ADVERTISEMENT

This Bothers Me

WTF ? This scenario apparently repeated itself this year as another legacy recruit, OL Sean Foster, recently committed to Minnesota.

It should be bothersome. It's f****** ridiculous
No worries...Iowa has plenty of afterthoughts and walk ons to fill the void.... It will be interesting to see how players like Foster,Heinrich,Meeker,Julian Good Jones, and Ruhland develop in comparison to what Iowa signed. All of the previously mentioned players had/have(Heinrich)/(Foster), multiple power 5 conference offers. Iowa signed guys that had very limited offer lists.....and didn't offer any of those guys...The Iowa staff might be proven correct in their evaluations or they could be proven to be dumbasses... We all will know in a couple of years... Need to edit to say James Daniels did not have a "limited" offer list.

Last edited:
It's too bad these kids didn't sign with Iowa so you could be pissed about that instead of being pissed that Iowa snubbed him. Long off season guys, control your anger. It's just a suggestion.

Reactions: ichawk24
This happens all the time across the country. Nothing out of the ordinary. With the information out there on each recruit and the number of staff people assigned to gather information kids usually aren't overlooked. Kirk Ferentz has been pretty successful at recruiting lineman and if he wasn't recruited there must have been something Kirk saw in those he did recruit that was better. Sometimes even with all the stats it's a dice roll. The only way we will know if the kid is motivated because of the snub is...time.

This happens all the time across the country. Nothing out of the ordinary. With the information out there on each recruit and the number of staff people assigned to gather information kids usually aren't overlooked. Kirk Ferentz has been pretty successful at recruiting lineman and if he wasn't recruited there must have been something Kirk saw in those he did recruit that was better. Sometimes even with all the stats it's a dice roll. The only way we will know if the kid is motivated because of the snub is...time.

But do we know if the staff even had him on their radar? That's the question.

It would be ridiculous for any fan to assume greater expertise in evaluating OL talent than Kirk Ferentz.

That said, Ruhland and Foster are die-hard legacy recruits who were fairly highly ranked and also heavily recruited with multiple offers from major programs. Even if they don't grade out as high as their ranking, It just seems to me that you would have a little extra leeway in the evaluation process for these type of recruits.

Reactions: FlintTown
"But do we know if the staff even had him on their radar? That's the question."
Oh he was on the radar. The question is was he rated six, five, four, three, two or at the top by his region recruiter after his sophomore year. Kids that are below the top can work up and become one's or two's but if they remain at a lower level the end of their junior year it's tough to get recruited. Now another recruiter may have them higher. Rather than being a hit or miss game as some have suggested it's a numbers game.

I always felt like recognizing talent that others didn't see was a strength of KF. The last few years he seems to have lost that touch a bit.

Some posters can look very foolish when they think they know more about OL than coach Ferentz. This is probably the worst topic to select if trying to troll coach.
How is this trolling or saying I know more than KF about OL?

To anybody's eyes, the OL is paper thin. And to snub a highly talented legacy in a position of need is disturbing.

When we were anemic at WR, we threw out offers to tons of recruits that were projects at best and no love of the Hawkeyes.

I know KF is well respected everywhere as an excellent offensive line mind. The strange thing is that when we talk about Iowa having a great offensive line. I'm talking about great not average and I'm not talking about having one first round draft pick on the offensive line. When was the last time Iowa had a great offensive line?

^.. The Hawks took a kid with a blown shoulder and a kid with zero offers instead.... Also, remember Iowa doesn't have Lester Erb recruiting the state of Illinois anymore...They have Brian Ferentz handling that.... Like I said earliar...it will be interesting to watch how all of the other players Iowa passed on perform, compared to the one's they think are better...

How is this trolling or saying I know more than KF about OL?

To anybody's eyes, the OL is paper thin. And to snub a highly talented legacy in a position of need is disturbing.

When we were anemic at WR, we threw out offers to tons of recruits that were projects at best and no love of the Hawkeyes.
This. So much this.

Ross Piercebacher from Cedar Falls is starting for Alabama as a redshirt freshman. Played for first three quarters in spring game. Would have been a good left tackle if he had stayed put. No, I'm not his Dad!!

Ross Piercebacher from Cedar Falls is starting for Alabama as a redshirt freshman. Played for first three quarters in spring game. Would have been a good left tackle if he had stayed put. No, I'm not his Dad!!
Iowa tried to get guys like Piersbacher,Wallace,Okorafor, and Campos to play OT for Iowa. They all chose elsewhere... That is why when you look at the 2 deep at OT and say WTF how the hell did this happen....? Iowa whiffed at OT for 2 straight classes. Let that sink in... If Iowa was ever going to look to the Juco/transfer ranks for multiple players... this is the position to do it immediately.

Iowa was very aware of Ruhland after his sophomore year. Iowa simply showed little to no interest in him throughout the entire process.

Last edited:
Iowa tried to get guys like Piersbacher,Wallace,Okorafor, and Campos to play OT for Iowa. They all chose elsewhere... That is why when you look at the 2 deep at OT and say WTF how the hell did this happen....? Iowa whiffed at OT for 2 straight classes. Let that sink in... If Iowa was ever going to look to the Juco/transfer ranks for multiple players... this is the position to do it immediately.

This WAS the year to do so. A classic example of poor recruiting and roster management. I think Boone and Ike will be good tackles in the future. I just think they would have been better served getting another year preparing. This is much like the LB situation that plagued the Hawkeyes last year. It wasn't a surprise that Morris, Hitchens, and Kirksey were going to graduate. I think our LBs could be good but they were not ready for playing time last year.

This WAS the year to do so. A classic example of poor recruiting and roster management. I think Boone and Ike will be good tackles in the future. I just think they would have been better served getting another year preparing. This is much like the LB situation that plagued the Hawkeyes last year. It wasn't a surprise that Morris, Hitchens, and Kirksey were going to graduate. I think our LBs could be good but they were not ready for playing time last year.
True. Just like when Clayborn/Ballard, etc.. left and they rolled a doughnut when trying to sign a DE after Kenney decommitted.... It's obvious to everybody in college football where the weaknesses are on the Iowa team, yet KF and staff fail to go hard after transfers and Jucos to fill those obvious holes... It is stunning the lack of awareness this staff shows... Wr-weakness. Ol-weakness. Lb-weakness. De-weakness at one spot and limited at best as far as depth goes. Perfect places for multiple Jucos/transfers to come in and help. Iowa signs afterthoughts like Harris/Slater at DE, afterthoughts at lB like Bower and Jewell,Fisher,Perry, etc.., after thoughts like Meyers/Croston/ what ever else they list at OT... Walk ons and grey shirts at wr... How does a coach with 15-16 years at the helm allow a team to be so depleted at so many positions? This team has obvious playing time available at multiple positions, yet they don't go after Jucos and transfers....How hard could it be to sell to a Juco/transfer that their is playing time available here? Isn't that one of the key things they look at when deciding where to go? They should be offering 15-20 a year in the hopes of landing 2-4 in each class...

If Ruhland amounts to anything, then and only then is it time to let it bother you. I agree with the others. KF's track record on getting the right guys for the OL is above reproach.

True. Just like when Clayborn/Ballard, etc.. left and they rolled a doughnut when trying to sign a DE after Kenney decommitted.... It's obvious to everybody in college football where the weaknesses are on the Iowa team, yet KF and staff fail to go hard after transfers and Jucos to fill those obvious holes... It is stunning the lack of awareness this staff shows... Wr-weakness. Ol-weakness. Lb-weakness. De-weakness at one spot and limited at best as far as depth goes. Perfect places for multiple Jucos/transfers to come in and help. Iowa signs afterthoughts like Harris/Slater at DE, afterthoughts at lB like Bower and Jewell,Fisher,Perry, etc.., after thoughts like Meyers/Croston/ what ever else they list at OT... Walk ons and grey shirts at wr... How does a coach with 15-16 years at the helm allow a team to be so depleted at so many positions? This team has obvious playing time available at multiple positions, yet they don't go after Jucos and transfers....How hard could it be to sell to a Juco/transfer that their is playing time available here? Isn't that one of the key things they look at when deciding where to go? They should be offering 15-20 a year in the hopes of landing 2-4 in each class...
Do you really think that there are a ton of JUCO guys that are just sitting there like used cars that you can just plug in? If so you are very disconnected about JUCO football. At the best JUCO's there are only a few D-1 players.

This thread is so full of stupid it is another classic. Bitching about he coaching staff and the ability to seek out and develop the OL is laughable. Iowa has signed 11 OL in the last two years. Do you think this kid will be better than Newborg or the Plausen twins? You don't know and either do I. He is not better than Daniels...but it is easy to forget about the ones that are signed and bitch about every kid that goes to another school.

Iowa might have the one of the best DE's in the B10 this year. The just had two DL taken in the draft. They had all three LBers go to the NFL two years ago. Two of them might of been the most valuable rookie on their respective teams. To believe that Iowa is a plug and play college football team is fooling yourself. It never has been and never will be.

Reactions: TCIowa
Do you really think that there are a ton of JUCO guys that are just sitting there like used cars that you can just plug in? If so you are very disconnected about JUCO football. At the best JUCO's there are only a few D-1 players.

This thread is so full of stupid it is another classic. Bitching about he coaching staff and the ability to seek out and develop the OL is laughable. Iowa has signed 11 OL in the last two years. Do you think this kid will be better than Newborg or the Plausen twins? You don't know and either do I. He is not better than Daniels...but it is easy to forget about the ones that are signed and bitch about every kid that goes to another school.

Iowa might have the one of the best DE's in the B10 this year. The just had two DL taken in the draft. They had all three LBers go to the NFL two years ago. Two of them might of been the most valuable rookie on their respective teams. To believe that Iowa is a plug and play college football team is fooling yourself. It never has been and never will be.
They whiffed on every OT prospect they offered for two straight classes
We are talking about the make up of this current team
They obviously failed to fill the obvious holes at lb 2 and 3 years ago. That is why you saw what you did last year when Minny and Tenn put a total clownsuit on the Hawks. Failures in recruiting led to last year's record
How could anyone be dumb enough to deny this? This team has many weaknesses. Jucos can help shore up these positions. The time to capitolize on a weak schedule is now. Using a bunch of walk ons and afterthoughts is not the way to rebuild any form of relevance

Look at the last 8 OL Iowa has signed. 1 player had multiple power 5 offers. 1 other had 1and that was from the Clowns. 3 had no other offer from any school on the planet. The others had offers from Northern Colorado,South Dakota State,UNI,Illinois State, Mizzu State, etc. This is what the future OL will be made up with. This is what the Iowa staff with all of their history, all of their time/effort/money/conference affilliation/fan support/etc...could come up with? This is why we all should think the future will be better when the schedule actually becomes better? There can't be a Juco or two that would be better than 2 of these guys? What happened to getting guys like Scherrf,Reiff,Bulaga,Jones,Richardson,etc..Guys that other relevant programs wanted...How does it get like this?

Not offering doesn't mean they didn't recruit him. According to the Chicago Tribune, he says ND was the offer he was waiting for. If Iowa knew that, why offer.

Not offering doesn't mean they didn't recruit him. According to the Chicago Tribune, he says ND was the offer he was waiting for. If Iowa knew that, why offer.
Iowa has offered dozens of players this year that are waiting on or have received their "dream" offer. Crazy things happen in recruiting
No reason to be scared in recruiting
Iowa didn't want this kid. As already mentioned, it will be interesting to watch how he,Foster,Heinrich,Meeker,Good-Jones,Williams , etc. perform in comparison to who the staff thought were better options.

All Iowa had to do was offer...they didn't, for whatever reason. Again, he wanted to go to Iowa, but the staff didn't pursue him at all.

Its refreshing that people have stopped bitching about the high number of offers we've extended to start bitching about the lack of offers.

"All Iowa had to do was offer...they didn't, for whatever reason. Again, he wanted to go to Iowa, but the staff didn't pursue him at all."

Its refreshing that people have stopped bitching about the high number of offers we've extended to start bitching about the lack of offers.
Link? I remember seeing multiple posts along the lines of the staff did this "too late", but don't recall many "bitching" about the number of offers. I also remember quite a few others saying this was a good thing, and the phrase "can't get them if you don't offer them" used a few times. Perhaps you can find a thread with all these posters "bitching" about the number of offers for me?

Why does it sound like a recruit we should be going after?
Exactly! This kid is the opposite of what we want. He is highly rated, has a chip on his shoulder, multiple BCS offers, would crawl through broken glass to be a Hawkeye, and a position of great need.

Why should we want any of that

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
I've been one to complain about all the offers as it seems like they are throwing stuff against the wall to see what sticks. Is there any contact prior to offers in the form of letters or calls? I'll admit I am pretty ignorant about the recruiting process, but in the case of Ruhland who would have been a legacy recruit, there had to be some sort of contact be it from them or from Iowa? IMO fans have a reason to complain about not offering a 4*, 6'4" 285 lb OL prospect.

Exactly! This kid is the opposite of what we want. He is highly rated, has a chip on his shoulder, multiple BCS offers, would crawl through broken glass to be a Hawkeye, and a position of great need.

Why should we want any of that

So because he was a 4 star by a recruiting service and because he had other offers with name programs we should want him.

The jury is still out on this kid. This may have been a mistake but it might not have been. I am going to trust our coaching staff to evaluate recruits versus some publication. When KF had his first breakout season it was done with the type of recruits everyone is complaining about.

Foster has a 6'4 280 pound brother as well. I do have to wonder what Ferentz has going for logic. Minny kicked our ass last year and have been a better running team, if Foster was good enough for them (not to mention all the other offers) I have to think some people have their heads in their asses. We have all kinds of trouble getting high ranked recruits and we don't bring in 4 stars who want to come here? WTF.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT