ADVERTISEMENT

Three wrestlers arrested

My take. Stupid move. Stealing from someone is a deplorable act that should be punished. Stealing is a very personal crime that is an exclation of negative choices. If left unpunished it continues to be an option for that person. DUI is a deal breaker for me. You risk the people in your vehicle as well as anyone who happens to be on the road as well. (Car or walking). It can have mortal and permanent consequences.

Having said all that, the only people who know the real details are the cops, kids themselves, family and a few people at the university. I have enough trust in the UI people to take the information and apply the rules. They will do the right thing. (Sometimes when we disagree with what is released as the punishment but typically there are details we don't know that affect the decision. We don't have the right to know everything). It is on Toms desk and he will do what needs to be done. I am ok with that.

Lastly, we can easily take what we see as a slice of what people do or a small sample of their behavior and label them a scum or whatever. Anyone's right to think what they want. For me it was a scummy act but not necessarily a scummy person. Good people can make a reprehensible choice that they have to find a way to make up for. If what we know is true it was bad. Before writing them off as bad people lets wait to see how they try to overcome it before giving them the scarlet letter. This is my opinion and only my opinion.

Originally posted by Sidenote:
I know that they are white, from great families, love Jesus and whatever, but breaking into people's property is a scumbag move. You can write it off as kids being kids, that's your opinion, I disagree. Drunk driving is an extremely selfish act and I've seen burglaries psychologically scar families.
If they weren't white, I'd agree, but since they're white, I think they deserve a pass.

I hope these three get another chance to stay on the team simply because they have Tom and Terry as coaches. I think TnT can be nothing but great influences on these three, who happen to be in their first year. If they were juniors and had been in the room for 4 years, I would want them gone, if the charges were true.

Originally posted by WWDMHawkeye:
I know that they are white, from great families, love Jesus and whatever, but breaking into people's property is a scumbag move. You can write it off as kids being kids, that's your opinion, I disagree. Drunk driving is an extremely selfish act and I've seen burglaries psychologically scar families.
If they weren't white, I'd agree, but since they're white, I think they deserve a pass.
Are you joking? Because they are white you truly believe they deserve a pass?

Originally posted by HoundedHawk:

WDM had no idea it would be this easy.

Originally posted by SPOONER:

Originally posted by HoundedHawk:

WDM had no idea it would be this easy.
Well, at least I did ask if he was joking.

I should have used this photo.

No-country-for-old-men-tommy-lee-jones-25069727-450-276.jpg

This post was edited on 4/5 10:35 PM by HoundedHawk

He is joking, but there is a clear evidence that white people have a bias towards blacks when it comes to crimes (example, majority white juries will convict a black male at a higher rate than a white male with the same charges and evidence.)

We all consciously and subconsciously profile everyday. I for one, imagine every poster on this board is a white male who uses chewing tobacco and has an affinity for camo clothing unless I know otherwise.

I have a question, just out of curiousity, what if these guys all get good lawyers get it pled down to say possession under the legal age all wrapped up nice and tidy. should they be allowed to continue on the iowa wrestling team? evan though they may be guilty of what they are currently accused of.

Originally posted by wasdt21:

I have a question, just out of curiousity, what if these guys all get good lawyers get it pled down to say possession under the legal age all wrapped up nice and tidy. should they be allowed to continue on the iowa wrestling team? evan though they may be guilty of what they are currently accused of.
Give it a rest.

He is joking, but there is a clear evidence that white people have a bias towards blacks when it comes to crimes (example, majority white juries will convict a black male at a higher rate than a white male with the same charges and evidence.)

We all consciously and subconsciously profile everyday. I for one, imagine every poster on this board is a white male who uses chewing tobacco and has an affinity for camo clothing unless I know otherwise.
Maybe, but get over it.

The US is the least racist country in the World. If you've traveled at all, or aware of international issues, you'd know that.

Today's news has the Rolling Stone story on UVA completely discredited. Those white Frat boys (mind you, I was a GDI, and no frat lover) were vilified and condemned in the court of public opinion from a black woman accuser. And, in case you had not noticed, we do have a black President. Many believe he was elected for that very reason. Could be.

I detest and cringe at any evidence of racism, or use of the race card as an excuse for some failure or predicament. The last place I want to hear about this BS is on an Iowa Wrestling site.

"The US is the least racist country in the World. If you've traveled at all, or aware of international issues, you'd know that."

I can't let this comment stand because quite the opposite is true.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incarceration_in_the_United_States#Race

Originally posted by Fortunata:
"The US is the least racist country in the World. If you've traveled at all, or aware of international issues, you'd know that."

True, very very true

Wikipedia, if you watched 60 minutes last night, is not the end all be all to "fact"

http://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/press/pim09stpy09acpr.cfm

Here is our own Iowa:

http://www.prisonpolicy.org/profiles/IA.html

May I see your sources?

This post was edited on 4/6 3:06 PM by Fortunata

I fail to see how incarceration rates make our country racist. There are varying levels of incarceration among every single ethnic group. Does this mean that Asian Americans are the least discriminated against people in the US? No, it means that they are committing less crime.

Originally posted by 1stplacehawk:

I fail to see how incarceration rates make our country racist. There are varying levels of incarceration among every single ethnic group. Does this mean that Asian Americans are the least discriminated against people in the US? No, it means that they are committing less crime.
This, and you beat me to it.

Fort probably thinks Michael Brown is a martyr

Originally posted by bnicolls:

This, and you beat me to it.

Fort probably thinks Michael Brown is a martyr
This is my last post on the topic because I don't want to get in a pissing contest but I'll provide a little further support

Washington Post

There are clearly racist people in our country, but we compare favorably to many others

A follow up analysis of your Washington Post link.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2013/05/17/5-insights-on-the-racial-tolerance-and-ethnicity-maps-from-an-ethnic-conflict-professor/

There are clearly racist people in our country, but we compare favorably to many others
Bolded part. Anyone who can't see there are plenty of subtle and also not so subtle elements of systemic racism in our nation is deluding themselves.

This thread will go the way of the Pucillo thread soon...

F that N a few nights ago in a post game final four press conference proves a total double standard of racism in this country. If any other race made that mistake you would see Al Sharpton leading a protest and shaking down the university for money.

Anyway, as of today the wrestlers mentioned in the original post have only been charged with alcohol related offenses and nothing involving burglary or theft or anything of the like.

Originally posted by Cal98:

Bolded part. Anyone who can't see there are plenty of subtle and also not so subtle elements of systemic racism in our nation is deluding themselves.

Yes, there is, on both sides. However, I stand by my statement that this is the LEAST racist country in the world

Glad to hear the charges are simply alcohol and not theft for these young men. Bad enough, on to trial/plea

Originally posted by Cal98:

Seems to be the same crowd that continues to see systemic/white racism on every corner in America is now using the same playbook and screaming "Christian bigotry" (against homosexuals) at every opportunity. Oh, what joys await our country in the coming years. What double-standards will crop up from the loud voices who will continue to see bigotry against homosexuals anywhere and everywhere? Perhaps we will see a quota system where companies will be forced to interview and hire a certain percentage of homosexuals. This will be a lot of fun. "Don't ask don't tell" has predictably--for some-- turned into "I'm gay and you're a bigot." Shouldn't there be openly gay coaches as well as athletes in college wrestling? How many will be needed to fit the quota? Who will be the first NCAA D1 Wrestling Coach to come out? Will bi-sexual coaches count towards the needed quota totals? Tough questions, yes. But they need to be answered. Right?

Cal98 to your point: I agree there is systemic racism in this country, and it is indeed perpetuated by certain groups that want the status quo. But it is not the groups you were taught to hate in school. The biggest systemic form of racism in this country is social WELFARE checks. Fact. Generational welfare is as you say, systemic racism. A vote against social welfare for the able bodied is a vote against racism. You can feel good about that the next time you vote against a politician calling for new or renewed hand outs to the able bodied. Welfare checks are the most poisonous chains in our society today.

The rest of this thread is ruined by one stupid remark^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hawksox...if you're talking about WDM, he was very clearly being snarky at the nice liberal boy's post about affluent white boys getting good lawyers.

Geesh. Welfare checks don't go to abled bodied people. They go to dependent CHILDREN, disabled, and elderly. Yah, you may have some anecdotal stories about individuals ripping off the government. It amounts to nothing compared to the CEO's on Wall Street who were bailed out to the tune of millions by the government.

Geesh. Welfare checks don't go to abled bodied people. They go to dependent CHILDREN, disabled, and elderly. Yah, you may have some anecdotal stories about individuals ripping off the government. It amounts to nothing compared to the CEO's on Wall Street who were bailed out to the tune of millions by the government.
Welfare checks don't go to able bodied people? You must be joking... if not... head meet sand.

Op please bounce this topic. This is way past wrestling now. Topic started off bad now is beyond ridiculous. Remove it.

Originally posted by Azchief32:
Wendy...really? It's all in the Cards.
Grandma was a Cubs fan...she kept score and everything. I had no choice. :)

Originally posted by sabula:

Welfare checks don't go to able bodied people? You must be joking... if not... head meet sand.
Welfare has done more to destroy the family unit of low/no income earners than any other dynamic by far.

The gummerment was the cause of the 2008 financial crash by promoting no down/liars loans mainly thru its two henchmen, Freddie and Fannie. While I detest Wall Street, no firm that I know of got fat thru a bail out. Some who were bailed out should have been left to fail, but there were ulterior motives involved too. One would be GM (Gummmerment Motors) saving union jobs.

Let's stop the political bickering here

Partisan political back-and-forth may have its place, (emphasis on may) but it shouldn't muck up the wrestling board. Please go to HROT. I was hoping to find some updates about "Three wrestlers arrested," which is the titled subject of the tread.

Re: Let's stop the political bickering here

Originally posted by overeasy:

Partisan political back-and-forth may have its place, (emphasis on may) but it shouldn't muck up the wrestling board. Please go to HROT. I was hoping to find some updates about "Three wrestlers arrested," which is the titled subject of the tread.
My comments are in response to what was posted previously. Thanks for your advice, but can't let it go. Skip over it if you don't like it would be my advice to you

Originally posted by Wendy79:

Well heck, since this thread is so far off course....

I sat in my Grandparents' den as a child and kept a scorebook for many, many Cubs games with my Grandma. To this day I am a Cubs fan above all else (ok, maybe tied for #1 with Hawkeye FB, BB, and wrestling). I am really bummed to no longer have games on WGN nationally.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by dirt33:

I sat in my Grandparents' den as a child and kept a scorebook for many, many Cubs games with my Grandma. To this day I am a Cubs fan above all else (ok, maybe tied for #1 with Hawkeye FB, BB, and wrestling). I am really bummed to no longer have games on WGN nationally.
My grandmother tried to dress me in girls cloths.

Great stuff Chief. Always enjoy your stuff. I wont go into details but I can pinpoint an exact time in my life that has pretty much determined where I stand in this world to this day. Dont get me wrong, I'm happy, have a great family but that one moment has caused struggles that I wouldn't have neccasarily had. Im a somewhat spiritual person, believe God has a plan for me and I've always looked at that one moment in time as just a small part of that plan. True, at times I wished maybe it wouldnt have ever happened. But who knows, maybe if it didnt happen my life could have very well turned out worse.. Or maybe I wouldnt even be around anymore..

Originally posted by dirt33:

That is a bummer, indeed. I have great memories of watching the Cubs on WGN and the Braves on WTBS (as they used to call it) all summer. On any given day, one of the two ballclubs was almost always on TV.

Re: Let's stop the political bickering here

Originally posted by bnicolls:
Originally posted by overeasy:

My comments are in response to what was posted previously. Thanks for your advice, but can't let it go. Skip over it if you don't like it would be my advice to you
I wasn't speaking directly to you, but to all. My humble request stands.

Yeah.. It was the Cubs and Braves. Heck, even living here in western PA, those two teams were on more than the Pirates back then..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT