ADVERTISEMENT

Uthoff Invited to Nike Basketball Academy

From hawkeyesports.com:

the Nike Basketball Academy will bring together some of top NBA talent including LeBron James, Kevin Durant, Kyrie Irving, and Anthony Davis to help the college athletes enhance their basketball skills in this elite camp.

I hope Uthoff latches on to Kevin Durant and brings some of that back to IC.

Selected to be 1 of 20 is quite an honor. Congrats to Jarrod.

Haven't been able to find out much info about the Elite Camp other than it is an inaugural event and will be held June 25-29 in Santa Monica, CA.
Tre Demps (NW) has also been invited.

Haven't been able to find out much info about the Elite Camp other than it is an inaugural event and will be held June 25-29 in Santa Monica, CA.

If I'm not mistaken, this is the same camp Aaron was invited to last year.

texashawkeye, I believe White was invited to a different event sponsored by LeBron James.

blackheartgoldpants has an article also.
jarrod-uthoff-nike-basketball-academy-lebron-james

Reactions: texashawkeye87
I know its billed as "top 20" but IMO (from what little we know about who has been invited) it looks like they are selecting players with definite NBA potential who are just outside early draft projections..... I think that description would fit Uthoff and Demps. JMHO. Interested to see if there are additional B10 players among the 17 other players invited.

Was only player in college basketball to make 50 three 35 steals and 35 blocks. That is saying something. I don't know where he ranks but one of the top players in the big ten for sure. Not many guys can score and defend like he does
Stupid? Stupid is defined as Uthoff being one of the top 20 kids in America and someone believing that. Cmon. He's a nice player but he's in all likelyhood not in the top 50 at this point.
basketball to make overt threes 35 steal and -'d

Stupid? Stupid is defined as Uthoff being one of the top 20 kids in America and someone believing that. Cmon. He's a nice player but he's in all likelyhood not in the top 50 at this point.

Ill leave you're failure of an attempt at humor or what ever it was alone.

I didn't say he was or wasn't anything just that your answere was stupid.

A top 20 right now is allot different than when thousands of new freshman show up in the fall.

It also depends on how you define top. College player this year or nba prospect

Utoff is a probable first team all conference in a power 5 conference.

Do I think he's a top 20, probably not, but 20 is just an arbitrary number until you put together a list to compare people against each other.

Look at the nba draft two years ago vs the up coming one. The #1 pick that year might not go top ten in this years group.

It's all relative to the competition.

Reactions: freemanbrenner
My guess is top 20 of players not likely to be drafted in the first round. Different top 20.

A'll go with top 20 as R&R said. By the time you take freshins and dem forinerz out of the quation, Jared prob is a top twenty draft pick......um, did the NBA DRAFT twenty guys that weren't freshin or forinerz?

This is great. I share the belief that Uthoff, barring injury, is poised to have a great season. Another All B!G first team. Just a little toughness and a little shooting consistency from huge scoring numbers (like 18-20 ppg). If he's hitting he is a match up nightmare.

A'll go with top 20 as R&R said. By the time you take freshins and dem forinerz out of the quation, Jared prob is a top twenty draft pick......um, did the NBA DRAFT twenty guys that weren't freshin or forinerz?

The top 20 returning college players in terms of how effective they will play in college next year is a totally different list from the top 20 players projected to be drafted in the nba.

The top 20 returning college players in terms of how effective they will play in college next year is a totally different list from the top 20 players projected to be drafted in the nba.

Sorry, I was having trouble thinking and typing as I've been reading posts on "Off Topic" all day. I feel a little light headed. Yes, there are two different things. :)

Dates slightly off- it's actually June 26-30.
http://www.chatsports.com/iowa-hawk...Invited-to-Nike-Basketball-Academy-0-11486131
This could make a difference for the PTL as games around that time are June 25 and July 2. I believe White had a similar situation last summer where he had a PTL game the day before the Durant camp started.

Uthoff is a solid player and a very good BIG Ten player but he's not a quote "great" player. Doesn't do it on a nightly basis with the other team geared to stop him while playing on a Top 10-15 team.

Uthoff is a solid player and a very good BIG Ten player but he's not a quote "great" player. Doesn't do it on a nightly basis with the other team geared to stop him while playing on a Top 10-15 team.

I'm not sure a Wisconsin fan is the first place I'd go to get an objective opinion on Uthoff. Just sayin'

That's a rather narrow, and quite off-base, definition of a great player.

Here is what I think you should be concerned with:

If you'd have had Ethan Happ on the court you might have seen Wisconsin beat Duke. I don't know when a chance like that is going to come around again.

Well the big ten coaches voted him to third team. They must think he's really good. Fran fraschilla said he can be one of the best players in the big ten. Hopefully he can keep the trend like marble and white going from third team to first team. Can be as good as he wants to be and should hav a great year.

Here is what I think you should be concerned with:

If you'd have had Ethan Happ on the court you might have seen Wisconsin beat Duke. I don't know when a chance like that is going to come around again.
Even with happ, not sure the difference it would haw made. Dukes guards were 100x better than wisconsin sand they beat wisconsin with okafor and winslow in foul trouble. Wisconsin last year was great but not at dukes level.

Even with happ, not sure the difference it would haw made. Dukes guards were 100x better than wisconsin sand they beat wisconsin with okafor and winslow in foul trouble. Wisconsin last year was great but not at dukes level.

I'm not sure either but it was a five point game. And, I just enjoy trying to stick a little "what if" in on a Badger fan. :) Supposedly Happ was one of their better players in practice. If so, I don't know why you save him and play a lineup of only seven guys with any significant minutes. Sooner or later (as in that game) foul problems have to become a problem. Again, we'll never know but what if Happ had been the seventh guy instead of Dukan? (10 min., five points, four fouls.)

I'm not sure either but it was a five point game. And, I just enjoy trying to stick a little "what if" in on a Badger fan. :) Supposedly Happ was one of their better players in practice. If so, I don't know why you save him and play a lineup of only seven guys with any significant minutes. Sooner or later (as in that game) foul problems have to become a problem. Again, we'll never know but what if Happ had been the seventh guy instead of Dukan? (10 min., five points, four fouls.)
They could have used Uthoff. Would have done a better job than dekker did guarding quicker guys and is a much, much better shooter.

Pretty tough to win 8 on 5. One of the worst officiated games in a long time with official bias. I hate Wisconsin but they got ripped off.
They got many favorable calls vs kentucky and they got calls vs duke. and dukes two best payers were in foul trouble. They were up nine seven minutes into the second half. When grayson allen scores 16 you don't deserve to win and winslow when he was playing shut dekker down. Dukes guards destroyed winsonsins. Duke beat them twice, they were better.

Maybe but he struggles shooting. I think he is somewhat like Jeff green but we shall see. Parsons was a guy who was taken in the second round where dekker seems like he is though of higher coming into the nba than parsons. I think kaminsky could be a channing frye.
I disagree.

I think Dekker will be a very good NBA player, he's very similar to Chandler Parsons.

Maybe but he struggles shooting. I think he is somewhat like Jeff green but we shall see. Parsons was a guy who was taken in the second round where dekker seems like he is though of higher coming into the nba than parsons. I think kaminsky could be a channing frye.
Exactly, Dekker has been a 32% 3 PT shooter the last two years from the college line where Parsons has shot roughly 38% from NBA range. Parsons would be a below average player if he couldn't shoot, which is exactly what Dekker is. Dekker gets alot of garbage points by out muscling guys in college and that won't be there in the NBA. Dekker's athleticism is average at best in the NBA which is what he relied on in college.

They got many favorable calls vs kentucky and they got calls vs duke. and dukes two best payers were in foul trouble. They were up nine seven minutes into the second half. When grayson allen scores 16 you don't deserve to win and winslow when he was playing shut dekker down. Dukes guards destroyed winsonsins. Duke beat them twice, they were better.
Dukes guards might as well have used handcuffs since they held onto Wisonsin players the whole game. Media, coaches, and neutral fans across the country disagree with you.

ADVERTISEMENT