ADVERTISEMENT

Tony Petitti needs to step up

jimbob22

HR All-State
Nov 23, 2014
Petitti needs to say that the officials mishandled the game, and decided its outcome.

Carollo's interview, in the DM Register and St. Paul paper, is not sufficient. Do you really think Carollo is going to criticize his officiating team?. If he does, it reflects on him. (Carollo probably hired O'Dea, who has a history of blowing big calls. Assigning him to the Iowa-Minnesota game after he blew a big call in last year's game was poor judgment.)

The key issue is whether an invalid hand signal is reviewable. Carollo says it is, which is of course what he would say. He offers no supporting evidence, but is so seemingly confident that it makes me think he has real doubts.

Carollo says in the interview that officials try to use "common sense" in calling a game. In that respect, they without question failed. No one on the field, from officials, to players, to even the rules guru P.J. Fleck, noticed or were impacted by DeJean's hand movement. The replay guy in the booth (where is he from, by the way?) made the call. The lead official, O'Dea, had no recourse but to follow his direction? If O'Dea, a Nebraska guy, were a good official, he would have said, "Wait a minute..." He failed at that.

Petitti needs to at least stand up for what is right, and say that the Big Ten does not endorse the officials' conduct Saturday in Iowa City. That call could well decide who wins the Big Ten West.

Now I will await 30 or 40 Ferentz haters say that the offense, not the call, is the problem. It's like the '85 World Series. The Cardinals did not deserve to win it, but if Don Denkinger had made the right call in Game 6, the Cardinals, not the Royals, would have been world champs.

Petitti needs to say that the officials mishandled the game, and decided its outcome.

Carollo's interview, in the DM Register and St. Paul paper, is not sufficient. Do you really think Carollo is going to criticize his officiating team?. If he does, it reflects on him. (Carollo probably hired O'Dea, who has a history of blowing big calls. Assigning him to the Iowa-Minnesota game after he blew a big call in last year's game was poor judgment.)

The key issue is whether an invalid hand signal is reviewable. Carollo says it is, which is of course what he would say. He offers no supporting evidence, but is so seemingly confident that it makes me think he has real doubts.

Carollo says in the interview that officials try to use "common sense" in calling a game. In that respect, they without question failed. No one on the field, from officials, to players, to even the rules guru P.J. Fleck, noticed or were impacted by DeJean's hand movement. The replay guy in the booth (where is he from, by the way?) made the call. The lead official, O'Dea, had no recourse but to follow his direction? If O'Dea, a Nebraska guy, were a good official, he would have said, "Wait a minute..." He failed at that.

Petitti needs to at least stand up for what is right, and say that the Big Ten does not endorse the officials' conduct Saturday in Iowa City. That call could well decide who wins the Big Ten West.

Now I will await 30 or 40 Ferentz haters say that the offense, not the call, is the problem. It's like the '85 World Series. The Cardinals did not deserve to win it, but if Don Denkinger had made the right call in Game 6, the Cardinals, not the Royals, would have been world champs.
Why can’t it be both?

Nope. We have no way of knowing how the sixth game of the 1985 series would have turned out. The game might still be going.

Orta reached first to open the inning, then Balboni singled and Sundberg tried to bunt them over, but he hit into a fielder's choice, Orta out at third.

You can't determine what Sundberg would have done if there had been one out and pinch-runner Onix Concepcion (for Balboni) on first. Maybe Sundberg homers and the Royals win that way.

Even if Sundberg makes an out, and Concepcion is still on first with two outs, Worrell's wild pitch with McRae at the plate would have moved him into scoring position. McRae was intentionally walked then, and Concepcion scored the winning run in real life, or what would have been the tying run in St. Louis fantasy land.

At worst, the Royals tie the game and send it to extras.

Last edited:

I think real common sense here is that the powers-that-be did not want Iowa to win this game or they did not want them to cover the spread. To both make up the fact that an invalid fair catch is reviewable as well as "confirm" by "indisputable" evidence that it was an invalid fair catch is criminal, and, they absolutely knew the backlash that was going to ensue because they took an all-time play off the board for the HOME team. Possibly a play that would put a DB in the Heisman race. They had to know that everyone involved with overturning that play was going to have their name in lights but in the worst possible way. Everyone knows who these people are now and national people are talking about how big of idiots they are. They also knew then and know now that their judgement call was in opposition of what the intent of the rule was suppose to protect. They have it coming and they cannot claim they couldn't have predicted that.

We have seen this same shit before. Just look at last year in the Michigan game with the personal foul penalty on Logan Jones or the "pick-play" by Bruce on the 4 yard line. That game was very reachable at that point and both of those plays were bullshit calls at critical junctures that do not get called ever. There is more to this story and Carollo certainly is not going to talk about that.

Common sense!!!??? There was ZERO common sense or spirit of the game or time and place...NONE, ZIP, NADA! That's the whole argument..sure, on a very technical level...perhaps it was the right call but nobody from the 22 players on the field to everyone on the sidelines, watching in Kinnick and watching on TV believed that a fair catch was signaled and you are lying if you say yes to this.

It erased a game winning TD, an epic moment in Kinnick and gut punched Cooper, Iowa and everyone involved. Refs and their bosses are speaking out both sides of their mouths on this and simply cannot admit it was blown as NO call was made on field yet somehow, someway replay had indisputable evidence from a SKY CAM view that showed a waving hand. That is stupid beyond belief unless we are playing sky cam football with players levitating above one another.

This game, as stated may decide the West in a bad fashion but lest we forget that if the East ends up in a 3 way tie IIRC this would have impacts on PSU/Mich/OSU as well, what a mess those idiots caused on Saturday afternoon.

Back in the day, Budweiser commercials featured two lizards, Frank and Louie.
Louie, the small, mouthy one, was generally pissed at their competitors, the 3 frogs (Who croaked "Bud" - "Weis" - "Er.").
Once Frank took Louie to task for hiring a hitman for a (botched) assassination attempt against the frogs.
The advice that Frank gave to Louie, that he SHOULD have taken, was "Just let it go, Louie. Just let it go." We need to do likewise and move on. You know, kind of like "Just let it go, Cesspool. Just let it go."

I think real common sense here is that the powers-that-be did not want Iowa to win this game or they did not want them to cover the spread. To both make up the fact that an invalid fair catch is reviewable as well as "confirm" by "indisputable" evidence that it was an invalid fair catch is criminal, and, they absolutely knew the backlash that was going to ensue because they took an all-time play off the board for the HOME team.
I sure hope nothing is found out about your idea of "common sense" that higer ups in the Big 10 and perhaps TV network would actively mention, even in very small circles, that it would be good to perhaps make it so Iowa doesn't win the West and play in the Big Champ Game. I dont think this happened although a long time ago I used to think NBA playoff games were a bit rigged so that playoff series would go to a game 6 or 7.

This type of thing happening would be so crude and awful to the spirit of fair play, sportsmanship, etc. Let's hope this would not be true.

I sure hope nothing is found out about your idea of "common sense" that higer ups in the Big 10 and perhaps TV network would actively mention, even in very small circles, that it would be good to perhaps make it so Iowa doesn't win the West and play in the Big Champ Game. I dont think this happened although a long time ago I used to think NBA playoff games were a bit rigged so that playoff series would go to a game 6 or 7.

This type of thing happening would be so crude and awful to the spirit of fair play, sportsmanship, etc. Let's hope this would not be true.
I completely agree with you. However to me, there is just way too much evidence that supports the fact that some calls are made or not made at crucial times in crucial games to fit an organized agenda. With the massive amount of money involved in sports in general there is certainly a financial incentive to skew an outcome if it is advantageous and within the margin of judgement.

None of us know exactly what happened and we will never know for that matter. It could have come down from the top. Or, it could be that the referees, who are still human and could have a bias, made that judgement as well. Or something else. But the bottom line is that they set a new precedent where they egregiously changed a call without explicit, concrete documentation to support the ability to do it. What I mean by that is that it is not explicitly written in the replay rules that an invalid fair catch is reviewable. They clearly state that a fair catch and an invalid fair catch are two separate things, so there is a gray area there whether it can be reviewable or not. In every case I can think of the officials have went to the side of not over-turning something like that at the time, but later amend the rule to explicitly account for it. So this is new and I cannot believe they put themselves out there on this walking plank on their own just because they judged it to be an invalid fair catch. It is a massive step outside of the rule book any way you want to look at it.

Reactions: hawkdo
I completely agree with you. However to me, there is just way too much evidence that supports the fact that some calls are made or not made at crucial times in crucial games to fit an organized agenda. With the massive amount of money involved in sports in general there is certainly a financial incentive to skew an outcome if it is advantageous and within the margin of judgement.

None of us know exactly what happened and we will never know for that matter. It could have come down from the top. Or, it could be that the referees, who are still human and could have a bias, made that judgement as well. Or something else. But the bottom line is that they set a new precedent where they egregiously changed a call without explicit, concrete documentation to support the ability to do it. What I mean by that is that it is not explicitly written in the replay rules that an invalid fair catch is reviewable. They clearly state that a fair catch and an invalid fair catch are two separate things, so there is a gray area there whether it can be reviewable or not. In every case I can think of the officials have went to the side of not over-turning something like that at the time, but later amend the rule to explicitly account for it. So this is new and I cannot believe they put themselves out there on this walking plank on their own just because they judged it to be an invalid fair catch. It is a massive step outside of the rule book any way you want to look at it.
Oh you are correct about the amount of money involved. Especially TV and gambling.

And I dont disagree with you about the circumstances of this call being made as I was the one who started that first thread right after the game ended calling this the worst call I had ever seen in 60+ years of watching college football. There are many reasons why this bothers us fans and one of which is this happens a lot on punt returns yet it is never announced, hardly ever. And the rule is so subjective as to leave open the door to mis-use, incorrect action by officials

You people are truly delusional. That call(which was 100% correct)didn’t decide the game. The gophers still would have had about 90 seconds with timeouts left to win the game. We have no idea what would’ve happened. Even after the call(which was 100% correct) Iowa still had tons of time to move 20 yards for a field goal and went backwards instead.

Oh you are correct about the amount of money involved. Especially TV and gambling.

And I dont disagree with you about the circumstances of this call being made as I was the one who started that first thread right after the game ended calling this the worst call I had ever seen in 60+ years of watching college football. There are many reasons why this bothers us fans and one of which is this happens a lot on punt returns yet it is never announced, hardly ever. And the rule is so subjective as to leave open the door to mis-use, incorrect action by officials
If they had seen it and whistled the play dead nobody would be talking about it right now.

Indulge yourself and go watch the replay again. This time don't watch Cooper or the Minnesota players. First, you will see the back judge right behind Cooper and to his left in perfect view of his left hand. He never once changes demeanor or goes for his whistle. Then, watch the 2 line judges, one of which was in perfect view from behind Cooper and one from in front. They were ready with their whistles but only watching for his feet. Then you had a line judge and another referee signal touchdown. I am not sure what O'Dey did because I can't see him on any clip.

My point is that there were 2 referees in prime position to see Cooper call for any fair catch and a third that was in front of him. They had all the views covered. And none of them made any gesture that it was an invalid fair catch. So then it goes to a review and those three referees were told they were dumb asses because they didn't whistle it dead. You had 3 referees that exercised their judgement that it was not a fair catch and then you had the main referee and the replay official and the B1G exercise their judgement that it was an invalid fair catch. Which by definition makes it disputable.

Talk about throwing your fellow referees under the bus. But it was worth it to someone to do that, to call out your fellow brothers on national television, in an epic game-changing and probably winning play, by the pre-season defensive player of the year in the conference and top NFL pick, at home for god's sake. This fraternity of referees is very prideful, so much so that is the main reason the associations resisted replay in the first place because it called them out when they were wrong. And here in a situation like this they did it to three of them. It wasn't because it was the right call, that is not enough to demean your brothers like that, it was more than that.

It was a very shitty call, but I think most coaches will say don't leave the outcome of the game up to officials. Go out and take care of business and you can survive a shitty call like this.

Time for Iowa DCI to investigate the officials with the same depth and tenacity that it investigated players For gambling on games. There is too much smoke here with Iowa being a 3.5 favorite

You people are truly delusional. That call(which was 100% correct)didn’t decide the game. The gophers still would have had about 90 seconds with timeouts left to win the game. We have no idea what would’ve happened. Even after the call(which was 100% correct) Iowa still had tons of time to move 20 yards for a field goal and went backwards instead.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT