ADVERTISEMENT

The next brands

HR All-American
Feb 23, 2002
I can but tell on my phone but it looks like Nelson Brands might be an all American in Fargo!!!!

Anyone there can confirm?

Congrats to Nelson if this is the case. It would be great to watch another Brands in the Black and Gold.

Just missed

Cons. Round 8 - Savion Haywood (Illinois) won by decision over Nelson Brands (Iowa) (Dec 11-10)

Geez, are we putting a lot of pressure on a young kid?

Nah...The only opinion that really matters is that of his family. I hope its fun for him and that he enjoys it. He doesn't have to be his Dad...just his own man eventually. If there are only two Brands that wear the Iowa singlet, then it was enough, IMO.

Reliand is doing a great job with him on the pressure front. He is close to the family and they work together to keep it fun. From what I have heard (no firsthand here) Terry makes it about him. Having fun, work hard and make his own name. There are some who try to put that expectations on him but they are outside his circle. The coaches and family that work with him keep it real. That's what I was told.

It seems I recall reading somewhere that he was kind of a late start in youth wrestling. If that is the case he is doing a heck of a good job with his learning curve.

pressure and expectations are part of the sport for every kid. No getting around it. I think he handles it well. I was matside for this last match. Nelson had an early lead but this is Fargo Greco and the kid had an awesome headlock. He hit Nelson with it and I don't know how Nelson got out of it, it was tight. Very impressed. Some more points were scored by both and he got hit with it again. This time late in the match even tighter headlock some how he forced his way out of it. It was very impressive, he didn't give up and got out of it because bad ass does run in the family I guess. I know he lost but he scored a lot of points and fought off some brutal situations. This is Greco you can't run and hide with a couple point lead, you have to stand in there and the other kid was tough. No shame in this at all. The pressure is intense for this kid no matter what anyone wants to say about it because it is just going to be. I agree everything I can tell is being done perfectly by his coaches and family. You can tell he is wrestling because he wants to and excepts the pressure. Thats good and will make him a strong mentally tough man some day. I was impressed with his skills and toughness.

ADVERTISEMENT