ADVERTISEMENT

US Open Pre-seeds

Wow! There is some serious depth at 65kg. Kellen Russell is the 10th seed!? 4X NCAA Champ Steebler #6?! Brent looked great at the World Cup, so he should be primed and ready to go. Pretty wild that we could potential see a McD v Ramos final! I'm not sure who to root for. It's like picking against one of your kids, it's unnatural!

I didn't realize Daniel Dennis was still competing, but glad to see his name again. Is McDonough going 57 for sure? He had some recent success@ 61kg as well.

I didn't realize Daniel Dennis was still competing, but glad to see his name again. Is McDonough going 57 for sure? He had some recent success@ 61kg as well.

Dennis helped get Tony ready last year for Worlds, but yeah, good to see him competing.

As for McDonough, yes his future is at 57. The Olympics are a year away and there is no 61 kg in the Olympics anymore. He's had more international success at 57 (University bronze) than he has at 61 (Paris Grand Prix bronze).

I believe Burroughs said last year was his last U.S. Open. He has the Finals Match at the W.T.T locked up and there is no reason to risk injury or give Dake, Taylor, Howe, Caldwell or Dierenger another crack at him before then!

Yeah Burroughs and Dlagnev are automatically in the best of three finals because both won medals in 2014. The true sad thing is that Dake was at the Northeast regional and won that, so he's already qualified for the trials and doesn't need to go to the open.

I know he's working on his comeback, but seeing Jake Herbert #10 is ridiculous. He just gave Ruth all he wanted. He'l finish top 3...at least

65 gets deeper with Jayson Ness returning to competition. Deepest weight for the US? He Won the NE regional.

According to a twitter post from Christian Pyles, Pico is wrestling in the JRs and not in the SRs. Apparently he doesn't want to tip his hand before next year's Olympic Trials. I was looking forward to seeing him wrestle. Hard to knock an 18 year old kid but I am not sure I agree with his strategy. I would think you would want to challenge the best and see what improvements/adjustments need to be made in the next year.

According to a twitter post from Christian Pyles, Pico is wrestling in the JRs and not in the SRs. Apparently he doesn't want to tip his hand before next year's Olympic Trials. I was looking forward to seeing him wrestle. Hard to knock an 18 year old kid but I am not sure I agree with his strategy. I would think you would want to challenge the best and see what improvements/adjustments need to be made in the next year.
He has yet to win JR Worlds so that challenge is still available.

EDIT: He can still wrestle SR level for international tournaments which is plenty challenging without forgoing a change at JR World gold. My assumption is he only able to make a real push at one of the world teams. I have not looked closely as the WTT schedule in June to know for sure.

Pico vs Retherford could be interesting.

Too bad about finals being the next week. Like to see some Iowa guys like Stoll, Sorensen, Paddock, etc.. entered at Jr's.

Pico vs Retherford could be interesting.

Too bad about finals being the next week. Like to see some Iowa guys like Stoll, Sorensen, Paddock, etc.. entered at Jr's.
Pico beat him pretty handily at the last Junior World Team trials, I believe 7-0 and 3-0. Pico has gotten better since them as well, not sure if Zain has or not, haven't seen him wrestle since 2014 NCAAs.

I was thinking the same thing. Herbert is a former Olympian, maybe I just don't understand the seeding criteria.

He is, but he hasn't competed recently. Just look at Sam Hazewinkel. He was the U.S. 2012 Olympian, and since then he has been passed by a bunch of new entrants to the weight. He'll have to earn his way back up the list for taking time off.

Pico beat him pretty handily at the last Junior World Team trials, I believe 7-0 and 3-0. Pico has gotten better since them as well, not sure if Zain has or not, haven't seen him wrestle since 2014 NCAAs.

1st Place Match - Aaron Pico (Titian Mercery Wrestling Club) won by decision over Zain Retherford (Nittany Lion Wrestling Club) (Dec 8-5)

ADVERTISEMENT