ADVERTISEMENT

Team Iowa off to a good start at Disney Duals

Still undefeated....

Match #5 Round 5: 9. Team Iowa Black defeated 13. Ohio The Room 68-0106 - Michael Millage (9. Team Iowa Black) over Ronnie Pietro (13. Ohio The Room) SV-1 3-1113 - Jack Wagner (9. Team Iowa Black) over Chad Craft (13. Ohio The Room) Dec 9-3120 - Jacob Schwarm (9. Team Iowa Black) over Chase Craft (13. Ohio The Room) TF 16-0126 - Grant Stotts (9. Team Iowa Black) over Kobe Scott (13. Ohio The Room) TF 16-0132 - Brice Everson (9. Team Iowa Black) over Josh Clary (13. Ohio The Room) Dec 9-5138 - Josh Wenger (9. Team Iowa Black) over Brendan Fitzgerald (13. Ohio The Room) Fall 1:20145 - Max Thomsen (9. Team Iowa Black) over Jakob Ottaway (13. Ohio The Room) Fall 0:27152 - Josh Davis (9. Team Iowa Black) over Hunter Bryant (13. Ohio The Room) Fall 1:07160 - Dayton Racer (9. Team Iowa Black) over Jansen Love (13. Ohio The Room) TF 23-8170 - Jacob Holschlag (9. Team Iowa Black) over George Hall (13. Ohio The Room) Fall 0:50182 - Joe Teague (9. Team Iowa Black) over Mason McCane (13. Ohio The Room) TF 15-0195 - Steven Holloway (9. Team Iowa Black) over Tytus Collins (13. Ohio The Room) Fall 0:39220 - Gabriel Rangel (9. Team Iowa Black) over Andrew Zimmer (13. Ohio The Room) Fall 3:53285 - Gannon Gremmell (9. Team Iowa Black) over Jonathan Floyd (13. Ohio The Room) Dec 10-4

Match#6 Round 6: 9. Team Iowa Black defeated 16. VA Phenomenon 77-0106 - Michael Millage (9. Team Iowa Black) over Brandon Morales (16. VA Phenomenon) Fall 0:41113 - Jack Wagner (9. Team Iowa Black) over Anthony New (16. VA Phenomenon) Fall 1:51120 - Jacob Schwarm (9. Team Iowa Black) over Samson Sausser (16. VA Phenomenon) TF 17-0126 - Grant Stotts (9. Team Iowa Black) over Stryder Jackson (16. VA Phenomenon) Dec 7-1132 - Brice Everson (9. Team Iowa Black) over Jacob Curling (16. VA Phenomenon) Dec 7-3138 - Josh Wenger (9. Team Iowa Black) over Gabe Crawford (16. VA Phenomenon) Fall 3:01145 - Max Thomsen (9. Team Iowa Black) over John Swartz (16. VA Phenomenon) Fall 2:40152 - Josh Davis (9. Team Iowa Black) over Unknown (Unattached) Forf 160 - Dayton Racer (9. Team Iowa Black) over Kade Sanders (16. VA Phenomenon) Fall 2:20170 - Jacob Holschlag (9. Team Iowa Black) over Conner Hughes (16. VA Phenomenon) Fall 3:07182 - Joe Teague (9. Team Iowa Black) over Wes Sorey (16. VA Phenomenon) Fall 1:02195 - Steven Holloway (9. Team Iowa Black) over Tre`Shoun Rogers (16. VA Phenomenon) Fall 1:18220 - Gabriel Rangel (9. Team Iowa Black) over Unknown (Unattached) Forf 285 - Gannon Gremmell (9. Team Iowa Black) over Ty-Kee McCullers (16. VA Phenomenon) Fall 5:27

Match #7 Round 7: 9. Team Iowa Black defeated 11. Illinois Outsiders 41-10106 - Sean Mckenna (11. Illinois Outsiders) over Michael Millage (9. Team Iowa Black) Dec 7-1113 - Jack Wagner (9. Team Iowa Black) over Unknown (Unattached) Forf 120 - Jacob Schwarm (9. Team Iowa Black) over Tony Madrighl (11. Illinois Outsiders) Inj 4:30126 - Alex Madrighl (11. Illinois Outsiders) over Grant Stotts (9. Team Iowa Black) Maj 9-1132 - Dylan Thurston (11. Illinois Outsiders) over Brice Everson (9. Team Iowa Black) Dec 5-4138 - Josh Wenger (9. Team Iowa Black) over Jake Barzowski (11. Illinois Outsiders) Dec 6-0145 - Max Thomsen (9. Team Iowa Black) over Nick Foster (11. Illinois Outsiders) Dec 4-1152 - Josh Davis (9. Team Iowa Black) over Devin Donovan (11. Illinois Outsiders) Dec 6-4160 - Dayton Racer (9. Team Iowa Black) over Trace Carello (11. Illinois Outsiders) Dec 4-2170 - Jacob Holschlag (9. Team Iowa Black) over Kyle Betourne (11. Illinois Outsiders) Dec 1-0182 - Joe Teague (9. Team Iowa Black) over Carson Oughton (11. Illinois Outsiders) Dec 6-0195 - Steven Holloway (9. Team Iowa Black) over Jordan Saahrikian (11. Illinois Outsiders) Maj 10-2220 - Gabriel Rangel (9. Team Iowa Black) over Diata Drayton (11. Illinois Outsiders) Dec 7-4285 - Gannon Gremmell (9. Team Iowa Black) over Zach Muller (11. Illinois Outsiders) Maj 15-5

Reactions: dirt33
Do the Iowa kids take this more seriously. Seems like there are a lot of studs on this team that should have been representing us in last week's freco duals.

Maybe a lot of these kids are more focused on folkstyle. That would be my guess on why there are more top kids wrestling there.

A few of them were on last year's team that had Iowa's best finish ever at the event and are good friends. They'll be wrestling folkstyle in college so maybe they want to stick with that for now. And too be honest they don't owe us anything that says they should represent Iowa in Tulsa. There are enough good wrestlers in Iowa to have teams at both.

Iowa now 8-0 and in the semis vs Middle Atlantic tomorrow at 10 am. Holloway is 8-0, with 5 pins, 2 major decisions and a close 6-5 win today. He will wrestle Intermat #4 Wisconsin signee Hunter Ritter tomorrow in the semis if nobody bumps. Possibly 4 Top 20 matchups in this dual.

Who else is ranked for Middle Atlantic?
113 - #20 Austin DeSanto vs #12 Jack Wagner, although Middle Atlantic has two at 113. But Schwarm is #18 @ 120.
160 - #12 Cole Walter (Lehigh) vs #6 Dayton Racer (Va Tech)
#5 (@ HWT, VaTech) Andrew Dunn who is wrestling 220 vs #11 (@ 220) Gannon Gremmel, who is wrestling HWT.
Iowa also has Thomsen, Holschlag and Holloway.

The other 2 semi-finalist have the following:

Ohio Grapplers:
106 - #4 Cole Mattin

Young Guns Black:
132 - #6 George Phillippi
138 - #7 Cam Coy
152 - #1 (@145) Michael Kemerer
160 - #15 (@ 152) Kaleb Young

Holloway with the fall over #4 Ritter in 5:04. Holloway was up 4-2 before the sequence.

Iowa brought one hell of a team. Middle Atlantic Blue is stacked. Just like Junior Nationals the top 6 teams or so are way above the rest. Florida's team is loaded. Young guns Black is crazy good. Both Ohio teams are super talented(and they stole 2 of Michigan's biggest guns: Skatzka and Whitman). A top 6 showing is damn impressive and if they can beat one of the Ohio teams that would really be something.

Seems like the Skatzka pin over Racer was a pretty big swing match. Anybody know how that match was going for Racer prior to the pin?

Seems like the Skatzka pin over Racer was a pretty big swing match. Anybody know how that match was going for Racer prior to the pin?
no score, at least nothing posted on track wrestling. It was in he first minute of the match.

Holloway continued his dominance with another fall.

Holloway beat Kollin Moore 3-1. Moore is #6 @182 and an Ohio St. Signee.

I did a little research on Skatzka because I never heard of him. He was a four time Michigan State Champion and will be wrestling at Indiana in the fall. Definitely a worse loss for Racer than for Young.

Also, this was not the first time he's beaten Racer. They wrestled in the FloNationals in 2014 and Skatzka spanked him then too. He was up 4-1 when he pinned Racer in about a minute or so. The fact that Young only lost 4-2 is pretty encouraging as Spatzka looks extremely tough. He took Racer down like it was nothing, pretty much right off the whistle. Then after Racer escapes, you can tell he's(Racer) is pissed at getting ridden a bit by Spatzka and he(Racer) hits what looks to be a beautiful inside trip for two, but Spatzka somehow counters it and throws Racer to his back and sticks him. I fancy myself as quite the wrestling nerd and somehow this kid was a mystery to me. I look forward to Marinelli handling him in the future:D

Last edited:
Also, this was not the first time he's beaten Racer. They wrestled in the FloNationals in 2014 and Skatzka spanked him then too. He was up 4-1 when he pinned Racer in about a minute or so. The fact that Young only lost 4-2 is pretty encouraging as Spatzka looks extremely tough. He took Racer down like it was nothing, pretty much right off the whistle. Then after Racer escapes, you can tell he's(Racer) is pissed at getting ridden a bit by Spatzka and he(Racer) hits what looks to be a beautiful inside trip for two, but Spatzka somehow counters it and throws Racer to his back and sticks him. I fancy myself as quite the wrestling nerd and somehow this kid was a mystery to me. I look forward to Marinelli handling him in the future:D
Anybody know where Joe Teague is going to wrestle at college? Go Hawks!!!

Joe really is enjoying Iowa State this summer. This was his 1st time ever wrestling in an event like this. He just finished track season for Algona and was on a couple events at State. Went down to Iowa State around the 1st of June and started wrestling again.

Joe really is enjoying Iowa State this summer. This was his 1st time ever wrestling in an event like this. He just finished track season for Algona and was on a couple events at State. Went down to Iowa State around the 1st of June and started wrestling again.
Thanks for the info. I figured ISU all along. I think he will surprise some folks as his career develops. Go Hawks!!!

He was looking at Wartburg pretty hard and visited Iowa State late. Reader was talking to him, but he wanted to stay in state. At least that is what I was told. He is a hard working kid and I think he could develop into a quality D1 wrestler. If he doesn't, it won't be because of his work ethic.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT