ADVERTISEMENT

Team Iowa Junior National Dual team

I didn't ask, but I am assuming we do one Greco and two freestyle like the Cadets did.

Greco:

Weight Class Name Grade
100 Kesterson, Grayson 9
106 Gottschaulk, Dillon 9
106 Fox, Gable 9
113 Baker, Brenden 11
120 Tacchia, Dante 10
126 Rathbun, Brock 11
126 Hellickson, Nolan 12
132 Glynn, Paul 12
132 Witthuhn, Parker 12
138 Gallahger, Jackson 11
138 Madsen, Nic 12
145 Meyer, Aaron 12
145 Shaw, Keegan 12
152 Clingenpeel, Colton 11
152 Erickson, Cole 12
160 Malcom, Matt 11
160 Johnson, Tristan 11
170 Armani, Salvator 11
170 Hillman, Dale 12
182 Clayborne, Deion 11
195 Wilke, Cash 12
195 Doyle, Donovan 11
220 Andersen, Ethan 11
285 Isley, Carter 11

Hopefully some of these guys will wrestle free - would really make a stacked team - understand they could have other obligations:

Happel
Thomsen
Stroker
Steiert
Holloway
Holschlag
Patton
Parmley
Hansen
Gremmel
Racer

Hopefully some of these guys will wrestle free - would really make a stacked team - understand they could have other obligations:

Happel
Thomsen
Stroker
Steiert
Holloway
Holschlag
Patton
Parmley
Hansen
Gremmel
Racer

Happel was listed on the roster I posted. He is in Oklahoma and will be wrestling free. Gremmel and I assume some of these other guys will be on the Disney Duals team which is in Florida the next week. I just haven't seen the roster of Disney Dual team yet.

Stroker is out at the OTC.

Josh Lowe wrote a little preview on Intermat. http://intermatwrestle.com/articles/14567

It looks like there will be roughly a half dozen super-solid teams.
1.)Illinois-They have been the team to beat at this event for some time and look to be again.
2.)Oklahoma-2nd in Greco and 1st in Freestyle last year. Look just as good this year.
3.)Michigan-1st in Greco and 3rd in Free last year. Not quite as loaded from top to bottom but still solid
4.)New Jersey-DNP in Greco and 4th in Free last year. Look loaded this year. Could win Free.
5.)Minnesota-4th in Greco and 2nd in Free last year. Look for similar results this year.
6.)Iowa-8th in Greco and 6th in Free. Expect them to place again in both. But, they will have their hands full finishing higher than last season.

Illinois so far:

Schoolboy
GR-4th
FS-1st

Cadet
GR/FR-1st

Juniors - probably the favorites

Yeah, they are pretty good.

Josh Lowe wrote a little preview on Intermat. http://intermatwrestle.com/articles/14567

It looks like there will be roughly a half dozen super-solid teams.
1.)Illinois-They have been the team to beat at this event for some time and look to be again.
2.)Oklahoma-2nd in Greco and 1st in Freestyle last year. Look just as good this year.
3.)Michigan-1st in Greco and 3rd in Free last year. Not quite as loaded from top to bottom but still solid
4.)New Jersey-DNP in Greco and 4th in Free last year. Look loaded this year. Could win Free.
5.)Minnesota-4th in Greco and 2nd in Free last year. Look for similar results this year.
6.)Iowa-8th in Greco and 6th in Free. Expect them to place again in both. But, they will have their hands full finishing higher than last season.
I'd be surprised if New Jersey and Minnesota didn't finish ahead of Michigan.

1stplacehawk,

In which style? I put Michigan in 3rd for their whole body of work. I think Jersey is very capable of winning it all in Freestyle, but I think Michigan places ahead of them in Greco. Minnesota is very deep, but I would also be surprised if they finish ahead of Michigan in both styles.

1stplacehawk,

In which style? I put Michigan in 3rd for their whole body of work. I think Jersey is very capable of winning it all in Freestyle, but I think Michigan places ahead of them in Greco. Minnesota is very deep, but I would also be surprised if they finish ahead of Michigan in both styles.
I was referring to freestyle. I'm extremely out of touch with Greco. In freestyle I think Michigan lacks the star power that some of the other teams have. Minnesota may have a few holes but Cameron Sykora, Mitchell McKee, Brady Berge, Paden Moore, Owen Webster, Keegan Moore and Gable Steveson alone are going to put them in the top 3 or 4 in freestyle.

Iowa looking solid so far. They could win the pool vs CA (close dual) in greco but will struggle in the Championship pool. Look for a 7 or 8th place finish.

In FS they will need a gift bracket to make the championship pool with all those big guns out. IA could be top 4-5 with all guns available but so would 10 other states if they could bring all their best any given year. IL has talent but them consistently getting their best guys on those fs/gr dual teams is why they are always in the title hunt. I will give a more detailed opinion after brackets are set for FS.

Wow. Michigan did not match up well with Minnesota. 106 and 170 are the only weights without a top3 state placer and both(of course) were teched. Freeman is legit(nationally ranked) and McKee teched him. Whitman, LaJoie and Simon are all monsters and lost. The funny thing is Hilger beat Steveson.

Wow. Michigan did not match up well with Minnesota. 106 and 170 are the only weights without a top3 state placer and both(of course) were teched. Freeman is legit(nationally ranked) and McKee teched him. Whitman, LaJoie and Simon are all monsters and lost. The funny thing is Hilger beat Steveson.
Its greco. Some of the best folkstyle guys in the country look below average against less heralded kids in greco. See it every year at the duals and Fargo.

PapaBearSLIM,

I hear ya, but it doesn't fully fit here. Freeman, Whitman and Lajoie have had some solid national success in Greco......

PapaBearSLIM,

I hear ya, but it doesn't fully fit here. Freeman, Whitman and Lajoie have had some solid national success in Greco......
Yea it applies more for the other weights that MI had a stud go down. For the 3 you point out they just wrestled MN kids that have had as much or more national success in greco and the MN kids are just better.

Let me state the obvious but the Kamal Bey kid from OPRF is amazing to watch (in Greco especially). He's 5 pointing kids left and right. I saw him twice today (one is on FLO) and he was done in less than a minute each time. The kid is so explosive and quick.

Let me state the obvious but the Kamal Bey kid from OPRF is amazing to watch (in Greco especially). He's 5 pointing kids left and right. I saw him twice today (one is on FLO) and he was done in less than a minute each time. The kid is so explosive and quick.
I have no doubt he would have made the world team in both styles had he attended the cadet team trials and stood a good chance at the junior greco team. He is the best athlete I've seen on a high school wrestling mat and Coach Powell has said numerous times he's the best athlete he's ever coached.

Reactions: Huck
I have no doubt he would have made the world team in both styles had he attended the cadet team trials and stood a good chance at the junior greco team. He is the best athlete I've seen on a high school wrestling mat and Coach Powell has said numerous times he's the best athlete he's ever coached.
He still planning on playing football in college?

Until you watch Kamal Bey in person, you can't really comprehend the athleticism he has. It is worth the price of admission to watch him wrestle. I agree. I have never watched a more athletic wrestler.

Oklahoma takes it, beating IL in the finals. Isaiah White lost to Joe Smith at 160#.

Iowa took a respectable 5th (55-12 over Mich).

I know there's been talk of Iowa's future lineup, with some penciling in Happel and Wilke as future starters. I don't follow the HS scene that closely, and I know Happel has had success in Iowa's state HS tourney and national Cadets. That said, Happel lost twice by TF (NJ and Okla), and Wilke suffered 2 losses, one by TF (NJ) and a close one to Keegan Moore (MN), 2-1.

Oklahoma takes it, beating IL in the finals. Isaiah White lost to Joe Smith at 160#.

Iowa took a respectable 5th (55-12 over Mich).

I know there's been talk of Iowa's future lineup, with some penciling in Happel and Wilke as future starters. I don't follow the HS scene that closely, and I know Happel has had success in Iowa's state HS tourney and national Cadets. That said, Happel lost twice by TF (NJ and Okla), and Wilke suffered 2 losses, one by TF (NJ) and a close one to Keegan Moore (MN), 2-1.
It's Freestyle. Nothing that happens in a Freestyle match, good or bad, matters when talking College Folkstyle potential and/or future results.

I'd go so far as to say Freestyle results are about as important as who the better pinp-pong player is as it relates to College Folkstyle Wrestling.

It's Freestyle. Nothing that happens in a Freestyle match, good or bad, matters when talking College Folkstyle potential and/or future results.

I'd go so far as to say Freestyle results are about as important as who the better pinp-pong player is as it relates to College Folkstyle Wrestling.

Wait....what? While it won't give you any comparison for mat wrestling, freestyle does give a great look at guys on their feet.

Tomosello-3X Fargo Champ, FILA Champ
Brewer-Third at Fargo, think he won some Greco
Striebler-Multiple Freestyle Champ
Houdashelt-Third
Martinez-Freestyle Champ
Dierenger-Multiple freestyle champ, multiple Jr World team Member
Brown-No info
Dean-3rd at FILA
Gadson-Cadet National Champ
Gwiz-Qualified for World Team Trials, finished third his freshman redshirt year. Third at Fargo

These are just quick stats. Could be more out there.

Wait....what? While it won't give you any comparison for mat wrestling, freestyle does give a great look at guys on their feet.

Houdashelt-Third
Martinez-Freestyle Champ
Brown-No info
Dean-3rd at FILA
Gwiz-Qualified for World Team Trials, finished third his freshman redshirt year. Third at Fargo

Yeah but your analysis isn't complete until you tell us about their ping pong skills.

Just sloe being sloe. Nothing more to see here than that.

Houdashelt-Third
Martinez-Freestyle Champ
Brown-No info
Dean-3rd at FILA

Yes, It gives you a great look at guys on their feet, within Freestyle rules. The difference between your approach from a Freestyle perspective and Folkstyle perspective from your feet offensively or defensively can be described in one word - EXPOSURE. THAT, is a game changer.

Go ahead and list all of Iowa's former Fargo Champs and All-Americans, then list their College accomplishments (I'll save you and I both the trouble and tell you it's a very mixed bag - which apparently to some should be a shocking revelation - it isn't). I'll give you a little snapshot however:

Martinez-Freestyle Champ
Nick Moore-Freestyle Champ

Jacob Ballweg-Junior National Champ

These are just quick stats. There ARE more out there.:D

The very best wrestlers will win the MAJORITY of the time in any Style they wrestle. Its been that way since the beginning of time. If you invent new ways to wrestle, they'll beat you in that Style too.

Freestyle and Folkstyle are 2 different sports, always have been and I presume always will be. The competitors know that. The Fans need to as well (that goes to everyone, but especially the fringe and/or new fans that freak out every time they see a tech-fall in Freestyle of one of our guys - relax, it doesn't matter on how they'll perform as Hawkeyes under Folkstyle rules).

Reactions: minnhawkeye
The very best wrestlers will win the MAJORITY of the time in any Style they wrestle. Its been that way since the beginning of time. If you invent new ways to wrestle, they'll beat you in that Style too.

So you're saying that somebody who is real good in freestyle, is likely going to be good in Folkstyle. What happened to the ping pong game?

Reactions: el dub and SPOONER
not sure what point is being made here. it is an out of season free and Greco tourneys, some of these guys wrestled 10 or 12 matches. what I got out of it was entertainment.

I liked seeing M* out there coaching Meyer, Ericksen, Glynn, Wilcke, Shaw, and 2016 possible recruits Rathbun, Happal, Gremmel, and Islay who have already said they are considering Iowa! Go Hawks!

Reactions: Huck
I don't think I completely disagree with sloe's overall point but how he arrives there...yikes.

I liked seeing M* out there coaching Meyer, Ericksen, Glynn, Wilcke, Shaw, and 2016 possible recruits Rathbun, Happal, Gremmel, and Islay who have already said they are considering Iowa! Go Hawks!
Good post. Very cool to see Ryan in the corner.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT