ADVERTISEMENT

Three wrestlers arrested

"Scum of the earth" was not only used to describe them by one poster but agreed upon by the other. Grown men sitting behind their computers and throwing around comments like that about three teenagers is taking it a little to far in my opinion. Also "cops aren't stupid"? LOL you my friend have way too much respect and faith in your Marion police. I know two Marion police officers and I'm not saying they're not great guys, they are, but there is a reason they are not lawyers or doctors.......... It just makes me wonder how tall of a ladder you must need to get on some of those horses you obviously ride around on.

Once again, I agreed with everyone and after all the facts come out and they were out drunk robbing people and fighting cops all night, yea show them the door obviously. Lets see what all comes out about this before you get your pitch forks and torches out.

Go Hawks

I understand we are getting to be a pretty lazy society but read the link not just the paraphrase from the OP. 7 burglaries in the area, in their vehicle found clothes and a briefcase. I'll let the fact play out but this appears to be a little more than "look at what I found" night from of drinking.

And drinking and driving is the stupidest ands selfish things a person could do. It is a crime. There should be no

leniency for a crime that is entirely preventable. And for those of you that think it is not that big of a deal, that is the same attitude that is being passed onto our next generations. This is why people are in OWI accidents, killing and/or injuring mothers, children etc. And those that kill or injure others can't believe that they are facing consequences for their actions.

Originally posted by lilhwkgld:
Also, the KCRG article stated they were in possession of items from seven different reported burglaries???? Don't even try to chalk this up to kids getting drunk and making a bad choice. People that steal from others just make me sick, scum of the earth in my opinion.
Speaking as someone who fairly recently experienced a break in and theft...I wonder what their "range" was? Maybe they got some of my stuff??

As for the young men...wow, just wow! How can you be so foolish? Forget whether or not you will be wrestling for the Hawks, or anyone else, in college now...you just slammed yourself with a record that just about every future employer in the universe will be able to access and will use to weed out the final candidates in job situations. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

The only thing this does is give us something more to talk about after last week. The 3 kids were out being assholes on St Patrick's Day/night. They were not targeted or anything. They were "having fun" not. They got caught and I hope pay their debt to society. Wrestling career is on hold. I will be surprised if they are in school on September 1, of 2015. Let me change that, they will be in school but not at Iowa. Would not be surprised to see them surface at Upper Iowa or one of the Minny DII schools.

Two things jump out that are pretty tough to explain away, first they are University of Iowa students and this happened in Marion which is a good 45 minutes or more from campus. second burglarized items were found in their possession. Sounds like these guys are up poop creek without a paddle and deservedly so. I'd be very surprised if any of the three ever wear a Hawkeye singlet.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Lembeck if from Marion. Depends what the items were, who's car it was etc. At this point I don't think anyone really knows what will happen.

Originally posted by BIG10MANIAC:
Originally posted by lakeguy641:

So now we have two posters that have called these kids "scum of the earth". Seriously people? You have no idea what the whole facts are so pipe it down before you start making them sound like they were out raping and murdering. I remember when my buddies and I went and grabbed the first flag from a golf course and hung it on our wall. If it's something like this that happened, it's different then if they were breaking into people cars/houses and robbing them. Lets hear what happened before you start being judge and jury about who these three are and what their punishment should be. Hell even if they were doing something way more sinister and illegal then kids doing "kids" things, yea they should be booted from the team but "scum of the earth"? There must be a lot of perfect citizens on this board to throw out references like that for what has happened. I'm as disappointed to read what happened as the next guy but wow, just wow to some of the reactions on here.
To be honest with you, I don't care how I make them feel. They apparantly didn't care about how the people felt they burglarized or the Police Officer they fought with or the lives they put in Danger when they decided to drive while intoxicated, or the laws they broke when they were in possession of a substance they were not old enough to possess.

This has nothing to do with the fact they are wrestlers or crazy college kids. They are over 18, that makes them LEGAL ADULTS so they get the same anger and criticism that I or YOU would give to anyone who put innocent people in danger when they got behind the wheel and drove a car. They don't get a pass because they are kids. They don't get a pass because they wrestle for the Iowa Team. I have two 16-year-old kids who are new drivers. What if they wrecked into my kids, or your kids?

They broke the law, that legally makes them criminals. Did they steal? Who knows. that has yet to be proved but they did drive while drunk and they did fight with a Police Officer. That makes them unfavorable to me. They can work hard and earn back good favor but right now they have earned and deserve to sleep in the bed they made. The cops aren't stupid. If charges are pending then there is some pretty good evidence against them.
False. Being charged with a crime does not legally make them criminals. Such a distinction turns on convictions. Calling them something that they are not (or not yet at the least) is pretty childish. Let's see this play out before jumping to conclusions.

Originally posted by ArabHawk:

Originally posted by BIG10MANIAC:
Originally posted by lakeguy641:

So now we have two posters that have called these kids "scum of the earth".  Seriously people? You have no idea what the whole facts are so pipe it down before you start making them sound like they were out raping and murdering.  I remember when my buddies and I went and grabbed the first flag from a golf course and hung it on our wall.  If it's something like this that happened, it's different then if they were breaking into people cars/houses and robbing them.  Lets hear what happened before you start being judge and jury about who these three are and what their punishment should be.  Hell even if they were doing something way more sinister and illegal then kids doing "kids" things, yea they should be booted from the team but "scum of the earth"? There must be a lot of perfect citizens on this board to throw out references like that for what has happened.  I'm as disappointed to read what happened as the next guy but wow, just wow to some of the reactions on here.
To be honest with you, I don't care how I make them feel. They apparantly didn't care about how the people felt they burglarized or the Police Officer they fought with or the lives they put in Danger when they decided to drive while intoxicated, or the laws they broke when they were in possession of a substance they were not old enough to possess.

This has nothing to do with the fact they are wrestlers or crazy college kids. They are over 18, that makes them LEGAL ADULTS so they get the same anger and criticism that I or YOU would give to anyone who put innocent people in danger when they got behind the wheel and drove a car. They don't get a pass because they are kids. They don't get a pass because they wrestle for the Iowa Team. I have two 16-year-old kids who are new drivers. What if they wrecked into my kids, or your kids?

They broke the law, that legally makes them criminals. Did they steal? Who knows. that has yet to be proved but they did drive while drunk and they did fight with a Police Officer. That makes them unfavorable to me. They can work hard and earn back good favor but right now they have earned and deserve to sleep in the bed they made. The cops aren't stupid. If charges are pending then there is some pretty good evidence against them.
False. Being charged with a crime does not legally make them criminals. Such a distinction turns on convictions. Calling them something that they are not (or not yet at the least) is pretty childish. Let's see this play out before jumping to conclusions. 

If you are going to paraphrase my quote, than highlite all of it. It says in my next sentence that their charges have yet to be proven. If proven guilty than they are by definition criminals. The article, which I am assuming comes from the police report said they were in possession of items reported missing from 7 break-in reports. It also said they were intoxicated and that Seth Gross fought with the police.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

While they shouldn't happen anywhere, they happen everywhere. No school or program is immune to having kids enrolled that do idiotic things like this. It's not a reflection of Iowa the school or the wrestling program. It sucks, though.

Big10 Maniac,

Highlighting* the rest of your post is unnecessary. You stated an absolute falsehood by claiming that they "broke the law" and therefore are "legally criminals." Regardless of whatever else you said, you called them something they are not (or not yet at least).

I have never heard of cops or media outlets or posters on Rivals overstate their case for effect. Hang um High!!!

Big10 Maniac,

Highlighting* the rest of your post is unnecessary. You stated an absolute falsehood by claiming that they "broke the law" and therefore are "legally criminals." Regardless of whatever else you said, you called them something they are not (or not yet at least).
ArabHawk - The Police would NOT have charged these Men with Possession of Alcohol or for Fighting with an Officer unless it actually happened. I am sure there were several Officers who saw the contents, items and the scuffle with Seth Gross. It's all in the article from the Police Report. You can also got to Iowacourts.gov and see the charges yourself and what each man was cited for.

I agree that the Theft charges are still technically unproven and pending but the Cops SAW the alcohol and the Fighting and made the charges. The Cops didn't just Make that up for good effect...

Just having alcohol while they are underage is a crime for them as well as fighting with an Officer. It is documented in the police report. That being said, they broke the law(s) and that makes them criminals. I realize you are innocent until proven guilty in a court of Law and I also realize that a Judge has not ruled yet on the theft charges, but when the Police Officers themselves have witnessed the stolen items, alcohol, and the fight, not to mention provided a positive ID for each person and it has been reported on just about every Major, credible media outlet...99% of the time you are as good as screwed!!!

This post was edited on 3/23 7:01 PM by BIG10MANIAC

Again, you are wrong. Allegedly breaking the law does not make you a criminal. Being convicted of breaking the law does. I'm not sure what is difficult to grasp about that distinction?

I would guess that the conviction rate for any crime is lower than 99% - even in the scenario you have laid out (I say you because I have not read the police report and am not sure whether you have or not).

Obviously the information is still being gathered, even by the police themselves, otherwise the burglary charges would be settled.

You are really venturing into presumptuous territory here by relying on a police report and/or media reports. There are so many cases where the evidence appears "clear cut" and "slam dunk" but convictions still do not occur because the legal system is extremely complex and difficult to predict.

Lastly, if all cases were tried in the media then our prisons would be even more overpopulated than they already are.

This post was edited on 3/23 7:17 PM by ArabHawk

The writer of the post assumed that he fought with police because of the charge, but these cops deal with so much that the kid could have barely done anything and gotten charged interference with officials. So the notion that he was fighting with these cops needs to be dropped until a full story is verified... sure he could have fought, but chances are knowing how many of these charges happen, the boy possibly didn't do all that much with the fighting. The buglery is still pending, truthfully I didn't even know you they could release pending cases... seems wrong and messed up. But, who knows what really happened, who knows besides those boys... there is probably so much more going on than this post lets on, so until this case is closed and the boys are proven guilty (even still we can't be certain what the truth is)- just give the boys a break with the judgement... once all is said and done, knock yourselves out by talking poorly about these boys if that's really how you want to live your life. I'm sure these boys, one, two , or all three regret what happened that night and feel ashamed (which doesn't make it okay). But they are likely dealing with so much right now with the situations that you guys all sitting here judging them doesn't make it better. I'm not saying pity the kids, or excused them for anything they have done, clearly they are not innocent of everything by any means... but I doubt any of you know the full story(unless you are the detective or heard the full story from one of the boys). Maybe all these boys, or some of them, go out and drink and do this on a regular basis and don't get caught and in that case, that's messed up. But knowing the reputation and the character of one of these boys, it's possible that this was just a stupid, stupid night, filled with a stupid mistake that they can't take back... does that ruin his entire character or make him a terrible person that should lose everything? I don't think it should. Let me clarify that I'm not saying they should get off free and they shouldn't have any punishment because regardless of what really happened, obviously they were involved in some way with whatever went down and that deserves repercussions, but some of you honestly need to give this a break.

Ya cops never make up charges about being assaulted and fought. They also never lie about bloodshot watery eyes, slurred speech, and odor of alcohol permeating from the car.

Originally posted by z190:

I understand we are getting to be a pretty lazy society but read the link not just the paraphrase from the OP. 7 burglaries in the area, in their vehicle found clothes and a briefcase. I'll let the fact play out but this appears to be a little more than "look at what I found" night from of drinking.

And drinking and driving is the stupidest ands selfish things a person could do. It is a crime. There should be no

leniency for a crime that is entirely preventable. And for those of you that think it is not that big of a deal, that is the same attitude that is being passed onto our next generations. This is why people are in OWI accidents, killing and/or injuring mothers, children etc. And those that kill or injure others can't believe that they are facing consequences for their actions.
And in other breaking news, man has landed on the moon.

As a former parole officer, if they are involved in multiple burglaries, they might do a little time.

I wonder what is in the briefcase......maybe they were trying to return the briefcase, kind of like A Dumb and Dumber movie scenario?!

If I were them, I'd call Captain Kirk (from Star Trek). He seems in good with a couple of lawyers from the Quad Cities.

Originally posted by hawkeyesports92:
Ya cops never make up charges about being assaulted and fought. They also never lie about bloodshot watery eyes, slurred speech, and odor of alcohol permeating from the car.
On this we can agree. And don't forget the invisible seatbelt.

Originally posted by lilhwkgld:
Also, the KCRG article stated they were in possession of items from seven different reported burglaries???? Don't even try to chalk this up to kids getting drunk and making a bad choice. People that steal from others just make me sick, scum of the earth in my opinion.
Just to clarify -- the article said several[/I], not seven[/I].

Originally posted by Tony Hawk:
Pure sign of selfishness. These three are gone. Buh bye fellas and good luck
I didn't know you were making the call on that, lol.

Again, you are wrong. Allegedly breaking the law does not make you a criminal. Being convicted of breaking
Not actually true. If you steal something and never get caught, you are still a criminal. If you steal something, get caught, then mange to avoid conviction because the case can't be proven -- you are still a criminal.

We don't know if these kids are criminals. But at this point that's where the smart money is.

I doubt Gross actually fought with officers, if he did he would have gotten an assault on a peace officer charge. You can get an interference charge for doing about anything. Having said that, being caught with stolen items in your possession means they are screwed, unless one of them takes the blame for it. The alcohol charges are meh.

What we can safely assume is if they are charged with a felony, they will be suspended from the team until the matter is resolved. If convicted, they will be gone for good. They are being investigated for some pretty serious crimes that certainly could put them in jail. If I were a betting man, I would bet they are done at the U of Iowa.

Originally posted by artradley:

Again, you are wrong. Allegedly breaking the law does not make you a criminal. Being convicted of breaking
Not actually true. If you steal something and never get caught, you are still a criminal. If you steal something, get caught, then mange to avoid conviction because the case can't be proven -- you are still a criminal.

We don't know if these kids are criminals. But at this point that's where the smart money is.
Well, you're not legally a criminal if no one knows you did it. Ethically, yes,

Originally posted by sloehawk:
On this we can agree. And don't forget the invisible seatbelt.
Ya or the wide turn. I actually agree with most things you post. You just rubbed me the wrong way on the wrong day and I let it become a pissing match.

Originally posted by CP84 2.0:
Of all the places to break the law in they had to pick the one town where there are more cops per capita than even Iowa City.

So they should've picked a town with less police, so they could steal things from other people and get away with it? Dark day for Iowa. Silly college antics is one thing, auto burglary speaks to your character. Unfortunately, if the story is accurately reporting, these three are NOT Iowa material. If true, none of these three will ever wear the Black and Gold again. Very unfortunate and foolish.

Originally posted by pablow:

Originally posted by dicemen99:
I wouldn't be too quick to rush to judgement here. The only thing they have been charged with is alcohol related, plus the interference with official act - which although the article states it was for fighting with officers, I doubt there was any real fight in the sense that you and I might think, otherwise the charge would have been more severe. Could have been just something a drunk kid would do.

In regards to the felony burglary - they haven't been charged with anything yet. If it turns out they've been running around ripping people off, well that's one thing. On the other hand, it could be a number of things that drunk college students tend to do, like signs or things that fall more into the vandalism range.

Most of the people on here have probably done some pretty stupid things when drunk at 19 years old. I get that they represent the university - as all athletes do - but you see this a lot of times with freshman in their first year away from home and constant supervision. Yes, they are adults, but they also make mistakes.

Hoping for their sake that this is more along the lines of possibly what I outlined above and nothing more serious for all of these kids' sake. When it comes to the effect on a wrestling team, it is minimal. Probably be a lesson well learned for all if it turns out to be less severe than at first glance - which I suspect it to be.
Good point. Kids are idiots. When I was in college I pulled a parking meter out of the sidewalk [cement and all] and carried it a mile, over my shoulder, back to dorm - [put it in the floor shower, of course]. But I wasn't stealing - I just hated parking meters. Still do.,

This post was edited on 3/23 3:27 PM by pablow
Theft- Defined as the taking and asportation (moving) of the property of another. Sorry, Pablow you were stealing. Depending on the value of the meter, you feloniously stole. Don't worry though, the statute of limitations is likely up, so you're good.
tongue.r191677.gif

Yeah you're probably right 92. What probably happened is that when the caller called the police and said (lied) he/she saw somebody breaking into cars and then fleeing, the officers stopped said vehicle found nothing and decided on the fly to plant stolen property in the car. Then they figured it probably be more believable if they lied and said that the three college students that they were framing for auto theft were drunk, so drunk that one of them resisted them.

You're right that's much more plausible than what we've read.

Originally posted by Chuck C:
I doubt Gross actually fought with officers, if he did he would have gotten an assault on a peace officer charge.
I find it hard to believe a Hawk would have taken a shot on the officer either.
More likely that he just got him in a collar tie and pushed him to the edge of the road.

Originally posted by Rudderless:
I doubt Gross actually fought with officers, if he did he would have gotten an assault on a peace officer charge.
More likely that he just got him in a collar tie and pushed him to the edge of the road.
2213457-1463162_1454965_1277057585222_super.jpg

Originally posted by so cal hawkfan:
Yeah you're probably right 92. What probably happened is that when the caller called the police and said (lied) he/she saw somebody breaking into cars and then fleeing, the officers stopped said vehicle found nothing and decided on the fly to plant stolen property in the car. Then they figured it probably be more believable if they lied and said that the three college students that they were framing for auto theft were drunk, so drunk that one of them resisted them.

You're right that's much more plausible than what we've read.
The point, which flew way over your head, is that we shouldn't make judgement based solely on the police report since they are often fabricated to an extent. Especially concerning drinking and interference charges.

Originally posted by Rudderless:

Ouch...

ADVERTISEMENT