ADVERTISEMENT

US Open results

I agree Hawkmann

I agree with 1stplace agreeing with Hawkman. Sitting on a 4-0 lead against Simmons is damn smart. No issue there. To do otherwise is like playing with a poisonous snake after you got it in the bag.

Reactions: HAWKMANN
Downey with the FALL in 4:34.

Baggage vs Elite skill? I'm not sure if we are even willing to take him or if he wants to come to Iowa but our recent legal issues might make it a moot issue.

He has elite skill? I don't think he did very well at the Midlands.

DSJ has Welch next. Can't wait to watch that one. I am guessing 20+ points on the board between those 2.

Some of those 2-1 folkstyle snooze fests would be 10-8 in freestyle with all the funking in and out of single legs those two did.

Damn. Dustin Schlatter is tearing up some turf. Call me a traitor, but I'm glad to see him healthy and looking great. I'm picking him over Marable in the finals.

Reactions: wasdt21
Marstellar lost to Nolf...Marstellar gassed and Nolf doesn't....that simple. Lewis had a 11-2 lead on Chavez and gassed...Chavez won it 11-11 on criteria.

Reactions: zeko
Ramos kept on attacking....wins 6-4. Great match by Tony. Colon almost had him at the end...which would have won it but somehow how Tony hips out. Great defense and offense. Notice that the Iowa guys give up early leads. Danny Dennis is up next...He's not doing bad after road tripping the past four years.

Dennis gets TFed 10-0 in 1st. Was down 2-0 and then it was over. Must have gotten leg laced or gut wrenched a few times.

Dennis lost a weird position to Humphrey and wound up in a trapped arm gut which pretty much means as long as you have enough room on the mat you are going to win by tech fall if you've got it.

Schlatter wins by TF 10-0 in a minute and a half. Must admit that I find myself rooting for him as well. Would love for him to come back and take the 70 kg spot and run with it.

How tough is 57kg? Escobedo, Quiroga, Simmons, Dance, Tomasello, McDonough, Sanders, and Graff: 4 of those will go home without placing in the top 8.

Even without JB, 74KG was pretty good as well. Anthony Valencia gave Howe all he could handle. Got away from his game plan and into Howe's ties instead of staying with his double. I really would have liked to see him wrestle DT.

Even without JB, 74KG was pretty good as well. Anthony Valencia gave Howe all he could handle. Got away from his game plan and into Howe's ties instead of staying with his double. I really would have liked to see him wrestle DT.
Looks like Iowa should have put the full court press on the Valencia brothers. Any "kid" that can take down Andrew Howe a couple of times is going to be a handful for the average DI college wrestler ....................

Reactions: wasdt21
Looks like Iowa should have put the full court press on the Valencia brothers. Any "kid" that can take down Andrew Howe a couple of times is going to be a handful for the average DI college wrestler ....................

Totally agree. Valencia is pretty darn impressive. Last year, when he tech-falled Imar twice at Fila Nationals, I thought it was because Imar wasn't that good. Goes to show you what I know.

I'm sure they gave whatever press they could, ASU had a crap ton of free money and a close to home geographical location. Hall did handily beat this kid at the Who"s #1 last fall.

I thought it was more to do with Valencia gassing like he did in his previous match. Continually trying to find blood on his nose so he could take a lunger. Kid is going to double leg college kids to death, though

I'm sure they gave whatever press they could, ASU had a crap ton of free money and a close to home geographical location. Hall did handily beat this kid at the Who"s #1 last fall.

This is almost as hard to believe as the way Valencia toyed with IMar. It underscores how huge it would be to land Hall. Kid would be a program-changer. About as close to a guaranteed 4-timer as there is these days.

Hall and Lee. Hall and Lee. Hall and Lee. I really think this would be a stronger 1-2 punch than Taylor and Ruth -- and more of a boost to the program than they were to PSU's. And that's obviously saying a lot.

Reactions: Huck

If he works on his gas tank and getting out from bottom which I hear is his weakness in folk, holy sh*t

Anthony Valencia, a senior in high school, just teched 4x AA and University World Champion Tyler Caldwell in 2 minutes. My goodness.

This is almost as hard to believe as the way Valencia toyed with IMar. It underscores how huge it would be to land Hall. Kid would be a program-changer. About as close to a guaranteed 4-timer as there is these days.

Hall and Lee. Hall and Lee. Hall and Lee. I really think this would be a stronger 1-2 punch than Taylor and Ruth -- and more of a boost to the program than they were to PSU's. And that's obviously saying a lot.

Stronger than 4 consecutive team National Championships, 5 individual National Championships and 2 Hodge Trophies? Boy... that's going out on a skinny, weak limb? ;) The only reason that Ed Ruth didn't win a Hodge... David Taylor. I think you're getting wonder lust at the thought of these two being paired together (Hall and Lee). They're NOT and the chances that they will be aren't that good. David Taylor and Ed Ruth were paired together and road graded almost 100% of their opponents (minus Kyle Dake) who almost upset Jordon Burroughs, as DT had him on the ropes and couldn't finish off the Olympic and 2 time World Champ.

You're assuming a lot WWDMHawkeye. Most will NOT remotely happen to what David Taylor and Ed Ruth accomplished at Penn State. Hall and Lee might not do it individually at their respective colleges.

Last edited:
If he works on his gas tank and getting out from bottom which I hear is his weakness in folk, holy sh*t

Valencia could be an IMAR type talent. He looked scary fast against Andrew Howe. Valencia's double leg... extremely lethal. Jordan Burroughesque.

Stronger than 4 consecutive team National Championships, 5 individual National Championships and 2 Hodge Trophies? Boy... that's going out on a skinny, weak limb? ;) The only reason that Ed Ruth didn't win a Hodge... David Taylor. I think you're getting wonder lust at the thought of these two being paired together (Hall and Lee). They're NOT and the chances that they will be aren't that good. David Taylor and Ed Ruth were paired together and road graded almost 100% of their opponents (minus Kyle Dake) who almost upset Jordon Burroughs, as DT had him on the ropes and couldn't finish off the Olympic and 2 time World Champ.

You're assuming a lot WWDMHawkeye. Most will NOT remotely happen to what David Taylor and Ed Ruth accomplished at Penn State. Hall and Lee might not do it individually at their respective colleges.

I asserted an opinion. You're free to disagree, but you have no way of being any more certain that it's incorrect than that your opinion is correct. I never said Hall and Lee would attend the same school. The point of my post was that they should be major targets and that they could have more of an impact than Taylor and Ruth if they joined the same program. If both end up 4-timers, they will. I don't think that's out of the question.

One thing's clear -- you hope like heck that both kids don't end up at Iowa. I don't blame you. Now, don't you have some Iowa bashing to do on another board?

Nice WOB, BTW.

Iowa did put the full press on Valencia's, they wasn't interested. The good thing about them going to ASU is they didn't land at PSU which was their second pick. Need to move on, that ship has sailed.

Iowa did put the full press on Valencia's, they wasn't interested. The good thing about them going to ASU is they didn't land at PSU which was their second pick. Need to move on, that ship has sailed.
When I see an official press release that says Iowa offered both brothers a full ride then I'll believe they did all they could to land them. If that wasn't the case, then they didn't.

Iowa seldom operates that way, IMO, so the likelihood that occurred is not very high, IMO. Arizona State is a train wreck, they need to do anything and everything they can to let the rest of the country realize they still have a program. They've done that, we'll see how it works out over time.

In the meantime, I'll continue to make general observations like "any "kid" that can take down Andrew Howe a couple of times is going to be a handful for the average DI college wrestler ...................."

We have a pretty decent understanding of what Hodge Winners and National Championship Teams look like around here.

When I see an official press release that says Iowa offered both brothers a full ride then I'll believe they did all they could to land them. If that wasn't the case, then they didn't.

Iowa seldom operates that way, IMO, so the likelihood that occurred is not very high, IMO. Arizona State is a train wreck, they need to do anything and everything they can to let the rest of the country realize they still have a program. They've done that, we'll see how it works out over time.

In the meantime, I'll continue to make general observations like "any "kid" that can take down Andrew Howe a couple of times is going to be a handful for the average DI college wrestler ...................."
So the only way you'll believe that is if you see a press release?
Has Iowa or any other school issued press releases in the past about full ride offers that were declined? Or even accepted?

I asserted an opinion. You're free to disagree, but you have no way of being any more certain that it's incorrect than that your opinion is correct. I never said Hall and Lee would attend the same school. The point of my post was that they should be major targets and that they could have more of an impact than Taylor and Ruth if they joined the same program. If both end up 4-timers, they will. I don't think that's out of the question.

One thing's clear -- you hope like heck that both kids don't end up at Iowa. I don't blame you. Now, don't you have some Iowa bashing to do on another board?

Nice WOB, BTW.
Ole Amaloon being the old Amaloon! He gained a little humility this past season when everyone knew Ped State wasn't going to be a title threat. Now, with higher expectations, he returns to the obnoxious old self. One thing for sure... the bandwagon at PSU will grow again if the freshmen perform as hoped. Hopefully he gets banned again on this site and returns to the friendly home of all Iowa haters in HV.

So the only way you'll believe that is if you see a press release?
Has Iowa or any other school issued press releases in the past about full ride offers that were declined? Or even accepted?
Yeah, it's fairly routine.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT