ADVERTISEMENT

Updated Star Ratings

Jan 3, 2003
So when do the unbiased star ratings get updated? Example: Cedrick Lattimore? He was listed as "Could have easily won the award for best defensive lineman" at a camp in Ohio, but the OSU recruit Cooper got the award. Cooper is a 5.8 4-star DE, yet Lattimore performed just as well (according to the OSU magazine writer, "Lattimore was also impressive"). Connect the dots if you can. Signs with Iowa, stays a 3-star....but if he were to jump to OSU, he would then probably jump to a 4-star. Further evidence that the star rating system is skewed towards the Blue Blood programs. This camp happened 3 weeks ago, clearly time enough for an updated rating...:rolleyes: Probably not going to happen.

Reactions: icu81222
On 247 Lattimore is nearly a 4 star and he likely will get upgraded to one on that site. I really like their setup and how they seem to evaluate the prospects more often.

If Lattimore is upgraded by Rivals to a 4-star, will that new rating make him a better player / prospect than when he was the day he committed to Iowa?

So when do the unbiased star ratings get updated? Example: Cedrick Lattimore? He was listed as "Could have easily won the award for best defensive lineman" at a camp in Ohio, but the OSU recruit Cooper got the award. Cooper is a 5.8 4-star DE, yet Lattimore performed just as well (according to the OSU magazine writer, "Lattimore was also impressive"). Connect the dots if you can. Signs with Iowa, stays a 3-star....but if he were to jump to OSU, he would then probably jump to a 4-star. Further evidence that the star rating system is skewed towards the Blue Blood programs. This camp happened 3 weeks ago, clearly time enough for an updated rating...:rolleyes: Probably not going to happen.

Yes, the skewed star rating system is why blue blood programs do well.

If Lattimore is upgraded by Rivals to a 4-star, will that new rating make him a better player / prospect than when he was the day he committed to Iowa?
Obviously you don't understand marketing/momentum/pizzaz and blogs. The more 4 star players coming to Iowa, the easier it is to sell Iowa to other recruits. Pretty simple. That is why the Big Boys are at an additional advantage over everyone else.

Answer me this.....

Which recruit in the state of Michigan do you knock down to 3 stars, so that Lattimore gets 4?

Donnie Corley
Lavert Hill - Penn St commit
Michael Onwenu - Michigan commit
Demetric Vance - Michigan St commit
Michael Jordan - Ohio St commit
Matt Falcon - Michigan commit
Desmond Fitzpatrick - Louisville commit
Khalid Kareem - Alabama

And why? Remember that there are other 3 stars, some with great offer lists, who he'd have to surpass as well.

After you're done with that, then please tell me why his offer list consists of MAC schools? Was he not evaluated in Detroit? Do the Ohio State, Michigan and Michigan St coaches not know what they're doing?

By the way, Lattimore has one other Power 5 school offer....Minnesota, who just offered him. And this is what he says as soon as one other Power 5 school offers him? "I haven't visited Minnesota yet, so I don't know if I'm completely shut down with my decision to Iowa. I mean, I'm committed to Iowa all the way, but I just want to see how it is at other schools. I'm going to take some visits. I'll probably take an official visit to Minnesota during the season." Pfft.....who knows if Iowa even holds on to him anyway.

So the guy who was MVP of the camp and has major offers, including from the defending national champ is rated a 4 star. Another guy was at the same camp and was not MVP, and was not offered by any legit teams, and is a rated 3 star. I'm not sure I see the injustice. Would it make sense if the stars were flipped? Nope.

Reactions: O.H. Lee
Answer me this.....

Which recruit in the state of Michigan do you knock down to 3 stars, so that Lattimore gets 4?

Donnie Corley
Lavert Hill - Penn St commit
Michael Onwenu - Michigan commit
Demetric Vance - Michigan St commit
Michael Jordan - Ohio St commit
Matt Falcon - Michigan commit
Desmond Fitzpatrick - Louisville commit
Khalid Kareem - Alabama

And why? Remember that there are other 3 stars, some with great offer lists, who he'd have to surpass as well.

After you're done with that, then please tell me why his offer list consists of MAC schools? Was he not evaluated in Detroit? Do the Ohio State, Michigan and Michigan St coaches not know what they're doing?

By the way, Lattimore has one other Power 5 school offer....Minnesota, who just offered him. And this is what he says as soon as one other Power 5 school offers him? "I haven't visited Minnesota yet, so I don't know if I'm completely shut down with my decision to Iowa. I mean, I'm committed to Iowa all the way, but I just want to see how it is at other schools. I'm going to take some visits. I'll probably take an official visit to Minnesota during the season." Pfft.....who knows if Iowa even holds on to him anyway.

I'm no recruiting expert but there is no rule or law where it says just because you bump someone to 4* you have to demote someone to 3* let alone a player from the same state.

I'm no recruiting expert but there is no rule or law where it says just because you bump someone to 4* you have to demote someone to 3* let alone a player from the same state.

There are only so many 4* players. When someone jumps up in the ratings, someone must drop down.

Reactions: O.H. Lee
There are only so many 4* players. When someone jumps up in the ratings, someone must drop down.

I don't follow either, they are ranked on their ability, there is not a limit on how many 4-star players there is. If there are 30 players worthy of a 4-star ranking they will have it, same goes for if there are 50 players worthy.
You know how ridiculous that sounds?

I believe the limited numbers of ***** & **** recruits is national but not individual states.

I believe the limited numbers of ***** & **** recruits is national but not individual states.

So when we have a year that lacks talent, recruits are upgraded to 4 & 5 stars, just because? Oh, now I see the problem with rating services.

So when we have a year that lacks talent, recruits are upgraded to 4 & 5 stars, just because? Oh, now I see the problem with rating services.

The guys that are getting 5* and 4* are usually "worthy" of their status on paper, regardless of whether the recruiting class as a whole lacks talent or not. The problem is with 3* when a class, as a whole, is strong. The 3* pool is much, much bigger than the 5 and 4 stars, every year. In a strong class, there are 3* who would usually be 4* in a weaker class. This is where the controversy mostly lies amongst fans, but most Joe's who follow recruiting, don't really know whether a class is that much more talented, if at all, in a given year.

No. I am saying that a service like Rivals has like 50 5-star recruits & 350 4-star recruits nationwide. The rest are rated 3 & 2 star.

I know I am probably off on the numbers

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT