ADVERTISEMENT

WBB opens season with first practice

Iowa only played 2 teams in the RPI top 10, Maryland & Ohio State. Maryland won by 20 both times & Ohio State won by 17, they were up by 30 at one point. Since Iowa RPI is 59, And talk from the so called experts say if Iowa gets in they will be one of the last teams in. Which would be 16 seed. Their RPI of 59 would but them at a 15 seed. I would say the way they've been playing they would get blown off the court . That's why I would rather see them in the WNIT where they could play against lesser competition and build some confidence going into next year. Plus they might get to play at home. I expect Iowa to be in the top 10 in the years to come, and am going to be disappointed if they don't get their. They have some nice talent and nice player coming in next year. They just need to get more of it.
Sounds like you're kind of new to this NCAA tournament thing. ;) The committee knows Iowa (and any at-large) would be better than quite a few automatic qualifiers, so typically the last teams in get 11 or 12 seeds. That would match us against a 5 or 6 seed. Tough game for sure, but winnable.
http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/bracketology

Sounds like you're kind of new to this NCAA tournament thing. ;) The committee knows Iowa (and any at-large) would be better than quite a few automatic qualifiers, so typically the last teams in get 11 or 12 seeds. That would match us against a 5 or 6 seed. Tough game for sure, but winnable.
No I have been watching WNCAA basketball, and following WNCAA & WNIT for 30+ years. I just fell the WNIT would be better for this team, this year. But I do expect Iowa to play better starting next year.

Selection show tonight. ESPN 6pm. They will find out if it is NCAA or WNIT.

Selection show tonight. ESPN 6pm. They will find out if it is NCAA or WNIT.
Charlie Crème on ESPN had Iowa as one of the last four teams in the NCAA field until last night. Now they are the first team out in his bracketology. There must have been an upset somewhere in one of the few games played yesterday that put another team in. I would prefer they get in the NCAA, but a few more home games in the WNIT would be okay.

Reactions: HIWILLE
FGCU lost in their conference championship, but he still has them as one of the Last 4 In. The women's tournament process is significantly different than the men's. I won't bore anyone with details, but the way the selection committee cuts the pieces of the puzzle to everything fit is "interesting". Iowa hurt themselves at the end of the season by losing a second time to Penn St. and struggling against a terrible Illinois team also didn't go unnoticed. They only hope they might have would be to bump a team like Kansas St. who also has a sub 500 conference record and one less overall win than Iowa. But they do have both a stronger RPI and SOS.

Taking an educated guess--Iowa will host the first (maybe the first 2 rounds of the WNIT) against a regional opponent from a mid-major. Drake, UNI, S. Dakota, St. Louis or even a Central Michigan would each be short/less expensive day trips.

Reactions: HIWILLE
If it's the wnit I would think they would not bring in Drake or UNI since we already played this year, but I don't know what their precedent is on this. I haven't a clue.

They are opposed to having conference rivals meet early in the tournament. While I've never been given specific numbers, I have been told by several people who know the process that the WNIT loses money hand over fist. Therefore the committee looks for regional matchups to keep costs as low as possible. A perfect example is the last time Iowa played in the WNIT. They hosted Creighon, traveled to Nebraska (then a Big 12 member) and hosted Arkansas St. before traveling to (at the time) SW Mizzou St.

With Nebraska now a conference opponent, the committee will look at regional options. A rematch with Drake or UNI would likely draw a bigger gate than bringing in St. Louis or South Dakota. UW-Milwaukee could be an option if their administration is okay with pulling their kids out of class for a couple days. Quality mid-majors like Central Michigan or Ohio would be good matchups for a young Iowa team.

No matter who it is, right now Coach Bluder's young roster simply needs to play some more games.

Post season WNIT - Wiki

The current, sixty-four-team tournament has thirty-two first-round games, followed by sixteen second-round games, eight third-round games, four quarterfinal games, two semifinal games, and the championship. All games are played on the site of higher-seeded team. Bids are announced on the evening of the same day that the NCAA tourney bids are made.

Since Iowa was indeed the first team out, I would think they would be the top seed in the WNIT. If so, they could potentially host every round through to the championship as long as they continue winning.

Last edited:
Reactions: iarick
The WNIT goes by conference standings. Minnesota gets the B1G automatic berth. Iowa will be an at-large bid.
Looks like there will be 6 B1G teams in the WNIT. Brackets and times announced at 10:30 CDST.

Last edited:
Iowa versus Ball State Thursday at Carver. If they win they get the winner of Saint Louis and Arkansas Little Rock. I'm guessing that game would also be at Carver.

Iowa versus Ball State Thursday at Carver. If they win they get the winner of Saint Louis and Arkansas Little Rock. I'm guessing that game would also be at Carver.

Just saw that. I couldn't figure out if it would be at CHA or St. Louis if Iowa wins against Ball St. Probably yet to be decided.

Ball State is 21-9. They have 4 scorers in double figures. One at 20 ppg, three others at 10ppg. They were 13-5 in the MAC.

I am not seeing the game listed on the BTN website. It does show three other WNIT games tonight. The hawkeyesports listing says it is on BTN +, but having some doubts.

Todays game at 7 pm (btn2go) lists N. Iowa at Nebraska, so no Iowa today. It's possible the next game could be on if Iowa advances.

can anybody see any player;s leaving the team after the season. like playing time homesick.

Video link at Hawkeyesports - All Access. Rather have that anyway and get Brett B. audio.

Missed the beginning of the game, but sounded like Kastanek started over Coley?
Brett B made it sound like they wanted to go smaller to start. So far all Gustafson, nobody else has bothered to show up.

I thought the team would bring more of an effort into the game, and reading Bluders post-game comments, sounded like she did too. Kind of uncommon for a coach with five returning starters next season to wonder publicly where the leadership will be coming from. I still think there is a lot of potential, but now have some uncertainty whether it will come together. Between this season's struggles for WBB, MBB and VB, I'm starting to think the water in CHA should be tested.

The leadership will come from Ally and hopefully Kastanek or Davis or someone else will step up. Some of the players on this team need to step it up next year because there is some more competition for minutes coming in.

I thought the team would bring more of an effort into the game, and reading Bluders post-game comments, sounded like she did too. Kind of uncommon for a coach with five returning starters next season to wonder publicly where the leadership will be coming from.
That "leadership" comment was surprising to me too. But I think she may have been calling out the trouble with this season's team more than addressing next season. When two of the three contributing upper classmen practically fall off the face of the planet, and one of them is suspended briefly, it's easy to see how lack of leadership was a contributing factor to this season's struggles. Bluder chewed out Kali big-time during a timeout.

It's too bad. But hopefully those coming back will learn from this season and we'll come back stronger next season!

The leadership will come from Ally and hopefully Kastanek or Davis or someone else will step up. Some of the players on this team need to step it up next year because there is some more competition for minutes coming in.
I think Disterhoft has been trying to lead; for whatever reason the followers haven't been paying attention, or at least not enough.

Just noticed that after starting vs Ball State, Kastanek had a total of 4 minutes per the game stats. Wonder if that's a mistake?

Not only do they need leadership, they need depth. Some other people need to be ready to contribute, and Bluder needs to be willing to give more people chances, whether they make mistakes or not.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT