ADVERTISEMENT

The Current state of College Basketball: "It’s a f#%king disaster."

I sincerely hope there is some recourse with instituting a "salary cap" type of scenario per program, if not per school.

The kids have to report their income, so there will be official records on how much each program/school is allocating in total. Right?

It's beyond ridiculous to allow a few schools to spend $20M for their football program, while other schools have less than half that available. That has to be addressed.

The courts may give the NCAA the power to at least negotiate this part of NIL.

If they don't, and simply say, "Nope. Kids should make as much as they want without any restrictions." ...then as I've stated before, CFB as we know it and love it will die.

Free market was never intended to be applied to college sports to this degree. I fully support players making $$, but when some schools have virtually unlimited funds while their competition are severely hamstrung, it will inevitably destroy what has made college sports great. It is already too top heavy, and the stocking of elite talent in just a handful of programs will only get worse.

The overwhelming majority of current CFB fans will stop contributing altogether, since it's "no win" situation for their school and they will just start spending their money elsewhere.

It's already tilted towards the blue bloods every year without factoring in NIL, this will only widen the gap...although you will get a few non-blue blood programs who can still spend gobs of $$$. Oregon immediately comes to mind.

Iowa will slide down the list significantly within the next 5-10 years...probably sooner. They will go from a pretty consistent T25 program to a T50 or lower program.
Since the schools are not giving them money I find it difficult to force them to cap anything.

No other college kid has a cap on what they can earn working a part time job or selling web apps or onlyfans for that matter.

John is a FOX College Basketball play x play guy and reporter. He appears on @TheFieldof68

The full text of his tweet:

One high major coach to me on the state of college basketball:

“It’s a f#%king disaster. For us veteran coaches, this is not what we signed up for. I am not mad at the kids one bit. They’re seeking their value and earning money, and I think they should. It’s your right to get paid. I would do the same thing that they’re doing. Anybody mad at the kids is foolish. But shame on the NCAA for not seeing this coming years ago and being proactive. Not having a boundary or a system in place at all, having no regulations to even attempt to find a common playing field is a major miss. These collectives will get coaches fired. We have had no break. Not one coach in the country has had a single day to sit down and breathe. It’s unhealthy. The other issue is you get attrition when you get commitments. Another kid sees someone commit, dislikes the idea of fighting for their role on a team and wants to bolt elsewhere. We can’t do this every single year. Kids should make big dollars. But the way this is set up right now with no contracts or regulations makes it impossible to sustain anything in this sport.”

The Current state of IOWA Basketball: "It’s a f#%king disaster."​

College basketball is fine. We suck infected moose placenta.

Reactions: kzoohawk80
Since the schools are not giving them money I find it difficult to force them to cap anything.

No other college kid has a cap on what they can earn working a part time job or selling web apps or onlyfans for that matter.
You're probably right, and that's where the NCAA (or the schools themselves) need to step in and attempt to restructure NIL in some way, preferably so that it is the schools providing the players salaries, just like they do with coaches. Afterall, it's the schools reaping the windfall from the mega media deals.

If they don't, CFB (and MBB) will simply lose all the luster it once had...at least for me personally. I don't believe I'm alone in that opinion.

Nobody wants to watch the Lakers vs the Celtics almost every year in the finals, and without a salary cap that's what you would be getting. You would never see teams like the Bucks, Suns, Nuggets, etc. competitive enough to get there.

Btw, those other students aren't a part of a greater collegiate sports scholarship association. An association who's function is to at least try and keep a level playing field for it's members and for the student athletes.

One final thought, if college/high school players are now basically free-agents from the get-go, why doesn't SCOTUS shoot down salary caps in the NFL, NBA, NHL, etc?

You're probably right, and that's where the NCAA (or the schools themselves) need to step in and attempt to restructure NIL in some way, preferably so that it is the schools providing the players salaries, just like they do with coaches. Afterall, it's the schools reaping the windfall from the mega media deals.

If they don't, CFB (and MBB) will simply lose all the luster it once had...at least for me personally. I don't believe I'm alone in that opinion.

Nobody wants to watch the Lakers vs the Celtics almost every year in the finals, and without a salary cap that's what you would be getting. You would never see teams like the Bucks, Suns, Nuggets, etc. competitive enough to get there.

Btw, those other students aren't a part of a greater collegiate sports scholarship association. An association who's function is to at least try and keep a level playing field for it's members and for the student athletes.

One final thought, if college/high school players are now basically free-agents from the get-go, why doesn't SCOTUS shoot down salary caps in the NFL, NBA, NHL, etc?
The SCOTUS doesn’t limit off the field income in pro sports.

The athletes scholarship is essentially their salary capped income from “their league”.

The SCOTUS doesn’t limit off the field income in pro sports.

The athletes scholarship is essentially their salary capped income from “their league”.

Again, this is why they need to restructure NIL so that it's coming from the schools or so that the schools can at least donate directly to it.

They also need to institute a draft.

There is no reason why the kids get to by-pass that part of the equation and go straight to "free agency".

They can go to any school they like to attend class, but they are going to play their particular sport at the school who drafts them.

Only way to keep this fair for everyone.

Because those are collectively bargained.

What a surprise, people who don't know jack shit about how things actually work think they should be able to decide how things should work.

It is a free country. Anyone can get a job anywhere. Stop whining.
You're a real prick.

Just the type of fan I'm going to enjoy seeing bitch about Iowa going 4-8 most years.

Also, I notice you have a hard on for coaching salaries...well I hope they keep sky-rocketing and prices of tickets go up so assholes like you can't afford it.

Oh, and you're a real prick.

Again, this is why they need to restructure NIL so that it's coming from the schools or so that the schools can at least donate directly to it.

There is no reason why the kids get to by-pass that part of the equation and go straight to "free agency".

They can go to any school they like to attend class, but they are going to play their particular sport at the school who drafts them.

How can the school control the NIL of players? No way the courts are going to allow the college to own an individual's "Name, Image, or Likeness" (NIL). That would start to move towards modern day slavery. Did Alabama own/manage Saban's NIL? I'm sure they didn't since no Alabama logo appears in the AFLAC commercials. Why/how should it be different for students?

I don't like NIL and agree boundaries would be great but how are they to get there? Even if we get to a point where the schools are paying players there will still be NIL finds as the courts have determined that can not be restricted.

How can the school control the NIL of players? No way the courts are going to allow the college to own an individual's "Name, Image, or Likeness" (NIL). That would start to move towards modern day slavery. Did Alabama own/manage Saban's NIL? I'm sure they didn't since no Alabama logo appears in the AFLAC commercials. Why/how should it be different for students?

I don't like NIL and agree boundaries would be great but how are they to get there? Even if we get to a point where the schools are paying players there will still be NIL finds as the courts have determined that can not be restricted.
LOL, I'm sure most slaves would love to make six figure salaries.

Obviously there would have to be safe guards in place for the players.

One way to do it is to make sure that the schools are spending a minimum amount towards NIL.

While they're at it, they can institute a salary cap for the coaches too for all I care...that probably should've been done a long time ago.

NO COACH is worth more than $3M per year.
NO PLAYER is worth more than $200K per year.
Have to make sure that ALL ATHLETES get taken care of...not just the QB or 5-star OT or MBB players.

I want wrestlers, volleyball players, track and field athletes, all of them making $$$. Right now, with the new MEGA CONFERENCES, the non-revenue athletes are getting doubly screwed...no NIL $$ and they have to travel across country multiple times per week while balancing class and school work. The FB and MBB players don't have that problem. Their schools treat them like the golden geese that they are. Just win us games baby and class work is optional.

Well, the schools need to start donating to their own cause....they need to be the ones paying the players, NOT THE FANS.

So let it be written, so let it be done.

Only thing I disagree with at here, is that with coaches you at least have signed contracts with buyouts and release clauses, etc if they want to go elsewhere. There’s nothing like that for players. As Iowa fans found out with proctor, there’s no rules, contracts regarding NIL. Just take money and leave the moment they want to with zero repercussions.

It might get a little better when the Covid players are gone, but I’m not sure it will improve all that much.
The transfer rules are causing the freshmen problems. Why would a coach take a freshman over a player with 2 years of experience, unless the freshman's really good. Instant gratification with the transfer and no assurance the freshman will be with you once they develop. You don't have as many players in basketball, so the transfers have a bigger impact than, in say, football.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
LaQuinta- I don't disagree but how can you tell Caitlin Clark, "sorry you are getting the maximum $700,000 (or whatever number the cap is) you are going to have to tell Gatorade you can't do that commercial"? The courts have determined you can not hinder an athlete's ability to make money so whatever cap is put in place will always have the outside workaround of collective (or booster) NIL.

It works the same in the pros, the team has to stay under a salary cap but the players can book as much in endorsement income as possible. Could the Bears have a loyal fan that thinks Tori Taylor is worth more than the Bears can pay him, due to cap restrictions, so they decide to pay him several million to do a couple of appearances? Absolutely, which would be the same thing with any kind of college cap.

LaQuinta- I don't disagree but how can you tell Caitlin Clark, "sorry you are getting the maximum $700,000 (or whatever number the cap is) you are going to have to tell Gatorade you can't do that commercial"?

Each school can be allotted a one-time, generational athlete exemption every 15 years. 😁

The courts have determined you can not hinder an athlete's ability to make money so whatever cap is put in place will always have the outside workaround of collective (or booster) NIL.

Welp, you had all better get your minds right and start bracing yourselves for sub .500 results. Iowa will no longer be anywhere near a Top 25 program ...not with a NIL that ranks outside the Top 50. Iowa will never compete with the elite NIL programs. Those schools with uber rich alumni/boosters who love giving $$ away so their team has bragging rights will be the only ones enjoying successful seasons, let alone even a remote chance at a championship.

You're a real prick.

Just the type of fan I'm going to enjoy seeing bitch about Iowa going 4-8 most years.

Also, I notice you have a hard on for coaching salaries...well I hope they keep sky-rocketing and prices of tickets go up so assholes like you can't afford it.

Oh, and you're a real prick.

the little baby got big mad for being ignorant

The US Supreme Court is right - the colleges run their athletic departments as a big business; they are subject to anti-trust laws. Sooner or later they will share a portion of their billions in revenue with the athletes who generate the massive haul.
This. Its the schools and the NCAA that make all this money, and yet, NONE of this goes to the players. If players need to be paid, then thats the money pool from where it should come. This nonsense that "the fans" need to pony up to pay to recruit players is ridiculous. This is NOT an gripe about the swarm. These guys are just doing what they can in the midst of this mess. Its just not a long term solution in my book.

Reactions: Hawksbyamillion
Welp, you had all better get your minds right and start bracing yourselves for sub .500 results. Iowa will no longer be anywhere near a Top 25 program ...not with a NIL that ranks outside the Top 50. Iowa will never compete with the elite NIL programs. Those schools with uber rich alumni/boosters who love giving $$ away so their team has bragging rights will be the only ones enjoying successful seasons, let alone even a remote chance at a championship.
Without question. We already see on here what happens to expectations when the team has some level of success. Better be ready to lower those expectations if they don't get some control over this mess.

I find it laughable people dontate money to Big Ten and SEC athletic departments.

might as well walk around the docks in Florida and ask the owners of the $50+ million dollar yachts if they would like some of your money.

The problem is that the majority of this $$$ being paid out has ZERO to do with NIL. ZERO. What Clark had set up was NIL in its true form. Most of this other stuff is the same old BAG-O-CASH just like before except now its out in the open. Please tell me how a school can recruit a player out of high school who has NEVER played in a game for that school, and pay him millions to enroll there. Is he actually doing work for some entity? Has he somehow made himself a national figure who people follow to see their exploits, (see Clark). NO! these schools are throwing cash and PROSPECTS, who may or may NOT actually prove themselves worthy of said endorsements. The NCAA should be able to put some guidelines on that because that is NOT NIL. They should also be able to put SOME limitations on how often a player can move from school to school. Even in the pro's you sign a contract for some period of time, or the teams would have ZERO control over their roster. Contracts are needed for college players as well, if they are just free agents, and are being paid. There is no other way to get any kind of handle on this mess.

The problem is that the majority of this $$$ being paid out has ZERO to do with NIL. ZERO. What Clark had set up was NIL in its true form. Most of this other stuff is the same old BAG-O-CASH just like before except now its out in the open. Please tell me how a school can recruit a player out of high school who has NEVER played in a game for that school, and pay him millions to enroll there. Is he actually doing work for some entity? Has he somehow made himself a national figure who people follow to see their exploits, (see Clark). NO! these schools are throwing cash and PROSPECTS, who may or may NOT actually prove themselves worthy of said endorsements. The NCAA should be able to put some guidelines on that because that is NOT NIL. They should also be able to put SOME limitations on how often a player can move from school to school. Even in the pro's you sign a contract for some period of time, or the teams would have ZERO control over their roster. Contracts are needed for college players as well, if they are just free agents, and are being paid. There is no other way to get any kind of handle on this mess.
3e9d4f03-6f3c-45fa-9e88-04dd75e7e3ac_text.gif

Reactions: Hawksbyamillion

NBA/NFL unions can make agreements that give teams cap limits in exchange for percentage of revenue . The college players could form unions and do the same, but whether they can get all the college players to want to join a union and give up their individual negotiating rights is the question. If some star in college doesn't want to join the union and get their own mega package, are the other players going to refuse to play a game with the "scab?"

Anyway....Iowa's NIL situation is pitiful...and the idea of watching pro-athletes put on college jersey's and Iowa having zero chance to succeed at high level is a turn off to watching college sports.

Draft? Roflmao. You get to go to northwestern or Vanderbilt You get to go to Alabama. Talk about lopsided.

Never going to happen. Never.

Is the 63rd member of the women’s crew team at Iowa going to get the same money as the 4 star QB? Roflmao. Title IX lawyers on speed dial please.

And yes, Iowa women’s crew has that many.

Is the 63rd member of the women’s crew team at Iowa going to get the same as the 4 star QB? Roflmao.
Obviously not, but they're entitled to something.

If the 4-star QB is making $600K NIL per semester, then the 63rd women's crew team member should be making at least $3K per semester. How does that sound?

200w.gif

Coaches have been making millions for years and now they're whining about players having some agency. These same coaches could have pushed for rule changes to pay players, instead they got fat and rich and didn't give a **** until the rules were forced upon them.

Whiny anonymous coaches. What a ****.
your so right. 130 coaches with masters degrees should be the equals of 18-22 years that have earned/proven nothing. There is a reason the G league xfl doesn't pay and no one watches.
People watch Iowa because they are from iowa or went to school there, the player in the jersey is of little consequence.
If you want to pay for all conference/all american or academic all american, i'll listen.

LaQuinta- I don't disagree but how can you tell Caitlin Clark, "sorry you are getting the maximum $700,000 (or whatever number the cap is) you are going to have to tell Gatorade you can't do that commercial"? The courts have determined you can not hinder an athlete's ability to make money so whatever cap is put in place will always have the outside workaround of collective (or booster) NIL.

It works the same in the pros, the team has to stay under a salary cap but the players can book as much in endorsement income as possible. Could the Bears have a loyal fan that thinks Tori Taylor is worth more than the Bears can pay him, due to cap restrictions, so they decide to pay him several million to do a couple of appearances? Absolutely, which would be the same thing with any kind of college cap.

Here is a good story on revenue sharing, which is going to happen. As you will read, administrators briefed on a proposed new revenue-sharing model are expecting to share as much as $15-20 million per school, with a spending limit similar to a professional sports team’s salary cap.

Athletes won't lose their NIL deals but they would add MORE INCOME from revenue sharing.

Reactions: kceasthawk

No offense, but it's cute that you believe college athletics have ever been "fair for everyone," or that they every will be.

Obviously not, but they're entitled to something.

If the 4-star QB is making $600K NIL per semester, then the 63rd women's crew team member should be making at least $3K per semester. How does that sound?

200w.gif
The fact they get access to all the perks of an athletic department is more than enough for a made up sport.

• Haha
I can at least commend the NCAA for trying to limit the number of transfers an athlete is allowed without it impacting their eligibility. I thought their proposal that every athlete gets one free transfer and immediate eligibility but any subsequent transfers then the athletes would have to sit out a year and lose a year of eligibility was both fair and balanced and would have gone a long way to address the current state of D1 "free agency". Instead the courts ruled against that proposal so for now the Wild West NIL/Portal situation continues unabated.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT