ADVERTISEMENT

Things (long)

J_Heater

HB Legend
Gold Member
Jan 15, 2005
After re-watching, these are some things I noticed. Most everyone probably already knew.

First drive - personal foul on Vandeberg, so clear it was to send a message. Great moxey by the team to respond with an ass whipping. Then they followed it with a cheap shot on CJ. Iowa just continued to beat the shit out of them.

Tevaun's offensive PI, I saw ND get away with that same type of push 3 times against USC 1 for a TD.

King's pick, if he don't fall down he had 3 blockers in front of him.

Announcer on sideline said if CJ can't run they have no answer for their WRs inability to separate. Um, how about Iowa just runs it right down their throat. Answered.

Once again, exceptional tackling effort by the defense. That may be the biggest improvement from last year.
I think I saw 1 missed tackle the whole game.

The raider defense has been greatly discussed. I love the 4 CB's on the field. Jackson and Flemming were the 2 CB's that came in. Draper came in later.

Hesse was not making plays everywhere but he wasn't a problem that's for sure. NW got the edge on him only 1 time and Jackson never did.

northwestern's first 6 possession, average starting field position was the 13 yd line.

late in 1st quarter, fisher with a series where he blitzed on 1st down and batted down ball, caught a jet sweep on the edge and then fought off a block on the QB draw. He owned that series.

NW drives
Interception, punt, punt, punt, punt, td, fg, punt, punt, fumble, punt, fumble, punt, punt.
That's a recipe for success.

late 1st quarter, kirk with the grab on CJ to hold him upright as he ran out of bounds.

HKC keeps coming up with catches for 1st downs. 1st quarter made a great grab despite being double covered. Did it again on final drive of the first half.

Welsh struggled in pass protection but not as bad as James Daniels did the week before. Unbelievable coaching job being done by BF right now.

Kidd is having a great year and I don't think many of us saw that coming.

Wadley's first TD run, edge was sealed by HKC and Croston and sprung by Hilyer. SR WR asked to be a blocker for the most part. Really love how he has bought into his role.

Wadley's 2nd TD, Blythe pulled and made the last block to get him in the EZ. That was a great hat on hat sequence if you like that sort of stuff.

the great play by CJ to Tevaun that was called back by holding. That was weak sauce. You could call that every play on every team.

CJ sack at 12 minute mark in 2nd quarter was a communication breakdown between Daniels and Croston. JD had him and then left him to Croston who assumed he had the other guy. Not sure whose fault.

quick screen to vandeberg, great move by matt to stay in bounds and pick up 1st down but once again, hilyer great blocking

Wadley run to the 4 at 10 minute mark, welsh with a pancake.

canzeri clapping after Wadley's 2nd TD. Always about the team.

8 minutes mark announcer says NW WR dropped ball right in his hands. Cole Fisher's left hand hit the ball and knocked it away. NW did drop a lot of balls though.

8 minute mark, iowa replaced Hesse, Johnson and Bazata with Nelson, Faith, and Terlouw

NOt really sure what Mabin was thinking when he got beat for long pass on 3rd down. No pump fake, no stop and go, he just assumed that pass was going short. Maybe he saw something in film study but there was nothing to make him bite.

CJs pick he absolutely could not step into that throw. That's concerning. threw it off his back foot. Pretty shabby tackling by IOwa after that pick. Guess thats why they play offense.

IOwa blitzed five times. Fisher with a bat down of a pass. Jewell with a sack. Nieman over ran a draw to Jackson that went for 8 yds, Jewell with a sack. Bower almost got a sack, forced quick dump off to RB for short gain.

facemask on fisher was his arm across face mask. He never grabbed it.

I first noticed it against Wisky but Iowa's new goal line d is a 6-4-1 with King playing safety. Lomax and nieman outside backers, jewell and fisher inside backers. with Meiers moving to NG/DT. On NW 3rd and goal where they had to settle for FG. Bud Spears and Matt Nelson were your DE's, Bazata and Meiers were NG/DT and Fatih and Terlouw were your DTs.

Johnson was out for both NW's scoring possessions. Says he had to go to the bathroom. Hope you had a hell of a piss Jaleel. Little Fast times at Ridgemont High reference. His first play back in, he got a sack.

Announcers called it and they were right. CJ went down on purpose with 2 seconds left to call TO at end of 1st half. Kid is football smart. THe two creative plays to Mitchel and T. smith and then the Timeout he didnt' get called and runs for 1st down. Fun to watch, even when he is hurt. The time out, all his WR's stopped becuase they thought it was a timeout.

Wadley's first run of 2nd half, walsh drives his man 15 yds off the line of scrimmage.

comments from announcers.
"Iowa's OL is like a symphony." Followed by greise saying "not sure I was expecting to hear symphony in regards to this OL"

"Northwestern don't want any part of Macon Plewa coming through that hole. "

"Plewa is a football playing Jesse."

"They are destroying the NW linebackers"

"Fullbacks are still alive in college football and a lot of them are at iowa. "

"Jalen Prater is going to be one sore puppy after this game."

Griese said "I learned as a pro you take care of the guys that take care of you, so I took my OL out to dinner every week." Response was "obviously that didn't carry over to your broadcast team."

"Iowa is just dominating NW's defensive line"

Wadley's 3rd TD, Cox buried Prater.

8 minute mark in 3rd quarter after NW fumble. First play, Adam Cox hurt their LB with a block. He was in pain.

Wadley's 4th TD 4 Wildcats were on the ground on the side of the run alone. They were battered by that time.

Not sure if Kidd can throw the ball but with the punt formation we keep shifting to, twice NW didn't cover one of our WRs. I would expect a fake punt at some point.

Wadley's long run with 8 minutes left, once again Jake Hilyer with the key block. Time and time again hilyer is blocking like a FB.

The PI call late on Mo Fleming was ridiculous. The pass landed almost in the stands.

Jake Duzey played the entire last possession for Iowa.

The screen from Weiggers to Kulick, Jonathon Parker with a big block to get him half those yards.

Such an insignificant play, but 4th and 4 and Wadley sort of strolls for 7 yds behind the backups. The OL completely owned the LOS.

3 FB dives to the backup FB trying not to score at the end really had to stick in Fitz's craw.

We ran the Raider D 7 times.

1. We rushed 3, No QB pressure, pass dropped

2. We rushed 3, they went QB draw, Fisher with a great play to prevent 1st down.

3, Rushed 3, Bower with a lot of pressure, forced QB to throw it away

4. rushed 5, great pressure but qb scambles for 1st down. hesse lost contain.

5. rushed 4, no qb pressure, king with an easy play to knock it down.

6/ rushed 4, great pressure by meier, had to throw away.

7. Rushed 4, bower lost contain, qb scramble for 1st down.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.