ADVERTISEMENT

Tony Moeaki named honorary captain this week

Apr 8, 2003
CTpGxSIUkAAzzgy.jpg

IOWA CITY, Iowa - - Former University of Iowa tight end Tony Moeaki, a current member of the Atlanta Falcons, will serve as honorary captain Saturday as the fifth-ranked Iowa Hawkeyes host Minnesota in Kinnick Stadium (7:12 p.m., BTN).

Moeaki was a first team All-Big Ten tight end for the Hawkeyes in 2009. He had 30 catches for 387 yards and scored four touchdowns his senior season, leading Iowa to a school record 9-0 start and an eventual berth in the 2010 Orange Bowl. He had a team-high four catches for 85 yards, including a career-long 54 yard reception, in Iowa’s 24-14 win over ninth-ranked Georgia Tech, helping Iowa win its first BCS Bowl game in school history.

A native of Wheaton, Illinois, Moeaki was a first team prep All-American before joining the program in 2005. He was one of five true freshmen to play his rookie season, and he had 19 career receptions before making his first career start in the 2007 season opener. He started four games in 2007 before suffering a knee injury that cost him the rest of the season.

Moeaki returned to the field in 2008 in limited action, but entered his season season in 2009 on the John Mackey Preseason Watch List. He missed three games in his final season, but was still recognized as an honorable mention All-American by CollegeFootballNews.com. He was named a Permanent Team Captain and honored with the Hayden Fry Award following the season.

Moeaki was selected in the third round of the 2010 NFL Draft by the Kansas City Chiefs. He spent three-plus seasons in Kansas City, and has played parts of the last three years with Buffalo, Seattle, and Atlanta.

Moeaki will accompany the Iowa captains to the center of the field for Saturday’s pregame coin toss. He will also be with the Hawkeyes in the locker room before and after the game.

Saturday’s contest is sold out, but tickets remain for the home finale, Nov. 21, against Purdue. Those tickets are available online at hawkeyesports.com, in person at the UI Athletics Ticket Office in Carver-Hawkeye Arena, or by calling 1-800-IAHAWKS. A $25 youth ticket is available for the Purdue game.

Reactions: HawkeyeinOmaha
I'd like to see reenactments of his two TDs against Michigan in 2009's night game come Saturday night. I gotta feelin... tonight's gonna be a good, good night!

I'd like to see reenactments of his two TDs against Michigan in 2009's night game come Saturday night. I gotta feelin... tonight's gonna be a good, good night!

Ah, remember that and the song well. Very fun, would love to do it again, although I'm hoping it doesn't even remain that close. Although it could be similar, Minnesota trying to run with the QB who can't pass for beans and time running out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT