ADVERTISEMENT

Tyler Cook

StormHawk42

HR Legend
Nov 3, 2009
Will reportedly cut his list to 6 schools on Wednesday. Guess we'll see if we are up there with his presumed favorites of KU and Mizzou.

The fact that Iowa offered Benson recently does not give me a warm feeling about Cook.

Will reportedly cut his list to 6 schools on Wednesday. Guess we'll see if we are up there with his presumed favorites of KU and Mizzou.
Even though we might not get Cook, soon we'll be getting these types of players and when we do it will be a great era.

Someone tweeted last week that his top three are Missouri, Kansas and Florida. I don't remember who.

Someone is just reading the 247 recruiting board. 247 Basketball coverage is the People magazine of sports journalism. I would not buy their services. Their crystal ball has a serious crack in it.

Mizzou has been average to below average since moving to the SEC and MBB HC Kim Anderson is not an inspiring coach. It is his first D-1 HC job(up from D-2) at 58 years old. Mizzou was a bit surprised at Haith's leaving so abruptly. Haith did not have positive things to says about the MBB support at Mizzou. The Mizzou roster does not have many instate recruits of any star caliber.

Kansas's offer is based on Tyler being an immediate star. Kansas will have other PFs of equal or higher "status" in recruiting sights. Tyler is probably top 75, maybe top 60 at present time. Florida is a another name dropper.

Tyler has been in IC and Carver a couple of times and has enjoyed himself. Fran was one of the first to offer and Fran has made a very strong effort to land Tyler's talents. Fran has offered a fellow HS teammate (soph2B) Jericole Hellums and Iowa has been recruiting Tyler very hard. Iowa has early PT. Tyler is good friends of 2017 Michael Porter and 2018 Jontay Porter ( Tyler may be dating Michael and Jontay's older sister who is going to play WBB at Mizzou next year. Porter is former Iowa WBB alumni Lisa Becker married last name).

CEWUXdpUEAAnGZ3.jpg:large

What did I say about Kansas. I going bet that Florida hires John Pelphrey as new coach because of current recruits over any chance at Archie Miller. Fran is going to have to continue his push to win over Tyler but B1G basketball ( and Iowa BB over Mizzou BB) is a better product than SEC BB outside Kentucky. Fran is definitely a better coach than Kim Anderson. The wildcard of new assistant coach Tate ( former 16u AAU St. Louis Eagles) is a challenge. Tyler is at least a three year program guy if he continues to progress.

Last edited:
Hadn't heard his parents were Mizzou alums.

Well, if he wants to get a ton of PT next year (while playing for a 9 win team), Mizzou is the place.

So youre telling me theres a chance.

Kim Anderson is bringing in 2 PFs for next years club and that will make PT with a coach that likes a short bench (7 to 8 players) difficult for Cook as a freshman. Yes, Mizzou is close to home and family counts but I WOULD NOT bet the farm that Kim Anderson makes Mizzou a MBB winner.

He is not a dynamic recruiter and a lot of Mizzou fans scratched their heads when Mizzou's AD announced his name. There was better names available. A Legacy of Norm Stewart. Never bought into the Norm Stewart legend. After the 1981-82 club, Mizzou hardly advanced past the first NCAA tournament game and Norm coached during the Big 8 conference period where Kansas was the other power teams and Oklahoma and ISUcc were cruel jokes until Billy Tubbs and Johnny Orr arrived. The Big 12 has better coaches and talent today. Mizzou sold itself as a football school to the $EC ($econdary Educational Commitment).

Fran has some momentum now and a couple of NBA potential draftees (albeit second rounder). Iowa State's transfer program is not healthy for an incoming freshman seeking PTminutes. Arkansas's Mike Anderson left Mizzou and that hurt big time Mizzou fans.

I'd give Iowa a chance, maybe not Mizzou odds but Mizzou is not top 100 caliber at present. Iowa can offer PT and improvement.

Kim Anderson is bringing in 2 PFs for next years club and that will make PT with a coach that likes a short bench (7 to 8 players) difficult for Cook as a freshman. Yes, Mizzou is close to home and family counts but I WOULD NOT bet the farm that Kim Anderson makes Mizzou a MBB winner.

He is not a dynamic recruiter and a lot of Mizzou fans scratched their heads when Mizzou's AD announced his name. There was better names available. A Legacy of Norm Stewart. Never bought into the Norm Stewart legend. After the 1981-82 club, Mizzou hardly advanced past the first NCAA tournament game and Norm coached during the Big 8 conference period where Kansas was the other power teams and Oklahoma and ISUcc were cruel jokes until Billy Tubbs and Johnny Orr arrived. The Big 12 has better coaches and talent today. Mizzou sold itself as a football school to the $EC ($econdary Educational Commitment).

Fran has some momentum now and a couple of NBA potential draftees (albeit second rounder). Iowa State's transfer program is not healthy for an incoming freshman seeking PTminutes. Arkansas's Mike Anderson left Mizzou and that hurt big time Mizzou fans.

I'd give Iowa a chance, maybe not Mizzou odds but Mizzou is not top 100 caliber at present. Iowa can offer PT and improvement.

No, Norm Stewart isn't in the class of the all-time greats in college hoops, but he certainly had a career to be proud of, even after the 1981-82 season. After that season, Stewart made it to another 12 NCAA tournaments, includinga Sweet 16 and a Elite 8 appearance. And he won 3 conference titles in that time. Some early NCAA exits in that time period to be sure, but Norm was a very good coach.

As to Kim Anderson, he certainly started out rough. Mizzou was really bad this year, probably worse than most folks even imagined they could be. And they had additional transfers after the season. Another season of 2-3 conference wins and being non-competitive in most of will have the heat turned up. It looks as if Anderson is serious about bringing in talent by hiring Cook's AAU coach. He knows you can't win without talent.

What did I say about Kansas. I going bet that Florida hires John Pelphrey as new coach because of current recruits over any chance at Archie Miller. Fran is going to have to continue his push to win over Tyler but B1G basketball ( and Iowa BB over Mizzou BB) is a better product than SEC BB outside Kentucky. Fran is definitely a better coach than Kim Anderson. The wildcard of new assistant coach Tate ( former 16u AAU St. Louis Eagles) is a challenge. Tyler is at least a three year program guy if he continues to progress.
Maybe you should look at recent recruiting because the SEC is pulling in top talent and will be a better conference as soon as next year.

Missouri recently hired Cook's AAU coach as an assistant...:rolleyes:
Wasn't there a rule put in place a couple years ago that if a university hired an AAU coach to the staff that they were not allowed to recruit and player off that same AAU team for 2 years? Or am I just dreaming this up? If so, Missouri would not be able to recruit Cook and sign him.

Never rule out the home state school. Missouri will be in it until the end. Look at some of the top recruits in this year's class, Malik Newman stayed home and went to Mississippi State and there were others as well.

Florida is a strange one to keep on the list considering they don't have a coach right now and for the life of me I don't know why anyone would want to play for Virginia with that boring as heck offense.

Wasn't there a rule put in place a couple years ago that if a university hired an AAU coach to the staff that they were not allowed to recruit and player off that same AAU team for 2 years? Or am I just dreaming this up? If so, Missouri would not be able to recruit Cook and sign him.

Correct there is a rule. But I can't remember if it is 1 or two years.

ISU will have a lot of time for Freshman ready to contribute especially in the front court as they will lose Niang, McKay, Nader, and probably a grad transfer front court player as well as Naz Long and possible Monte Morris. That is a lot of playtime to fill.

Correct there is a rule. But I can't remember if it is 1 or two years.

From the 2014-2015 NCAA D1 Manual: 11.4.2 Individual Associated with a Prospective Student-Athlete—Men’s Basketball. In men’s basketball, during a two-year period before a prospective student-athlete’s anticipated enrollment and a two-year period after the prospective student-athlete’s actual enrollment, an institution shall not employ (or enter into a contract for future employment with) an individual associated with the prospective student-athlete in any athletics department noncoaching staff position or in a strength and conditioning staff position.

So if Missouri hired Cook's AAU coach as a full-time assistant in a coaching position (which I believe they did), they would still be able to recruit Cook.

From the 2014-2015 NCAA D1 Manual: 11.4.2 Individual Associated with a Prospective Student-Athlete—Men’s Basketball. In men’s basketball, during a two-year period before a prospective student-athlete’s anticipated enrollment and a two-year period after the prospective student-athlete’s actual enrollment, an institution shall not employ (or enter into a contract for future employment with) an individual associated with the prospective student-athlete in any athletics department noncoaching staff position or in a strength and conditioning staff position.

So if Missouri hired Cook's AAU coach as a full-time assistant in a coaching position (which I believe they did), they would still be able to recruit Cook.

That's interesting. so its only for non coaching positions

It's kind of like waiting for the hot girl at the bar who might go home with you, but probably won't.

I will no longer be lead along by these...Oh! we made their top 5!...types. Tell me when they actually committ. Tyler Ulis, God bless his talented rear, spoiled it for me.

I love the guys that actually committ, and furthermore, stay for all 4-5 years. They are the ones who really love Iowa and Iowa City and are willing to ride the rail to the next stop.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT