ADVERTISEMENT

Telling Quote From Ferentz

Auger

HR All-American
Sep 14, 2007
"A lot of our 2s right now are 3s, quite frankly, on both sides of the ball." That right there says a lot about our recruiting. I think Iowa matches up well with a lot of the top teams in the B1G outside of Ohio St but Iowa lacks the depth to hang with a lot of these teams for 4 quarters and during a long B1G season. The extra WR's have killed the depth at a few positions that were sacrificed in hopes of upgrading the WR position. I also think some of our 1's are actually 2's but its still a long ways before the season kicks off. Last season we were clearly playing with a lot of 2's as starters as well as many 2's that were better off as 3's.

Has KF ever come out and said anything remotely close to "we are B1G ready" - no he has and always will downplay the status.

I would be willing to bet that KF would say this most years in April no matter the talent level of the 2s. I think you're looking way too far into the comment. They are halfway through spring ball and need to replace 1 or 2 potential first round picks and a handful of guys that could make a 53 man roster in the NFL. There won't be many, if any, 3s on the depth chart come the end of August.

Originally posted by hawkiniowacity:
If we were playing with 2s as starters last year, what on earth were the teams we beat playing with?
Posted from Rivals Mobile
Well... this is speaking from the majority of their players talent.. not the few diamond in roughs the teams got..

UNI ...leftovers that didn't get any offers from FBS schools
Ball St. ... no disrespect to the players, but the leftovers from the power conferences.
Pitt. ... about the same skill level as iowa
Purdue ... perennial bottom feeders of the big ten players leftover players
Indiana ... again bottom feeders
Northwestern ... again bottom feeders
Illinois ... more bottom feeders

Recruit Iowa for lineman and the one good skilled player that comes out every so often. But Iowa should stop wasting scholarships on kids that wouldn't be preferred walk-ons at other programs. The statement by KF above is just truth we should have targeted more JUCO players last year to fill gaps at positions.. But I'm just a disgruntled fan now so what do I know?

Kirk must be the best in-game coach ever, if his starting 2s and backup 3s can hang with Wisconsin and Nebraska.

Originally posted by ptownhawk89:

Originally posted by hawkiniowacity:
If we were playing with 2s as starters last year, what on earth were the teams we beat playing with?

Posted from Rivals Mobile
Well... this is speaking from the majority of their players talent.. not the few diamond in roughs the teams got..

UNI ...leftovers that didn't get any offers from FBS schools
Ball St. ... no disrespect to the players, but the leftovers from the power conferences.
Pitt. ... about the same skill level as iowa
Purdue ... perennial bottom feeders of the big ten players leftover players
Indiana ... again bottom feeders
Northwestern ... again bottom feeders
Illinois ... more bottom feeders

Recruit Iowa for lineman and the one good skilled player that comes out every so often. But Iowa should stop wasting scholarships on kids that wouldn't be preferred walk-ons at other programs. The statement by KF above is just truth we should have targeted more JUCO players last year to fill gaps at positions.. But I'm just a disgruntled fan now so what do I know?
This is more in depth than I was going to go.

I was just going to say players that didn't allow for any said teams to have a winning record, or FCS players.

Even knowing we didn't beat any respectable teams last year, that list of teams we beat is sad, very sad.

Call me crazy but I think our recievers were better 4 or 5 years ago than they are now, our recievers now are just gd type recievers. Not sure where you were going there kf.

Originally posted by HAWK-N-402 (4):
Call me crazy but I think our recievers were better 4 or 5 years ago than they are now, our recievers now are just gd type recievers. Not sure where you were going there kf.
I think you're a wee bit crazy. I see very few receivers that have the talent of DJK, McNutt, Davis, Brodell, even Stross o Sandeman really. Time will tell though, but I think our WR's aren't as impressive as they were at that point in time. Smith is the obvious number 1, but I saw him get shut down by King during the 7 on 7 drills more than once. Not a huge deal as King shut everyone down, but still.

Hillyer looked bigger than last year and had great enthusiasm, but I don't see him breaking out. Harris looked the part at times, but was inconsistent.

The TE's are just as good though. I think the overall stability at RB is encouraging as well. I hope it stays that way.
This post was edited on 4/13 1:55 PM by Aegon_Targaryen

Originally posted by Aegon_Targaryen:
I think you're a wee bit crazy. I see very few receivers that have the talent of DJK, McNutt, Davis, Brodell, even Stross o Sandeman really. Time will tell though, but I think our WR's aren't as impressive as they were at that point in time. Smith is the obvious number 1, but I saw him get shut down by King during the 7 on 7 drills more than once. Not a huge deal as King shut everyone down, but still.

Hillyer looked bigger than last year and had great enthusiasm, but I don't see him breaking out. Harris looked the part at times, but was inconsistent.

The TE's are just as good though. I think the overall stability at RB is encouraging as well. I hope it stays that way.
This post was edited on 4/13 1:55 PM by Aegon_Targaryen
Aegon, I think he is saying the same thing as you. Our receivers are not as good now as they were a few years back.

I happen to agree, at least based on what I saw last year and so far this year. They may or may not be faster now, but if you can't/don't get open and then make catches, speed is only worth so much.

Ferentz is always such a "blah" type guy when it comes to Iowa football. Just like last year when BTN had coaches use one word to describe their team and he throws "developmental" out there compared to what the rest of the coaches said. He could have at least said "potential" or something like that.

You do realize that you didn't beat a team with a winning record last year? Division 1 teams that is.

This post was edited on 4/13 4:35 PM by redcy

Originally posted by redcy:
You do realize that you didn't beat a team with a winning record last year? Division 1 teams that is.

This post was edited on 4/13 4:35 PM by redcy
Yeah. Pretty pitiful considering the schedule.

Our 2nd best WR last year barely played, and is now enrolled in Texas Juco. Wasted talent there... Now, our 2nd starting WR cant catch a ball in a spring scrimmage. And KF will stick with him, for whatever reason, through the season unless he gets injured... Poor Rudock. Now poor CJB.

Originally posted by Vroom_C14:
Has KF ever come out and said anything remotely close to "we are B1G ready" - no he has and always will downplay the status.
Exactly. Way to give your players the confidence to overachieve. Lol. Not going to coach the "Hoosiers" anytime soon. Lol

Kirk always says we're not ready in the Spring... he always says it again during media day at fall camp.

Originally posted by ping72:
Kirk always says we're not ready in the Spring... he always says it again during media day at fall camp.
...and would anyone ever believe him if he said that we could go out right now and win a big football game? These guys have only started practicing together as a unit. There's a reason that there is Spring practice, and it's not to prepare these guys to play football games in May and June.

Originally posted by ping72:
And then we struggle against the mid-major-directional schools and drop the inevitable Ferentz September Turd

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT