ADVERTISEMENT

Wariboko

coe76

All-Conference
Aug 21, 2002
Wariboko was rumored to be making a decision yesterday. No news yet. Anyone have any idea where we stand?

It was speculated by Kakert and Blair that he committed this morning because of a tweet he sent out, but a few minutes later they both said that he's not committed and that we are full at DB.

Makes no sense when his twitter has him shaking hands with Kirk and its marked 'official'

About 45 min after his announcement and still no tweet from Seth Wallace saying we got another commit. Usually he tweets that right away.

Sounds like Kirk and Co. didn't have confidence in Wariboko committing possibly...and now they're full up at DB.

Billings and Boswell jumped on their offers immediately (this past weekend), which shouldn't be a surprise, considering their other offers to this point.

That's the problem with giving out offers like candy... I would personally much rather have Wariboko than either Billings or Boswell. While I appreciate the emphasis on recruiting and the work ethic going in to it there's downsides to offering EVERYONE. We miss out on "late" additions to classes because we get filled up.

Bad, bad recruiting strategy there. Why not wait until Wariboko or Burrell decide, then if neither one picks Iowa, offer the other 2? We could've easily gotten Lattimore and Billings as plan B, instead we miss out on a better recruit cause they were plan A. Bad..

Reactions: kyleparm
Sounds like Kirk and Co. didn't have confidence in Wariboko committing possibly...and now they're full up at DB.

Billings and Boswell jumped on their offers immediately (this past weekend), which shouldn't be a surprise, considering their other offers to this point.

There was no reason that we need to rush to accept commitments from recruits with no other offers. They could have been told to wait and commit to Miami of Ohio if they were in a rush.

I agree we can't pass up this commit. It is important on multiple fronts. He might be the most accomplished DB to commit and it could open up a new recruiting pipeline.

I agree we can't pass up this commit. It is important on multiple fronts. He might be the most accomplished DB to commit and it could open up a new recruiting pipeline.
A lot of conclusions being jumped to and overreactions in this thread. First of all, no one knows if he is actually a better player than others or not. Apparently the staff didn't think so......otherwise they would have held the spot for him. According to the methodology that's currently in vogue on the board, Malik Rucker and Solomon Warfield are both SIGNIFICANTLY better players than Dez King.

Reactions: ichawk24 and nu2u
A lot of conclusions being jumped to and overreactions in this thread. First of all, no one knows if he is actually a better player than others or not. Apparently the staff didn't think so......otherwise they would have held the spot for him. According to the methodology that's currently in vogue on the board, Malik Rucker and Solomon Warfield are both SIGNIFICANTLY better players than Dez King.
Rucker rated at 5.7, King rated at 5.6, Warfield rated at 5.6. Why would those two be expected to be "SIGNIFICANTLY" better?

Lot of dumb posts on here. If they offer a kid they like him and want him to commit. If he commits before another on the list does then so be it. Don't know why people are so annoyed about losing out on Wariboko. Probably the same people that would be disappointed if he did commit because he doesn't have many offers and is a low 3 star recruit. the kids they are getting aren't fall back recruits. These are guys they evaluated and decided are worthy of an offer now.

Love the fact people think coaches should not do their own evaluation. They should just sit back and look at who offers the kid and then offer based on that.

Reactions: Clifford C. Clavin
Rucker rated at 5.7, King rated at 5.6, Warfield rated at 5.6. Why would those two be expected to be "SIGNIFICANTLY" better?
I said "according to the current methodology in vogue on the board".....which is comparative offers. King had a couple of P5s and a bunch of MACs. The other 2 had long lists of P5s. Rucker had 10, Warfield 11 (including PSU and MSU).

Last edited:
Reactions: ichawk24 and nu2u
I said "according to the current methodology in vogue on the board".....which is comparative offers. King had a couple of P5s and a bunch of MACs. The other 2 had long lists of P5s. Rucker had 10, Warfield 11 (including PSU and MSU).
Got it
Must have missed the part where you explained what the current metodology of the board was.

Love the fact people think coaches should not do their own evaluation. They should just sit back and look at who offers the kid and then offer based on that.

That's obviously not what anyone has been saying, but nice try. Fans on a message board that don't have time to spend hours watching tape have to resort to star ratings and offers. Since the majority of Iowa's commits are 3 stars, and since the majority of overall recruits are 3 stars, offers are a good way to get a general idea of how much a player is coveted. The better the player, the more he is coveted, the more and better offers he will receive. It doesn't always turn out this way, but it is a decent barometer for the talent level of a recruit.

Of course, there are always exceptions, and the fans with there heads in the sand love pointing these exceptions out. The reason players like Dallas Clark and Bob Sanders are exceptions and such great stories is because it is a rare thing for that level of recruit to make it to the NFL. Recruiting players like this is fine and dandy when you have a class of high 3 and 4 star recruits to balance them out. Maybe half of the high 3 and 4 star group will turn out to be good college players and you hit on a low level guy or two that was under the radar. That would be a pretty good class. However, when 75% of your class is made up of the low level guys that are flying under the radar and you hit on the same percentage of low level guys as you have before, then you have problems.

That's obviously not what anyone has been saying, but nice try. Fans on a message board that don't have time to spend hours watching tape have to resort to star ratings and offers. Since the majority of Iowa's commits are 3 stars, and since the majority of overall recruits are 3 stars, offers are a good way to get a general idea of how much a player is coveted. The better the player, the more he is coveted, the more and better offers he will receive. It doesn't always turn out this way, but it is a decent barometer for the talent level of a recruit.

Of course, there are always exceptions, and the fans with there heads in the sand love pointing these exceptions out. The reason players like Dallas Clark and Bob Sanders are exceptions and such great stories is because it is a rare thing for that level of recruit to make it to the NFL. Recruiting players like this is fine and dandy when you have a class of high 3 and 4 star recruits to balance them out. Maybe half of the high 3 and 4 star group will turn out to be good college players and you hit on a low level guy or two that was under the radar. That would be a pretty good class. However, when 75% of your class is made up of the low level guys that are flying under the radar and you hit on the same percentage of low level guys as you have before, then you have problems.

Yes that is basically what people are saying when they say we should have taken one guy over another because of oferrzzz and you are saying the coaches are taking low level guys because oferrzzz. and yet the coaches don't see them as low level guys because they have evaluated them and offered them early. These aren't last minute fall back recruits. nice try though

You just said it again. The coaches shouldn't do their own evaluations (and you shouldn't trust THEIR evaluations, just the recruiting services), they should just sit back and look at stars, lol. Do you even know one person who evaluates for a recruiting service and what their qualifications are? Head in the sand? We all know where you and your buddies heads are at:)

You just said it again. The coaches shouldn't do their own evaluations (and you shouldn't trust THEIR evaluations, just the recruiting services), they should just sit back and look at stars, lol. Do you even know one person who evaluates for a recruiting service and what their qualifications are? Head in the sand? We all know where you and your buddies heads are at:)
So OK folks, back to the original question. Did he commit or did KF tell him no, he waited too long? Just seeking clarification here.

Maybe they feel the
So OK folks, back to the original question. Did he commit or did KF tell him no, he waited too long? Just seeking clarification here.

I think both of those things happened. He committed, and they said sorry, you're a day late. The spot is taken.

I don't know for sure, but that is how I am interpreting it.

However, when 75% of your class is made up of the low level guys that are flying under the radar and you hit on the same percentage of low level guys as you have before, then you have problems.

What is your definition of "low level guys that are flying under the radar"? Dallas Clark and Bob Sanders are certainly good examples. But what about our current class? I'd say Lance Billings fills that bill, but dig a bit deeper and he looks interesting to me. Does "low level" mean 2 star or 3 star (I'm trying to figure out you got to the 75% figure)? Because there's a difference (from a ranking perspective). According to Rivals a 3 star has pro potential, which doesn't sound like "low level". So.....we're left with comparative offers to parse different 3 stars to determine who is "low level" apparently. Go pull up the offer lists for the 3 players I mentioned above (Dez King, Malik Rucker, and Solomon Warfield) and tell us which one - before we ever saw any of them play - would have been "low level". Admittedly, the comparative offer methodology makes sense at one, very basic level. But I've yet to see convincing, empirical evidence that it's actually predictive. When I see claims that one player is better than another based solely on a quick look at their offers, that seems kinda lazy, frankly.

Yesterday was a perfect example of how recruiting actually works. Billings commits and no one knows who he is. Every "recruiting service" had both hands in the air and their mouths open. Then, the "recruiting services" run out and watch the kid's film and arbitrarily give him a low 3Star rating. In the same vain, had Billings committed to one of the blue bloods (OS, BAMA, etc) or one of the nouvo in vogue brands (Oregon, Baylor, etc) he would be rated higher.

Have you guys actually watched Boswell and Billing's film. Holy Christ, the kids are great athletes and runs like deer. They will be great assets at corner. Now, the Iowa coaching staff actually saw these kids in camp. They saw Boswell play live last year. They've talked to the kids, their parents, their coaches, cehcked their grades. They played the chess match - "what if we offer Billings now, will we miss or have room on x or y defensive back." They know the inside scoop why we arm charm coaches try to find fault. The coaches don't review the star rankings...they create the star ranking system.

Back to "recruiting services." After Billing's offer/commitment, they reviewed film and knighted him with 3Stars. It's so stupid. They are nothing but a reporting service.

The Hawkyes 2015 and 2016 recruiting classes are full of great athletes and so many are under the radar. They will surprise a lot of people. Now, the Hawks just need to hang on and put up a decent performance in 2015...strong help is on the way.

I feel terrible for this kid. Clearly he had an offer at one point, and somewhere along the line (likely a day ago) his spot was taken. I really hope the coaches didn't fail to inform him his offer was no longer on the table until after he publicly announced, and embarrassed himself. Hopefully the coaches tried to communicate to this kid that he no longer had an offer prior to his commitment, otherwise I lost a lot of respect for this coaching staff.

And I understand that's how recruiting works, but if you expect a kid to call you when he chooses another school, the least you can do is call him when you choose another player. Not saying that's what happens but it seems like he didn't know he no longer had an offer

Hmmm. Torn. I guess if they thought he was that much of a program changer they would add him anyway, even if it puts us over at DB. At the same time, wasn't he a higher priority?

And I understand that's how recruiting works, but if you expect a kid to call you when he chooses another school, the least you can do is call him when you choose another player. Not saying that's what happens but it seems like he didn't know he no longer had an offer
Did the "dead" period, as far as recruiting goes, start yesterday? If it did, the coaches couldn't contact recruits? The recruits could contact the coaches, but I don't think the coaches could initiate contact with prospects.

I'm guessing (actually pretty confident) that Wariboko knew the score well in advance; that the Hawkeyes had offered several other players at his position and that there was only a couple spots open. It is also likely that the other players offered at his position had the same information from the coaching staff. I doubt there was any deception involved.

So coaches advise a prospect that open spots are limited and other players have also have been offered and may be close to deciding. That is sometimes characterized as a heavy-handed pressure tactic employed by coaches on a highly regarded target to persuade the player make a decision and commit early. Sometimes the coaches mean it.

So it looks like no Wariboko? I guess the coaching staff cannot elaborate on this bc they cant talk about recruits. That's too bad. But if Im being honest I was only excited because he seemed like a more high profile recruit with Louisville and UCLA offers

So it looks like no Wariboko? I guess the coaching staff cannot elaborate on this bc they cant talk about recruits. That's too bad. But if Im being honest I was only excited because he seemed like a more high profile recruit with Louisville and UCLA offers

It would be interesting to know (I am not sure how one would tell) whether the Louisville and UCLA offers remain live, commit-able offers. Both offers appear to have been extended while Louisville and UCLA were trying to gain the commitment of his older brother, an OG who ended up signing with UCLA. When he decommitted from OU, the older brother was saying that he wanted to play college ball with Max.

It would be interesting to know (I am not sure how one would tell) whether the Louisville and UCLA offers remain live, commit-able offers. Both offers appear to have been extended while Louisville and UCLA were trying to gain the commitment of his older brother, an OG who ended up signing with UCLA. When he decommitted from OU, the older brother was saying that he wanted to play college ball with Max.

interesting, I did not know that. Well I hope the best for the kid and maybe he will have a huge Sr year getting more attention

I wondered yesterday when Billings was offered and committed whether Wariboko had committed to UCLA. Now it looks like he hadn't. Bottom line, looked at Billings and Boswell's videos, both are very good athletes.

Bottom line, you snooze, you loose.

I have looked at a lot of tape for many of Iowa's recruits. I'm really excited about the speed being recruited and the direction our recruiting is going.

Are they 4 or 5's no, but these kids can play. Will be interesting how they use the last 4 scholarships.

Here's an interview Rivals did with Billings today. In the video it says we offered him on Monday, so maybe we thought Wariboko wasn't coming?

Here's an interview Rivals did with Billings today. In the video it says we offered him on Monday, so maybe we thought Wariboko wasn't coming?

I heard somewhere (cannot remember where to confirm) that Monday or Tuesday was the last day to talk to recruits until the "dead period" ends. I dont really know what the dead period is bc I dont follow recruiting as closely. But I assume that they wanted to get their scholarship out to Billings before it was too late bc of the uncertainty of Wariboko. Billings wouldnt have been offered if they didnt have confidence he could be the guy. And after looking at the tape, I think he is a special athlete. Offers be damned, this is one I am excited about.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT