ADVERTISEMENT

WBB recruiting

Big fourth quarter sparks Mason City past Ankeny"After Ankeny tied it at 36, Makenzie Meyer took over. The junior found her way to the basket and scored on a pair of layups, converted four-straight free-throw attempts and scored the game's final eight points. She finished with a game-high 20 points."

Makenzie Meyer 5-13 8-10 20

Megan Gustafson game 3.....41 points (17-24 from the field), and 29 rebounds. Yes, 29.
On the year she is averaging 39.3 ppg and 19.7 rebounds.
At this pace she will end up as Wisconsin's all time scoring leader.The current leader is Jolene Anderson, ex Wisconsin college star. Jolene also played at South Shore HS.

This post was edited on 12/10 12:58 AM by oakhawk

Bre Cera had 29 points Tuesday night including five 3-pointers and 12 of 14 free throws.

Bre's next game is Friday night at Arrowhead.

This post was edited on 12/10 4:23 PM by cyberhawk

Wissports box score

Amanda Ollinger had 25 and 15.
Makenzie Meyer did her Sam Logic imitation with 11 points, 14 rebounds, and 5 assists.

Thanks oakhawk! Always great to read about the Hawkeye women recruits. This year and the next few should be fun to watch!!!

Originally posted by hawkfan55:
This year is fun to watch, but only one player from this great recruiting class is playing more than a minute or two.
Posted from Rivals Mobile
If any of the freshmen could bring greater rebounding or defense they'd see the floor more. But right now I think they are 'just' younger versions of the upperclassmen.

This post was edited on 12/13 1:42 PM by LinusPF

I was hoping (as Gatorade Player of the Year in Minnesota) that Chase Coley would be a freshman sensation. She just isn't mentally or physically ready yet. Kali Peschel has played well...keeping Carly Mohns on the bench. Alexa Kastanek has done the same to Christina Buttenham. Peschel and Kastanek were key to the victory over ISU! Claire Till played well too. She won't score very often...be she battles.

Maybe as the season goes on they'll get some meaningful PT. That would be nice as they will be key to any success next year!

Megan Gustafson had 40 points on 16 of 21 FG and 8 of 8 FT in an easy 69 to 14 rout of their opponent Monday to raise their record to 5-0. Megan also lead the team with 13 rebounds and three steals. Her rebound total was not as impressive as usual due to the fact that there were only 33 combined rebounds for both teams in the game. In fact, that has been generally the case in four of her team's five games (which were mismatches). In those four games she has averaged 14.25 rebounds out of a estimated combined average total of about 45, or approximately 1/3 of all rebounds! In the other game, which was somewhat less of a mismatch, she had 29 of her team's 48 rebounds (no rebound statistics were given for the opponent). Megan is shooting an astounding 72.4% from the field! Megan's next game is Friday.

Wissports / Box score

Reading between the lines on Lisa's call in show recently that Chase needs to work a little harder in practices to earn more playing time.

I read In the newspaper that Tagyn Larson sat out the season opener last weekend due to a sprained ankle. Without her, Roosevelt lost badly to Brandon Valley. Roosevelt is ranked pre-season #2 in South Dakota.

This post was edited on 12/18 10:52 AM by nu2u

An early Christmas present for Jaime Printy Brandt. Jaime runs some Iowa sets, so that should help Amanda in prep for her Iowa days.

I guess that after years of not having any depth, I was hoping we'd go deeper than 3 off the bench.

I understand what you mean but most coaches seem to prefer a 7 or 8 player rotation. Fran gets criticized for playing 10 players or regular basis so it works both ways.

At least this year, there are players there to provide the depth. In past years, there have been only walkons available after first 8 due to injuries, etc.

I understand most rotations are in the 7-8 range. I was just hoping the rotation included more than one member of this hyped recruiting class.

It is a team with 10 returning letter winners . And a demanding preseason schedule.

too bad Lisa didn't recruit a true post player in 2013.

Chase really needs a RS year to get stronger and even then- she is better suited as a 3 or a 4. She has a thin frame and just don't see she banging in the paint during her career.

Originally posted by oakhawk:
 It is a team with 10 returning letter winners . And a demanding preseason schedule.
That counts Reynolds, Schneden, and Smith, I guess. So only 7 that actually played much, and some of them only played because we were a bit desperate, although they did fairly well. Still thought the freshmen would be bigger contributors at this point.

That counts Reynolds, Schneden, and Smith, I guess. So only 7 that actually played much, and some of them only played because we were a bit desperate, although they did fairly well. Still thought the freshmen would be bigger contributors at this point.
Keep in mind that Iowa returned something like 165 minutes per game from last year. (Theairra the only loss averaged between 30 to 35 minutes) That includes five players with starting experience who, barring injury or some such unforeseen circumstance, would most likely see at least the same number of minutes, and the rest of the returning letter winners that would [at least in theory] be competing for more minutes from those 32 +/- minutes that were filled by Theairra. That does not leave a lot of time for the freshmen.

Did you ever watch them play last year. It was an 8 player rotation with only one senior, Terry Taylor. There were no weak sisters either--even the other freshman IAT Disterhoft, Kastaek, was a top 100 recruit (and played well as a novice). The only reason Reynolds has not been in the rotation the past two years was injuries---and this year behind Logic is a Parade All-American, and one of the top freshmen in the BT.

You make no sense. Jennings starts, plays as many minutes as anyone on the team. Buttenham has gotten significant minutes though understandably when Bluder has a solid 8-player rotation she hasn't used Buttenham (or Moens) in games against highly regarded teams like Colorado, Louisville, Iowa State. (Both will play Sunday against Drake).

Freshmen rarely make much of an impact in the early weeks of the season---particularly not when there are five returning starters, 7 rotation regulars returned. It was obvious this summer in the GTL that Coley would need the most development time, has the most need to get stronger of the four freshmen---which is why Bluder has commented frequently about the need to get her as much experience and strength conditionins as possible before next year (in any event, Coloey may not be the starting post in the next season: the Gustafson girl coming in is bigger, stronger, more physically mature at the same age).

Myself, I sort of expected Coley to redshirt, but Bluder rarely offers that option.

I've watched them play since before Vivian started. All I've been saying is that I thought more freshmen would play more minutes at this point. Claire plays with a lot of enthusiasm but the freshmen were hyped as being ready to be counted on to back up Beth. I'm not at all disappointed in the way all the frosh have played; would like to see them more.

I was at the Drake game today. It was fun!!! But...I am with you hawkfan55...I was hoping Chase, Carly and Christina would play more. Claire and Kali are OK. It sure would be nice if someone would step up. Whitney Jennings is great!!!

Watching Iowa women's team play throughout the years, I have to say, wait until this season is over, and we can give a pretty accurate judgment on how Chase, Carly and Christina will turn out in the rest of their careers. There just have been scarcely any late bloomers on Iowa's team. Tangela Smith, Tiffany Gooden, Angela Hamlin, Cara Consuegra, Amy Herrig, Lindsey Meder, Jennie Lillis, Jamie Cavey, Johanna Solverson, Krista Vandeventer, Kristi Smith, Wendy Ausdemore, Megan Skouby, Kamille Wahlin, Kelly Krei, Jaime Printy, Morgan Johnson, Theairra Taylor, Samantha Logic, Melissa Dixon, Bethany Dolittle, Ally Disterhoft,... all great players of the past 20 years, and they all earned significant minutes as freshmen via their outstanding play. Those who didn't, didn't improve through the rest of their career, with the exception of Chrystal Smith and Kachine Alexander, even they improved dramatically during their sophomore years. The only real late bloomer I can think of is probably Jerica Watson, who only started to get 17 rebounds a game when she's a senior. If Iowa can get three freshmen to play well, that's when Iowa wins Big Ten championships -- the Tangela Smith, Tiffany Gooden, Angela Hamlin years and the year with Kristi Smith, Wendy Ausdemore and Megan Skouby as juniors, with help from 6-year senior Johanna Solverson.

Hopefully the other freshman girls step up as the Big Ten season starts. And also, the Logic, Dixon and Dolittle threesome can bring another championship, with the help from Disterhoft and Jennings. The Big Ten is tougher than the '90s or 2008, though. Anyway, look forward to the next two recruiting classes.

Mostly agree with you. Some of the Vivian recruits got much better in their latter years. Smith wasn't allowed to do much until her Jr year (2.9 pt average as a soph.) She could have played as a freshman and been spectacular but didn't gain much time until her Jr year when she was fantastic. A lot of the players you mentioned played because there weren't any talented players in front of them. Beth D. didn't play much as a freshman; total of 116 points.

Watching Iowa women's play through the years, I'd say if we can give a pretty accurate judgment on how Chase, Carly, and Cristina will turn out based on this year's participation, they won't have very good careers. Once Lisa decides to keep players on the bench, they pretty much stay on the bench the rest of the year, barring any injuries. I am planning to enjoy the next two recruiting classes, but I was also planning to enjoy this one.

Actually many players that hardly got minutes as FR turned out to be major contributors later
Kachine Alexander averaged 2.2ppg as a FR. Bethany Doolittle 3.7, Kelly Krei 2.8, Jaime Cavey 2.6, Jenee Graham 1.5, Stacy Sclapkohl 2.8, and Crystal Smith 1.1. Crystal went on to a WNBA career and is the only Iowa BB player, men's or women's to score over 50 points in a game. So don't worry about FR minutes. A lot of factors go into it and it doesn't mean anything for future success.

Mostly agree with you. Some of the Vivian recruits got much better in their latter years. Smith wasn't allowed to do much until her Jr year (2.9 pt average as a soph.) She could have played as a freshman and been spectacular but didn't gain much time until her Jr year when she was fantastic. A lot of the players you mentioned played because there weren't any talented players in front of them. Beth D. didn't play much as a freshman; total of 116 points.

Watching Iowa women's play through the years, I'd say if we can give a pretty accurate judgment on how Chase, Carly, and Cristina will turn out based on this year's participation, they won't have very good careers. Once Lisa decides to keep players on the bench, they pretty much stay on the bench the rest of the year, barring any injuries. I am planning to enjoy the next two recruiting classes, but I was also planning to enjoy this one.
You must be operating from a faulty memory: many of Bluder's players, just as with Vivian Stringer & Angie Lee, have had very successful careers after playing very limited minutes as freshmen---commonly for the same reason that Moens & Buttenham aren't playing more & scoring more (too much depth ahead of them.

Whatever your plans, it would have been foolish to expect more than one freshman to be in the short rotation when the team returns three All-Big Ten seniors and an All-Big Ten freshman. There arefair criticisms of Bluder's coaching, but one thing she doesn't do is bury players for prior lacklustre play. Peschel bricked more last year than a JourneyMan AFL-CIO card-carrying
bricklayer---and she start sometimes this season, and when she doesn't she is the first player off the bench.

Incidentally, if you watch her at all, and understand form & mechanics, you will drop immediately Buttenham from your list of players you expect mediocrity from: all she is going to require to become a first-rate high major player is experience

Iowa's freshman class will come along and be great contributors!!! I was hoping for more this year...especially from Coley as there were minutes there to be had. Buttenham and Mohns are players. As they gain experience...they will deliver. the talent is there. People are too quick to judge! As a former D-1 athlete...I know that the adjustment can be difficult.

Actually many players that hardly got minutes as FR turned out to be major contributors later
Kachine Alexander averaged 2.2ppg as a FR. Bethany Doolittle 3.7, Kelly Krei 2.8, Jaime Cavey 2.6, Jenee Graham 1.5, Stacy Sclapkohl 2.8, and Crystal Smith 1.1. Crystal went on to a WNBA career and is the only Iowa BB player, men's or women's to score over 50 points in a game. So don't worry about FR minutes. A lot of factors go into it and it doesn't mean anything for future success.
Oak, I agree. I was just trying to point out, not very successfully it seems, that Upstream's perception might be a bit off. I still think this year might end up better with Claire getting fewer minutes and one of the unused frosh picking them up. I realize she only had 7 vs. Drake, but Beth didn't get into foul trouble, as she has a history of doing. Again all my opinion, not expert but well meaning.

hawkfan55. I agree with you! It would be great to see Coley or Mohns get some good minutes in the front court. I, do however, love the way Till plays. She has a chip on her shoulder and really battles. She is athletic...but a little limited because of her knees. If she could just score 6-8 points/game...she be great weapon...but probably not going to happen.

I am no expert...but the book on Coley seems to be a lack of mental and physical toughness. She hasn't played in the post for that long. She was a guard in her early high school years...until a growth spurt. She'll mature and be a player soon enough.

Mohns has the toughness and will rebound. She just needs to polish her offensive game a little. She will!

Go Hawks!!!

Buttenham had a great game yesterday, 5-8 and 11 points. I think we'll look back on her career and be very pleased with how she did.

This is very, very fishy. If the rule states she is able to move (physically change address) to Marion, and is eligible to start right away, so be it. But, this is really a bunch of crap for Jeff, coaches and other players.

$100 per week in gas, for travel? It's not like driving across the Chicago metro, it's Cedar Rapids. Her dad owns his business, price of gas is going down. And, she's going to play for Printy? Why didn't she finish out this season at Jeff, then transfer for her senior season to Linn-Mar?

Originally posted by Cerro Gordo Hawk:
This is very, very fishy. If the rule states she is able to move (physically change address) to Marion, and is eligible to start right away, so be it. But, this is really a bunch of crap for Jeff, coaches and other players.

$100 per week in gas, for travel? It's not like driving across the Chicago metro, it's Cedar Rapids. Her dad owns his business, price of gas is going down. And, she's going to play for Printy? Why didn't she finish out this season at Jeff, then transfer for her senior season to Linn-Mar?
While American families have been getting more child-centered ove the past sixty years, in Iowa it would still not be the norm for a teenager to decide where the family lives. My impression is that Amanda Ollinger is no more happy at being uprooted away from her friends, school, neighborhood, team than her coach & teammmates are to see her leave. Her parents are in business in Marion, and it is thorughly understandable that they want to live nearby, for all those t imes when living close is helpful to the conduct of an entreprenurial small business.

From the selfish standpoint of an Iowa women's diehard fan, I will add the unseemly comment that it certainly should help Ollinger prepare to contribute significantly to the Hawkeyes from the moment she enrolls at Iowa to have spend almost two seasons playing for Jaime Printy and her background of absorbing Bluder's coaching approach, systems, game plans.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT