ADVERTISEMENT

Views on Illinois and Purdue for 2023

OK makes sense. I feel bad that he lead you on for two years….

Good luck! It sounds like you’re in a great place!
I'm excited for walters. I think he's built a good staff, is getting the attention of top rated player that wouldn't give Brohm the time of day (including two top 100 WR's) and is saying all the right things. No idea if it will work. Hah

I'm excited for walters. I think he's built a good staff, is getting the attention of top rated player that wouldn't give Brohm the time of day (including two top 100 WR's) and is saying all the right things. No idea if it will work. Hah

Oh, I think it’s already worked. You’re lucky Brohm moved on, he sucked…

Satterfield played well in the second half of the year, but no extension was offered so he jumped at the chance to go to Cincinnati after Wisconsin got the ball rolling by firing Chryst in mid season. In effect Louisville chased his away to bring Brohm home.

Reactions: Bishop1971
Satterfield played well in the second half of the year, but no extension was offered so he jumped at the chance to go to Cincinnati after Wisconsin got the ball rolling by firing Chryst in mid season. In effect Louisville chased his away to bring Brohm home.
They tried to run him out the year before, but the president of the university nixed it, causing the AD to quit, causing the boosters to run her out.

• Wow
All I know is that Brohm had a "scratch where it itches" mindset ... and he had mastered the art of getting the best of Phil Parker. Not many coaches can pull that off ... at least, not without having crazy high-level talent.

In the short term, I think that it helps Iowa to have Brohm gone from Purdue.

I'll be curious to see how the whole defensive-minded versus offensive-minded philosophy works out. Oklahoma went from having an offensive minded coach to a defensive-minded coach ... when hiring Venables. That didn't really seem to work out all that great for them.

I'm sure that Purdue will see a recruiting uptick. However, if you look at Maryland ... Mike Locksley has ALWAYS been a recruiter of renown. The bigger question is whether a head coach can BOTH recruit AND build a program up. Talent-level is only one of the variables at play here. Talent only goes so far if guys don't improve and play together.

Counter to Venables hire is Stoops was a defensive guy and that worked out quite well for Sooners. Saban was a defensive guy as was Dantonio, Smart, Kelly, and many others.

All I know is that Brohm had a "scratch where it itches" mindset ... and he had mastered the art of getting the best of Phil Parker. Not many coaches can pull that off ... at least, not without having crazy high-level talent.

I'll be curious to see how the whole defensive-minded versus offensive-minded philosophy works out. Oklahoma went from having an offensive minded coach to a defensive-minded coach ... when hiring Venables. That didn't really seem to work out all that great for them.

I'm sure that Purdue will see a recruiting uptick. However, if you look at Maryland ... Mike Locksley has ALWAYS been a recruiter of renown. The bigger question is whether a head coach can BOTH recruit AND build a program up. Talent-level is only one of the variables at play here. Talent only goes so far if guys don't improve and play together.
C'mon man he couldn't do it with Aiden and Chuck Sizzle!!!!

I will say, the entire Purdue staff hired seems to be really good recruiters based on history. Not sure how much building Purdue needs, just continued growth. Which I guess you could argue is building. Infrastructure and talent are there.

C'mon man he couldn't do it with Aiden and Chuck Sizzle!!!!
That's the thing ... just because Brohm COULD get the best of Phil, doesn't mean that he always WOULD.

Chuck Sizzle didn't generate a mismatch that Iowa couldn't handle. Mr. Sizzle chalked up a ton of yardage against the Hawks ... but it was all in front of defenders ... and the damage was limited as a result.

Usually Brohm finds a mismatch where one of his guys can either get BEHIND our secondary and/or win the 50-50 balls for big-gainers. Then, what happens is that Brohm keeps on dialing up that mismatch until Phil finds a way to stop the hemorrhaging. By that point ... Brohm usually had picked enough scabs to give Purdue to decent enough lead. From there ... the objective is to hold on.

Many offensive minds aren't as pragmatic - and they try to use a perceived mismatch in order to generate other opportunities.

I've got Purdue at 6-6 next year. Tell me I'm being unreasonable though. We will find out on card. Hard to be better than Oconnell, but he could still be really good.

Oline will be better, even though they lost 1 guy. Some really good young guys. One was freshman all American team I think. WR will be fine, Thompson is back. Wright may be back. They have an actual coach now. TE, Garrett Miller will be back. He's better than Durham. This offense isn't magically going to suck.

Defensively, there is plenty of talent on the D. Very good, athletic DL coming up. I'm partially banking on Walters and Kane making this defense better, but I have good reason to believe they will based on past results.

Purdue isn't void of talent. The bowl game is a terrible barometer for this next year though. Terrible. 6-6, walters is recruiting way better than Brohm atm in terms of getting guys on campus. Idk if he can coach, but as of now, the future looks bright. I was mostly curious how people can say Purdue will be bad next year. Then again, most said it last year. Most importantly, walters has seemed to fix some culture issues.
Looked through the Purdue schedule and I think 6-6 is attainable certainly. To get there I think they will need to win all the non-conference games and try not to get too discouraged in the conference season because an 0-6 start there is a possible outcome. Take one or two of those early conference games and a higher finish could be in the cards.

I will say, the entire Purdue staff hired seems to be really good recruiters based on history. Not sure how much building Purdue needs, just continued growth. Which I guess you could argue is building. Infrastructure and talent are there.

Well it will be interesting, the talent equation that is. If it is comparable you’ll start to see them close that gap on draft day.

As of right now per ESPN, Iowa has 38 players on NFL off season rosters. PU has 14…which would be middle of the pack….

Nebbie has 21, Illinois 18….

I’d wager Iowa, Wiscy, UM & PSU all have 30 plus and tOSU 50ish!

Looked through the Purdue schedule and I think 6-6 is attainable certainly. To get there I think they will need to win all the non-conference games and try not to get too discouraged in the conference season because an 0-6 start there is a possible outcome. Take one or two of those early conference games and a higher finish could be in the cards.
I see 2 guaranteed losses and 10 toss ups. And that is me counting osu even though they have a weird history at Purdue. Lol

Well it will be interesting, the talent equation that is. If it is comparable you’ll start to see them close that gap on draft day.

As of right now per ESPN, Iowa has 38 players on NFL off season rosters. PU has 14…which would be middle of the pack….

Nebbie has 21, Illinois 18….

I’d wager Iowa, Wiscy, UM & PSU all have 30 plus and tOSU 50ish!
Hazell was really rough on that.... need to land a few of these top 250 guys that have been coming to campus.

I see 2 guaranteed losses and 10 toss ups. And that is me counting osu even though they have a weird history at Purdue. Lol
Sounds like Iowa's 2023 schedule if I'm being honest about it (or perhaps just like every other Western division team's prospects). Ultimately someone has to win more games than the others and schedule composition will be a big part of that.

Hazell was really rough on that.... need to land a few of these top 250 guys that have been coming to campus.

Meh….Brohm has been there long enough that if he was going to impact the total talent he would have.

Iowa will likely have 5 plus drafted again this year.

Sounds like Iowa's 2023 schedule if I'm being honest about it (or perhaps just like every other Western division team's prospects). Ultimately someone has to win more games than the others and schedule composition will be a big part of that.
What makes it hard is the west is completely unknown imo. 3 new coaches, Illinois lost most of their defensive staff, does Iowa have an offense? PJ is PJ aka 9 wins or so. Though, don't have a 12th year QB anymore. They don't scare me. Northwestern....

Idk how you can confidently predict the west tbh.

Meh….Brohm has been there long enough that if he was going to impact the total talent he would have.

Iowa will likely have 5 plus drafted again this year.
Issue is, Brohm was a crap recruiter minus like 2 years. And he had crap assistants his last couple of years. Minus Hagen. He was building a heck of a dline.

Issue is, Brohm was a crap recruiter minus like 2 years. And he had crap assistants his last couple of years. Minus Hagen. He was building a heck of a dline.

Well, depending on who you ask & what you use as a gauge Kirk Ferentz has been a crap recruiter over the last 20+ years…

But in reality there isn’t a better staff in the country that knows how to identify talent regardless of rankings. Hence we have somewhere in the neighborhood of the 12th, 15th most players in the NFL.

Point is, getting 4, 5 stars in the building to visit isn’t even half the battle. I’d wager of all the top 20 producers of NFL talent they all have much higher composite recruiting rankings than Iowa. Wisconsin, of course, being the other outlier.

So, the identification & then the teaching is the trick for fulfillment. As you’ve noted, a good coach like Brohm wasn’t stocking the roster as well as you actually needed!

And Nebbie who consistently had top 25 classes weren’t producing either!

Lots to be concerned about!

Well, depending on who you ask & what you use as a gauge Kirk Ferentz has been a crap recruiter over the last 20+ years…

But in reality there isn’t a better staff in the country that knows how to identify talent regardless of rankings. Hence we have somewhere in the neighborhood of the 12th, 15th most players in the NFL.

Point is, getting 4, 5 stars in the building to visit isn’t even half the battle. I’d wager of all the top 20 producers of NFL talent they all have much higher composite recruiting rankings than Iowa. Wisconsin, of course, being the other outlier.

So, the identification & then the teaching is the trick for fulfillment. As you’ve noted, a good coach like Brohm wasn’t stocking the roster as well as you actually needed!

And Nebbie who consistently had top 25 classes weren’t producing either!

Lots to be concerned about!
Brohm had certainly figured out how to make a living off a good WR and QB and a defense that just kind of held on. Iowa has good coaches to develop though. Brohm had that early. His staff last year wasn't anything to great imo.

Again, not bashing the work Brohm did. He got Purdue football back to the point where you can justify millions in renovations and updates. Almost 200 millions over the past 6 years to be exact. But I think it was time for a change. I'm very thankful for what he did, but wasn't necessarily sad to see him go. Maybe I'll regret that in 3 years? My gut feeling is I won't.

That's an interesting take ... at least concerning Purdue. The last defensive-oriented coach they had predates Tiller. Furthermore, I think Walters made a smart hire concerning the OC. Purdue could be an interesting story. The only caveat is that we don't know what sort of manager Walters will be. The "scale" of the picture is definitely different as a head coach than it is as a coordinator.

As for Brett ... who knows? He's still a pretty smart and wily coach. Barry had such a heavy hand over the Wisconsin program ... that all subsequent coaches up until his retirement from the AD spot still had to toe the line ... it was still Barry's ship. I've always been curious as to how much of Brett's prior success was on merit ... or based upon the foundations that Barry built and maintained? Similarly, were the failings at Arkansas wholly his (Brett's) own ... or where they also reflective of the dysfunctional nature of the Arkansas program and his inability to mesh with the power-brokers there?
He's fat and lazy. Year 3 will be worse than year 1, and year 4 will be equal or worse than year one. He'll be there just one more season after this one.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT