ADVERTISEMENT

Three wrestlers arrested

SCHawkFan

HR Legend
Oct 4, 2001
Myrtle Beach, SC
Burglary charges are pending against three University of Iowa wrestlers arrested on alcohol-related charges last week.
Marion Police Lt. Scott Elam said officers were called out to Hunters Ridge around 1 a.m. on March 18 for a theft-in-progress call. Officers were given the description of a suspect vehicle, which matched a vehicle seen in the area. The vehicle was driven by UI freshman Ross Lembeck, 19, of Lisbon. His passengers were 19-year-old freshman Seth Gross, of Apple Valley, Minn.; and 19-year-old freshman Logan Ryan, of Bettendorf.
All three grapplers were charged with possessing alcohol under the legal age. Lembeck was charged with drunken driving and Gross earned an additional charge of interference with official acts when he fought with officers.[/I]

Link

God I hope they weren't stealing women's clothing!

[I think a scholarship just opened up]

Wow! I'm really surprised about Gross. He seems like a really religious kid, not that religious kids don't make mistakes.

I hope they don't get bounced, but I hope Brands makes it hard for them to get back on the team.

Based on what I know of Gross, I agree -- that's pretty surprising. Sorry to hear it. Hopefully all three young men learn a lot from this and earn their way back into good standing.

That is some really stupid decision making. Stealing stuff is idiotic especially if it was likely "for the fun of it". Getting drunk and driving around is idiotic as well let alone the night before the NCAAs start. All 3 know better.

Correction 2 nights before NCAAs, St. Pats gone bad.
This post was edited on 3/23 1:42 PM by MVPFAN

I wish these guys good luck at whatever institution chooses to accept them next. They should be shown the door. Burglary and fighting with the police? These are the things we like to make fun of ISU for tolerating, not things that should happen at Iowa.

Originally posted by WWDMHawkeye:
Based on what I know of Gross, I agree -- that's pretty surprising. Sorry to hear it. Hopefully all three young men learn a lot from this and earn their way back into good standing.
I realize all of this is premature and based off of one news report. I can see "earning" your way back onto the team after a possession of alcohol but burglary? That's not a victimless crime. It's not a typical college student thing (alcohol) or a boys will be boys (hunting wabbits on campus). Very poor decision-making.

Well drinking makes you some stupid things.
Just my opinion but wouldn't the burglary charges be a felony.
They could face jail time.
Tough deceison for coach to make but maybe not with the burglary charges.
Most likely Gross was the only one getting aid so it will open up some money.

Always sad to see these happen..I have made many mistakes my self. I just hope the boys get the help they need the rest of their lives is more important than wrestling.

Don't forget the Ed Ruth deal, does not take much resistance to be accused of fighting police. I'd guess he lost it realizing he was in deep crap and tried to get away or something.

Originally posted by minnhawkeye:

Well drinking makes you some stupid things.
Just my opinion but wouldn't the burglary charges be a felony.
They could face jail time.
Tough deceison for coach to make but maybe not with the burglary charges.
Most likely Gross was the only one getting aid so it will open up some money.

Always sad to see these happen..I have made many mistakes my self. I just hope the boys get the help they need the rest of their lives is more important than wrestling.
From the article:

"Second-degree burglary as a Class C felony punishable by up to 10 years in prison."

Also, the KCRG article stated they were in possession of items from seven different reported burglaries???? Don't even try to chalk this up to kids getting drunk and making a bad choice. People that steal from others just make me sick, scum of the earth in my opinion.

Dumb, dumb, dumb. Hard to figure a scenerio where I would want to keep them on the team. Drinking is somewhat excusable IMO. Stealing not so much. Still with incomplete knowledge of the situation, so willing to let it play out before before calling for their heads.

Of all the places to break the law in they had to pick the one town where there are more cops per capita than even Iowa City.

Hopefully they learn their lesson and it doesn't cost them their careers. No need to rush to judgement on whether or not they will be dismissed. Brands will make the proper decision.

IOWA CITY, Iowa - Three members of the University of Iowa wrestling team were arrested last Tuesday night. They are freshman Seth Gross, freshman Ross Lembeck, and freshman Logan Ryan. All three wrestlers have been suspended indefinitely.

"I am extremely disappointed with the decision-making of these three young men. I am currently gathering the facts and will use the UI's student code of conduct and our team rules as my starting points to address the situation," UI wrestling coach Tom Brands said in a prepared statement.

Students convicted of felony charges are usually kicked out of school.
Might not be a decision Brands has to make.
Either way, incredibly dumb thing to do.

I wouldn't be too quick to rush to judgement here. The only thing they have been charged with is alcohol related, plus the interference with official act - which although the article states it was for fighting with officers, I doubt there was any real fight in the sense that you and I might think, otherwise the charge would have been more severe. Could have been just something a drunk kid would do.

In regards to the felony burglary - they haven't been charged with anything yet. If it turns out they've been running around ripping people off, well that's one thing. On the other hand, it could be a number of things that drunk college students tend to do, like signs or things that fall more into the vandalism range.

Most of the people on here have probably done some pretty stupid things when drunk at 19 years old. I get that they represent the university - as all athletes do - but you see this a lot of times with freshman in their first year away from home and constant supervision. Yes, they are adults, but they also make mistakes.

Hoping for their sake that this is more along the lines of possibly what I outlined above and nothing more serious for all of these kids' sake. When it comes to the effect on a wrestling team, it is minimal. Probably be a lesson well learned for all if it turns out to be less severe than at first glance - which I suspect it to be.

Originally posted by CP84 2.0:
Of all the places to break the law in they had to pick the one town where there are more cops per capita than even Iowa City.
I live in Marion. The police here are not a problem unless you are being a dumbass. As a resident, I wouldn't want it any other way. They do the job. Never had a single problem with the Marion police. When people do stupid things, they are all over it in no time. Very little crime here and what does happen, they extinguish it quickly.

Originally posted by dicemen99:
I wouldn't be too quick to rush to judgement here. The only thing they have been charged with is alcohol related, plus the interference with official act - which although the article states it was for fighting with officers, I doubt there was any real fight in the sense that you and I might think, otherwise the charge would have been more severe. Could have been just something a drunk kid would do.

In regards to the felony burglary - they haven't been charged with anything yet. If it turns out they've been running around ripping people off, well that's one thing. On the other hand, it could be a number of things that drunk college students tend to do, like signs or things that fall more into the vandalism range.

Most of the people on here have probably done some pretty stupid things when drunk at 19 years old. I get that they represent the university - as all athletes do - but you see this a lot of times with freshman in their first year away from home and constant supervision. Yes, they are adults, but they also make mistakes.

Hoping for their sake that this is more along the lines of possibly what I outlined above and nothing more serious for all of these kids' sake. When it comes to the effect on a wrestling team, it is minimal. Probably be a lesson well learned for all if it turns out to be less severe than at first glance - which I suspect it to be.
Good point. Kids are idiots. When I was in college I pulled a parking meter out of the sidewalk [cement and all] and carried it a mile, over my shoulder, back to dorm - [put it in the floor shower, of course]. But I wasn't stealing - I just hated parking meters. Still do.,

This post was edited on 3/23 3:27 PM by pablow

Originally posted by pablow:

Originally posted by dicemen99:

Good point. Kids are idiots. When I was in college I pulled a parking meter out of the sidewalk [cement and all] and carried it a mile, over my shoulder, back to dorm - [put it in the floor shower, of course]. But I wasn't stealing - I just hated parking meters. Still do.,

This post was edited on 3/23 3:27 PM by pablow
I was actually thinking of some mailboxes when I wrote that, lol. Kids are idiots. Drunk kids REALLY are idiots. Geez, I'm an idiot when I'm drunk and I'm no kid anymore.

Pretty disappointing to hear. The alcohol is one thing (I drank like a fish in college), but the theft is pretty alarming. Interested to see how this plays out.

You can say that again Diceman. I just hope these three survive this mess somehow. If not, there's always law school.

Originally posted by lilhwkgld:
Also, the KCRG article stated they were in possession of items from seven different reported burglaries???? Don't even try to chalk this up to kids getting drunk and making a bad choice. People that steal from others just make me sick, scum of the earth in my opinion.
I couldn't agree with you more. I have been a victim of Home Burglary. I lost approximately $8,000 worth of stuff from my home. It never was recovered. My family had to rebuild everything. I hate people who think they can just "Take" what they want from others without working hard and earning it. I will never be a fan of these 3 young men if they are allowed to stay on the team. This was a line you just should not cross.... Not any of us..... I hope they are kicked off the team.

I don't care if it was a young and dumb mistake. They should have thought about that before they did it. My heart is hardened because of my own experience but I hope they get the book thrown at them. Nothing (not even Alcohol) gives them the right to go into other people's houses and steal their belongings. This is a Felony charge. They will be facing jail time if convicted.

I know some of you will tell me we should wait to see how it plays out before passing judgement. The article on KCRG said they were in possession of items that were reported as stolen from some of the other residents, plus their car was a match of the description that was reported by people who called the Police.

To me - if it walks and talks like a Duck, than it must be a duck. If they had the stuff in their car than that is an easy case to close as far as I am concerned...
This post was edited on 3/23 3:54 PM by BIG10MANIAC

Originally posted by ghoopin:

I live in Marion. The police here are not a problem unless you are being a dumbass. As a resident, I wouldn't want it any other way. They do the job. Never had a single problem with the Marion police. When people do stupid things, they are all over it in no time. Very little crime here and what does happen, they extinguish it quickly.
Baloney Marion cops are about the most aggressive jerks in the state. They are infamous for lying about reasons to pull people over and lie their asses off about it. As for the wrestlers I hope diceman is correct and it was just stealing signs or something along those lines which is bad but not more of college kids being idiots. The article mentioned clothing and sounds like maybe they were stealing from cars. This really sucks.

This post was edited on 3/23 3:55 PM by hawkeyesports92

Originally posted by SCHawkFan:

Burglary charges are pending against three University of Iowa wrestlers arrested on alcohol-related charges last week.
Marion Police Lt. Scott Elam said officers were called out to Hunters Ridge around 1 a.m. on March 18 for a theft-in-progress call. Officers were given the description of a suspect vehicle, which matched a vehicle seen in the area. The vehicle was driven by UI freshman Ross Lembeck, 19, of Lisbon. His passengers were 19-year-old freshman Seth Gross, of Apple Valley, Minn.; and 19-year-old freshman Logan Ryan, of Bettendorf.
All three grapplers were charged with possessing alcohol under the legal age. Lembeck was charged with drunken driving and Gross earned an additional charge of interference with official acts when he fought with officers.[/I]

Link
They could throw me in the slammer with a smile on my face if that chic on that link shared the cell with me.

Much crime is related to demographics rather than simply police presence. Marion has a similar population size to cities like Burlington and Ottumwa but without the rougher demographics. Most people that live in Marion are either working in small businesses or suburbanites to Cedar Rapids' jobs like Rockwell and TransAmerica. In the other cities you have a much higher percent of blue collar jobs.

Marion is nice primarily because they tax the lower income groups out of there. They have the highest property tax levy rate in CR including Hiawatha and Robbins.

I'm sure the Marion police do a great job but you sure can't drive downtown (their one primary road) without seeing at least one traffic (revenue) stop. My point was simply that they were asking to get arrested doing what they were doing in Marion.

This post was edited on 3/23 4:01 PM by CP84 2.0

Originally posted by hawkeyesports92:

Link
They could throw me in the slammer with a smile on my face if that chic on that link shared the cell with me.
When I clicked on the link, it showed Ronda Rousey...more than likely, she'd kick your ass and take your smokes off of you.

Much crime is related to demographics rather than simply police presence. Marion has a similar population size to cities like Burlington and Ottumwa but without the rougher demographics. Most people that live in Marion are either working in small businesses or suburbanites to Cedar Rapids' jobs like Rockwell and TransAmerica. In the other cities you have a much higher percent of blue collar jobs.

Marion is nice primarily because they tax the lower income groups out of there. They have the highest property tax levy rate in CR including Hiawatha and Robbins.

I'm sure the Marion police do a great job but you sure can't drive downtown (their one primary road) without seeing at least one traffic (revenue) stop. My point was simply that they were asking to get arrested doing what they were doing in Marion.
You are exactly right. We were driving home one night with a designated driver. Our driver pulled over to use his phone. He pulls out and gets pulled over a few minutes later. The cop accused him of swerving and using his phone which were both untrue. That was their lie to pull us over hoping for some OWI revenue. The cop apologized once he found out the driver wasn't drinking or using his phone.

Originally posted by Azchief32:

Originally posted by hawkeyesports92:

Link
When I clicked on the link, it showed Ronda Rousey...more than likely, she'd kick your ass and take your smokes off of you.
No it wasn't that trailer broad It was a hot chic on the side of the page.

So now we have two posters that have called these kids "scum of the earth". Seriously people? You have no idea what the whole facts are so pipe it down before you start making them sound like they were out raping and murdering. I remember when my buddies and I went and grabbed the first flag from a golf course and hung it on our wall. If it's something like this that happened, it's different then if they were breaking into people cars/houses and robbing them. Lets hear what happened before you start being judge and jury about who these three are and what their punishment should be. Hell even if they were doing something way more sinister and illegal then kids doing "kids" things, yea they should be booted from the team but "scum of the earth"? There must be a lot of perfect citizens on this board to throw out references like that for what has happened. I'm as disappointed to read what happened as the next guy but wow, just wow to some of the reactions on here.

Totally unrelated to the facts of this case, Marion police do target people, mainly young adult males, and come up with untrue reasons to pull them over and search for cannabis. My two nephews who work late hours at the local HyVee are tired of getting pulled over...

Originally posted by lakeguy641:

So now we have two posters that have called these kids "scum of the earth". Seriously people? You have no idea what the whole facts are so pipe it down before you start making them sound like they were out raping and murdering. I remember when my buddies and I went and grabbed the first flag from a golf course and hung it on our wall. If it's something like this that happened, it's different then if they were breaking into people cars/houses and robbing them. Lets hear what happened before you start being judge and jury about who these three are and what their punishment should be. Hell even if they were doing something way more sinister and illegal then kids doing "kids" things, yea they should be booted from the team but "scum of the earth"? There must be a lot of perfect citizens on this board to throw out references like that for what has happened. I'm as disappointed to read what happened as the next guy but wow, just wow to some of the reactions on here.
To be honest with you, I don't care how I make them feel. They apparantly didn't care about how the people felt they burglarized or the Police Officer they fought with or the lives they put in Danger when they decided to drive while intoxicated, or the laws they broke when they were in possession of a substance they were not old enough to possess.

This has nothing to do with the fact they are wrestlers or crazy college kids. They are over 18, that makes them LEGAL ADULTS so they get the same anger and criticism that I or YOU would give to anyone who put innocent people in danger when they got behind the wheel and drove a car. They don't get a pass because they are kids. They don't get a pass because they wrestle for the Iowa Team. I have two 16-year-old kids who are new drivers. What if they wrecked into my kids, or your kids?

They broke the law, that legally makes them criminals. Did they steal? Who knows. that has yet to be proved but they did drive while drunk and they did fight with a Police Officer. That makes them unfavorable to me. They can work hard and earn back good favor but right now they have earned and deserve to sleep in the bed they made. The cops aren't stupid. If charges are pending then there is some pretty good evidence against them.

I get your point about people seeing how this plays out before throwing the rope over the tree and I agree. However unless I missed it no one called them anything. Only commentary on the stupid/poor decision making has been said, which I think we can all agree would be true at this point.

I should have prefaced my posts with waiting until more information comes out before hanging these kids. We should all wait for the facts to come out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT