ADVERTISEMENT

Travis Rutt

Chopper25

HR All-State
Mar 13, 2014
This may have been discussed in the 5 page Mark Hall thread, but didn't want to read through it all.

Does anyone know if he worked with Mark Hall or any other big Minnesota recruits while in his previous position?

This may have been discussed in the 5 page Mark Hall thread, but didn't want to read through it all.

Does anyone know if he worked with Mark Hall or any other big Minnesota recruits while in his previous position?
I would assume he's worked with several of the really good Minnesota kids at one time or another. He worked for Pinnacle Wrestling, which is located in the Twin Cities Metro in Shoreview, and worked with the Minnesota Storm Wrestling Club (which is primarily Greco I believe, but probably do some Freestyle as well - I think Zach Sanders is part of it - not sure if he dabbles in Greco or not). Their website had several articles about some Minnesota kids making Cadet Worlds and things of that nature (Greco and Freestyle), so I presume they've had some contact with some of them. Former Gophers Jared Lawrence and Brandon Paulson are co-owners apparently, so it stands to reason they have some activity with several really good Minnesota High Schoolers.

I thought I read he was hired as the Interim strength and conditioning coach? With the word interim, does that mean he is just here temporarily?

I believe other wrestling positions also started out as interim like M* and Zadick.

My understanding is that the Athletic Department doesn't have to follow all of the University policies regarding candidate searches if they make an interim hire. (30 day job posting, minimum number of candidates interviewed, etc.)
They will hire an interim position with the understanding that in (1? 2?) years they will either hire a different person as interim or open the position for advertising. If the latter, the person already in the interim position is a shoo-in once they apply. They have all the requirements and have already demonstrated that they will be successful in the position.

Reactions: nu2u
My hope is that Rutt can work closely with Brooks on the upper body throws. Help him win those matches he lost last year after being thrown to his back. I would love to see him finish up a high AA.

My hope is that Rutt can work closely with Brooks on the upper body throws. Help him win those matches he lost last year after being thrown to his back. I would love to see him finish up a high AA.

You read my mind! We know he has the strength to do it too

My understanding is that the Athletic Department doesn't have to follow all of the University policies regarding candidate searches if they make an interim hire. (30 day job posting, minimum number of candidates interviewed, etc.)
They will hire an interim position with the understanding that in (1? 2?) years they will either hire a different person as interim or open the position for advertising. If the latter, the person already in the interim position is a shoo-in once they apply. They have all the requirements and have already demonstrated that they will be successful in the position.
I don't think Zadick would agree that the interim is a shoo in for the job.

I think it was Brands telling him to wrestler smarter after losing late to Oky State, and it consequently took Brooks out of his game. I don't think it had anything to do with Brooks needing extra work on upper body throws.

I think it was Brands telling him to wrestler smarter after losing late to Oky State, and it consequently took Brooks out of his game. I don't think it had anything to do with Brooks needing extra work on upper body throws.

Yes I'm sure that one comment ruined him. He went on to win his next 5 matches including whippings delivered to Pfarr and McCutcheon. But yeah, that statement clearly killed him the rest of the year. Had nothing to do with running into the 1 and 3 seeds at the NCAAs.

Yes I'm sure that one comment ruined him. He went on to win his next 5 matches including whippings delivered to Pfarr and McCutcheon. But yeah, that statement clearly killed him the rest of the year. Had nothing to do with running into the 1 and 3 seeds at the NCAAs.

Yeah, because I said it ruined him.

Brooks injuring himself at National Duals combined with losses to the 1 and 3 seed at nationals may have been factors.

But I do see your point, it seemed that after OSU dual, Brooks seemed to get away from his throws and trips more, which was part of what made him so dynamic. Although I thought he still looked pretty good the whole season, just had a few minor rough spots.

I expect Brooks to be top 5 this season.

If you can't tell, that's a you problem.

So tell me again how Brands messed him up given the matches immediately following and the quality of wins. And you know Brands forced him to ditch the upper body stuff? (Never mind that it didn't go away)

So tell me again how Brands messed him up given the matches immediately following and the quality of wins. And you know Brands forced him to ditch the upper body stuff? (Never mind that it didn't go away)

The immediate matches: Beats Reyes, who goes 1-2 at NCAAs, Sliga: Non Q, Pfarr: 1-2, Gardner: Non Q, McClutchen Ok good win. Then gets beat by Albounader. Not seeing an impressive display with that 5.

Sure he's got a win against courts and Albounader in tournament action, but if you don't think that the Brooks that started 15-1 prior to meeting Boyd, and the Brooks that showed up after that were two different guys, then you weren't paying attention. I do remember him get banged up but I thought that was around National Duals, I still think the high flying Sammy Brooks went away after meeting Boyd.

Many of the best MN athletes practice at Pinnacle. Apple Valley guys tend to go to Minnesota Elite which is run by former Gopher Chad Erickson. Hall spends a majority of his time out of season at OTC as u all are aware. Rutt has definitely had some exposure to some of the best talent in MN.

Reactions: wasdt21
The immediate matches: Beats Reyes, who goes 1-2 at NCAAs, Sliga: Non Q, Pfarr: 1-2, Gardner: Non Q, McClutchen Ok good win. Then gets beat by Albounader. Not seeing an impressive display with that 5.

Sure he's got a win against courts and Albounader in tournament action, but if you don't think that the Brooks that started 15-1 prior to meeting Boyd, and the Brooks that showed up after that were two different guys, then you weren't paying attention. I do remember him get banged up but I thought that was around National Duals, I still think the high flying Sammy Brooks went away after meeting Boyd.
For sure Sammy went in like a lion and out like a lamb as the season progressed. Whatever the reason, it sucked. He was a lot of fun to watch for awhile there. Hope to see more of THAT Sammy in the future.

The mullet has really captured your heart, has it Rusty?
Lots of reasons why Sammy may have slowed from the start of the season to the end. Injuries? Full grind of a season?? 1 and 3 seeds??? Put me in the camp that I doubt it was one comment from Brands. A full season under his belt, lessons learned at the big show, Rutt in his corner and in the room; color me excited to see Sam in the upcoming season. I fully expect to see him come out with the mullet on fire, throwing guys around and bouncing their faces off the mat with some hard snaps out of the ties!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT