ADVERTISEMENT

Uthoff Invited to Nike Basketball Academy

Dukes guards might as well have used handcuffs since they held onto Wisonsin players the whole game. Media, coaches, and neutral fans across the country disagree with you.
Tyus jones is getting drafted in the first round after one year while Koenig is right back at wisconsin.
Quinn cook could get drafted but for sure will be in a summe league while josh gasser will be lucky to play in Europe. Wisconsin gets lots of calls, they got plenty vs duke and wisconsin wasn't complaining about te refs when the shot clock went off vs kentucky and they scored. They weren't complaining when they were up nine points seven minutes into the second half.

Tyus jones is getting drafted in the first round after one year while Koenig is right back at wisconsin.
Quinn cook could get drafted but for sure will be in a summe league while josh gasser will be lucky to play in Europe. Wisconsin gets lots of calls, they got plenty vs duke and wisconsin wasn't complaining about te refs when the shot clock went off vs kentucky and they scored. They weren't complaining when they were up nine points seven minutes into the second half.
They would have been up 20 with fair officiating.

Exactly, Dekker has been a 32% 3 PT shooter the last two years from the college line where Parsons has shot roughly 38% from NBA range. Parsons would be a below average player if he couldn't shoot, which is exactly what Dekker is. Dekker gets alot of garbage points by out muscling guys in college and that won't be there in the NBA. Dekker's athleticism is average at best in the NBA which is what he relied on in college.

I think Dekker's athleticism is underrated and will help him in the league.

I think Dekker's athleticism is underrated and will help him in the league.
Durant, Lebron, Kawhi Leonard, Carmelo, Rudy Gay, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Greek Freak, Jabari Parker, Jeff Green, Andrew Wiggens, Harrison Barnes, Igoudala, Nicolas Batum, Demarre Carroll, Gorden Hayward just to name a few at Dekker's position.

I'm not saying Dekker isn't athletic but relative to his peers at his position he would be happy to break even on most nights. Add in the fact that NBA teams actually scout and play defense accordingly, unless Dekker can keep defenses honest with his jump shot he doesn't have the elite athleticism to overcome that IMO.

Reactions: freemanbrenner
Yep, and those guys for the most part are all solid shooters and a guy like Kidd-Gilchrest even though he struggles shooting is an elite defender.
Durant, Lebron, Kawhi Leonard, Carmelo, Rudy Gay, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Greek Freak, Jabari Parker, Jeff Green, Andrew Wiggens, Harrison Barnes, Igoudala, Nicolas Batum, Demarre Carroll, Gorden Hayward just to name a few at Dekker's position.

I'm not saying Dekker isn't athletic but relative to his peers at his position he would be happy to break even on most nights. Add in the fact that NBA teams actually scout and play defense accordingly, unless Dekker can keep defenses honest with his jump shot he doesn't have the elite athleticism to overcome that IMO.

You wouldn't have said that about Gordon Heyward after he left Butler either.

Let's see how good he gets now that he's doing it full time.

The idea that athleticism = basketball talent has pretty much gone by the wayside. And thank god, the 2000s were horrible to watch, a buch of guys who were great athletes and mediocre basketball players.

The europeans brining skill back to the game probably saved it.

NBA teams are prefectly capable of evaluating Deckers athleticism and they seem fine with it. The guy has a 35' vertical at 6'9. Thats probably better than half the guys you just listed, certainly Jabari Parker, Heyward and Carmello. Allot of that list is getting close to their 30s too.

Uthoff could be a decent NBA player if he gets a lot stronger and more physical. He's gotten a little better but he needs to toughen up for the NBA.

Dukes guards might as well have used handcuffs since they held onto Wisonsin players the whole game. Media, coaches, and neutral fans across the country disagree with you.

If you're going to call "bad officiating", then it's on Bo. These officials made it to the championship game by earining it. They just were a little weary of Bo's crap on the sideline....kinda like every team that goes into Madison. Wtf are we talking about the badgers? This is a Hawkeye board.

The idea that athleticism = basketball talent has pretty much gone by the wayside. And thank god, the 2000s were horrible to watch, a buch of guys who were great athletes and mediocre basketball players.

NBA teams are prefectly capable of evaluating Deckers athleticism and they seem fine with it. The guy has a 35' vertical at 6'9. Thats probably better than half the guys you just listed, certainly Jabari Parker, Heyward and Carmello. Allot of that list is getting close to their 30s too.
Holy crap!

Oh, and assuming you meant 35" (not 35'!), per what I have read, it is only 34.5. and that is a running jump. He could only jump 25.5" from a standstill jump. In comparison, White jumped 30" from a standstill and 35" running. Both have the same wingspan (6'11.5"). They are the exact same height without shoes.

That said, I like Dekker's chances to stick. And I do believe that he and Kaminsky's names will both be called in the 1st round.

Last edited:

You're missing the point. I'm saying Decker athleticism (although pretty good) isn't good enough to overcome his lack of offensive skill or defensive ability.

He has athleticism that doesn't translate to the NBA. You're probably correct he has a higher vertical than those you listed but all 3 of those guys have 10x more skill and all 3 have a quicker first step which is much more useful than jumping a couple inches higher. It won't matter how quick Dekker is because he won't be able to drive past defenders giving him a monster cushion unless he drastically improves his shooting.

You wouldn't have said that about Gordon Heyward after he left Butler either.

Let's see how good he gets now that he's doing it full time.
I wouldn't say what? Hayward has always shown since college that he has way more skill than Dekker. He is a much better shooter and ball handler and has always shown that. Dekker's athleticism isn't the problem, it's his skill. Some players can overcome a lack of skill by being an elite athlete or defensive stopper. IMO Dekker isn't one of those guys but we will see.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT