ADVERTISEMENT

Tough Night in Ames

Yes, former. But both were on the team that just finished playing. Does Hoiberg turn them back over to society and the normal police after they leave the team?

Has really nothing to do with Hoiberg. He's got bigger issues right now. And they're not his responsibility anymore. Just like McCabe wasn't Fran's responsibility this time last year.

Originally posted by mstp1992:
I don't find the linking of someone's significant medical issues with the antics of a couple of college-aged men even remotely humorous despite their recent association.
that's not how I took it. I took it as a 'cat was away the mice will play', type of thing. no-one at home to babysit or get advance calls before the cops are brought in.

Originally posted by Quintana:
I don't find the linking of someone's significant medical issues with the antics of a couple of college-aged men even remotely humorous despite their recent association.
that's not how I took it. I took it as a 'cat was away the mice will play', type of thing. no-one at home to babysit or get advance calls before the cops are brought in.
Why would Fred be babysitting a kid that is transferring and a kid that no longer plays even if he was at 100% health?

Originally posted by Cydkar:

Why would Fred be babysitting a kid that is transferring and a kid that no longer plays even if he was at 100% health?
only pointing out that in the past there have been arrangements with players, the coach and the authorities. one of that equation was absent at the time. you can make your own inferences.

Originally posted by wanderer85:
Any coincidence Hoiberg prepares for heart surgery at Mayo and back home, two of his players arrested on the same night?

http://www.iowastatedaily.com/sports/article_c1512cc8-e509-11e4-9a72-a3fe8e57ba9f.html?mode=jqm

http://www.cip2c.com/InmateDetail.as...48482895820522
I don't know the intricacies of OWI laws as well as I once did, but that seems like a raw deal for Hogue. One would think that the "O" in OWI would need to be satisfied in order to warrant an arrest, and certainly a conviction. What if he walked to his car, realized he had a few too many, and was going to sleep it off in the front seat until morning? Unlikely, but prove that was not the case.

This post was edited on 4/17 1:30 PM by BondHawk

This is the inference I was making. Cat's away. But as another poster brought up, I would guess the arrangements with police probably end with the end of eligibility. Probably why BDJ was never seen in Ames again (or ever will be).

Originally posted by BGHAWK:
Originally posted by Lone Clone:
Former players.
We all know the clones would be calling them former Hawks with the situation reversed.
I have not criticized misbehavior by Hawkeye athletes for several years. I swore off that tit-for-tat stuff when an ISU defensive back got off light, early in Rhoads tenure.

There's no point in it. The next time it's always your own turn.

Originally posted by BGHAWK:
Former players.
We all know the clones would be calling them former Hawks with the situation reversed.
I have not criticized misbehavior by Hawkeye athletes for several years. I swore off that tit-for-tat stuff when an ISU defensive back got off light, early in Rhoads tenure.

There's no point in it. The next time it's always your own turn.
and we like you a lot more because of it...
happy.r191677.gif

Originally posted by BondHawk:

Originally posted by wanderer85:
Any coincidence Hoiberg prepares for heart surgery at Mayo and back home, two of his players arrested on the same night?

http://www.iowastatedaily.com/sports/article_c1512cc8-e509-11e4-9a72-a3fe8e57ba9f.html?mode=jqm

http://www.cip2c.com/InmateDetail.as...48482895820522
I don't know the intricacies of OWI laws as well as I once did, but that seems like a raw deal for Hogue. One would think that the "O" in OWI would need to be satisfied in order to warrant an arrest, and certainly a conviction. What if he walked to his car, realized he had a few too many, and was going to sleep it off in the front seat until morning? Unlikely, but prove that was not the case.

This post was edited on 4/17 1:30 PM by BondHawk
Pretty sure if he's in the driver's seat and the keys are anywhere there, he's busted. They don't have to be in the ignition, or in his hand.
Had a friend who's son got dinged for that, almost exactly. Been a few years, but pretty sure that was the deal.

And Fred has no responsibility here whatsoever.

I do wonder, though, if the season is over, aren't players (at all schools) still on scholarship, unless they drop out? EVen a player that is going to transfer is still on scholarship until he's gone. If school is over, then yes, a coach or athletic dept. has no responsibility of sorts . But still on scholarship, there should be some sort connection between them. Not, bye, Joe, I hardly knew ya.

And of course, the local papers like to headline "former Podunk player arrested in LA, or similar.

Originally posted by IamHawkeye:
I do wonder, though, if the season is over, aren't players (at all schools) still on scholarship, unless they drop out? EVen a player that is going to transfer is still on scholarship until he's gone. If school is over, then yes, a coach or athletic dept. has no responsibility of sorts . But still on scholarship, there should be some sort connection between them. Not, bye, Joe, I hardly knew ya.

And of course, the local papers like to headline "former Podunk player arrested in LA, or similar.
Do you hold Fran accountable if A. White were to get a DUI tomorrow night? I sure as hell don't. But I'm not one to have faux outrage like so many people do (not talking about Hawk fans).

Do you hold Fran accountable if A. White were to get a DUI tomorrow night? I sure as hell don't. But I'm not one to have faux outrage like so many people do (not talking about Hawk fans).

Do you hold Fran accountable if A. White were to get a DUI tomorrow night? I sure as hell don't. But I'm not one to have faux outrage like so many people do (not talking about Hawk fans). What a way to skew my words. I mean, some here are posting as if when a season is over there is no connection whatsoever with a former athletic dept, they don't even drop by to say Hi. Fran went out to Portsmouth when Gabe did. I'm sure other head coaches would, too. . My only fault was using the word "responsibility." The responsibility is on the person who was arrested. But players still on scholarship are still part and parcel of the sport they played.

Hope the surgery went well. Fred's may be head chauffeur of the Clown Car but heart surgery might even transcend school loyalty.

The team and coach aren't responsible for the player's misconduct, unless they promoted it or concealed it.

The OWI laws are absurdly too harsh, unrealistic and unfair. One would think operation might be defined like it is in the dictionary but believe me, that term has a ridiculously broad meaning in OWI prosecutions.

The clones like to dish when an Iowa guy gets in trouble, so we need to remind them it happens everywhere including Ames.

Why does Hoiburg get a free pass all the time? He has brough in several queationable recruits, many have had issues.

Lol...

I guess Urban Meyer should be held accountable for Former player Aaron Hernandez actions...

Kirk Ferentz for Tyler Sash actions...

It is like Joe Paterno being held accountable for Sandusky's actions...

You people are idiots!

Originally posted by maxstabs13:
Lol...

I guess Urban Meyer should be held accountable for Former player Aaron Hernandez actions...

You people are idiots!
Is this serious? I had you til Paterno dot dot dot

until the school year is done and classes are over...yes.

Sort of like when Hayden retired....

I do hope the surgery goes well. Freddie needs to stick around and watch first hand as his program is put on sanctions and he is run out of town. The police aren't always going to be there for his cover ups.

That is absurd. If players are disturbing the peace and quiet a coach should know so he can propose penalties if it happens again. Fred gave BDJ a one game suspension which wasn't even required in that situation and was for the Iowa game which was an important game for the Cyclones. If you want to compare Jok didn't even get an exhibition suspension when he was arrested not once but twice for OMVUI and in addition driving with a suspended license in the second arrest.

I wouldn't be so critical of a situation like BDJ because the Hawkeyes have had more serious skeletons in their closet.

Originally posted by Myvue:
That is absurd. If players are disturbing the peace and quiet a coach should know so he can propose penalties if it happens again. Fred gave BDJ a one game suspension which wasn't even required in that situation and was for the Iowa game which was an important game for the Cyclones. If you want to compare Jok didn't even get an exhibition suspension when he was arrested not once but twice for OMVUI and in addition driving with a suspended license in the second arrest.

I wouldn't be so critical of a situation like BDJ because the Hawkeyes have had more serious skeletons in their closet.
You are obviously too stupid to read about everything BJ did leading up to those charges.

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/04/18/five-members-of-iowa-states-2014-15-team-have-been-arrested-after-two-more-arrests-this-week/

Originally posted by maxstabs13:
Lol...

You people are idiots!
Take your ketchup and mustard glasses off and see the pattern in ames.

only pointing out that in the past there have been arrangements with players, the coach and the authorities. one of that equation was absent at the time. you can make your own inferences.
Can you post a link to said arrangements?

Why are players getting arrested if there are said arrangements?

You have your facts wrong, son.

Former players.
A walk-on from this season still attending IA State as a student and current scholarship player - Hogue is still on scholarship, right? Or does that end the day they lose the NCAA game?

That said, Hogue was guilty of stupidity. And bad judgement. Not really a surprise to me as without their babysitters, Cyclone athletes seems to get in trouble. And even with them sometimes.

Hogue certainly was guilty of very bad judgement and I hope it doesn't happen again. Did you condemn Jok with the same gusto as you are doing against Hogue who at least realized he wasn't capable to drive and parked his vehicle. And also did you condemn Jok even more when he committed the same offense a second time who was also driving with a suspended license from the first episode because he was driving while under the influence. Did you ever notice when a young person of college age or a little older comes up missing they almost always were seen in the wee hours of the morning in a bar or just leaving a bar. I wonder why that is? Alcohol and drugs are at the route of most evil but so many don't seem to realize that soon enough.

Hogue certainly was guilty of very bad judgement and I hope it doesn't happen again. Did you condemn Jok with the same gusto as you are doing against Hogue who at least realized he wasn't capable to drive and parked his vehicle. And also did you condemn Jok even more when he committed the same offense a second time who was also driving with a suspended license from the first episode because he was driving while under the influence. Did you ever notice when a young person of college age or a little older comes up missing they almost always were seen in the wee hours of the morning in a bar or just leaving a bar. I wonder why that is? Alcohol and drugs are at the route of most evil but so many don't seem to realize that soon enough.
Congratulations on your vigilance but you can say it another 100 times and it still won't make it true. Nice WOB though.

ADVERTISEMENT