ADVERTISEMENT

This about sums up my view on Lester

Every argument about his success as OC previously does not matter if he won't have full control over the offense at Iowa. /thread

Reactions: Niko13
I get what your saying; but the results are the results. A 60% wining percentage is pretty much the definition of average. Anything else is purely speculation.
So do they give the conference coach of the year to the average guys? An award he's won more then ANY other coach. How about AP's National coach of the year? The question should be would Stoops or anyone else been able to win more AT IOWA? Who knows, but I'll bet there are alot of coaches who would not have won as much. Just for fun why don't you look at the winning % of B1G coaches not at Michigan or OSU, and let us know how many have won more then Kirk in the last couple of decades..

I don't know much about Tim Lester and I wasn't very pleased with the hire, but for these two clowns to bring up the last year he was at Syracuse ( an offense he improved quite a bit from the previous year moving to 77th in scoring from 118) and bring up only the last year at Western MI completely avoiding the 5 previous years he had four consecutive top-40 scoring offenses while at Western Michigan averaging at least 430 yards a game, and for five straight years they put up at least 32 points a game, that is some serious cherry-picking of information. I mean less than two minutes in and they say the only success he has had was coaching the QB at Purdue? That is some biased information right there.

I get what your saying; but the results are the results. A 60% wining percentage is pretty much the definition of average. Anything else is purely speculation.
If 60% was average, I wouldn't think it would be the minimum winning percentage needed to get into the College Football Hall of Fame. Only 24 programs in the country have a historical winning record of 60% or more. That is pretty noteworthy

I get what you’re saying; but the results are the results. A 60% wining percentage is pretty much the definition of average. Anything else is purely speculation.
Hayden Fry won 61.6% of his games at Iowa.

Kirk Ferentz has won 62.2% of his games at Iowa.

Hopefully one of these days we can get an above average coach.

Hayden Fry won 61.6% of his games at Iowa.

Kirk Ferentz has won 62.2% of his games at Iowa.

Hopefully one of these days we can get an above average coach.
Look at each coaches Non-conference schedule.

I don't know much about Tim Lester and I wasn't very pleased with the hire, but for these two clowns to bring up the last year he was at Syracuse ( an offense he improved quite a bit from the previous year moving to 77th in scoring from 118) and bring up only the last year at Western MI completely avoiding the 5 previous years he had four consecutive top-40 scoring offenses while at Western Michigan averaging at least 430 yards a game, and for five straight years they put up at least 32 points a game, that is some serious cherry-picking of information. I mean less than two minutes in and they say the only success he has had was coaching the QB at Purdue? That is some biased information right there.
Syracuse lost their starting QB on the opening drive of the season. The two QB’s who played out the rest of the season had attempted 0 passes at the collegiate level. Zero.

They scored at least 17 points in every game, including 27, 24 and 21 against #2 Clemson, #16 LSU and #14 Florida State, respectively. The ACC is not full of defensive juggernauts, but you know, the Big Ten isn’t full of offensive juggernauts either.

I wish I had a 2015 Phil Steele magazine handy, I would be very curious to see what the roster looked like.

Reactions: desihawk
I stopped watching after a few minutes, because my YT blowhard tolerance is low this week. Thanks for the good observation.

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
In the meantime, Kakert's already speculating on Lester being our next head coach. Let's not take a guy who went just a little over .500 as a HC in the MAC before getting canned, and anoint him as the leading candidate to take KF's job before he even steps foot on campus. Just because he may make "any form of improvement" on Brian's woeful offensive output. Not exactly a high bar. Cool your jets there, sparky!

From the article:

Iowa ranked 132 of 133 FBS teams with 15.4 points per game this past season, so any form of improvement would be welcomed. If Lester is able to provide that, Kakert believes he could have a chance to move up the ladder at Iowa.

Ferentz is set to turn 69 later this year and has been the Hawkeyes coach for the past 25 years. It’s time to start thinking about a plan for when he ultimately decides to move on, and an offensive coordinator who brings results would likely garner plenty of interest.

“Does that guy become the frontrunner to take over for Kirk Ferentz, who’s gonna be 69 years old in August?” Kakert said. “If a guy comes in and lights up the scoreboard a little bit, who knows? Beth Goetz, the new AD, I don’t know what her agenda’s gonna be in terms of hiring people but it’s something that you have to think about as an offensive coordinator.

“That’s why I wonder if they might attract somebody out of the norm because they might say, ‘if I come here and I do really well because the bar is so low right now for a good offense, maybe I could become the next head coach at Iowa.’ The Big Ten jobs are like the golden ticket. It’s the Big Ten and the SEC.”
They might have had just this scenario w/ Grubb. Can anyone verify he was approached with that kind of deal?

Syracuse lost their starting QB on the opening drive of the season. The two QB’s who played out the rest of the season had attempted 0 passes at the collegiate level. Zero.

They scored at least...
Was this the reason they supposedly only have one snap count?

So,,,,,,,,,,it is still not official. What if Lester was hired as WR coach? He did send a couple of them to the NFL. So he is qualified much more for that then OC. Being wr coach at Iowa is a better gig then OC at Troy too. Just saying, it has been days since the news broke, and no announcement from the U.

you guys all knew KF wasn't going to get somebody better than bf, just the same. same old same old. this is what we do at iowa.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT