ADVERTISEMENT

WBB summer 2015

cyberhawk

HR MVP
Jun 30, 2009
With the draft this week getting the GTL season started and the foreign tour also this summer, I have started this thread to discuss everything about the WBB for this summer. By combining the comments for GTL and the foreign tour into one single general thread about the team, we can keep it fresh (on the first page of the forum topics) and relevant (separate from recruiting) at the same time.

I will be watching for any announcements about the draft. Thanks to everyone in advance.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dfschmidt1940
Comfort Care Medicare/LL
Pelling

Coach Bethany Doolittle
Bethany Doolittle—French Pro
Hailey
Schneden—Iowa
Tagyn Larson—Iowa
Brett Logic—St. Ambrosse
Mariah
Swartzentruer—Central College
Jazz Royster—Iowa Central CC
Kayla Contreras—St.
Ambrose
Hannah Bindner—St. Ambrose

Marion Iron Company

Coach Randy
Larson
Whitney Jennings—Iowa
Claire Till—Iowa
Moran Lonning—Luther
Kylie
Romeo—Luther
Emily Neff-Cenral College
Emily Soy—St. Ambrose
Griffin Reed—St.
Ambrose
Gabrielle Koelker—Burlington Notre Dame HS

Cullen
Painting/Joensy's

Coach Brian Joens
Alexa Kastanek—Iowa
Nicole
Smith—Iowa
Ashley Joens—City High
Lindsey Smith—St. Ambrose
Rachel
Edmundson—Truman State
Allison Boyer—Wartburg College
Allyson Scott-Carthage
College
Riley Kilbride—Burlington Notre Dame HS

Vinton
Merchants/Culver's

Coach Joe Johnston
Chase Coley—Iowa
Carly
Mohns—Iowa
Isabella Lozano-Dobbs—Indiana Tech
Sydney Greiner—St.
Ambrose
Taylor Hickey—Quincy College
Madison Meier—Upper Iowa
Candace
Wilson—Defenders AAU
Taylor White—Muscatine
HS

McCurry’s/Blendcard

Coach Brendan Unkrich
Kali
Peschel—Iowa
Hannah Stewart—Iowa
Courney Strait—Truman State
Stephanie
Botkin—Washington University
Rylee Voss—Kirkwood
Anna Madrigal—Luther
Kristin
Kramer—University of Nebraska at Kearney
Mary Crompton—IC Regina HS

Beat
the Bookstore/Westport Touchless Autowash

Coach Kay DiLeo
Tania
Davis—Iowa
Megan Gustafson—Iowa
Deja Jackson—Penn
Kate
Letkewicz—Dartmouth
Morgan Myers—St. Ambrose
Olivia
Montague—Wisconsin-Parkside
Hannah Bluder—Solon HS
Tatum Koenig—West Liberty
HS

Comfort Care Medicare/LL
Pelling

Coach Bethany Doolittle
Bethany Doolittle—French Pro
Hailey
Schneden—Iowa
Tagyn Larson—Iowa
Brett Logic—St. Ambrosse
Mariah
Swartzentruer—Central College
Jazz Royster—Iowa Central CC
Kayla Contreras—St.
Ambrose
Hannah Bindner—St. Ambrose

Marion Iron Company

Coach Randy
Larson
Whitney Jennings—Iowa
Claire Till—Iowa
Moran Lonning—Luther
Kylie
Romeo—Luther
Emily Neff-Cenral College
Emily Soy—St. Ambrose
Griffin Reed—St.
Ambrose
Gabrielle Koelker—Burlington Notre Dame HS

Cullen
Painting/Joensy's

Coach Brian Joens
Alexa Kastanek—Iowa
Nicole
Smith—Iowa
Ashley Joens—City High
Lindsey Smith—St. Ambrose
Rachel
Edmundson—Truman State
Allison Boyer—Wartburg College
Allyson Scott-Carthage
College
Riley Kilbride—Burlington Notre Dame HS

Vinton
Merchants/Culver's

Coach Joe Johnston
Chase Coley—Iowa
Carly
Mohns—Iowa
Isabella Lozano-Dobbs—Indiana Tech
Sydney Greiner—St.
Ambrose
Taylor Hickey—Quincy College
Madison Meier—Upper Iowa
Candace
Wilson—Defenders AAU
Taylor White—Muscatine
HS

McCurry’s/Blendcard

Coach Brendan Unkrich
Kali
Peschel—Iowa
Hannah Stewart—Iowa
Courney Strait—Truman State
Stephanie
Botkin—Washington University
Rylee Voss—Kirkwood
Anna Madrigal—Luther
Kristin
Kramer—University of Nebraska at Kearney
Mary Crompton—IC Regina HS

Beat
the Bookstore/Westport Touchless Autowash

Coach Kay DiLeo
Tania
Davis—Iowa
Megan Gustafson—Iowa
Deja Jackson—Penn
Kate
Letkewicz—Dartmouth
Morgan Myers—St. Ambrose
Olivia
Montague—Wisconsin-Parkside
Hannah Bluder—Solon HS
Tatum Koenig—West Liberty
HS
No Ally as expected. The other not playing is Christina Buttenham Maybe doing something for CANADA. Kali got drafted, even though she will miss most of it.

I was thinking that it was virtually a foregone conclusion that Christina would play for Canadian Women's Jr National team. I believe they are in the Pan-Am games in Toronto in which case Christina may have an opportunity to play against the U.S. Team coached by Lisa Bluder. I think the U.S. and Canada are in separate pools.

Last edited:
A couple of notes.....
Looks like Bethany might be a player/coach. Hannah Bluder is playing. I thought maybe Megan's sister, ,might play. She is at Upper Iowa.

With the draft this week getting the GTL season started and the foreign tour also this summer, I have started this thread to discuss everything about the WBB for this summer. By combining the comments for GTL and the foreign tour into one single general thread about the team, we can keep the it fresh (on the first page of the forum topics) and relevant (separate from recruiting) at the same time.

I will be watching for any announcements about the draft. Thanks to everyone in advance.
Where are they going on their tour. I will be in Denmark and France.

Rosters are up at gametimeleague.com
Opening night match ups:
Doolittle, Schneden, Larson versus Jennings, Till 6pm
Kastanek, Smith (Joens) versus Davis , Gustafson 6pm
Stewart (Peschel NA) versus Colely, Mohns 7:30pm

I was thinking that it was virtually a foregone conclusion that Christina would play for Canadian Women's Jr National team. I believe they are in the Pan-Am games in Toronto in which case Christina may have an opportunity to play against the U.S. Team coached by Lisa Bluder. I think the U.S. and Canada are in separate pools.

I stand corrected...
WOMEN'S U18/U19
In 2014, the team captured the silver medal at the U18 FIBA Americas in Colorado Springs, qualifying them to compete in the 2015 U19 FIBA World Championship for Women in Chekhov, Russia from July 18-26.
8d177b9a5ffd97816b3cd6d87a9a75c5.jpg

CHRISTINA BUTTENHAM

Position: Shooting Guard

Height: 5-11

Birthdate: 1996-09-01

Hometown: Hamilton, Ontario

VIEW PROFILE

Regarding GTL draft, an interesting thought: had Doolittle not drafted herself as the 1st overall pick, but rather some other player, would she still be available for herself's team in the second round? What if some other team drafted her?

Went to the GTL games late today, and saw that Tagyn Larson was at the gym but did not play. Was she injured or there's some other reason?

Reactions: cyberhawk
Opening night report....
The team with Whit Jennings and Claire Till romped over the team with Bethany Doolittle and Hailey Schneden. Whit's team scored 126 points. They have two excellent guards in Whit and Lonning from Luther. Tagyn Larson was there but didn't play. She was on the bench in street clothes. She said that the ankle she injured in HS had a bone bruise. She has been scrimmaging some but is being held out of games as a precaution. She isn't limping or wearing a boot.
The other first game was also a blowout with Tania Davis and Megan Gustafson winning over Lex Kastanek and Nicole Smith.
Megan is just under Nicole's 6-4 height and solid. She kind of reminds me of JR year Morgan Johnson on offense. She needs to be more physical on her rebounding and isn't polished on defense, but shows a lot of potential.
You can tell Tania Davis lives basketball. She sees things most FR don't. great vision and passer. She began as just running offense but when the offense bogged down for a bit she turned on the offense. She will be fun.
Nicole didn't do a whole bunch except battle Megan. Lex played well. It was nice to see her play in the summer without a foot injuries.
In the late game it was a close one and I left late in the 4th quarter. That is right, quarter. They are playing by the new WBB rules. Quarters, 5 fouls and you shoot 2 FT, fewer TOs, etc. They also had 30 second shot clocks set up.
Hannah Stewart looks to be just under Chase Colely's 6-3. She is mobile and can handle the ball. She had trouble getting any offense going. Chase altered a lot of shots of the opponents and had some blocks. She also showed a nice 10 foot jumper. Played well.
Carly Mohns rebounded and defended plus hit jump shots out to 3pt.She looks good.
Unkrich, the coach must not have know Kali was going to be gone at the draft time. But he had a replacement, Christina Buttenham!
Christina ran the point. That will be good for her, she got a lot of work on ball handling against a quick guard.
All in all, a bit rusty but athletic players with talent.

Last edited:
Some stats...
Tania had 26 points, 9 rebounds , 7 assists (4-7 3pt)
Megan had 20 points, 14 rebounds and 5 blocks.
Whit had 34 points and 9 assists.

Line of the night Tania to Megan, after Megan got a rebound and then got it knocked out of her hands, "Don't bring that ball down low, Lady."

Oak, will they be streaming any games like they have for the men's ptl in the past?

Some stats...
Tania had 26 points, 9 rebounds , 7 assists (4-7 3pt)
Megan had 20 points, 14 rebounds and 5 blocks.
Whit had 34 points and 9 assists.

Line of the night Tania to Megan, after Megan got a rebound and then got it knocked out of her hands, "Don't bring that ball down low, Lady."
LOL, but how does Tania at 5-4 keep from bringing the ball down low?
An error-- I typed Iowa instead of low. But I was joking that at 5-4 she herself would have to bring the ball down down low enough to get it knocked away. Bet she doesn't let that happen very often, though.

Last edited:
Some stats from the newspaper box scores...
Christina 14 points
Hannah 13 points and 10 rebounds
Chase 20 points and 16 rebounds
Carly 25 points
Whitney 34 points 9 rebounds and 9 assists
Claire 26 points
Hailey 14 points
Alexa 18 points
Nicole 8 points 9 rebounds
Tania 26 points 9 rebounds 6 assists
Megan 19 points 19 rebounds

Isn't Whitney a point guard? It seems like everyone just assumes Tania will be the pg, but Whitney is also very fast and a little taller. What gives?

Isn't Whitney a point guard? It seems like everyone just assumes Tania will be the pg, but Whitney is also very fast and a little taller. What gives?
Most likely both will play PG Whitney played the2 last year. Height may become issue at times but their speed and quickness will be factors too

Whit played both guard positions last year. Sometimes Sam gave her the ball and let her run the point. She is more of a scoring PG. I expect her shooting percentages to go up this year. She wasn't always sure if she should take the shot last season.When you have three 1,000 point scorers on the floor, and the other starter is your leading scorer, it is easy to defer. She can be a much bigger threat, and I think she will show that.

Some other notes of interest....
Whit was 12-20 from the field, 7-11 from 3
Claire was 5-6 from 3
Tania was 11-17 from the field and 4-7 from 3
Ashley Joens had 19
Hannah Bluder had 12 points and was 4-5 from 3
Megan was 8-11 from the field

Iowa will have plenty of scoring options again next year.

I hope the Iowa ladies are using summer league to work on their rebounding and defense.

Incoming Hawkeye shines in Game Time premier
The Daily Iowan

She might not be the tallest player on the court, but Tania Davis may be the fastest. And even though the incoming freshman from Michigan may have been her team’s leading scorer with 26 points, she isn’t always the first to take a shot. The guard, a true playmaker on the floor, was a step ahead of the opposition on Wednesday night as Kay DiLeo’s squad defeated Brian Joens’ team 102-78. Davis tied for the game’s highest number of assists at 6, but when she did decide to shoot, she proved to be deadly, going 11-for-17.

“It’s just really fun playing with all these incredible athletes,” Davis said.

For DiLeo’s squad, the offense was maintained by strong perimeter scoring from Davis (4-of-7 from the 3 zone) and Olivia Montague, and a down-low presence from Megan Gustafson, leaving the Joens defense at times helpless. The play under the rim was the battle all night. Two Hawkeyes, Nicole Smith for Joens and Gustafson for DiLeo, fought it out for rebounds, blocks, and scoring all evening. Joens’ team wasn’t without its own scoring force. Ashley Joens and Alexa Kastenek combined for a total of 37 points, but coming into the fourth quarter down 30, every basket they drained was matched by DiLeo’s group. In the end, her team’s quick offense, intuitive passing, and power under the boards that gave it the victory.

“I thought all of them played really well,” DiLeo said. “I think in particular Megan Gustafson, her effort and what she can do inside really helped us in the end.”

In other opening-night action, player-coach Bethany Doolittle and Randy Larson’s team squared off. In the end, Larson’s team emerged victorious 126-78, with the star of the show, Whitney Jennings, [was] an assist and a rebound short of a triple-double.

In the final game of the night, the theme was all about defense, as Joe Johnston’s team beat Brendan Unkrich’s, 57-51. Johnston’s group played on the back end especially tight, but during the first half came up short on offense. Chase Coley was the defensive star of the game, but she and her team had trouble finishing on the other side of the court due to the equally effective defending of Unkrich’s squad. Luckily for Johnston, Unkrich’s play was riddled with turnovers. The game was as close as it could get going into the third, but the aggressive strength of Hawkeye teammates Carly Mohns and Coley started to overpower the fast-paced offense of Unkrich’s team. Incoming freshman Hannah Stewart answered the call, playing effective offense in the post and bringing Unkrich within 3 points of Johnston with fewer than two minutes left in the game. Four fouls in five-consecutive Unkrich possessions put his team within reach of a victory. But his squad soon resorted to fouling in order to stop the clock, and two late free throws from Mohns sealed the game for Johnston.

“[Carly and I] are pretty big bodies, and we both have really good shot-blocking abilities,” Coley said. “Our teammates worked really hard around the perimeter and to force them one way or another.”

Last edited:
Well, she was Gatorade POY in both sports. And also Miss Basketball. So I guess basketball wins 2-1.

Pair of Iowa women's basketball freshmen impress as Game Time League teammates

Point guard Davis, center Gustafson know they have big shoes to fill in Hawkeye program

By Nathan Ford, The Gazette

EP-150619712.jpg&MaxW=995&MaxH=500

Iowa freshman Megan Gustafson rises for a shot [over Nicole Smith] during the first game of the Game Time League Wednesday, June 17, at the North Liberty Recreation Center.

Game Time tonight...
I watched Megan and Tania in the early game. Megan was going up against Bethany Doolittle. She had a hard time at first but did better as the game went along. Megan ended up with 16 points and 15 rebounds. Their coach was a sub. He told Tania she could take over the game, So she did. She was deadly from 3pt, had a bunch of rebounds, and a lot of assists. Maybe a triple double. Tania had 37 points.
I only watched a little of the Alexa/Nicole vs. Chase/Carly game. Lex and Nicole won. Nicole went out with an ankle sprain. You could tell that they have started summer workouts and lifting. They didn't have quite the bounce in their step.
In the late game, Whitney was deadly on the pull up jumper and Claire was still shooting the three well and they were up 15 when I left at the end of three quarters. Christina was playing well and Hannah was more settled for the other team.

Media is reporting Tania had 34. Chase had 26 points and 12 rebounds. Carly had 26 points and 15 rebounds. Lex had 21.

Good to see Carly playing well, scoring and rebounding. She is a good rebounder, just needs some opportunities. Thanks for the updates.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT