ADVERTISEMENT

WBB recruiting

This thread is veering off topic. Instead of debating this year's Iowa team, let's talk about recruits.
Megan Gustafson had 47 points and 26 rebounds in her game. They also won today. Tania Davis had 35 in her last game.
Hannah Stewart had 17 points and 19 rebounds but team had their state record winning streak ended by a Fargo team ranked #1 in Class A. The Fargo team has won 21 straight. Bishop Ryan is #1 in Class B.
Tagyn Larson is out with an ankle sprain.
Amanda Ollinger is averaging 17.8 ppg and 11.7 rebounds.
Makenzie Meyer is averaging 21 ppg and 8.6 rebounds.
Bre Cera is averaging 16.9 ppg.
Tania Davis is averaging 19..4 ppg
Alexis Sevillian is averaging 16.7 ppg.

This post was edited on 12/31 9:29 AM by oakhawk

Megan Gustafson had 38 points, 22 rebounds, and 7 blocks in her last game.
She is averaging 38.8 ppg and 19.5 rebounds. She has 2.412 career points. She is 469 points from the state record.

This post was edited on 12/31 10:20 AM by oakhawk

Megan

Geez, how many recruits do we have coming in? I counted 7 in one post above? Too lazy to look it up.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Actually...it's 4 for 2015 and 4 for 2016. 8 total. A bunch of really good players!!!

Goodrich 50, Chicago Crete Monee 39: Tania Davis leads Lady Martians with 35 pointsSenior guard Tania Davis scored 35 points, hauled in eight rebounds, and dished out five assists in Goodrich's 50-39 win over Chicago Crete Monee on Tuesday, Dec. 30. Alexis Sevillian posted 13 points...

"Tania showed why she is one of the frontrunners for Miss Basketball with an incredible performance," Goodrich coach Jason Gray said.

http://highschoolsports.mlive.com/news/article/5875318678659745448/goodrich-50-chicago-crete-monee-39-tania-davis-leads-lady-martians-with-35-points/

Wow Tania Davis ! scored 70% of her team's points - I will proceed to go out on the proverbial tree limb and assume that this game was not a good match-up for the opponent's guards ........ or, even better, maybe it wasn't that bad of a match-up and she torched them anyway. The link to the box score didn't show number of FGAs, FTAs, etc, so I wonder how many shots she attempted. Even if it was a weak opponent, that statline is pretty darn impressive. IIRC she was very interested in MSU but the Spartans did not reciprocate with an offer -looking more and more like a steal for the Hawkeyes.

Originally posted by nu2u:

Wow Tania Davis ! scored 70% of her team's points - I will proceed to go out on the proverbial tree limb and assume that this game was not a good match-up for the opponent's guards ........ or, even better, maybe it wasn't that bad of a match-up and she torched them anyway. The link to the box score didn't show number of FGAs, FTAs, etc, so I wonder how many shots she attempted. Even if it was a weak opponent, that statline is pretty darn impressive. IIRC she was very interested in MSU but the Spartans did not reciprocate with an offer -looking more and more like a steal for the Hawkeyes.
Martians will always win out over mere earthlings.

It will be tough to replace Logic, Dixon and Doolittle (actually it won't be possible)...that is no knock on Lisa and staff. They are just 3 unbelievable players in the same class!!!

However...Lisa and staff have done a great job of recruiting!!! They have a really good combination of front court and back court players coming in over the next 2 seasons.

We need to get another grayshirt like Dixon!

Kidding aside, I wish Virginia hadn't ended her career early, and also that Jaime Printy and Morgan Johnson were still playing on this team, or that Dixon and Dolittle were playing like they are now when Printy and Johnson were still on the team. That would be a sure fire Big Ten championship team, perhaps Elite 8. This is the level of talent we need on every team for the next step.

Have to agree on Virginia, she was super talented. I thought she was going to do great things. Concussions are noting to fool around with. Too bad, I am sure she wished she could of stayed.

B9315631531Z.1_20141226223303_000_GLH9H3HPE.1-0.jpg

Roosevelt's Tagyn Larson is an Iowa recruit who averaged 15.8 points, 8.1 rebounds and 3.6 blocks per game last season.

Tagyn Larson, sr., Roosevelt[/B] - There's not a team in the state more deprived of its star player than the Rough Riders, who are waiting patiently as their 6-foot-1 Iowa recruit nurses a sprained ankle. Larson has been a force in Class AA over the years, averaging as a junior 15.8 points, 8.1 rebounds and a ridiculous 3.6 blocks a game. Larson's return should give a huge boost to the young Rough Riders on both sides of the floor.

This post was edited on 1/6 7:07 PM by cyberhawk

Argus Leader

Hannah Stewart had a triple double last week (12/29/14). She scored 18 points, had 13 rebounds (9 offensive) and made 10 steals. She also contributed 4 assists and three blocks.

Last edited:
Makenzie Meyer had a career high 31 points against defending state champ DM Dowling.

Originally posted by cyberhawk:
ec

Roosevelt's Tagyn Larson is an Iowa recruit who averaged 15.8 points, 8.1 rebounds and 3.6 blocks per game last season.

Tagyn Larson, sr., Roosevelt[/B] - There's not a team in the state more deprived of its star player than the Rough Riders, who are waiting patiently as their 6-foot-1 Iowa recruit nurses a sprained ankle. Larson has been a force in Class AA over the years, averaging as a junior 15.8 points, 8.1 rebounds and a ridiculous 3.6 blocks a game. Larson's return should give a huge boost to the young Rough Riders on both sides of the floor.

This post was edited on 1/6 7:07 PM by cyberhawk
Larson returned to action (ankle sprain) last night scoring 22 points (on 9-12 FG) adding 9 rebounds but Roosevelt (2-5) blew a 16 point 4th quarter lead in a 54-53 loss to Marshall, MN.

Lisa is recruiting IA, MN, IL and MIch(with a 10 mile detour into SD). That's a pretty good area to recruit. She and her staff are doing great

Also Wisconsin, N Dakota, Nebraska, Indiana, Ohio, Ontario Canada and at least two former players that I can recall from Missouri and possibly one IIRC from Kansas. :)

It's great to read about the success of the future Hawks!!! Thanks to those that post the updates! Nice to see read that Tagyn Larson is back on the court and that Makenzie Meyer is playing well. The future looks bright.

Cyber or oakhawk, any new news on Lisa's recruiting for 2016? I assume she is done for 2015 and is looking for a center for 2016. Any new names out there? What's your thinking on this?

Megan Gustafson (2015) is a center at 6-3 or 6-4. She is a scoring and rebounding machine (albeit at small town Wisconsin). Hopefully...she'll be a force from the git go. She needs to be along with great improvement from Chase Coley.

I would like to see Lisa land a "bruiser" like the Illinois freshman center that worked the Hawks over pretty good last night. She is 6-3 and "solid". She moved the Iowa "bigs" around with ease.

Chatrice White is the Illinois FR center. Iowa recruited her heavily (as did Nebraska) but she chose Illinois.

She's a good one Oakhawk! Iowa needs a player like that!!! Maybe Megan Gustafson can add some "power".

How was Chase Coley's rebounding when in high school? Right now her build is still too thin for a college center. I hope Gustafson has a thicker body.

I have been saying for 2 years that Chase will never be a low post plyaer on offense or defense- not strong enough.

i realize that Lisa went after White, but she should have had a plan b for a true center.

The way Iowa's offense works, they like a post that is mobile and can run the floor. Chase is a Doolittle build type. She averaged around 18 rebounds a game in HS. She can jump and handle the ball. It would be nice to have an enforcer though.
I think Mean Gustafson will be more of a traditional low post. And she will have some help from 6-2 Tagyn Larson and 6-2 Hannah Stewart.

Amanda Ollinger is starting to fit in at Linn-Mar. The game before this link she has a 3 point play with 0.3 left to beat #6 Cedar .Falls.

Amanda

Tania Davis had 28 and Lexi Sevillian had 15 in a win over previously undefeated Flint Beecher.

Bre Cera is averaging 16.6 ppg for her 11-2 team. they have won 6 in a row.

Hannah Stewart had 25 points and 10 rebounds in a win. Then just missed a triple double, with 24 points, 11 rebounds, and 9 assists in her next game.

This post was edited on 1/12 1:25 PM by oakhawk

This post was edited on 1/12 1:31 PM by oakhawk

Makenzie Meyer is averaging 19.3 ppg and 8 rebounds. Shooting 79% from the FT line.

I sure hope Gustafson, Stewart and Larson can rebound at the B1G level. This year's team is a very poor rebounding team.

Congrats to all 4 of Iowa's 2015 class for being McDonald's AA nominees. Tania, Tagyn, Hannah, and Megan! The nomination puts them in the pool for the 24 player McDonald's AA team.

On the McD AA thing.....
Tania is one of three from the state of Michigan
Megan one of two from Wisconsin
Hannah the only one from ND
Tagyn one of four from SD
On the other hand the state of Texas nominated 43, Florida 29, and California 18. I guess you could justify the number because of large populations. But New York only has six, Michigan only named three, Illinois 9, Ohio 10, Penn. 8. While Maryland named 16 and Oregon had 25!. The nominations come from states coaches and officials, so the process seems to be quite different from state to state.

Hannah Stewart's Girls Basketball Stats

Through eleven games Hannah is averaging a double double in points and rebounds (double figures in six games for rebounds and missing by one rebound in two other games) and has had double figures in blocks (once), steals (three times) and assists (once). She has had five double doubles and three triple doubles (she had two double doubles without double figures in rebounds and missed a triple double by one rebound in one game and a quadruple double in the same game by an additional two steals).

Also, she has attempted 15 3-pointers and made five for 33.3% (4 of her last 8 attempts after starting 1 for 7) and is shooting nearly 60% from 2-point range.

MaxPreps lists her at 6'3".

This post was edited on 1/15 7:52 PM by cyberhawk

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT