ADVERTISEMENT

The initial bias against Gable.

HoundedHawk

HR Legend
Oct 2, 2001
I got this from Wikipedia, but I don't know if it is true.

Despite his unprecedented success, Gable was first honored as Big Ten Coach of the Year in 1993. That was his 17th year as Iowa's coach and his 17th Big Ten championship. By comparison, J Robinson of Minnesota has been given the award seven times in his career.That seems unreal. It wasn't until his 17th B1G championship in a row that he won the award? WOW LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

Looks like they started handing out the award in 1988.

COACH OF THE YEAR

1988 Dale Bahr, MICH
1989 J Robinson, MINN
1990 Joe McFarland, IND
1991 Russ Hellickson, OSU
1992 Andy Rein, WIS
1993 Dan Gable, IOWA
1994 J Robinson, MINN
1995 Dan Gable, IOWA
1996 Dan Gable, IOWA
Tom Minkel, MSU
1997 J Robinson, MINN
1998 John Fritz, PSU
1999 J Robinson, MINN
2000 Jim Zalesky, IOWA
2001 Mark Johnson, ILL
2002 J Robinson, MINN
Russ Hellickson, OSU
2003 Troy Sunderland, PSU
2004 Jim Zalesky, IOWA
2005 Mark Johnson, ILL
2006 J Robinson, MINN
2007 J Robinson, MINN
2008 Tom Brands, IOWA
2009 Tom Brands, IOWA
2010 Tom Brands, IOWA
2011 Cael Sanderson, PSU
2012 Cael Sanderson, PSU
2013 J Robinson, MINN
Cael Sanderson, PSU
2014 Cael Sanderson, PSU

and

2015 Tom Ryan, OSU

Big Ten Record Book

Originally posted by JonesHawk125:
I wouldn't get too worked up about any award previously won by Tom Minkel.

Posted from Rivals Mobile
roll.r191677.gif

Originally posted by HoundedHawk:
I got this from Wikipedia, but I don't know if it is true.

Despite his unprecedented success, Gable was first honored as Big Ten Coach of the Year in 1993. That was his 17th year as Iowa's coach and his 17th Big Ten championship. By comparison, J Robinson of Minnesota has been given the award seven times in his career.That seems unreal. It wasn't until his 17th B1G championship in a row that he won the award? WOW LOL!!!!!!!!!!!
I remember that Gable not getting the award the first several years of its existence was a pretty big issue with Iowa fans at the time. I was member of H.A.W.K. then, and it was discussed often. Then it just got to be a joke.

If I have the stats correct Gable went 130-1-1 against conference competition in his 21 years of coaching. Penn St. got a draw in its first year in the conference ('92-93), and Minnesota won one in '93-'94.

Originally posted by overeasy:I remember that Gable not getting the award the first several years of its existence was a pretty big issue with Iowa fans at the time. I was member of H.A.W.K. then, and it was discussed often. Then it just got to be a joke.

If I have the stats correct Gable went 130-1-1 against conference competition in his 21 years of coaching. Penn St. got a draw in its first year in the conference ('92-93), and Minnesota won one in '93-'94.
Didn't PSU end our long undefeated streak at CHA? Would guess sometime in the 80s.

I believe it was in the 90's. Pretty sure I was there for that one. I remember Wes Hand being the HWT possibly his soph year? Maybe his fresh year.

Could certainly be wrong though.

Originally posted by Toughawk:
I believe it was in the 90's. Pretty sure I was there for that one. I remember Wes Hand being the HWT possibly his soph year? Maybe his fresh year.

I will admit to having a bad memory but the time I'm thinking of would have occurred before Wes' tenure.

For or all I know I'm thinking of the tie mentioned earlier.

Please don't take this the wrong way, I am too young to have seen first hand most of the Gable Years at Iowa. I got serious about wrestling around 1990's Penn State team with the Recruiting class of Kolat and the Hughes twins from Benton. I was still in highschool though so my deep knowledge is still limited. Did Gable have an extreme Recruiting imbalance? If he got pick of the liter and filtered in high ceiling under the radar kind of guys and did his Gable Magic. Was dominating that difficult back then for him? Not sure, and not saying it was? But to be as dominant on paper as I have seen, either he cornered the market with talent or he cornered the market with Brilliance....Or maybe a combination of the two??? I admire his accomplishments.

Were these slights personal?? Or the thought that the playing field was not fair from the beginning so they refused to give him his just due? please don't take this the wrong way...because I agree with you being denied those awards when you are so dominant is very strange.

It appears it was in the 87-88 season, losing 19-18 to Penn State (according to the Media Guide it appears as though it was at Home, unless I'm reading it wrong - I thought the streak was a lot longer than that as well - into the 90's). The 1st dual in Carver was against Oklahoma in Jan. 1983.
The next Home loss to Penn State was 10 years later, in Zalesky's 1st year. Wes Hand would have been a Soph. that year I believe.

This post was edited on 4/10 8:21 PM by sloehawk

Don't worry Hawk fans...when J. Robinson retires, I am sure they will name the B1G Coach of the Year award after him.

Originally posted by manmythlegend1:

Please don't take this the wrong way, I am too young to have seen first hand most of the Gable Years at Iowa. I got serious about wrestling around 1990's Penn State team with the Recruiting class of Kolat and the Hughes twins from Benton. I was still in highschool though so my deep knowledge is still limited. Did Gable have an extreme Recruiting imbalance? If he got pick of the liter and filtered in high ceiling under the radar kind of guys and did his Gable Magic. Was dominating that difficult back then for him? Not sure, and not saying it was? But to be as dominant on paper as I have seen, either he cornered the market with talent or he cornered the market with Brilliance....Or maybe a combination of the two??? I admire his accomplishments.

Were these slights personal?? Or the thought that the playing field was not fair from the beginning so they refused to give him his just due? please don't take this the wrong way...because I agree with you being denied those awards when you are so dominant is very strange.
The short answer is no. Gable had a way of identifying kids he thought would fit his program and mentality. He rarely had top ranked recruiting classes and at times passed on high school studs because he didn't think they were a good fit.

Something we could use more of these days, IMHO.

As for the other question, I believe the 87-88 PSU dual is the one I'm thinking of.

B y the time the award was started, Iowa had won so much they probably would give it to anyone who came close. That sort of thing happens, you know, in sports.

Originally posted by sloehawk:

It appears it was in the 87-88 season, losing 19-18 to Penn State (according to the Media Guide it appears as though it was at Home, unless I'm reading it wrong - I thought the streak was a lot longer than that as well - into the 90's). The 1st dual in Carver was against Oklahoma in Jan. 1983.
The next Home loss to Penn State was 10 years later, in Zalesky's 1st year. Wes Hand would have been a Soph. that year I believe.

This post was edited on 4/10 8:21 PM by sloehawk
Yep, on February 6, 1988 PSU gave the Hawks their first home loss since 1983. Final Score, PSU 19 - Iowa 18.

118 Chertow (PSU) MD Martin (IA), 13-5
126 #2 Penrith (IA) DEC #1 Martin (PSU), 9-4
134 Dernlan (PSU) DEC Melchiore (IA), 8-4
142 Meloy (PSU) WBF Pierson (IA)
150 Shafranich (PSU) DEC John Heffernan (IA), 9-4
158 Carpentar (IA) DEC Finkbeiner (PSU), 8-6
167 Sidorick (PSU) DEC Chelesvig (IA), 11-6
177 Alger (IA) DEC Mayo (PSU), 6-5
190 Voi (PSU) DEC Simpson (IA) 8-7
HWT Sindlinger (IA) WBF Padwe (PSU)

Then on January 3, 1998, PSU won again at CHA (ending Iowa's 51 match home winning streak). Final Score, PSU 25 - Iowa 17.

118 Hunter (PSU) Won by FF
126 Betz (PSU) DEC Schwab (IA), 4-2
134 Ironside (IA) MD Walizer (PSU), 11-2
142 McGinness (IA) DEC Billman (PSU), 12-11
150 Musser (PSU) DEC Gilliss (IA), 7-4
158 Lange (PSU) MD Decker (Iowa), 15-1
167 Williams (Iowa) TF Vorhies (PSU), 21-6
177 Thatcher ((PSU) DEC Weber (Iowa), 10-5
190 Fullhart (Iowa) TF Calabretta (PSU), 22-6
HWT Janus (PSU) WBF Hand (Iowa)

Originally posted by pablow:
That McGinness/Billman match was some fun!
It's on youtube in 2 parts.

Part 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOJvh25CNak

Part 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwEb-_HePDA

Originally posted by SPOONER:

Originally posted by overeasy:I remember that Gable not getting the award the first several years of its existence was a pretty big issue with Iowa fans at the time. I was member of H.A.W.K. then, and it was discussed often. Then it just got to be a joke.

Didn't PSU end our long undefeated streak at CHA? Would guess sometime in the 80s.
Yes they did. But they weren't in the conference at that time, so that doesn't go against Gable's conference record that I posted.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT