ADVERTISEMENT

Tim Lester the Messiah

Of course we choose the worst of the two final options. Welp, I give up. I held out hope, but it's clear Kirk is our curse until he leaves. It's his ship, and I was fool thinking anything would be different. Lester's resume is very unimpressive and does not inspire any kind of confidence.

Man this sucks.

You're going first
southpark.gif

I’ll reserve judgement until I see the product on the field. Some of you are gonna have a miserable 8 months pissin and moanin about it.
I agree with you but there’s some other issues at play here. The fans are already pissed about the offense, pissed about the way the season ended, and now you make what even the biggest homers can’t deny is an extremely underwhelming hire. How long do you think it’s going to take for the knives to come out if things start going sideways? Plus with inflation/cost of living the way it is people aren’t going to continue blindly buying tickets and giving money to the university.

Of course we choose the worst of the two final options. Welp, I give up. I held out hope, but it's clear Kirk is our curse until he leaves. It's his ship, and I was fool thinking anything would be different. Lester's resume is very unimpressive and does not inspire any kind of confidence.

Man this sucks.
agreed... 😥

I agree with you but there’s some other issues at play here. The fans are already pissed about the offense, pissed about the way the season ended, and now you make what even the biggest homers can’t deny is an extremely underwhelming hire. How long do you think it’s going to take for the knives to come out if things start going sideways? Plus with inflation/cost of living the way it is people aren’t going to continue blindly buying tickets and giving money to the university.
Really. Inflations been ramped up ever since the current admin, has been in office, and our offense has been craptastic the last couple of years at least, and that didn't drive fans away. Is it your thought that the vocal minority on this board are the ones buying tickets, because thats not the case.....

Reactions: jo12208
Really. Inflations been ramped up ever since the current admin, has been in office, and our offense has been craptastic the last couple of years at least, and that didn't drive fans away. Is it your thought that the vocal minority on this board are the ones buying tickets, because thats not the case.....
No disrespect but you have no way of knowing who is buying tickets and you have no way of knowing what percentage of fans fall into the “vocal minority.” Anecdotally, most fans I personally know are ready to move on from KF. You’re correct that the fans haven’t been driven away yet but everyone has a breaking point.

Reactions: spiderland
No disrespect but you have no way of knowing who is buying tickets and you have no way of knowing what percentage of fans fall into the “vocal minority.” Anecdotally, most fans I personally know are ready to move on from KF. You’re correct that the fans haven’t been driven away yet but everyone has a breaking point.
No I don't know, AND neither do you, hence my point. Simply that I'm in no way convinced the few dozen unhappy fans who post here are "the voice" of Iowa fans. Ticket and gear sales say otherwise......

Like I stated, I don't have any idea how Lester will do but I'm not going to worry about it right now. It really doesn't matter who was hired. Those that piss and moan are gonna piss and moan. It's their natural reaction to everything.

Hell, he has the same talent to work with that the previous OC had. Do we even know if the skilled players can adjust and make plays they didn't before or will the O-line show up and get back to the quality that we all have seen over the years at IOWA. If the O-line continues to struggle, the major problem is still there. If they want to stew over it for 8 months, they have plenty of experience. I'm "HOPING" that in the meantime the changes can be absorbed by those already on campus. The wounded are fully healed, and the transition is a smooth one, with the bugs being worked out in fall practice before the season starts.

One thing that is as inevitable as the sun rising in the east and setting in the west are that some of the experts on here will never be happy with what they see on the field. It is what it is.

Reactions: CerroGordoHawk
Still think he will be better than BF. Maybe he’s developed a lot since what went bad at Syracuse. He’s probably at like 800k a year?

We will have to see how this works out. I was hoping for a more flashy hire. I am hoping for the best.
Everyone wants all the razzle dazzle stuff.
But Iowa isn't very sexy but still have won many games over thee yrs and put a lot of players in the NFL.
Hoping for the best also.

Everyone wants all the razzle dazzle stuff.
But Iowa isn't very sexy but still have won many games over thee yrs and put a lot of players in the NFL.
Hoping for the best also.
A program of Iowa's size had the resources to pull in a big hire that would actually move the needle, and instead we're going for a former MAC HC who hasn't sniffed the B1G since CJB was lighting it up. That's not razzle dazzle, that's the hope for a big boy program to make a big boy move ahead of the biggest and most competitive conference realignment in years (decades?).

I think most of us would take a B1G championship over having a bunch of guys in the NFL at this point, too.

A program of Iowa's size had the resources to pull in a big hire that would actually move the needle, and instead we're going for a former MAC HC who hasn't sniffed the B1G since CJB was lighting it up. That's not razzle dazzle, that's the hope for a big boy program to make a big boy move ahead of the biggest and most competitive conference realignment in years (decades?).

I think most of us would take a B1G championship over having a bunch of guys in the NFL at this point, too.
I actually want a playoff appearance over a BIG Champ. 2/3 units are at a level to be a perennial top 12 team. Unfortunately this Offense pulls the program down to top 25 level. I have posted this before but if this offense continues to be incredibly boring and inefficient the committee will find a way to leave Iowa out of a playoff.

Reactions: hawkandroll
I never understand why the homers bring up NFL players every chance they get. Obviously that’s great for those players but KF’s job is to win games for Iowa not be a AAA team for the NFL. Plus by bringing this up they’re inadvertently proving that Iowa has underperformed given the number of NFL players on the roster.

I never understand why the homers bring up NFL players every chance they get. Obviously that’s great for those players but not be a AAA team for the NFL. Plus by bringing this up they’re inadvertently proving that Iowa has underperformed given the number of NFL players on the roster.
LOL, So you stoop to calling me a homer like a child. All I did was post some of Kirks accomplishments over the years. You say, KF’s job is to win games for Iowa not be a AAA team for the NFL.
Look at his record over the years and tell me e doesn't win games.
As a coach how are you doing in the won loss collum? Any players from your team in the NFL?

I actually want a playoff appearance over a BIG Champ. 2/3 units are at a level to be a perennial top 12 team. Unfortunately this Offense pulls the program down to top 25 level. I have posted this before but if this offense continues to be incredibly boring and inefficient the committee will find a way to leave Iowa out of a playoff.
A conference championship would solve that issue. They wouldn't be able to leave them out. But I don't see them winning that anytime soon, and not at all under Kirk.

I never understand why the homers bring up NFL players every chance they get. Obviously that’s great for those players but KF’s job is to win games for Iowa not be a AAA team for the NFL. Plus by bringing this up they’re inadvertently proving that Iowa has underperformed given the number of NFL players on the roster.
It doesn't seem to help Iowa's recruiting, anyway.

A conference championship would solve that issue. They wouldn't be able to leave them out. But I don't see them winning that anytime soon, and not at all under Kirk.
Yeah thats why I say playoff. I think getting in somewhere between #5-#12 is way more likely than winning the BIG. Ya know offense depending.....

LOL, So you stoop to calling me a homer like a child. All I did was post some of Kirks accomplishments over the years. You say, KF’s job is to win games for Iowa not be a AAA team for the NFL.
Look at his record over the years and tell me e doesn't win games.
As a coach how are you doing in the won loss collum? Any players from your team in the NFL?
Ah, yes, the classic, “Well you’re not a coach so you’re not allowed to have an opinion.” Super mature. I also never called you anything, you’re the only one who did that. You say look at the record and at a glance, sure, W-L record is decent but when you realize that three games every year against the MAC or some other G5 conference and Iowa State the shine starts to wear off. No conference title since 2004 (shared but that’s not KF’s fault) and his only BCS/NY6 win is the 2010 Orange Bowl; his other two appearances being blowout losses. Three appearances in the Big Ten Championship game: 0-3 with two blowouts. My apologies but that isn’t some earth shattering record for the best coach in school history.

Ah, yes, the classic, “Well you’re not a coach so you’re not allowed to have an opinion.” Super mature. I also never called you anything, you’re the only one who did that. You say look at the record and at a glance, sure, W-L record is decent but when you realize that three games every year against the MAC or some other G5 conference and Iowa State the shine starts to wear off. No conference title since 2004 (shared but that’s not KF’s fault) and his only BCS/NY6 win is the 2010 Orange Bowl; his other two appearances being blowout losses. Three appearances in the Big Ten Championship game: 0-3 with two blowouts. My apologies but that isn’t some earth shattering record for the best coach in school history.
Adding onto that his win against GA Tech isn't impressive. The option offense is notorious for not being effective if the opponent has 2+ weeks to prepare. Tom Osborne himself has a losing record in bowl games. So yes you are 100% correct, Kirk really hasnt been earth shattering

Who were the hom
Didn't say you couldn't have an opinion. In your opinion who could be the coach you feel could attain all your goals as a coach and win the national championship.

Last edited:
Who were the hom

Didn't say you couldn't have an opinion. In your opinion who could be the coach you feel could attain all your goals as a coach and win the national championship.
A national championship? Nobody outside of Saban or someone else on that level. A conference championship? Those guys are out there but with the new Big Ten it’s going to be crazy hard for anyone to get there outside of Michigan and OSU. Kirk’s best chance at the Big Ten title was the past two years and they shit the bed both times. Iowa’s new goal, in my opinion, is getting to the playoffs and from there who knows what can happen.

Reactions: ButtersHawk
The inflation rate is back to normal at 3.4%, fyi. The interest rates were painful for many but were the right call to dampen what would have been runaway inflation due to pandemic economics.

Next season I would like eight wins and an offensive touchdown scored in every game as a minimum.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT