ADVERTISEMENT

This Bothers Me

Generally I've been pleased with KF's recruiting. I would say it was on par with Hayden (some will consider that an insult, not me). But the legacy thing has been a head-scratcher. It's not just O-line recruits (remember that legacy who went to Ohio State?), but several legacies at other positions got snubbed or only token interest. This wouldn't be as concerning if the trend also applied to his own children.

As for the usual chorus of "you can't question the greatest O-line guru in history". To me that's like saying "Well if a guy goes to Harvard law school there really isn't any chance he would do anything unconstitutional as POTUS". ;-)

Not to hack on Sean Foster's dad, but to say that is a Legacy recruit is a bit far fetched. His Dad didn't make it past his first year.

How many people knew about this kid before this article?

i for one did not, but i am not being paid to get the best recruits on campus for Iowa. They knew him and knew him well and passed.

Thankfully Coach Ferentz is back giving the program 100% of his attention and things like this will not happen again in the future.

Reactions: HRiscool
So because he was a 4 star by a recruiting service and because he had other offers with name programs we should want him.

The jury is still out on this kid. This may have been a mistake but it might not have been. I am going to trust our coaching staff to evaluate recruits versus some publication. When KF had his first breakout season it was done with the type of recruits everyone is complaining about.
I think Notre Dame's recruiting classes are typically a bit better than Iowa's (he said with EXTREME sarcasm), and if they signed this kid, I think it's fair to say they didn't go by the thoughts of "some publication".

The jury is still out on every kid ever recruited in the history of sports, until they hit the field against other college players, they are all prospects. That said, if a 4* star player at any position with other major offers that wants to come to Iowa, and isn't some low-life scumbag, you take them.

This particular kid may never play a down at Notre Dame, or maybe he'll be an All-American. One thing for certain, Ferentz already fancies himself as a Development Coach, so you might as well start with a kid that other major schools are willing to take a shot at, to put on your "development" list. And a Legacy recruit to boot.

I'd like to say that this type of thing shocks me, but it's just further proof that our Good Captain has completely lost his freaking mind. Perhaps he was too busy checking out recruits we could steer away from Toledo and Ball State, and was therefore too busy. And since we only keep a portion of the half-assed recruits we do get, it might make sense to take a small chance on a decently ranked kid who actually really wants to be here. The whole thing smacks of insanity.

I think Notre Dame's recruiting classes are typically a bit better than Iowa's (he said with EXTREME sarcasm), and if they signed this kid, I think it's fair to say they didn't go by the thoughts of "some publication".

The jury is still out on every kid ever recruited in the history of sports, until they hit the field against other college players, they are all prospects. That said, if a 4* star player at any position with other major offers that wants to come to Iowa, and isn't some low-life scumbag, you take them.

This particular kid may never play a down at Notre Dame, or maybe he'll be an All-American. One thing for certain, Ferentz already fancies himself as a Development Coach, so you might as well start with a kid that other major schools are willing to take a shot at, to put on your "development" list. And a Legacy recruit to boot.

I'd like to say that this type of thing shocks me, but it's just further proof that our Good Captain has completely lost his freaking mind. Perhaps he was too busy checking out recruits we could steer away from Toledo and Ball State, and was therefore too busy. And since we only keep a portion of the half-assed recruits we do get, it might make sense to take a small chance on a decently ranked kid who actually really wants to be here. The whole thing smacks of insanity.

If you are willing to dole out a scholarship simply because they are a 4* and other major schools have offered then I am glad you are not our recruiting coordinator. Schools need to do their own evaluations. Jake Christianson was a 4* and had offers from major programs and he had no business being on the field. We wiffed on that one and he was highly recruited.

Reactions: Herkmeister
If you are willing to dole out a scholarship simply because they are a 4* and other major schools have offered then I am glad you are not our recruiting coordinator. Schools need to do their own evaluations. Jake Christianson was a 4* and had offers from major programs and he had no business being on the field. We wiffed on that one and he was highly recruited.
"highly recruited"? His other offers were-KSU,MSU, and Northwestern... Plenty of major programs did their own evaluations....and passed on him.

Recruiting is not an exact science by any means... but O-line recruiting recently has left alot to be desired... They whiffed completely on OT's for two straight classes. Two highly thought of in state kids that Iowa wanted, went elsewhere-Piersbacher and Campos. They tried to get guys like Brian Wallace and Okorafor. Iowa couldn't land them... Meanwhile they have been taking guys like Reid Sealby(back up long snapper), and Keppy... They brought in a Juco-Simmons- he couldn't beat out a small 5th year walk on last year. Like KF said, the 2's should be 3's. They don't have much if any depth. They are replacing 2 damn good Ot's with a walk on and a guy learning the position. They have nothing behind these two... What happened to the program that had the ability to recruit the Richardson's,Reiff's, Mike Jones's, Bulaaga's, and Scherff's of the world? Look at those kids offer lists and look at the offer lists of guys like Sealby,Keppy,Simmons,Reynolds,Waechter,Paulsen's(s),. They simply have to do a much better job if they want to attempt to gain some form of relevance again. Is it easy?, no..but with the history of KF,the fan support,new upgraded facilities, money/time/effort put in by asst coaches,conference affiliation, etc...etc... the excuses need to stop and they need to start showing some results here, as far as O-lineman recruiting goes, specifically at the OT position.

The last LT was the best lineman in the nation, let's give them a season before we demand results from the OT. You can't get too much better than that, unless you are Orlando Pace going for a Heisman

The last LT was the best lineman in the nation, let's give them a season before we demand results from the OT. You can't get too much better than that, unless you are Orlando Pace going for a Heisman
and look at his offer list compared to the OT's on the current 2 deeps...Do you see what I'm talking about? The dropoff between him and what they have now... is huuuuge. The dropoff between Donnal and what they have now is huuuuge. Recruiting, especially at OT, has been absolutely horrid. Look at what they have brought in at OT in the past THREE classes. The Paulsens are supposed to be capable of playing there, now list what else this staff has been capable of signing outside of these two players that had a combined ZERO offers from a power 5 school, heck, zero offers period. Not UNI,not Northern Colorado,not South Dakota, etc... like most of the other recent(outside of Daniels) O-lineman this staff has been capable of signing.. Go ahead and list the OT's in the 2016 class that have Iowa in a top 3 list.. I can list quite a few that aren't even looking at Iowa that the Hawks have offered..Right now, the only 1 that has visited is Farniok. The only other O-lineman even considering possibly visiting is a G/T prospect named Parker Boudreaux who has over 75 offers. Iowa made his top 10. Think Iowa is going to sign either of these 2? Iowa's OT's are made up of 2 walk ons, a Guard trying to play Tackle, a guy trying to play the position as he learns about the position.....As already mentioned by KF- the 2's are actually 3's. Do you people understand what this means? It means they have zero depth. Maybe their 5th-6th string TE-Ryan Ward, could finally learn how to play OT? For those continuing to say "I trust KF and BF". How do you explain guys like Sealby,Goebel(gone)Reynolds,Simmons,Keppy,Ward? Some great development there, correct? These guys wouldn't sniff the field on the OL at a complete turd like New Mexico State. Yet, they will be counted on to make a contribution this year for a team in the B10 conference..ISU gained 3-4 sacks against an Iowa O-line that had Donnal and Scherff....think about what it will be like this year as ISU has brought in multiple Juco's and now have a somewhat recognizable D-line as compared to one of the most horrific examples of a D-line in recent college football history..You think having afterthoughts and walk ons is going to make it better than having Scherff and Donnal?

Edit- Shouldn't have included Reynolds on the list above...Thought he was a JR, he is only a RS freshman. Obviously he has 3 more years to develop from a late grayshirt with nothing but FCS offers into a functional O-lineman.

Last edited:

I agree. Yet Ferentz kept trotting him out there even after several verbal arguments with KOK. Finally KOK got his way and Stanzi got the job. If Ferentz had his way Jake would have never lost the job and never transferred. This is just one example out of hundreds where Kirk has no clue how to get the better players on the field.

And what I'm trying to say is that you claim you want results but arent willing to allow the games to be played before the results can be shown.

How many coaches have had two outland trophy winners on the offensive side? Saban?

And what I'm trying to say is that you claim you want results but arent willing to allow the games to be played before the results can be shown.

How many coaches have had two outland trophy winners on the offensive side? Saban?
Plenty of HC's have 2 on the same side. Heck,I think Bielema might have done it during his time at Wisky . Not 100% sure if he was the HC when Thomas won it, though. Nebbie has something like 9 Outland trophy winners... they won the award like 3 out of 4 years with O-lineman under Osborne.. Look at the winners in the history of the award, you might be a little surprised at how many, over time, have done it....

If you think this depleted roster of O-lineman is going to get Iowa back to being some form of a relevant program...more power to ya. The coaches have a monumental task on their hands.. Again, when the HC says most of the 2's are actually 3's...what does that mean to you? Does he sound overconfident with the depth? Explain what you think he meant by that remark......

Last edited:
Yet again, GD and going to a dang 'spread' O is biting us. Several OL spots were given up to recruit more receivers for GD's O. And what do we have to show for it?

Hiring GD was the beginning of the end of the KF era in IC.

Yet again, GD and going to a dang 'spread' O is biting us. Several OL spots were given up to recruit more receivers for GD's O. And what do we have to show for it?

Hiring GD was the beginning of the end of the KF era in IC.
To answer the question...Iowa has Harris and Vandenberg left as far as so called wr's.... Mitchell is at rb, Powell used up his eligibility,Willies is at a Juco in Texas, and I don't know where Anjeus Jones ended up....

Do you really think that there are a ton of JUCO guys that are just sitting there like used cars that you can just plug in? If so you are very disconnected about JUCO football. At the best JUCO's there are only a few D-1 players.

This thread is so full of stupid it is another classic. Bitching about he coaching staff and the ability to seek out and develop the OL is laughable. Iowa has signed 11 OL in the last two years. Do you think this kid will be better than Newborg or the Plausen twins? You don't know and either do I. He is not better than Daniels...but it is easy to forget about the ones that are signed and bitch about every kid that goes to another school.

Iowa might have the one of the best DE's in the B10 this year. The just had two DL taken in the draft. They had all three LBers go to the NFL two years ago. Two of them might of been the most valuable rookie on their respective teams. To believe that Iowa is a plug and play college football team is fooling yourself. It never has been and never will be.

How can we not know if Newborg or the Plausen twins are better but you do know Daniels is better?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT