ADVERTISEMENT

The movie "W."

Was this a documentary or a mockumentary?

• A documentary, this was about as accurate as the director could be.

Votes: 16 27.1%
  • A mockumentary, the director clearly tried to cast Bush as a bafoon.

Votes: 43 72.9%

• Total voters

swagsurfer02

HR King
Gold Member
Dec 8, 2010
I saw this movie yesterday and I can't tell if they were trying to poke fun at the former president or they believed this is how his presidency went down. The longer it went on, I thought this was a parody.

Would a director dare to do this on the current POTUS, fearing that he/she may be called a racist?

Reactions: icu81222
I saw this movie yesterday and I can't tell if they were trying to poke fun at the former president or they believed this is how his presidency went down. The longer it went on, I thought this was a parody.

Would a director dare to do this on the current POTUS, fearing that he/she may be called a racist?
Which parts were inaccurate, IYO?

Reactions: FlickShagwell
To answer your question - yes someone would make it. I can already hear the self righteous BS about how offensive that movie is to people that liked "W".... And there'd be a backlash to the backlash which would keep the director in the news for weeks.

But I don't really see that movie being watchable. What makes W such an easy target were all the times he appeared to be a bumbling moron. Obama is too smooth... It's the reason he got elected.

How do you make a satire about policy mistakes? In many ways the true story is funnier than anything a comedy writer could come up with.

Which parts were inaccurate, IYO?

I didn't say inaccurate. However the character development made the guy seem like an idiot. There's no way Josh Brolin's interpretation of George Bush could fly a 20 million dollar air craft.

He just wasn't intelligent enough.

Reactions: BuckRussel
To answer your question - yes someone would make it. I can already hear the self righteous BS about how offensive that movie is to people that liked "W".... And there'd be a backlash to the backlash which would keep the director in the news for weeks.

But I don't really see that movie being watchable. What makes W such an easy target were all the times he appeared to be a bumbling moron. Obama is too smooth... It's the reason he got elected.

How do you make a satire about policy mistakes? In many ways the true story is funnier than anything a comedy writer could come up with.
No chance anyone would ever make a movie mocking/criticizing Obama. Not like they did with W. All you have to do is watch SNL and see the kid gloves they've treated this guy for 8 years. It's not like there hasn't been a lot of material to work with. Clinton was as slick as they come, much smoother than Obama and SNL skewered him with comedic sketches. They've basically stayed away from Obama because they worry about being called racists or crossing the line. It was ok to make fun of Bill because he was a white boy from Hope, Ark. They made fun of Gore, Kerry, Howard Dean, etc, but have basically ignored Obama. They certainly haven't went after him like other political figures. This isn't my assertion, there was an article (I think maybe in Variety) a week or so ago talking about this and the SNL folks admitted they have for the most part given Obama a pass, mainly because of his race and fear of backlash.

No chance anyone would ever make a movie mocking/criticizing Obama. Not like they did with W. All you have to do is watch SNL and see the kid gloves they've treated this guy for 8 years. It's not like there hasn't been a lot of material to work with. Clinton was as slick as they come, much smoother than Obama and SNL skewered him with comedic sketches. They've basically stayed away from Obama because they worry about being called racists or crossing the line. It was ok to make fun of Bill because he was a white boy from Hope, Ark. They made fun of Biden, Gore, Kerry, Howard Dean, etc, but have basically ignored Obama. They certainly haven't went after him like other political figures. This isn't my assertion, there was an article (I think maybe in Variety) a week or so ago talking about this and the SNL folks admitted they have for the most part given Obama a pass, mainly because of his race and fear of backlash.

I didn't say inaccurate. However the character development made the guy seem like an idiot. There's no way Josh Brolin's interpretation of George Bush could fly a 20 million dollar air craft.

Never saw the movie but what makes you think you need to be intelligent to fly a 20 million dollar plane?

Never saw the movie but what makes you think you need to be intelligent to fly a 20 million dollar plane?

Something about going the speed of sound in a machine that's equipped with high caliber machine guns, and rockets. You may not think you have to be intelligent to take off, fly, and land but I do.

Something about going the speed of sound in a machine that's equipped with high caliber machine guns, and rockets. You may not think you have to be intelligent to take off, fly, and land but I do.

I know people who were his in his class at hbs, they say he was intelligent and I'll take them at their word. That said I don't intelligence is a requirement to fly a military jet.

I know people who were his in his class at hbs, they say he was intelligent and I'll take them at their word. That said I don't intelligence is a requirement to fly a military jet.

I don't think they just let anyone fly those things is my point.

Plus he is fluent in a second language.

SNL are basically cowards.

Do documentaries count? 2016: Obama's America was released in 2012 right around Obama's second term. I don't remember anyone calling Dinesh D'Souza a racist. Certainly didn't paint Obama into a pretty light but maybe because he wasn't portrayed as an idiot it flew under the radar. I remember some discussion when it first came out.

Which takes more brain cells: Fighter jet pilot? Community organizer?
That's not an appropriate comparison; it's not an "either/or" proposition. There are plenty of extremely intelligent people who are not physically and/or psychologically capable of flying a fighter jet. There are also people who are intellectually and physically gifted enough to fly a fighter jet, yet completely incapable of organizing a dinner party let alone be a community activist/organizer.

Do documentaries count? 2016: Obama's America was released in 2012 right around Obama's second term. I don't remember anyone calling Dinesh D'Souza a racist. Certainly didn't paint Obama into a pretty light but maybe because he wasn't portrayed as an idiot it flew under the radar. I remember some discussion when it first came out.

Only white Devils can be racists.... you know the rules.

So the movie is accurate, but it's also not? I'm confused. And why couldn't a guy who makes a horrible President not be able to fly a plane?

So the movie is accurate, but it's also not? I'm confused. And why couldn't a guy who makes a horrible President not be able to fly a plane?

Honestly, I don't know what happened behind closed doors. I was speaking more towards intelligence than pure governing.

Honestly, I don't know what happened behind closed doors. I was speaking more towards intelligence than pure governing.
Please explain how hand/eye coordination, spacial reasoning, and knowledge of how an aircraft works makes one qualified to run a country? I could have zero knowledge of the economy, foreign policy, the creation of jobs, and practically everything else a good president should know, yet make a stellar pilot.

I guess I'm not sure how being able to fly disproves how inept W was as President.

Please explain how hand/eye coordination, spacial reasoning, and knowledge of how an aircraft works makes one qualified to run a country? I could have zero knowledge of the economy, foreign policy, the creation of jobs, and practically everything else a good president should know, yet make a stellar pilot.

I guess I'm not sure how being able to fly disproves how inept W was as President.

You would have a point if he hadn't been governor of Texas and served in the Texas state legislature.

Then why did you mention flying as proof that he was intellectually capable?

I said, there's no way Brolin's interpretation of Bush would ever be able to fly an air craft. Thus the subject of the thread.... Documentary or mockumentary.

Keep up Huey, Dewey, and Louie!

I said, there's no way Brolin's interpretation of Bush would ever be able to fly an air craft. Thus the subject of the thread.... Documentary or mockumentary.

Keep up Huey, Dewey, and Louie!
You also never explained why Brolin's depiction could never fly a plane. Seems like you can't keep up with your own statements.

The movie was pretty accurate in my opinion except for his national guard service and it portrayed him as too much of a buffoon.

Bush's grades were better than Obama's in College!

Prove me wrong! You cant because Obama wont release them!
How about ACT or SAT scores?

Obama's been to all 57 states and he believes Chlorine Gas has never been used in war. lol

Obama also call the marines the Marine Corpse!

Bush's grades were better than Obama's in College!

Prove me wrong! You cant because Obama wont release them!
How about ACT or SAT scores?

Obama's been to all 57 states and he believes Chlorine Gas has never been used in war. lol

Obama also call the marines the Marine Corpse!
I'm not sure you want to hold a contest between Bush and Obama over stupid things said.

I don't know if he was called a racist at that time. He was called a racist after his subsequent documentary. And after the first one, he was called a lot of things. He also was charged with a bogus (in the sense nobody ever gets charged with it) violation of a campaign finance law.

Reactions: icu81222
I think an objective comparison would find Obama saying more stupid things and Bush making more grammatical errors.

I know you are a professional writer/communicator so I hesitate to contradict you on language issues. However, my own observations cause me to believe the opposite regarding presidential grammar.

President Bush used to at times, butcher syntax and sometime the pronunciation of certain words (Nuclear?). Notably however, he assumed his listeners had more than minimal intelligence and accordingly never spoke down to anyone or dumbed down his comments.

President Obama seems to be preachy, and commonly speaks as if his listeners are stupid. Additionally, he routinely drops his "g's" and uses slang and colloquial terms, even when talking to sophisticated audiences. (" Ya don't go messing with" ... stupid "Stuff" etc. etc.) It often seems that he just does not know of words or phrases that would be more suitable. His rambling conversational answers often leave him grasping for words and he comes up with street slang.

Overall, I never found myself going "Huh? What did that man just say?" after listening to President Bush ... something that happens time and time again with President Obama.

President Bush was notably concise and often this led the easily-fooled to be fooled. Some people think that the more words you use, the more articulate you are. President Obama benefits from this misperception.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT