ADVERTISEMENT

Tom Dienhart Q&A with Kirk Ferentz

"I don’t know that things have changed a lot other than there are more avenues to make noise than there used to be."

Yeah, only the unused seats and poor ticket sales that has had Barta working overtime lately. Definitely because of Twitter and message boards.

Q: There seems to be some growing angst among the fan base. How are you dealing with that?
A: We aren’t happy either. I don’t know that things have changed a lot other than there are more avenues to make noise than there used to be. To me, it’s not as much about the numbers, seven wins or eight wins. It’s more about how the games go. The illustration I can give you is our last two home games. We lost to Wisconsin (26-24), not our desired outcome by any stretch. It was a great environment in Kinnick. It was two good teams really competing. A really good college football game. I don’t want to lose. But at least you can go home at night and sleep. -

Really? The division was pretty much on the line that day and you lost at home. Most coaches would be sick to blow that opportunity

Reactions: WeWantDiaco
Sadly, every time he opens his mouth recently, something comes out that makes me lose more faith/confidence/appreciation/etc in him.

You can go home and sleep at night--yes, in the end it's just a college football game--but can you at least lie and pretend to give a pooh?

Reactions: jurness
I think he is more speaking about how both teams played their best and Iowa still lost. If he felt that they somehow they hadn't played their best he wouldn't feel this way.

I seriously feel like people are just nitpicking anything and everything. At this point Kirk can't do anything right in some fans eyes. People just need to calm down. This coaching staff is going to be here for another year, so just get over it. Lets wait and see for another football season.

This fan base lives and dies off of wins and losses (and this season ended pretty badly). Doesn't anyone else remember how many people called for Fran to be fired halfway through this basketball season then they ended up having the best season in almost a decade? Ferentz is here for another year guaranteed so lets sit back and see what he can do.

I think he is more speaking about how both teams played their best and Iowa still lost. If he felt that they somehow they hadn't played their best he wouldn't feel this way.

I seriously feel like people are just nitpicking anything and everything. At this point Kirk can't do anything right in some fans eyes. People just need to calm down. This coaching staff is going to be here for another year, so just get over it. Lets wait and see for another football season.

This fan base lives and dies off of wins and losses (and this season ended pretty badly). Doesn't anyone else remember how many people called for Fran to be fired halfway through this basketball season then they ended up having the best season in almost a decade? Ferentz is here for another year guaranteed so lets sit back and see what he can do.

You are right. He can do no right in some eyes and well deserved. They have plenty of horsepower to do so and this whole ho hum, it's just a game mentality is viral. The program is stale. KF just riding that 75% buyout at this point.

I don't think he is saying we should be happy, his point is that there is nothing he could say to make us happy. It is pointless to complain about him saying exactly what we expect him to say.

Until they win, we are mad. Nothing else matters in respect to Iowa football right now.

I don't think he is saying we should be happy, his point is that there is nothing he could say to make us happy. It is pointless to complain about him saying exactly what we expect him to say.

Until they win, we are mad. Nothing else matters in respect to Iowa football right now.

Not true in the slightest.

"I am stepping down as head football coach for the University of Iowa. As much as I love the football program, I no longer see myself able to contribute the necessary time and effort to run a successful football program. I have accepted a restructured settlement with Gary that allows me to retire for 10% of my remaining buyout and have committed to help with future fundraising events for the Athletics Department and University of Iowa Children's Hospital. Please help me in welcoming the new football coach for the University of Iowa, Bob Stoops."

I would be very ecstatic.

I don't feel like parsing his quotes with all the stuff he says that makes me roll my eyes but it's pretty clear to me that the highs of the Ferentz era are over with and it's just a matter of how long this goes on before he either retires or Iowa buys out his contract.

These jobs take a tireless worker to spend countless hours recruiting and selling the program, and it's no surprise that other coaches that have been on the job 1/4 to 1/2 the time Coach Ferentz has are passing him by.

I read nothing in this interview to bitch about. Honest answers to the question asked. Anyone thinking they are more frustrated than him, or the staff has screws loose. A lot of loose screws in a fanbase

Reactions: ichawk24
After 17 years, Ferentz has shown his coaching acumen, so it's not like we're waiting to see what he does next. Some of his teams have been good, but mostly mediocre. He sounds like he's as tired of the fan base as they are of him.
Time for a change for everybody, maybe.

Would love to hear why we should be happy?
Because you're an Iowa fan g** damn it!

01310323-owned_gif.gif

Reactions: ThatsFootball
Anyone thinking they are more frustrated than him, or the staff has screws loose.

I don't give a crap if Kirk and staff are "frustrated". They don't get to be "frustrated". One (e.g. fans) only gets to be "frustrated" if one does not get the results desired due to events beyond one's control. Kirk fell asleep at the switch, and now wants to be "frustrated" at the resulting train wreck. Sorry, sir, you were the one at the switch.

Not true in the slightest.

"I am stepping down as head football coach for the University of Iowa. As much as I love the football program, I no longer see myself able to contribute the necessary time and effort to run a successful football program. I have accepted a restructured settlement with Gary that allows me to retire for 10% of my remaining buyout and have committed to help with future fundraising events for the Athletics Department and University of Iowa Children's Hospital. Please help me in welcoming the new football coach for the University of Iowa, Bob Stoops."

I would be very ecstatic.

No you wouldn't. YOu are a miserable little dude that spends his whole life complaining. If KF did exactly what you said you would be here bitching it took so long and how it will take years to recover. You won't be happy with anything. I can guarangoddamntee you that. You've posted enough since KF's comment that gave your name, your 250th name I might add.

You can't be happy. You have no idea what that concept is even like. I'm sure there is some psychology there that would fascinate somebody but to me you are just hysterical. A funny little angry SOB.

Reactions: ichawk24
No you wouldn't. YOu are a miserable little dude that spends his whole life complaining. If KF did exactly what you said you would be here bitching it took so long and how it will take years to recover. You won't be happy with anything. I can guarangoddamntee you that. You've posted enough since KF's comment that gave your name, your 250th name I might add.

You can't be happy. You have no idea what that concept is even like. I'm sure there is some psychology there that would fascinate somebody but to me you are just hysterical. A funny little angry SOB.
Typical heat dawg post. I shouldn't bother, but I will.

1) I would be happy with the statement above. Thrilled even. Don't believe that, to each their own.

2) This is my second handle. My first wasn't banned, just decided to go with something more appropriate for the football program.

3) I'm actually a pretty happy guy. Based on the posts I've seen from you, you're the one that appears old and miserable in life. I don't think I've seen a single positive post from you on either the football or basketball board whereas I make the somewhat regularly (when they are deserved, probably don't see many for Kirk).

It is extremely funny/interesting to me that the main person to constantly complain about bitching in threads is in fact the poster with some of the lowest number of posts not involving bitching. But don't let me dissuade you, keep up the role of being one of the most despised posters on this board.

Reactions: eddie4star
Don't like KF being called the "Dean" of BIG coaches. "Dean" kinda suggests that he has achieved some intellectual level. No evidence that has happened, actually to the contrary.

Our defense got shredded on the ground and we did nothing at all on offense for 50% of the game.

That was "playing our best" huh?

Iowa's decline has coincided with the rise of Minnesota.

Demonstrably fallacious.

Iowa has had a better or equal record than Minnesota every single year since 2001, with the following exceptions:

2012 Iowa 4-8 Minnesota 6-7
2014 Iowa 7-6 Minnesota 8-5

All you've "risen to" is the same level of mediocrity that Iowa has been experiencing for the last 5 years. The two programs have not been on this equal of footing in 35 years. Minnesota has only "risen" to this level over the last 2 years, while Iowa has been stuck in this rut for the last 5.

What has actually killed Iowa are the ascension of Wisconsin and Michigan State. Those programs have actually accomplished things, something that Minnesota still hasn't done since the '60s.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guidotheguide
Better stick to cock fighting eddie!
I have to really laugh at some of you bozos on here. I have lived through the years that Iowa searched for a coach half as good as KF and I watch schools that have much more natural recruiting grounds than Iowa doing it now. I can 't say KF doesn't drive me crazy some times and Davis even more but car3eful what you wish for because the chance of getting a better coach is about 10% and each time we try after that it will get worse. The only reason we got HF to come to Iowa was the over loyal fan base and judging from this board I think that's gone.

I have to really laugh at some of you bozos on here. I have lived through the years that Iowa searched for a coach half as good as KF and I watch schools that have much more natural recruiting grounds than Iowa doing it now. I can 't say KF doesn't drive me crazy some times and Davis even more but car3eful what you wish for because the chance of getting a better coach is about 10% and each time we try after that it will get worse. The only reason we got HF to come to Iowa was the over loyal fan base and judging from this board I think that's gone.

We could literally pull the name of any high school or D3 coach in America out of a hat and they could go 7-5 against our weak-ass schedule. I don't know how stupid you have to be not to get that, but you're apparently a member of that very select group. Congratulations.

This is the mentality that holds this great university behind.

Reactions: EpenesaEpenesa
Demonstrably fallacious.

Iowa has had a better or equal record than Minnesota every single year since 2001, with the following exceptions:

2012 Iowa 4-8 Minnesota 6-7
2014 Iowa 7-6 Minnesota 8-5

All you've "risen to" is the same level of mediocrity that Iowa has been experiencing for the last 5 years. The two programs have not been on this equal of footing in 35 years. Minnesota has only "risen" to this level over the last 2 years, while Iowa has been stuck in this rut for the last 5.

What has actually killed Iowa are the ascension of Wisconsin and Michigan State. Those programs have actually accomplished things, something that Minnesota still hasn't done since the '60s.

So your saying they have been better than us 2 out of the last 3 years. Just sayin...

This is an interesting statistic and would love to see your link for this. I'm sure there is an overwhelming amount of data, right?

Q: There seems to be some growing angst among the fan base. How are you dealing with that?
A: We aren’t happy either. I don’t know that things have changed a lot other than there are more avenues to make noise than there used to be. To me, it’s not as much about the numbers, seven wins or eight wins. It’s more about how the games go. The illustration I can give you is our last two home games. We lost to Wisconsin (26-24), not our desired outcome by any stretch. It was a great environment in Kinnick. It was two good teams really competing. A really good college football game. I don’t want to lose. But at least you can go home at night and sleep.

So I'm guessing that he had trouble sleeping after getting curbstomped by mediocre MN & TN teams? I think the close losses are easier to handle, I actually watch the whole game rather than the just the 1st quarter. The blowout games I didn't even have time to get drunk enough to not care :(

So we as fans are supposed to be happy that KF admits he played a fullback at runningback for 3 years? Supposed to be happy that "its not about wins/losses, but how the game goes," or "at least you can go home at night and sleep," after losing a game they should of won. Or "thats football", "the ebbs and flows." Or the QB situation over the past year, don't think you can fumble that one any worse. What about we're a developmental program because we can't recruit top players.

Please tell me why fans should be happy? Sorry at least we're not ISU, oh wait, can't even beat them consistently anymore.

Reactions: WeWantDiaco
So we as fans are supposed to be happy that KF admits he played a fullback at runningback for 3 years? Supposed to be happy that "its not about wins/losses, but how the game goes," or "at least you can go home at night and sleep," after losing a game they should of won. Or "thats football", "the ebbs and flows." Or the QB situation over the past year, don't think you can fumble that one any worse. What about we're a developmental program because we can't recruit top players.

Please tell me why fans should be happy? Sorry at least we're not ISU, oh wait, can't even beat them consistently anymore.
Consistently? Hell, Kirk can't even beat them 50% of the time.

So your saying they have been better than us 2 out of the last 3 years. Just sayin...

Yes, they beat us by one game last year, and the other year, both teams finished under .500 (and we actually beat them on the field).

Just sayin.

Yes, they beat us by one game last year, and the other year, both teams finished under .500 (and we actually beat them on the field).

Just sayin.
Not going to get into which program surpassed who on such and such date argument, but should point out with the bolded part they played a much tougher schedule than us last year which included TCU and Ohio State. They also beat us by damn near 40 when we played them (could have been much worse) . When comparing the two teams last year, there was more to it than just "beating us by one game last year".

Not going to get into which program surpassed who on such and such date argument, but should point out with the bolded part they played a much tougher schedule than us last year which included TCU and Ohio State. They also beat us by damn near 40 when we played them (could have been much worse) . When comparing the two teams last year, there was more to it than just "beating us by one game last year".

Yes, they kicked our ass last year, which was not indicative of the actual gap between the two teams. Just like we weren't really 40 points better than Northwestern.

This renaissance that Minnesota is supposedly experiencing is just a myth. I will admit that their coaching staff is about a thousand times better than ours is, however.

Just sayin.

So we are 1-2 vs Minn over the last 3 years. Just saying...

Doesn't matter how you slice it. Minn has been better than us

So we are 1-2 vs Minn over the last 3 years. Just saying...

Doesn't matter how you slice it. Minn has been better than us

Actually, we have won 2 out of the last 3.

Doesn't matter how you slice it, you're just clueless here.

ADVERTISEMENT