
One last thing. Alabama has led the nation in recruitng the last four years and were in top five the previous years. The last time alabama has been an underdog is 2009. Stars didn't help them much. Piercebacher was a 4star and is starting for the tide as a red shirt freshman.

I agree that Iowa does a good job of evaluating and developing. I also like the new Football Operations Center. That's very nice.

Lemming has a few good points, but he goes overboard. Stars are the most bogus thing ever? Rating recruiting classes has been going on for decades and it's an inexact science/art but hardly the most bogus thing ever. He talks about stars/offer lists don't matter and how it comes down to evaluation and developing. This is false.

You can evaluate and develop all you want, but you absolutely have to have the horses. You can win with 2 and 3 stars, even a conference championship every once in awhile with great coaching, but you will NEVER win on the national level without several big dogs mixed in. Period.

If you take a team and look at the national recruiting rank of all 5 classes (True frosh, RS frosh, Soph, Jr, Sr) and average it out, it must average at least a Top 20 national class to win anything big on the national level. The ONLY team this wasn't the case for was 2000 Oklahoma. And if you average it out, 2000 Oklahoma was just outside with an average national recruiting class at #26. You can go back to before Rivals and look at SuperPrep Magazine, which was the most popular recruiting service around in the 1980's and 90's. You can go clear back then and this has always been true. You don't need consistent Top 10 classes, but the 15-20 range will get you there. Anything outside of that, has only happened once in going on 40 years of recruiting services with data to back it up.

No offense, but I don't think Iowa has thoughts of being National Champs or competing in the Playoff anytime soon. So I think Lemming threw Iowa a bone. And he's right if you're talking about competing for a conference championship every great once in awhile. If you look at Iowa's current class, it is going to be bottom of the barrel in the Big Ten by the time Feb rolls around. ON PAPER. He's right that Iowa can evaluate and develop well. Ferentz is gonna have to work some serious magic to compete for any type of championship with the guys he's bringing in, but he's done it before and can do it again.

I don't understand the people that defend Iowa's recruiting so vehemently. What is it that they think Iowa knows that all the other power 5 conference schools don't?
As far as the "diamond in the rough" thing goes people like to bring up Dallas Clark and Bob Sanders as examples or even Chad Greenway but that's been 9 or 10 years ago. Who are the most recent "diamonds in the rough" guys that have made huge impacts on the field?

Dallas Clark and Bob Sanders were 17/18 years ago. Chad Greenway was 15 years ago. Like I have said many times, there were many more "diamonds in the rough" 10-15 years ago when every high school player didn't have a recruiting video on Hudl. Video access has changed recruiting more than anything.

The issue that Iowa fans have with this class is that it seems as though all of the current recruits are players that need to be developed. Iowa's coaching staff is banking on several of them developing these players into above average Division 1 players. They have a proven track record of doing this with a few of them but not this many. There has been hype about the number of recruits and how many have committed lately but that means nothing in the world of development. Kirk is gambling and he better hope it pays off or the fan base will be even more ready for a change.

The issue that Iowa fans have with this class is that it seems as though all of the current recruits are players that need to be developed. Iowa's coaching staff is banking on several of them developing these players into above average Division 1 players. They have a proven track record of doing this with a few of them but not this many. There has been hype about the number of recruits and how many have committed lately but that means nothing in the world of development. Kirk is gambling and he better hope it pays off or the fan base will be even more ready for a change.
How many high school players are out there that don't need development? Even 4 stars need development

How many high school players are out there that don't need development? Even 4 stars need development

Problem with development is when you miss, you don't find out for a couple of years down the road. At that point you have a weak area on your team. If you could develop 80-90% of players, this would work. Example: Iowa recruited 8-9 WR's in 2 classes trying to find some speed. This takes away from getting players for other areas future needs. Talent matters in the long run because you are going miss on 40-60% of your reaches...in my opinion.

I'll take a team with 4 and 5 star guys every time over a team with 2 star and unrated guys...

The law of averages will win out in the end.

Reactions: PAULA_C
Lemming knows 50 times more about recruiting than all these armchair experts combined.
The key at Iowa is as Wallace said....getting the right ''fit'' ....good athletes can be made into good players if they stick with the program. Find guys who will stick it out and we will be in the hunt.

As for competing for national honors...the 2002 and 2009 teams could easily have made the playoffs with a good bounce here and there....with typical Iowa recruits.

You are correct. They all need development. However, Iowa is taking far too many that need a whole lot of development which makes their job much more difficult and is a game of chance. This has not bode well for them the past couple of years.

Lemming knows 50 times more about recruiting than all these armchair experts combined.
The key at Iowa is as Wallace said....getting the right ''fit'' ....good athletes can be made into good players if they stick with the program. Find guys who will stick it out and we will be in the hunt.

As for competing for national honors...the 2002 and 2009 teams could easily have made the playoffs with a good bounce here and there....with typical Iowa recruits.

The 2002 team had a better shot than the 2009 team in my opinion. Also the current POTUS, knows more about world events than I do however I can say I disagree with some of his decisions, no?

As far as the "diamond in the rough" thing goes people like to bring up Dallas Clark and Bob Sanders as examples or even Chad Greenway but that's been 9 or 10 years ago. Who are the most recent "diamonds in the rough" guys that have made huge impacts on the field?
2 Stars:
Micah Hyde
Brett Van Sloten
Mike Daniels
Adam Gettis
Karl Klug
Amari Spievey
Anthony Hitchens

I was just answering the question.

That's fine, however star ratings are for fans to keep track of. Coaches observe and offer, I believe the star rating is a good barometer. However I look at who offers much more close. This is why I've been skeptical of our recruiting.

All recruits need to be 'developed', so I don't understand your point. Your opening line seems to indicate that you don't think any of these kids can develop. They have a track record of only doing this with a 'few' of them? I and others have shown time and time again that if a kid stays in the program and stays healthy for the whole 4-5 years they almost ALWAYS develop into quality players and have a very good chance of getting at least a look from the NFL. Fact!
That's fine, however star ratings are for fans to keep track of. Coaches observe and offer, I believe the star rating is a good barometer. However I look at who offers much more close. This is why I've been skeptical of our recruiting.

You don't have anything better to do than 'look at who offers much more close':) And after carefully studying that important information it changes things how? Your skepticism is important to whom? No offense, swag, but I'll put my trust in the coaches and the Lemmings of the world.

Swag, I thought Lemmings stated that some power 5 coaches offer kids just because they have offers, and some don't offer after kid has solid verbals. Does that reduce the importance of offers?

Swag, I thought Lemmings stated that some power 5 coaches offer kids just because they have offers, and some don't offer after kid has solid verbals. Does that reduce the importance of offers?

Personally, I do think some coaches offer based on other schools who have offered. As to the solid verbal, I actually believe it depends on which school the kid has verbally committed to. For instance Ross P. was an Iowa fan and committed to the home state school. Alabama doesn't care because of where Iowa is at in the national scene. Ross ended up switching, I guess people will say our OL recruits from last year were all firm with Iowa but they didn't have any other large offers.

Kirk is good at developing 2 stars, just think what he would be capable of doing with a roster full of studs

Kirk is good at developing 2 stars, just think what he would be capable of doing with a roster full of studs

dawgs, you hit the nail on the head. If your hell bent on developing, why not start with more talented kids?

So, the right fit. What does that mean? Talent be damned, or only high level, or.....! This isn't the right approach. The staff should be looking at highly talented players with good character that buy into the program. Anything else belongs at a lower tier program.

Last edited:

The senior class of the 2009 team was the highest rated class in Iowa history, featuring 7 high school All-Americans, and was rated in the Top 10 nationally by every major recruiting service.

It was as far from a "typical" Iowa recruiting class that you could possibly get.

It has to start with winning to get better recruits. To all those bent out of shape with recruiting, show me where Iowa has been in the top 20 or even 25 consistently in recruiting. If Iowa wants better recruits they need to win more, have better facilities (got them now) and have a stable coaching staff (maybe have that now). It's a vicious circle. It's hard to win without top notch recruiting and it's hard to get top notch recruiting without winning when done the right way, which you all need to give up and that Iowa for the most part does it the right way. I know some only care about winning, but I'd rather Iowa not risk probation, scholarship losses, and post season bans just for a national championship. In my opinion the factor working against Iowa is the offensive game plan and in game coaching.

^^^ He's right, we need to win, get noticed. After that we can get back to descent classes.

I don't understand the people that defend Iowa's recruiting so vehemently. What is it that they think Iowa knows that all the other power 5 conference schools don't?
** Jordan Lynch
School Interest Offer Visit Recruited by
Northern Illinois
COMMITTED (06/17/2008) Offered None Jeff Phelps
Colorado None None Brian Cabral
East. Michigan None None Robert Lee
Iowa None None Lester Erb
Kansas St. None None Tim Tibesar
Northwestern None None Jerry Brown
Purdue None None Mark Hagen

5 Oakland Raiders Khalil Mack OLB Buffalo
30 San Francisco 49ers Jimmie Ward SS Northern Illinois

So show us your list of who you have signed.

I would if I was a football coach, however I don't need to be to see the talent our coaches have put on the field is lacking.

I also don't need to be a doctor to tell when a woman is 9 months pregnant.

I would if I was a football coach, however I don't need to be to see the talent our coaches have put on the field is lacking.

Hahaha...come on now. You have to be rocket scientist to see the lack of ability we are putting on the field! The record doesn't lie, the SOS is something you cannot sugar coat either! ;)

I also don't need to be a doctor to tell when a woman is 9 months pregnant.[/QUOTE]
Swag you'd be surprised how difficult that can be, sometimes, even for a doc. Easy call with a 5'6" 120lb woman, not so easy with a 5'1", 250lb woman.

Swag you'd be surprised how difficult that can be, sometimes, even for a doc. Easy call with a 5'6" 120lb woman, not so easy with a 5'1", 250lb woman.[/QUOTE]

Good point, that would be tough!

defections hurt Iowa that and injuries. as Hayden once said his starters could and did compete with any team in the country, but let a couple key injuries occur and that no longer can be applied. the last few year the injuries and defections killed Iowa,

the last 3 classes Ia has been rebuilding what made KF's teams in the beginning. the 2013 class 3 played as true FR and 13 more played as RSFR, the 2014 class saw 3 true FR play, this year these from the 2013 class will see their 1st action, ATH Mitchell at RB, ATH Harris at WR,

when I look at this class I see players capable of playing multiple positions which makers it hard to give them a solid ranking, Wade can play RB/LB or S in my opinion will probably end up at WLB, Lattimore can play TE "which he does for his HS team" OL. NG in a 3-4, DT in a 4-3 or DE, how do you give a player like that a star rating,

it is for this reason forget about their star rankings and look at what they bring to this team, Allen if he were to commit can play S/CB/RB/WR. so have

ADVERTISEMENT